Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cooking prime rib

Or a rib roast. I have a 4.5 pound certified angus bone in rib roast for
tomorrow night. Given what it cost me, I'd like it to come out perfect. I
Googled prime rib cooking and came up with too many different ways. High heat,
low heat, long time, short time. I don't want to experiment with this. Can
anyone point me in the right direction?Of course, I have a feeling I'll get
those who think high heat, low heat, long time, short time. :-)
Thanks.

Oh, and another question. I only have one oven. How could I make Yorkshire
pudding or popovers while cooking the roast with the temperatures required so
different. Or can/should I?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 21, 12:30*pm, wrote:
> Or a rib roast. I have a 4.5 pound certified angus bone in rib roast for
> tomorrow night. Given what it cost me, I'd like it to come out perfect. *I
> Googled prime rib cooking and came up with too many different ways. High heat,
> low heat, long time, short time. I don't want to experiment with this. Can
> anyone point me in the right direction?Of course, I have a feeling I'll get
> those who think high heat, low heat, long time, short time. *:-)
> Thanks.
>
> Oh, and another question. I only have one oven. How could I make Yorkshire
> pudding or popovers while cooking the roast with the temperatures required so
> different. Or can/should I?

You should just go out to eat if you can't figure it out.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 12:38:49 -0700 (PDT), Chemo the Clown
> wrote:

>On Apr 21, 12:30*pm, wrote:
>> Or a rib roast. I have a 4.5 pound certified angus bone in rib roast for
>> tomorrow night. Given what it cost me, I'd like it to come out perfect. *I
>> Googled prime rib cooking and came up with too many different ways. High heat,
>> low heat, long time, short time. I don't want to experiment with this. Can
>> anyone point me in the right direction?Of course, I have a feeling I'll get
>> those who think high heat, low heat, long time, short time. *:-)
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Oh, and another question. I only have one oven. How could I make Yorkshire
>> pudding or popovers while cooking the roast with the temperatures required so
>> different. Or can/should I?

>You should just go out to eat if you can't figure it out.

More like Asshole the clown.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 21, 1:11*pm, wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 12:38:49 -0700 (PDT), Chemo the Clown
>
> > wrote:
> >On Apr 21, 12:30*pm, wrote:
> >> Or a rib roast. I have a 4.5 pound certified angus bone in rib roast for
> >> tomorrow night. Given what it cost me, I'd like it to come out perfect.. *I
> >> Googled prime rib cooking and came up with too many different ways. High heat,
> >> low heat, long time, short time. I don't want to experiment with this. Can
> >> anyone point me in the right direction?Of course, I have a feeling I'll get
> >> those who think high heat, low heat, long time, short time. *:-)
> >> Thanks.

> >> Oh, and another question. I only have one oven. How could I make Yorkshire
> >> pudding or popovers while cooking the roast with the temperatures required so
> >> different. Or can/should I?

> >You should just go out to eat if you can't figure it out.

> More like Asshole the clown.

Well smarty Bob, you did say "Of course, I have a feeling I'll get
>> those who think high heat, low heat, long time, short time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> Or a rib roast. I have a 4.5 pound certified angus bone in rib roast for
> tomorrow night. Given what it cost me, I'd like it to come out perfect. *I
> Googled prime rib cooking and came up with too many different ways. High heat,
> low heat, long time, short time. I don't want to experiment with this. Can
> anyone point me in the right direction?Of course, I have a feeling I'll get
> those who think high heat, low heat, long time, short time. *

Unless you feel like experimenting just stab your roast with a meat
thermometer and put it into a 325ºF oven, pull it out when your
thermometer says it's cooked medium rare... have it rest for 15
minutes and have at it with a sharp knife. I don't season rib roast
with anything other than lots of freshly cracked black pepper and a
little kosher salt... rub with a little olive oil. A pricey cut of
meat is not something to fool around experimenting with... rib roast
should never be cooked past medium rare... if you like more well done
go with a cheaper cut (round/chuck) and cook pot roast.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 21, 4:43*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> wrote:
> > Or a rib roast. I have a 4.5 pound certified angus bone in rib roast for
> > tomorrow night. Given what it cost me, I'd like it to come out perfect. *I
> > Googled prime rib cooking and came up with too many different ways. High heat,
> > low heat, long time, short time. I don't want to experiment with this. Can
> > anyone point me in the right direction?Of course, I have a feeling I'll get
> > those who think high heat, low heat, long time, short time.

> Unless you feel like experimenting just stab your roast with a meat
> thermometer and put it into a 325ºF oven, pull it out when your
> thermometer says it's cooked medium rare... have it rest for 15
> minutes and have at it with a sharp knife. *I don't season rib roast
> with anything other than lots of freshly cracked black pepper and a
> little kosher salt... rub with a little olive oil. *A pricey cut of
> meat is not something to fool around experimenting with... rib roast
> should never be cooked past medium rare... if you like more well done
> go with a cheaper cut (round/chuck) and cook pot roast.

That's good advice. When I used to make it in the restaurant, I'd put
it in the oven (convection oven) at 500F for 1/2 hour. Then lower
heat to 200F for about geez, I forget the exact time, (we're talking
1978 here) maybe 2-3 hours(convection oven time!). Use meat thermo as
suggested. Yorkshire pudding doesn't need that long. When the roast
comes out, crank up the heat accordingly and bake them. I always put
cooking oil into a muffin pan, put it in the oven to get it nice and
hot, then put the batter into the muffin pan. It's not the classic
way to make yorkshire pudding but...
The roast can stand around a couple of hours at least.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 15:30:00 -0400, wrote:

>Or a rib roast. I have a 4.5 pound certified angus bone in rib roast for
>tomorrow night. Given what it cost me, I'd like it to come out perfect. I
>Googled prime rib cooking and came up with too many different ways. High heat,
>low heat, long time, short time. I don't want to experiment with this. Can
>anyone point me in the right direction?Of course, I have a feeling I'll get
>those who think high heat, low heat, long time, short time. :-)
>Thanks.
>
>Oh, and another question. I only have one oven. How could I make Yorkshire
>pudding or popovers while cooking the roast with the temperatures required so
>different. Or can/should I?

There are two ways, depends on what you want for the result.

High heat:
You get a nice bark, the outer ring will be well done, the inner
section will be pink. Two flavors, both good with a very tender
center.

Low heat:
Much less of a bark, even color through the entire slice. Pink is
best, but some like other shades of doneness.

I cook ours at 450 degrees with the convection on. When the
thermometer hits 115 degrees, it comes out of the oven and sits for 20
minutes. Meantime, the temperature continues to rise as the heat
moves to the center.

Note that at lower heat cooking, the temperature rise will be less so
you have to cook it to a higher temperature to get the same degree of
doneness.

Remember, you can always toss slices on the grill or in a pan if it is
undercooked. If it is overcooked, you can't un-cook it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 21, 12:30*pm, wrote:
> Or a rib roast. I have a 4.5 pound certified angus bone in rib roast for
> tomorrow night. Given what it cost me, I'd like it to come out perfect. *I
> Googled prime rib cooking and came up with too many different ways. High heat,
> low heat, long time, short time. I don't want to experiment with this. Can
> anyone point me in the right direction?Of course, I have a feeling I'll get
> those who think high heat, low heat, long time, short time. *:-)
> Thanks.
>
> Oh, and another question. I only have one oven. How could I make Yorkshire
> pudding or popovers while cooking the roast with the temperatures required so
> different. Or can/should I?

Just a preparation suggestion:

Cut the ribs away from the roast. Cut the fat off in one piece.
Season the meat. Tie the fat and ribs back in place. After cooking,
remove the ribs and fat and carve. Save the ribs for another time.

http://www.richardfisher.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> Or a rib roast. I have a 4.5 pound certified angus bone in rib roast for
> tomorrow night. Given what it cost me, I'd like it to come out perfect. I
> Googled prime rib cooking and came up with too many different ways. High
> heat,
> low heat, long time, short time. I don't want to experiment with this. Can
> anyone point me in the right direction?Of course, I have a feeling I'll
> get
> those who think high heat, low heat, long time, short time. :-)
> Thanks.

Dry the roast in the fridge for 2-3 days. Keep covered but allow air to
circulate. To cook: oven at 450. Put some water in the pan to keep it from
getting smokey as the fat cooks off. Pat the roast thoroughly with kosher
salt and fresh ground pepper. Use a LOT. I've never found the need for any
more seasoning. Into the oven for 30 minutes then turn down to 325 @ 20
minutes per pound for a medium rare. I like to leave the rib bones on and
then cut free when ready to serve. If you use a thermometer remember to
take the roast our 15 degrees before the target temperature. So 120 in this
case.

> Oh, and another question. I only have one oven. How could I make Yorkshire
> pudding or popovers while cooking the roast with the temperatures required
> so
> different. Or can/should I?

They are not popovers, completely different. Use the roast resting time to
cook the puddings. Have the batter ready 30 minutes before the roast comes
out. Whip air into the egg/milk mixture then add flour but do not mix
aggressively. Start with warm eggs. Remove roast, cover to rest. Raise
the oven temp to 425 while preparing the muffin pan. Add 1 tablespoon of
the fat from the roast to each cup, swirl it around really well and then
into the oven until it is *screaming hot.* Now pour your batter into each
cup, 3/4 full, as fast as you can. I use my Pyrex mixer for this as it is
easy to pour. Back into the oven for 20-25 minutes. The trick is hot hot
hot and more hot. Also, a non-stick muffin pan is best.

Good luck.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The way I've always done it is cooked it at 500 for 5 minutes a pound,
then turn the oven off and let it sit it the oven for two hours (do
not open the door). If the internal temperature is not 135 degrees C,
turn the oven up to 375 and cook it until it reaches 135, but it's
usually doesn't take an additional 20 minutes to get it to 135. Let
it sit for 15 minutes, then start carving. Before cooking I rub it
down with a little olive oil then Montreal Steak seasoning.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"A Moose in Love" wrote in message

On Apr 21, 4:43 pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> wrote:
> > Or a rib roast. I have a 4.5 pound certified angus bone in rib roast for
> > tomorrow night. Given what it cost me, I'd like it to come out perfect.
> > Googled prime rib cooking and came up with too many different ways. High
> > heat,
> > low heat, long time, short time. I don't want to experiment with this.
> > Can
> > anyone point me in the right direction?Of course, I have a feeling I'll
> > get
> > those who think high heat, low heat, long time, short time.

> Unless you feel like experimenting just stab your roast with a meat
> thermometer and put it into a 325ºF oven, pull it out when your
> thermometer says it's cooked medium rare... have it rest for 15
> minutes and have at it with a sharp knife. I don't season rib roast
> with anything other than lots of freshly cracked black pepper and a
> little kosher salt... rub with a little olive oil. A pricey cut of
> meat is not something to fool around experimenting with... rib roast
> should never be cooked past medium rare... if you like more well done
> go with a cheaper cut (round/chuck) and cook pot roast.

That's good advice. When I used to make it in the restaurant, I'd put
it in the oven (convection oven) at 500F for 1/2 hour. Then lower
heat to 200F for about geez, I forget the exact time, (we're talking
1978 here) maybe 2-3 hours(convection oven time!). Use meat thermo as
suggested. Yorkshire pudding doesn't need that long. When the roast
comes out, crank up the heat accordingly and bake them. I always put
cooking oil into a muffin pan, put it in the oven to get it nice and
hot, then put the batter into the muffin pan. It's not the classic
way to make yorkshire pudding but...
The roast can stand around a couple of hours at least.

Your advice is good. Sheldon's is not good. If you roast a standing rib at
325F you'll have a grey band inside. You want medium rare edge to edge.
What you're doing accomplishes that.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 4/21/2012 9:30 AM, wrote:
>> Or a rib roast. I have a 4.5 pound certified angus bone in rib roast for
>> tomorrow night. Given what it cost me, I'd like it to come out perfect.
>> Googled prime rib cooking and came up with too many different ways. High
>> heat,
>> low heat, long time, short time. I don't want to experiment with this.
>> Can
>> anyone point me in the right direction?Of course, I have a feeling I'll
>> get
>> those who think high heat, low heat, long time, short time. :-)
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Oh, and another question. I only have one oven. How could I make
>> Yorkshire
>> pudding or popovers while cooking the roast with the temperatures
>> required so
>> different. Or can/should I?

> You'll have different responses from guys that think their method is the
> best so the reality is that you'd have to pick one anyway. I won't give
> you my method because I don't need the grief from people that think their
> method is the best and my method is stupid. :-)
>
> Trust me the only way you'll get any good at this is if you experiment
> with many roasts. The easiest way to learn is to get an experienced rib
> roast man to walk you through the process. Tell him there's a free meal in
> it for him.

Experiment? At $60 to $100 per roast? Right on.
What do you do??

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Helpful person" > wrote in message
On Apr 21, 12:30 pm, wrote:
> Or a rib roast. I have a 4.5 pound certified angus bone in rib roast for
> tomorrow night. Given what it cost me, I'd like it to come out perfect. I
> Googled prime rib cooking and came up with too many different ways. High
> heat,
> low heat, long time, short time. I don't want to experiment with this. Can
> anyone point me in the right direction?Of course, I have a feeling I'll
> get
> those who think high heat, low heat, long time, short time. :-)
> Thanks.
>
> Oh, and another question. I only have one oven. How could I make Yorkshire
> pudding or popovers while cooking the roast with the temperatures required
> so
> different. Or can/should I?

Just a preparation suggestion:

Cut the ribs away from the roast. Cut the fat off in one piece.
Season the meat. Tie the fat and ribs back in place. After cooking,
remove the ribs and fat and carve. Save the ribs for another time.

http://www.richardfisher.com\

I just tried that for the first time. I think that's what one should do as
well.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
> > wrote in message
>> Or a rib roast. I have a 4.5 pound certified angus bone in rib roast for
>> tomorrow night. Given what it cost me, I'd like it to come out perfect.
>> Googled prime rib cooking and came up with too many different ways. High
>> heat,
>> low heat, long time, short time. I don't want to experiment with this.
>> Can
>> anyone point me in the right direction?Of course, I have a feeling I'll
>> get
>> those who think high heat, low heat, long time, short time. :-)
>> Thanks.

> Dry the roast in the fridge for 2-3 days. Keep covered but allow air to
> circulate. To cook: oven at 450. Put some water in the pan to keep it
> from getting smokey as the fat cooks off. Pat the roast thoroughly with
> kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. Use a LOT. I've never found the need
> for any more seasoning. Into the oven for 30 minutes then turn down to
> 325 @ 20 minutes per pound for a medium rare. I like to leave the rib
> bones on and then cut free when ready to serve. If you use a thermometer
> remember to take the roast our 15 degrees before the target temperature.
> So 120 in this case.
>
>> Oh, and another question. I only have one oven. How could I make
>> Yorkshire
>> pudding or popovers while cooking the roast with the temperatures
>> required so
>> different. Or can/should I?

> They are not popovers, completely different. Use the roast resting time
> to cook the puddings. Have the batter ready 30 minutes before the roast
> comes out. Whip air into the egg/milk mixture then add flour but do not
> mix aggressively. Start with warm eggs. Remove roast, cover to rest.
> Raise the oven temp to 425 while preparing the muffin pan. Add 1
> tablespoon of the fat from the roast to each cup, swirl it around really
> well and then into the oven until it is *screaming hot.* Now pour your
> batter into each cup, 3/4 full, as fast as you can. I use my Pyrex mixer
> for this as it is easy to pour. Back into the oven for 20-25 minutes.
> The trick is hot hot hot and more hot. Also, a non-stick muffin pan is
> best.
>
> Good luck.

We do the same, except in one pan. It's important that the roast must rest
for 30 minutes after cooking. During that time you make your Yorkshire
Pudding.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/21/2012 4:25 PM, Kent wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> On 4/21/2012 9:30 AM, wrote:
>>> Or a rib roast. I have a 4.5 pound certified angus bone in rib roast for
>>> tomorrow night. Given what it cost me, I'd like it to come out perfect.
>>> Googled prime rib cooking and came up with too many different ways. High
>>> heat,
>>> low heat, long time, short time. I don't want to experiment with this.
>>> Can
>>> anyone point me in the right direction?Of course, I have a feeling I'll
>>> get
>>> those who think high heat, low heat, long time, short time. :-)
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Oh, and another question. I only have one oven. How could I make
>>> Yorkshire
>>> pudding or popovers while cooking the roast with the temperatures
>>> required so
>>> different. Or can/should I?

>> You'll have different responses from guys that think their method is the
>> best so the reality is that you'd have to pick one anyway. I won't give
>> you my method because I don't need the grief from people that think their
>> method is the best and my method is stupid. :-)
>>
>> Trust me the only way you'll get any good at this is if you experiment
>> with many roasts. The easiest way to learn is to get an experienced rib
>> roast man to walk you through the process. Tell him there's a free meal in
>> it for him.

> Experiment? At $60 to $100 per roast? Right on.
> What do you do??
>
> Kent

How else would you go about getting some experience in preparing a
roast? Isn't that how you did it? Ain't that how we all did it? The
reality is that the OP will have to pick one method and try it. Nasty man.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael OConnor wrote:
> The way I've always done it is cooked it at 500 for 5 minutes a pound,
> then turn the oven off and let it sit it the oven for two hours (do
> not open the door). If the internal temperature is not 135 degrees C,
> turn the oven up to 375 and cook it until it reaches 135, but it's
> usually doesn't take an additional 20 minutes to get it to 135. Let
> it sit for 15 minutes, then start carving. Before cooking I rub it
> down with a little olive oil then Montreal Steak seasoning.

Except for the seasoning, this is exactly the original high temp
method of roasting the beef. Works beautifully, but a lot of
shrinkage. I never minded since it tastes so good, looks so
good, cooks so easily and is always perfect.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/21/2012 5:42 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 11:46:08 -1000, dsi1 wrote:
>
>> You'll have different responses from guys that think their method is the
>> best so the reality is that you'd have to pick one anyway. I won't give
>> you my method because I don't need the grief from people that think
>> their method is the best and my method is stupid. :-)

> All that guessing you do and you don't want to express your opinions
> on cooking a rib roast?
>
> -sw

You're losing your touch. I've already discussed this exhaustively on
this NG. There's no point in me adding to the chatter. Just Google it.
In your case - just Bing it. Ahahahahahaha!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/21/2012 6:25 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 17:48:09 -1000, dsi1 wrote:

>>> All that guessing you do and you don't want to express your opinions
>>> on cooking a rib roast?

>> You're losing your touch. I've already discussed this exhaustively on
>> this NG. There's no point in me adding to the chatter. Just Google it.
>> In your case - just Bing it. Ahahahahahaha!

> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...1?dmode=source
>
> I'm not impressed. You guessed wrong.
>
> -sw

You just need to do more research Google-boy. I thought you had
everything archived and indexed. I'm so not impressed. You disappoint me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/21/2012 3:27 PM, Michael OConnor wrote:
> The way I've always done it is cooked it at 500 for 5 minutes a pound,
> then turn the oven off and let it sit it the oven for two hours (do
> not open the door). If the internal temperature is not 135 degrees C,
> turn the oven up to 375 and cook it until it reaches 135, but it's
> usually doesn't take an additional 20 minutes to get it to 135. Let
> it sit for 15 minutes, then start carving. Before cooking I rub it
> down with a little olive oil then Montreal Steak seasoning.

I've never heard of this method before. I think I'll try it. Thanks!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 21, 7:37*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 18:44:05 -1000, dsi1 wrote:

> >>http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...a021142a04a21?....

> >> I'm not impressed. *You guessed wrong.

> > You just need to do more research Google-boy. I thought you had
> > everything archived and indexed. I'm so not impressed. You disappoint me.

> After that stupid comment you made about "temperature doesn't make a
> difference" I have no desire to see what other stupidity you have
> recommended. **I* already know how to cook a rib roast (and I of
> course have the pictures to prove it).
>
> I was just surprised how tight-lipped you were.
>
> -sw

This subject has been covered many times in this group - genius. You
like to tell others to search the archives but you can't do the
simplest of searches. So much your all your "archiving" of this and
other groups on your stinking hard drives. I guess that makes all the
shit on your drives worthless. The king of Usenet strikes out again.
I'll let you be the one to endlessly post redundant material. Just
don't expect me to.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kent" > wrote:

-snip-

>Just a preparation suggestion:
>
>Cut the ribs away from the roast. Cut the fat off in one piece.
>Season the meat. Tie the fat and ribs back in place. After cooking,
>remove the ribs and fat and carve. Save the ribs for another time.
>
>http://www.richardfisher.com\

I have the butcher make those cuts. Makes him feel important-- But
then I un-tie it and smear a few cloves of garlic on the meat- some on
the bone side, and some on the fat side- re-tie and continue.

Then I go with the Julia Child method-- hot/warm. Mine rests for an
hour on the stove while I crank up the oven for bread and such.

Jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> > After that stupid comment you made about "temperature doesn't make a
> > difference" I have no desire to see what other stupidity you have
> > recommended. **I* already know how to cook a rib roast (and I of
> > course have the pictures to prove it).

> This subject has been covered many times in this group - genius. You
> like to tell others to search the archives but you can't do the
> simplest of searches. So much your all your "archiving" of this and
> other groups on your stinking hard drives. I guess that makes all the
> shit on your drives worthless. The king of Usenet strikes out again.
> I'll let you be the one to endlessly post redundant material. Just
> don't expect me to.

I wonder how sqwishy learned to cook in the first place. Certain other
posters appear learning-disabled.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> Or a rib roast. I have a 4.5 pound certified angus bone in rib roast for
> tomorrow night. Given what it cost me, I'd like it to come out perfect. I
> Googled prime rib cooking and came up with too many different ways. High
> heat,
> low heat, long time, short time. I don't want to experiment with this. Can
> anyone point me in the right direction?Of course, I have a feeling I'll
> get
> those who think high heat, low heat, long time, short time. :-)
> Thanks.
>
> Oh, and another question. I only have one oven. How could I make Yorkshire
> pudding or popovers while cooking the roast with the temperatures required
> so
> different. Or can/should I?

I've always done the hi temp first. followed by the low temp, although all
of our standing ribs are done on the Weber kettle indirectly. I start at
about 375F and almost immediately close vents so the temp. coasts down to
about 250F. Recently I tried a 250F roast from start to finish and the
result was excellent, with edge to edge pink. There was plenty of fat
rendering and a decent bark on the cut surfaces of the roast. You should
slather some fat on the cut ends before cooking. I always use bacon fat.
Always stop about five degrees short of your final temprature. Always let it
rest foil covered in a warm place for 30 minutes so the temp can
equilibrate.

During that time you make your Yorkshire pudding. Always use a drip pan
underneath to catch drippings, and include some of the granules with the
Yorkie. Start your oven at 400F, and immediately drop to 375F. Do not open
the oven door for 25 minutes. Do not put too much dripping fat in the baking
pan. The Yorkie must rise above above the oil in the pan.

Always make Yorkshire pudding. It's very simple. It makes up part of the
grandeur of the dish.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/22/2012 5:10 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Apr 2012 03:43:26 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 wrote:

>>> After that stupid comment you made about "temperature doesn't make a
>>> difference" I have no desire to see what other stupidity you have
>>> recommended. *I* already know how to cook a rib roast (and I of
>>> course have the pictures to prove it).
>>>
>>> I was just surprised how tight-lipped you were.

>> This subject has been covered many times in this group - genius. You
>> like to tell others to search the archives but you can't do the
>> simplest of searches.

> I'll say it again slightly differently. Read this slowly while using
> your index finger to point to the words:
>
> You have me confused with somebody that WANTS to see your method of
> cooking prime rib.
>
> Now go find some other tangent to go off on, eh?
>
> -sw

I know exactly why you initiated this little chat - you wanted some
attention from little old me. Happy now? :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 22, 3:16*am, George M. Middius > wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
> > > After that stupid comment you made about "temperature doesn't make a
> > > difference" I have no desire to see what other stupidity you have
> > > recommended. **I* already know how to cook a rib roast (and I of
> > > course have the pictures to prove it).

> > This subject has been covered many times in this group - genius. You
> > like to tell others to search the archives but you can't do the
> > simplest of searches. So much your all your "archiving" of this and
> > other groups on your stinking hard drives. I guess that makes all the
> > shit on your drives worthless. *The king of Usenet strikes out again.
> > I'll let you be the one to endlessly post redundant material. Just
> > don't expect me to.

> I wonder how sqwishy learned to cook in the first place. Certain other
> posters appear learning-disabled.

The reality is that it was a setup to tell me that he wasn't
interested in what I have to say. Nutty as heck. That's the way a guy
with the emotional development of a 6 year old acts. There's a least
one in every newsgroup it seems. This group is especially blessed. :-)

My method was to brown the meat first and then cook at a really low
temperature. This was not received well. That's OK since I tend to
try new things. OTOH, some of the ideas posted to this thread are
interesting and I will try these other methods. .

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote:

> Or a rib roast. I have a 4.5 pound certified angus bone in rib roast for
> tomorrow night. Given what it cost me, I'd like it to come out perfect. I
> Googled prime rib cooking and came up with too many different ways. High heat,
> low heat, long time, short time. I don't want to experiment with this. Can
> anyone point me in the right direction?Of course, I have a feeling I'll get
> those who think high heat, low heat, long time, short time. :-)

See
<http://groups.google.com/group/rec.food.cooking/msg/52874af7051fafcb>
and
<http://groups.google.com/group/rec.food.cooking/msg/8c7743e7face337c>

Victor
Senior Member

Location: New York

I have a question that, Can I cook a standing rib roast in a roaster oven? I want to reserve my actual oven for rest of the meal items, but don't want to ruin this nice roast.