Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Attn: Texans King Ranch Chicken

I heard about this on TV last week and thought I would try it. I just
grabbed a recipe from Food Network as I didn't care for the ones from
the Internet that had soup. Is this recipe pretty authentic? Or has
it been prettied up to much to be real?

King Ranch Chicken
Recipe adapted from American Century
Prep Time:
35 min
Inactive Prep Time:
--
Cook Time:
35 min
Level:
--
Serves:
--
Ingredients
" 2 tablespoon butter
" 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
" 1/4 teaspoon ground hot red pepper
" 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
" 2 tablespoons flour
" 3/4 cup chicken broth
" 1/2 cup milk
" 2 tablespoons sour cream
" 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
"
Filling:
" 1 tablespoon butter
" 1 small yellow onion, peeled and chopped
" 1/2 medium green bell peeper, cored, seeded, and chopped
" 1/4 cup chopped roasted green chilies
" 6 ounces mushrooms, wiped clean and finely chopped
" 1/2 cup canned crushed tomatoes
" 2 tablespoons minced pimiento
"
Tortillas:
" Vegetable oil for frying
" 8 corn tortillas
"
Chicken and other Layers:
" 3 cups diced cooked chicken
" 11/2 cups coarsely shredded mild cheddar cheese
" 1/4 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed olives
" 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat 11 by 7 by 2-inch baking dish with
nonstick cooking spray and set aside. Sauce: Melt butter in medium
heavy skillet over moderate heat. Add garlic, red pepper, and cumin
and stir-fry 1 minute. Blend in flour, add broth and milk, and cook,
stirring constantly, until thickened and smooth -- about 3 minutes.
Stir in sour cream, salt, and black pepper to taste; set aside.
Filling: Melt butter in large heavy skillet, over moderate heat. Add
onion, green pepper, green chilies, mushrooms, tomatoes, and pimiento,
and cook, stirring often, until vegetables soften and flavors meld-10
to 15 minutes. Tortillas: Pour oil to depth of 1/2 inch in small heavy
skillet, set over moderate heat, and heat until ripples appear on
skillet bottom. Holding tortillas by tongs, dip one by one into oil
just long enough to soften, 5 to 10 seconds. Drain on paper towels.
To Layer: Arrange half of tortillas in bottom of prepared baking dish,
then build up layers this way, distributing each evenly: 1/2 chicken
and 1/3 sauce; 1/2 each filling, cheese, olives, and scallions, and
1/2 remaining tortillas, chicken, filling, cheese, olives, scallions,
and finally, remaining sauce. Bake, uncovered, until bubbly- about 30
to 35 minutes. Serve at once.

Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Apr 15, 1:13*pm, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
> [...]
> Filling: Melt butter in large heavy skillet, over moderate heat. Add
> onion, green pepper, green chilies, mushrooms, tomatoes, and pimiento,
> and cook, stirring often, until vegetables soften and flavors meld-10
> to 15 minutes. Tortillas: Pour oil to depth of 1/2 inch in small heavy
> skillet, set over moderate heat, and heat until ripples appear on
> skillet bottom. Holding tortillas by tongs, dip one by one into oil
> just long enough to soften, 5 to 10 seconds. Drain on paper towels.
> To Layer: Arrange half of tortillas in bottom of prepared baking dish,
> then build up layers this way, distributing each evenly: 1/2 chicken
> and 1/3 sauce; 1/2 each filling, cheese, olives, and scallions, and
> 1/2 remaining tortillas, chicken, filling, cheese, olives, scallions,
> and finally, remaining sauce. Bake, uncovered, until bubbly- about 30

Well, the original has canned soup in it. So either you can be
'authentic' or do what the person who made up this recipe did and do a
version of the original.

The original with the canned soup is quite tasty, and a lot less work
than this one.

Here's the version I made, yes it has canned stuff, but when you just
want comfort food and a good quick casserole, it's hard to beat.

http://hizzoners.com/recipes/poultry...-ranch-chicken