Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Easter candy

They had some easter candy I like at 50% off. I picked up 8 of them.
Regular price was .89, marked down to .44. The cashier scanned 4 of
them then just put the others in the bag without scanning. I asked
why, and she said it's because they're half price, so she only scanned
half of them.

What would you have done?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 12, 1:54*pm, George M. Middius > wrote:
> They had some easter candy I like at 50% off. I picked up 8 of them.
> Regular price was .89, marked down to .44. The cashier scanned 4 of
> them then just put the others in the bag without scanning. I asked
> why, and she said it's because they're half price, so she only scanned
> half of them.
>
> What would you have done?

Did you check the receipt? Maybe the first 4 scanned in at .89, so
she didn't bother with the other 4.

If they scanned at .44 each, then I guess it's up to your conscience
to do what was right. What did you do?

I would have told her of her error. It's not worth $1.76 to feel like
I got one over on a probably minimum wage clerk. Bad karma.

I looked for some 1/2 price black jelly beans today, but none to be
found.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/12/2012 7:54 AM, George M. Middius wrote:

> They had some easter candy I like at 50% off. I picked up 8 of them.
> Regular price was .89, marked down to .44. The cashier scanned 4 of
> them then just put the others in the bag without scanning. I asked
> why, and she said it's because they're half price, so she only scanned
> half of them.
>
> What would you have done?

I would have stopped the line while you check to see if she charged you
$3.56 instead of $3.52. If she did, then "Nice try, bitch. You owe me 4
cents!" would have been the correct response.

If she only charged you $1.76, then you probably should ask to see the
manager because she's probably been doing that kind of shenanigans all
day and should be discharged immediately.

Either way, there's no excuse for what she did.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 12, 11:23*am, dsi1 > wrote:
> On 4/12/2012 7:54 AM, George M. Middius wrote:
>

> > They had some easter candy I like at 50% off. I picked up 8 of them.
> > Regular price was .89, marked down to .44. The cashier scanned 4 of
> > them then just put the others in the bag without scanning. I asked
> > why, and she said it's because they're half price, so she only scanned
> > half of them.

> > What would you have done?

> I would have stopped the line while you check to see if she charged you
> $3.56 instead of $3.52. If she did, then "Nice try, bitch. You owe me 4
> cents!" would have been the correct response.
>
> If she only charged you $1.76, then you probably should ask to see the
> manager because she's probably been doing that kind of shenanigans all
> day and should be discharged immediately.
>
> Either way, there's no excuse for what she did.

Yeah! She should be fired on the spot and her ass ought to be hauled
off to jail. then she should go to court, get convicted and then off
to prison for at least ten years.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Denise in NH wrote:

> > They had some easter candy I like at 50% off. I picked up 8 of them.
> > Regular price was .89, marked down to .44. The cashier scanned 4 of
> > them then just put the others in the bag without scanning. I asked
> > why, and she said it's because they're half price, so she only scanned
> > half of them.
> >
> > What would you have done?

> I would have told her of her error. It's not worth $1.76 to feel like
> I got one over on a probably minimum wage clerk. Bad karma.

No penalty to the cashier, only to the store (a big chain, BTW).

> I looked for some 1/2 price black jelly beans today, but none to be
> found.

That's because all the black bunnies were strung up so they couldn't
lay any jelly beans.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> > They had some easter candy I like at 50% off. I picked up 8 of them.
> > Regular price was .89, marked down to .44. The cashier scanned 4 of
> > them then just put the others in the bag without scanning. I asked
> > why, and she said it's because they're half price, so she only scanned
> > half of them.
> >
> > What would you have done?

> I would have stopped the line while you check to see if she charged you
> $3.56 instead of $3.52. If she did, then "Nice try, bitch. You owe me 4
> cents!" would have been the correct response.
>
> If she only charged you $1.76, then you probably should ask to see the
> manager because she's probably been doing that kind of shenanigans all
> day and should be discharged immediately.
>
> Either way, there's no excuse for what she did.

Thank you for mocking my distress.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 12, 11:47*am, George M. Middius > wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
> > > They had some easter candy I like at 50% off. I picked up 8 of them.
> > > Regular price was .89, marked down to .44. The cashier scanned 4 of
> > > them then just put the others in the bag without scanning. I asked
> > > why, and she said it's because they're half price, so she only scanned
> > > half of them.

> > > What would you have done?

> > I would have stopped the line while you check to see if she charged you
> > $3.56 instead of $3.52. If she did, then "Nice try, bitch. You owe me 4
> > cents!" would have been the correct response.

> > If she only charged you $1.76, then you probably should ask to see the
> > manager because she's probably been doing that kind of shenanigans all
> > day and should be discharged immediately.

> > Either way, there's no excuse for what she did.

> Thank you for mocking my distress.

You'll get over it...it'll take time and some professional help but in
the end, you'll be a better woman for it, George.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George M. Middius" > wrote in message
news
> dsi1 wrote:
>
>> > They had some easter candy I like at 50% off. I picked up 8 of them.
>> > Regular price was .89, marked down to .44. The cashier scanned 4 of
>> > them then just put the others in the bag without scanning. I asked
>> > why, and she said it's because they're half price, so she only scanned
>> > half of them.
>> >
>> > What would you have done?

>> I would have stopped the line while you check to see if she charged you
>> $3.56 instead of $3.52. If she did, then "Nice try, bitch. You owe me 4
>> cents!" would have been the correct response.
>>
>> If she only charged you $1.76, then you probably should ask to see the
>> manager because she's probably been doing that kind of shenanigans all
>> day and should be discharged immediately.
>>
>> Either way, there's no excuse for what she did.

> Thank you for mocking my distress.

Eat some half-price candy, you'll feel better! :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George M. Middius" > wrote in message

> They had some easter candy I like at 50% off. I picked up 8 of them.
> Regular price was .89, marked down to .44. The cashier scanned 4 of
> them then just put the others in the bag without scanning. I asked
> why, and she said it's because they're half price, so she only scanned
> half of them.
>
> What would you have done?

She should be fired! Not only was that wrong but it will mess up their
inventory. I would have either gone to customer service or done nothing,
depending on what kind of mood I was in and how much time I had.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 12, 2:37*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "George M. Middius" > wrote in messagenews:vi5eo7d3ullo10qd08ffvcjaa57roo2mm3@4ax .com...
>

> > They had some easter candy I like at 50% off. I picked up 8 of them.
> > Regular price was .89, marked down to .44. The cashier scanned 4 of
> > them then just put the others in the bag without scanning. I asked
> > why, and she said it's because they're half price, so she only scanned
> > half of them.

> > What would you have done?

> She should be fired! *Not only was that wrong but it will mess up their
> inventory. *I would have either gone to customer service or done nothing,
> depending on what kind of mood I was in and how much time I had.

Depends. some stores aren't quite that strict when it comes to that
kind of thing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> "George M. Middius" > They had some easter candy I like at 50% off. I
> picked up 8 of them.

Regular price was .89, marked down to .44. The cashier scanned 4 of
them then just put the others in the bag without scanning. I asked
why, and she said it's because they're half price, so she only scanned
half of them.
What would you have done?>>
Do you still have your cash register receipt? Easy enough to see what you
were charged. Big chain, little chain or a gum ball machine, I would have to
see that it was rightly paid for. Simple enough to hand over the $3 plus
next time you're in the store. Sometimes we find that something in our
buggy wasn't scanned and we pay for it on the next trip. I've just got to
tell you because it was so cute: Recently a mother with accompanying little
fellow by-passed our cash register line to go on to the next one which had
fewer waiting customers. The little one piped up, "Mama! Are you stealing
all this stuff?" Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> > They had some easter candy I like at 50% off. I picked up 8 of them.
> > Regular price was .89, marked down to .44. The cashier scanned 4 of
> > them then just put the others in the bag without scanning. I asked
> > why, and she said it's because they're half price, so she only scanned
> > half of them.
> >
> > What would you have done?

> She should be fired! Not only was that wrong but it will mess up their
> inventory. I would have either gone to customer service or done nothing,
> depending on what kind of mood I was in and how much time I had.

Thank you, Julie. That gave me just the perspective I wanted.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemo the Clown wrote:

> > > What would you have done?

> > She should be fired! *Not only was that wrong but it will mess up their
> > inventory. *I would have either gone to customer service or done nothing,
> > depending on what kind of mood I was in and how much time I had.

> Depends. some stores aren't quite that strict when it comes to that
> kind of thing.

Didn't you already say she should be fired? Messing up to the tune of
$1.72 is definitely a firing offense, of course.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Polly Esther wrote:

> What would you have done?

> Do you still have your cash register receipt? Easy enough to see what you
> were charged. Big chain, little chain or a gum ball machine, I would have to
> see that it was rightly paid for. Simple enough to hand over the $3 plus
> next time you're in the store.

BZZZT!

BTW, something's wrong with the settings in your client. Line breaks
are all messed up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 12, 1:54*pm, George M. Middius > wrote:
> They had some easter candy I like at 50% off. I picked up 8 of them.
> Regular price was .89, marked down to .44. The cashier scanned 4 of
> them then just put the others in the bag without scanning. I asked
> why, and she said it's because they're half price, so she only scanned
> half of them.
>
> What would you have done?

So, give us the rest of the stawwwwry. What were you billed?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:

> > They had some easter candy I like at 50% off. I picked up 8 of them.
> > Regular price was .89, marked down to .44. The cashier scanned 4 of
> > them then just put the others in the bag without scanning. I asked
> > why, and she said it's because they're half price, so she only scanned
> > half of them.
> >
> > What would you have done?

> So, give us the rest of the stawwwwry. What were you billed?

4 x .44 = 1.72. Thought that was obvious -- otherwise, what's the
problem?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemo the Clown wrote:
> On Apr 12, 2:37 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> "George M. Middius" > wrote in
>> messagenews:vi5eo7d3ullo10qd08ffvcjaa57roo2mm3@4ax .com...
>>

>>> They had some easter candy I like at 50% off. I picked up 8 of them.
>>> Regular price was .89, marked down to .44. The cashier scanned 4 of
>>> them then just put the others in the bag without scanning. I asked
>>> why, and she said it's because they're half price, so she only
>>> scanned half of them.

>>> What would you have done?

>> She should be fired! Not only was that wrong but it will mess up
>> their
>> inventory. I would have either gone to customer service or done
>> nothing,
>> depending on what kind of mood I was in and how much time I had.

> Depends. some stores aren't quite that strict when it comes to that
> kind of thing.

Yeah but I'm a long time POS person. I freaking hate it when I see cashiers
not ringing stuff up wrong. Of course it's no skin off the cashier's nose
but it's seriously going to mess up the POS person's job. Often, management
doesn't take it seriously either. Because they're not the ones who have to
fix it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George M. Middius wrote:

>>> She should be fired! Not only was that wrong but it will mess up
>>> their inventory. I would have either gone to customer service or
>>> done nothing, depending on what kind of mood I was in and how much
>>> time I had.

>> Depends. some stores aren't quite that strict when it comes to that
>> kind of thing.

> Didn't you already say she should be fired? Messing up to the tune of
> $1.72 is definitely a firing offense, of course.

If she's doing it for you, she's doing it for everyone!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sqwishy gets high and mighty.

> >> So, give us the rest of the stawwwwry. What were you billed?

> > 4 x .44 = 1.72. Thought that was obvious -- otherwise, what's the
> > problem?

> Your math is a little off. Mine was too, but at least it was closer.

$1.76. Sorry.

> So you're saying you STOLE 4 of the items knowing full well she didn't
> charge you correctly?

This is the point I was trying to raise originally. Surprising you're
the first one to take it seriously.

My ethical sense doesn't require me to point out their mistake. In
your other post, you said you do the same thing when the mistake is in
your favor. But now you're hyperventilating and yelling "YOU STOLE
IT!" Make up your mind.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

>>> So, give us the rest of the stawwwwry. What were you billed?

>> 4 x .44 = 1.72. Thought that was obvious -- otherwise, what's the
>> problem?

> Your math is a little off. Mine was too, but at least it was closer.
>
> So you're saying you STOLE 4 of the items knowing full well she didn't
> charge you correctly?
>
> <snork> Wait for it....! The wrath of RFC will be upon you! (or
> maybe that only works for me).

I did something similar at Target even though I tried not to.

I almost always bring my own bags in there. They are supposed to give you 5
cents back for each bag you use. A few of the cashiers are good to do this.
Some do not, even when you remind them to do it. I have checked my
receipts. One even said she didn't know how to do it. I had to tell her
how.

So only this particular day, not only did she not give my daughter the bag
discount, but my Downy Unstoppables rang up more than what they should. I
didn't discover this until I got to the van because my daughter was fighting
me over the bag discount. I was just fed up about it and had the time and
was going to take the time to go to customer service. She wouldn't go and
it really was *her* purchase. But she also wouldn't give me back my
receipt. I had used coupons and she likes to look at the receipts to see
how much money I had saved on the coupons.

I can't remember the particulars on the math now because this was several
months ago. I believe that the sign on the item said $5.99 in one area and
$7.99 in another for the same item. But the lesser priced sign on the end
cap said it was some kind of in store special.

The woman at customer service was elderly. I foolishly assumed that she
would know what to do. First of all she did not call anyone to verify the
price. Just took my word for it. I believe I was charged $7.99. And I
bought two. I could not figure out what she was doing. She was scanning
things on one regiater and then punching numbers into another register.
Somehow a figure of like...$17 and some change came up. Whatever it was,
she did it twice. But the weird thing was, she gave me money back four
times! An assortment of ones and some coins, each time. I am pretty sure
she gave me too much money back. Not a lot but the amount didn't seem
right. Yes, there would have been some tax but it didn't seem like the
right amount.

My daughter was angry with me because I didn't think the amount was right
but I took it anyway. The way I looked at it on that day was... I tried to
fix the problem. I spent over an hour trying to get it fixed. And many
were the times when they did not give me my bag discount. Seeing as how I
almost always buy at least 3 bags of things when we go there, I know they
owed me at least $2.00, probably more, for those bag discounts. I think I
figured that I got $1.00 or $2.00 back more than I should have. The whole
thing was just weird.

I have been told that Target just doesn't train their employees very well.
I don't know about that. There are clearly some well trained employees
there. And I try to go into their lines when they are there. But they
aren't always there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 08:23:31 -1000, dsi1 wrote:
>
>> If she only charged you $1.76, then you probably should ask to see
>> the manager because she's probably been doing that kind of
>> shenanigans all day and should be discharged immediately.

> Good answer! Fire her!
>
> <pbbbt>
>
> Going a little hard on her aren't you? It could be that the store has
> only changed some of the Easter candy prices in the computer and not
> others. So that most candy *was* being rung up at full price at prior
> times during her shift. And I'm sure her manager would understand
> that mistake.

Well she should have been written up the first and then the second time she
did it. And fired the third time. Chances are she is doing that for
everyone. And if she isn't stopped, she will just keep doing it.

Having worked retail myself, I can't tell you how many times I have seen
similar things done. Some cashiers really think they are doing the customer
a favor. They might do it for their friends and family or total strangers.
Just simply fail to ring some things up but put them in the bag.

I could understand it if the item didn't ring up and she couldn't figure out
how to ring it up. But that would also fall back to a lack of training.
Clearly something is wrong.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" <>
> I would have asked her, "What if I only bought one?".
>
> When I bought my 26 Cadbury eggs she insisted on scanning each one
> individually. And those things don't scan easily because of the way
> the foil is crumpled around the egg. I asked her, "Can't you just
> scan one of them and punch in "20" more" (since she had already
> scanned 6 of them). She consulted with another cashier who shrugged,
> "Nope can't do that with these.". Me, "Uh, OK. Since that one THERE
> scanned just fine, why not just use that one to scan the other 20...".
> She responds, "Good Idea!".
>
> Then 10 of them got smashed when my OJ was scanned and she rolled that
> down onto the eggs. So then they needed replaced... I grabbed 10
> more. But these were caramel and fudge rather than the cream variety
> (whch were on the other side of the store)... so she had to fix that
> in the cash register/inventory...
>
> It took about 14 minutes to check out with about 32 items (26 of them
> being the SAME item)

We can only try to be honorable. Sometimes we must stifle the right to bear
arms. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, ost
says...

> On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 16:42:58 -0500, Polly Esther wrote:
>
> > Do you still have your cash register receipt? Easy enough to see what you
> > were charged. Big chain, little chain or a gum ball machine, I would have to
> > see that it was rightly paid for. Simple enough to hand over the $3 plus
> > next time you're in the store.

> You folks know that I'm an expert on these kinds of situations, so
> here's my take on it:
>
> I have stood in line plenty of times at the Customer Service Desk to
> get my $.50, $.60, maybe $2 (like on Tuesday) back on an overcharge.
> Sometimes the line is too long and I just want to get home. Sometimes
> I'll come back with my receipt if I don't accidentally throw them
> away. Sometimes I won't. Sometimes for $.12 or $.30 or whatever, I
> don't even bother and blow it all off.
>
> I catch practically all of the register mistakes since I know the
> price of everything I put in my cart. I probably spend 2 hours a year
> in that damned customer service line getting refunds. Plus the little
> discrepancies I didn't even bother with.
>
> I would have taken the 4 free items worth the damn $1.74 and thanked
> her for telling me to have a nice day. Period.
>
> In general, I am overcharged 75-80% of the time, and undercharged
> 20-25% of the time. So I generally do not mention the undercharges
> when I catch them.
>
> Flame away, but I'm not going lose any sleep over it or spend much
> time arguing with people who don't agree with my stance on over/under
> charges.
>
> -sw

I watch the screen like a hawk and if I see something wrong I always
call it out right then and there. Much easier to fix while I'm there
than to have to come back.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 13 Apr 2012 00:25:37 -0400, T wrote:
>
>> In article >, ost
>> says...
>>
>>> In general, I am overcharged 75-80% of the time, and undercharged
>>> 20-25% of the time. So I generally do not mention the undercharges
>>> when I catch them.

>> I watch the screen like a hawk and if I see something wrong I always
>> call it out right then and there. Much easier to fix while I'm there
>> than to have to come back.

> I try and do that but I often times get distracted. I'm not one to
> hold up the line so I'm sometimes swiping my card or counting out $4
> worth of pennies to pay with. I pretty much know the items that may
> scan incorrectly and try to watch for those specifically by placing
> them last on the conveyor belt. But that's not always practical. The
> repeat stuff I buy all the time where the price never changes (much) I
> put up front so they get scanned while I'm swiping my card.

I try to watch the screen too but I can't tell you how many times another
customer or an employee has to squeeze by me and interrupts.

> Tonight when I was at the grocery store - it was one of those what I
> call "Third World HEB's" (bad part of town) - I came up with a new
> Grocery Store Rant (GSR) that I don't think I've seen on RFC yet:
>
> Parents who let their kids drive the shopping carts. I can't really
> blame the kids tonight as most of them did their best to avoid me
> rather than be oblivious. But it has been much worse.

I once saw some teens take a cart to play with it. The mom spotted them and
chewed them out.

I hated it when my daughter had to use one of those carts. She was only 12
and 13 then and didn't know how to drive anything. She kept getting it
stuck in places. And then there was the evil Target cart where she knocked
me clean out of my shoes.

> Oh, and some guy tried to wheel out 2 cases of Miller Lite, bypassing
> the cash registers. We both exited at the same time. Note to
> shoplifters: if you're going to run once they try and stop you, at
> least have the sense to ditch the cart. You might actually have a
> chance of getting away without the cart. He didn't make it 50 feet.

Hehehe.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
George M. Middius > wrote:

> They had some easter candy I like at 50% off. I picked up 8 of them.
> Regular price was .89, marked down to .44. The cashier scanned 4 of
> them then just put the others in the bag without scanning. I asked
> why, and she said it's because they're half price, so she only scanned
> half of them.
>
> What would you have done?

For four cents? Probably nothing. OR, maybe taken them to the service
counter, explained you were overcharged, and hoped for getting them free?
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller September 5, 2011

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 13:54:38 -0400, George M. Middius wrote:
>
> > They had some easter candy I like at 50% off. I picked up 8 of them.
> > Regular price was .89, marked down to .44. The cashier scanned 4 of
> > them then just put the others in the bag without scanning. I asked
> > why, and she said it's because they're half price, so she only scanned
> > half of them.
> >
> > What would you have done?

> I would have asked her, "What if I only bought one?".
>
> When I bought my 26 Cadbury eggs she insisted on scanning each one
> individually. And those things don't scan easily because of the way
> the foil is crumpled around the egg. I asked her, "Can't you just
> scan one of them and punch in "20" more" (since she had already
> scanned 6 of them). She consulted with another cashier who shrugged,
> "Nope can't do that with these.". Me, "Uh, OK. Since that one THERE
> scanned just fine, why not just use that one to scan the other 20...".
> She responds, "Good Idea!".
>
> Then 10 of them got smashed when my OJ was scanned and she rolled that
> down onto the eggs. So then they needed replaced... I grabbed 10
> more. But these were caramel and fudge rather than the cream variety
> (whch were on the other side of the store)... so she had to fix that
> in the cash register/inventory...
>
> It took about 14 minutes to check out with about 32 items (26 of them
> being the SAME item)
>
> -sw

You're just contentious.
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller September 5, 2011
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> > They had some easter candy I like at 50% off. I picked up 8 of them.
> > Regular price was .89, marked down to .44. The cashier scanned 4 of
> > them then just put the others in the bag without scanning. I asked
> > why, and she said it's because they're half price, so she only scanned
> > half of them.
> >
> > What would you have done?

> For four cents? Probably nothing. OR, maybe taken them to the service
> counter, explained you were overcharged, and hoped for getting them free?

You misread my account. She charged me 1.76 instead of 3.52.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> > > What would you have done?

> > It took about 14 minutes to check out with about 32 items (26 of them
> > being the SAME item)

> You're just contentious.

You don't have to mince words here. If you mean dickhead, you can say
dickhead.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sqwishy is indignant again.

> >> You're just contentious.

> > You don't have to mince words here. If you mean dickhead, you can say
> > dickhead.

> You know you're talking to my sister, don't you?

Maybe your sister wouldn't say that to you, but I'm sure she's
thinking it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 12, 7:35*pm, George M. Middius > wrote:
> Kalmia wrote:
> > > They had some easter candy I like at 50% off. I picked up 8 of them.
> > > Regular price was .89, marked down to .44. The cashier scanned 4 of
> > > them then just put the others in the bag without scanning. I asked
> > > why, and she said it's because they're half price, so she only scanned
> > > half of them.

> > > What would you have done?

> > So, give us the rest of the stawwwwry. *What were you billed?

> 4 x .44 = 1.72. Thought that was obvious -- otherwise, what's the
> problem?

Hey- you never stated what you were billed. You left us hanging -
maybe the clerk KNEW or HAD BEEN TOLD that the new rates weren't in
the 'puter yet and to just scan half the items. All you said was
"marked down" - as in a big fat sign maybe?

So.....I just wanted to know what you were billed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> I was just trying to get out of there. These are things cashiers
> should KNOW. I doubt she would have argued with me - she even learned
> something from me (finding one bar code that works and using that one
> only)
>
> -sw

That that had to pointed out to her is very disheartening. People don't
THINK anymore!
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller September 5, 2011
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
George M. Middius > wrote:

> > > It took about 14 minutes to check out with about 32 items (26 of them
> > > being the SAME item)

> > You're just contentious.

> You don't have to mince words here. If you mean dickhead, you can say
> dickhead.

Okay, you're a dickhead. <blushing>
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller September 5, 2011
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
George M. Middius > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > > They had some easter candy I like at 50% off. I picked up 8 of them.
> > > Regular price was .89, marked down to .44. The cashier scanned 4 of
> > > them then just put the others in the bag without scanning. I asked
> > > why, and she said it's because they're half price, so she only scanned
> > > half of them.
> > >
> > > What would you have done?

> > For four cents? Probably nothing. OR, maybe taken them to the service
> > counter, explained you were overcharged, and hoped for getting them free?

> You misread my account. She charged me 1.76 instead of 3.52.

You're right. I didn't understand it the way you intended. Sorry.
Actually, for that much money, I would have told her of her mistake. If
it had been a couple cents, I guess I would have done nothing. If it
had been $5, I might have done nothing, too.
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller September 5, 2011
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/12/2012 2:17 PM, Denise in NH wrote:

> I would have told her of her error. It's not worth $1.76 to feel like
> I got one over on a probably minimum wage clerk. Bad karma.

Agree
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/12/2012 5:42 PM, Polly Esther wrote:

>> "George M. Middius" > They had some easter candy I like at 50% off. I
>> picked up 8 of them.

> Regular price was .89, marked down to .44. The cashier scanned 4 of
> them then just put the others in the bag without scanning. I asked
> why, and she said it's because they're half price, so she only scanned
> half of them.
> What would you have done?>>
> Do you still have your cash register receipt? Easy enough to see what
> you were charged. Big chain, little chain or a gum ball machine, I would
> have to see that it was rightly paid for. Simple enough to hand over the
> $3 plus next time you're in the store. Sometimes we find that something
> in our buggy wasn't scanned and we pay for it on the next trip. I've
> just got to tell you because it was so cute: Recently a mother with
> accompanying little fellow by-passed our cash register line to go on to
> the next one which had fewer waiting customers. The little one piped up,
> "Mama! Are you stealing all this stuff?" Polly

I found a birthday card on the bottom of my cart when I was putting
stuff in the car and it wasn't paid for so I went back in the store to
pay for it. Likewise, I have gotten home and didn't have something in
my bag that I saw go through the scanner and they gave it to me on the
honor system. It works both ways.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sqwishy tries gloating.

> >> You don't have to mince words here. If you mean dickhead, you can say
> >> dickhead.

> > Okay, you're a dickhead. <blushing>

> Ooops. Looks like that one back-fired on him :-)

Are you keeping score? People can say whatever they want on Usenet --
as you well know.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> > > For four cents? Probably nothing. OR, maybe taken them to the service
> > > counter, explained you were overcharged, and hoped for getting them free?

> > You misread my account. She charged me 1.76 instead of 3.52.

> You're right. I didn't understand it the way you intended. Sorry.
> Actually, for that much money, I would have told her of her mistake. If
> it had been a couple cents, I guess I would have done nothing. If it
> had been $5, I might have done nothing, too.

In case anybody hasn't figured it out yet, I took the free stuff
without saying a word. The mistake was the store's loss, and it's a
direct result of the cashier not being trained correctly.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:

> >> That's because all the black bunnies were strung up so they couldn't
> >> lay any jelly beans.

> > Racist joke noted. Figures.
> > You sure know how to make friends and influence people.

> Looked racist to me, too.

It was mock racism. My point, for all you RFCers who are a bit thick,
is that rabid racists get carried away and take their fanaticism to
absurd extremes.

This is a form of "humor". (An alien concept to some, I know.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> Sometimes for $.12 or $.30 or whatever, I
> don't even bother and blow it all off.

If Stop&Shop overcharges by a penny you get it for free. I got a roast beef
once, and regretted not buying more than one.

zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George M. Middius" wrote:

> > > You misread my account. She charged me 1.76 instead of 3.52.

> > You're right. I didn't understand it the way you intended. Sorry.
> > Actually, for that much money, I would have told her of her mistake. If
> > it had been a couple cents, I guess I would have done nothing. If it
> > had been $5, I might have done nothing, too.

> In case anybody hasn't figured it out yet, I took the free stuff
> without saying a word. The mistake was the store's loss, and it's a
> direct result of the cashier not being trained correctly.

Your original post was a bit confusing. I think most of us assumed you paid
the correct price but just had an issue about how she arrived at it.

It would make sense to just ring up 4 items instead of 8 if the computer was
charging the full price.... that would give you the half price for the 8.
That's probably what she assumed it was doing. I don't think she was
purposely doing things wrong.

As for me in your situation:
1) If I noticed that mistake right away at the register, I would have
pointed out her mistake and let her charge me the higher fair price.

2) If I had gone home and noticed later, I wouldn't worry about it.
Occasionally stores will overcharge me for things that I don't notice until
later. It all works out even in the end.

Gary

Easter Candy and Treats Tara General Cooking 12 20-04-2014 08:31 PM
Easter Candy Tara General Cooking 3 01-04-2013 05:22 AM
Easter Candy Tara General Cooking 5 07-04-2012 08:01 AM
Scary Easter Candy Sqwertz General Cooking 19 27-03-2010 06:11 PM
Easter Candy (4) Collection Stephen Stumpf Recipes (moderated) 0 10-04-2007 01:48 AM