Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Anyone Have A Good Recipe For Black Forest Cake?

My grandson informed me that he wants a Black Forest Cake for his 14th
birthday next month. I have no idea where he came up with that, but I
don't recall ever making one before. I googled it and several of them
have alcohol in them, which I prefer not to use, as not sure how his
mother would feel about that, but he'd probably love it!

I have made a cake where beat the cherry pie filling into a chocolate
cake mix and frost it with a fudge frosting, but I was thinking more of
a layer cake and using whipped cream for the frosting with the cherries
between the layers and for garnish on top??

If you have a good recipe you wouldn't mind sharing, I'd be very
appreciative.

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11-Apr-2012, sf > wrote:

> If you come up with a good one, please let me know. I love BF
> cake
> too - but when push comes to shove, it always seems too
> complicated.

I have two recipes for this. One is the complicated, involved
recipe. The other is a simpler expedient which produces a pretty
good cake with *much less* work. Let me know if you want them.
I won't post the complicated one since I'm not sure where the
wife found it, but I will mail it to you if you like. I can post
the wife's shorter recipe if someone wants it.

--
Mike
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 11, 1:31*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
> My grandson informed me that he wants a Black Forest Cake for his 14th
> birthday next month. I have no idea where he came up with that, but I
> don't recall ever making one before. I googled it and several of them
> have alcohol in them, which I prefer not to use, as not sure how his
> mother would feel about that, but he'd probably love it!
>
> I have made a *cake where beat the cherry pie filling into a chocolate
> cake mix and frost it with a fudge frosting, but I was thinking more of
> a layer cake and using whipped cream for the frosting with the cherries
> between the layers and for garnish on top??
>
> If you have a good recipe you wouldn't mind sharing, I'd be very
> appreciative.
>
> Judy

I don't have a recipe, but putting a bit of alcohol in there is pretty
standard. A little Kirsch Wasser (literally Cherry Water) never hurt
anyone.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mike wrote:

>I have two recipes for this. One is the
> complicated, involved recipe. The other
> is a simpler expedient which produces a
> pretty good cake with *much less* work.
> Let me know if you want them. I won't
> post the complicated one since I'm not
> sure where the wife found it, but I will
> mail it to you if you like. I can post the
> wife's shorter recipe if someone wants
> it.

Mike, could you please post your wife's shorter recipe version of the
cake? Thanks! When I was looking up recipes on Google for it, I did find
some involved recipes...some were done in several layers high, but I
didn't really want that, as would prefer two layers, or maybe even baked
in a bundt pan.

This cake is of German origin, isn't it?

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 11, 4:04*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
> Mike wrote:
> >I have two recipes for this. One is the
> > complicated, involved recipe. The other
> > is a simpler expedient which produces a
> > pretty good cake with *much less* work.
> > Let me know if you want them. I won't
> > post the complicated one since I'm not
> > sure where the wife found it, but I will
> > mail it to you if you like. I can post the
> > wife's shorter recipe if someone wants
> > it.

> Mike, could you please post your wife's shorter recipe version of the
> cake? Thanks! When I was looking up recipes on Google for it, I did find
> some involved recipes...some were done in several layers high, but I
> didn't really want that, as would prefer two layers, or maybe even baked
> in a bundt pan.
>
> This cake is of German origin, isn't it?
>
> Judy

The Black Forest is in Germany. In the hotel that I worked at, they
added Swiss Kirsch Wasser.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

A Moose in Love wrote:

>The Black Forest is in Germany. In the
> hotel that I worked at, they added Swiss
> Kirsch Wasser.

Thanks Moose! I just printed off a recipe I found on the Net, and it
calls for 3 tbsp. brandy added to the cake ingredients, but didn't say
what kind. I don't think anybody would even know it had alcohol in it,
with that little amount, so it's not like I'm contributing to the
deliquentcy of a minor!! ;-)

I think alcohol evaporates when using it in cooking/baking anyway? and
always gives such a good added flavor to most anything you put it in,
IMO.

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 11, 4:54*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
> A Moose in Love wrote:
>
> >The Black Forest is in Germany. In the
> > hotel that I worked at, they added Swiss
> > Kirsch Wasser.

> Thanks Moose! I just printed off a recipe I found on the Net, and it
> calls for 3 tbsp. brandy added to the cake ingredients, but didn't say
> what kind. I don't think anybody would even know it had alcohol in it,
> with that little amount, so it's not like I'm *contributing to the
> deliquentcy of a minor!! ;-)
>
> I think alcohol evaporates when using it in cooking/baking anyway? and
> always gives such a good added flavor to most anything you put it in,
> IMO.
>
> Judy

I don't know if alcohol evaporates 100%, I know that some/most of it
does. And that little bit of alcohol that still might be in there
will not get anyone the slightest bit tipsy. It won't harm his/their
liver. I wouldn't worry about it unless you're of the Muslim faith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 11, 4:54*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
> A Moose in Love wrote:
>
> >The Black Forest is in Germany. In the
> > hotel that I worked at, they added Swiss
> > Kirsch Wasser.

> Thanks Moose! I just printed off a recipe I found on the Net, and it
> calls for 3 tbsp. brandy added to the cake ingredients, but didn't say
> what kind. I don't think anybody would even know it had alcohol in it,
> with that little amount, so it's not like I'm *contributing to the
> deliquentcy of a minor!! ;-)
>
> I think alcohol evaporates when using it in cooking/baking anyway? and
> always gives such a good added flavor to most anything you put it in,
> IMO.
>
> Judy

btw, Kirsch Wasser (cherry water) is a clear cherry brandy. About 80
proof.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/04/2012 1:31 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:

> My grandson informed me that he wants a Black Forest Cake for his 14th
> birthday next month. I have no idea where he came up with that, but I
> don't recall ever making one before. I googled it and several of them
> have alcohol in them, which I prefer not to use, as not sure how his
> mother would feel about that, but he'd probably love it!
>
> I have made a cake where beat the cherry pie filling into a chocolate
> cake mix and frost it with a fudge frosting, but I was thinking more of
> a layer cake and using whipped cream for the frosting with the cherries
> between the layers and for garnish on top??
>
> If you have a good recipe you wouldn't mind sharing, I'd be very
> appreciative.

Since you have never made one, and this is for a kid, why not go with a
mix? Dr, Oetker makes a decent one. There was a box of it in my mother's
cupboards when we were cleaning out her condo after she died. I tried it
and I have to say it was pretty good. I gave up on buying them years
ago because Black Forest cakes tend to be disappoint, but this mix
actually pretty good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Simple Schwarzwälder Kirschtorten (was:Anyone Have A Go...

Thanks very much, Mike! That really does sound easy enough for sure, and
exactly what I had in mind. I think I will bake in two layers, so won't
have to bother cutting one cake uniformly in half to make two layers.

I wonder approximately how much Kirschwasser you'd sprinkle over the
cake layers? Since this if for a young teen's birthday, I wouldn't want
to be too generous, as I would if it was to be an all adult party,
though I'm sure HE wouldn't complain! =:}

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Simple Schwarzwälder Kirschtorten (was: Anyone Have A Good Recipe For Black Forest Cake?)

Simple Schwarzwälder Kirschtorten - A German Recipe from the Muth
Family
This recipe is perhaps not quite as good as the full blown recipe
for Black Forest Cake. On the other hand, it provides a
delicious treat with far less work.

1 box German chocolate cake mix
Kirschwasser
1 can cherry pie filling
chocolate sprinkles
maraschino cherries
1 cup cream, whipped
2 Tbsp confectioners' sugar
vanilla

Bake the cake mix per directions in a round form (9 inch
diameter).
We use a spring form.
Remove from oven when done and let cool.
Cut the cake into roughly equal top and bottom halves.
Sprinkle Kirschwasser on the cut sides of both halves.
Spread the cherry pie filling over the bottom half.
Place the top half on top of the cherries.
When whipping the cream, add the confectioners' sugar and a dash
of vanilla extract.
Spread the whipped cream over the top and sides of the cake.
Decorate with whipped cream, maraschino cherries, and chocolate
sprinkles (or chocolate shavings).

--
Mike
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11-Apr-2012, "Mike Muth" > wrote:

> Yep. Schwarzwäler Kirschtorte.

Correction: Schwarzwälder.

--
Mike
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 18:13:54 GMT, "Mike Muth"
> wrote:

> On 11-Apr-2012, sf > wrote:
>
> > If you come up with a good one, please let me know. I love BF
> > cake
> > too - but when push comes to shove, it always seems too
> > complicated.

> I have two recipes for this. One is the complicated, involved
> recipe. The other is a simpler expedient which produces a pretty
> good cake with *much less* work. Let me know if you want them.
> I won't post the complicated one since I'm not sure where the
> wife found it, but I will mail it to you if you like. I can post
> the wife's shorter recipe if someone wants it.

I'll take the shorter one, because I'm more likely to make it.
Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 17:34:53 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 11/04/2012 1:31 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:
> >
> > My grandson informed me that he wants a Black Forest Cake for his 14th
> > birthday next month. I have no idea where he came up with that, but I
> > don't recall ever making one before. I googled it and several of them
> > have alcohol in them, which I prefer not to use, as not sure how his
> > mother would feel about that, but he'd probably love it!
> >
> > I have made a cake where beat the cherry pie filling into a chocolate
> > cake mix and frost it with a fudge frosting, but I was thinking more of
> > a layer cake and using whipped cream for the frosting with the cherries
> > between the layers and for garnish on top??
> >
> > If you have a good recipe you wouldn't mind sharing, I'd be very
> > appreciative.
> >

> Since you have never made one, and this is for a kid, why not go with a
> mix? Dr, Oetker makes a decent one. There was a box of it in my mother's
> cupboards when we were cleaning out her condo after she died. I tried it
> and I have to say it was pretty good. I gave up on buying them years
> ago because Black Forest cakes tend to be disappoint, but this mix
> actually pretty good.

I've never heard of that brand before. Is it strictly an internet
thing? I don't see a store finder on their web site.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/04/2012 9:27 PM, sf wrote:

>> Since you have never made one, and this is for a kid, why not go with a
>> mix? Dr, Oetker makes a decent one. There was a box of it in my mother's
>> cupboards when we were cleaning out her condo after she died. I tried it
>> and I have to say it was pretty good. I gave up on buying them years
>> ago because Black Forest cakes tend to be disappoint, but this mix
>> actually pretty good.

> I've never heard of that brand before. Is it strictly an internet
> thing? I don't see a store finder on their web site.

Most grocery stores around here carry at least some of the Dr.Oetker
products. German and Dutch delicatessens usually carry a wider range of
them. I a have always found their products to be pretty good, and their
cake mixes are better than any others. I was really pretty impressed
with the Black Forest cake. I had almost given up on Black Forest cake.
My best friend was German and his mother used to get nice ones from
German delis. I have bought them a number of times and always been
disappointed, but the one I made from that mix was pretty good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

Ask him whether he meant Black Forest Cheesecake because that is pretty
popular today. You have a dark oreo crust, chocolate cheesecake, and a
can of cherry pie filling over the top, dotted with whip cream.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/11/2012 9:27 PM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 17:34:53 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> On 11/04/2012 1:31 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:
>>>
>>> My grandson informed me that he wants a Black Forest Cake for his 14th
>>> birthday next month. I have no idea where he came up with that, but I
>>> don't recall ever making one before. I googled it and several of them
>>> have alcohol in them, which I prefer not to use, as not sure how his
>>> mother would feel about that, but he'd probably love it!
>>>
>>> I have made a cake where beat the cherry pie filling into a chocolate
>>> cake mix and frost it with a fudge frosting, but I was thinking more of
>>> a layer cake and using whipped cream for the frosting with the cherries
>>> between the layers and for garnish on top??
>>>
>>> If you have a good recipe you wouldn't mind sharing, I'd be very
>>> appreciative.
>>>

>> Since you have never made one, and this is for a kid, why not go with a
>> mix? Dr, Oetker makes a decent one. There was a box of it in my mother's
>> cupboards when we were cleaning out her condo after she died. I tried it
>> and I have to say it was pretty good. I gave up on buying them years
>> ago because Black Forest cakes tend to be disappoint, but this mix
>> actually pretty good.

> I've never heard of that brand before. Is it strictly an internet
> thing? I don't see a store finder on their web site.

I've seen it on the US East Coast, as well as in Europe.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11-Apr-2012, (Judy Haffner) wrote:

> I wonder approximately how much Kirschwasser you'd sprinkle
> over the cake layers?

A shot glass should do it.

--
Mike

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11-Apr-2012, sf > wrote:

> I've never heard of that brand before

Dr Oetker is the major brand for mixes for puddings, cakes, etc.
in Germany. 'Tis good stuff.

--
Mike
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11-Apr-2012, sf > wrote:

> I'll take the shorter one, because I'm more likely to make it.

Already posted here. I'll post it in the mailing list, too.

--
Mike
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/04/12 18:43, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 11/04/2012 9:27 PM, sf wrote:
>
>>> Since you have never made one, and this is for a kid, why not go with a
>>> mix? Dr, Oetker makes a decent one. There was a box of it in my mother's
>>> cupboards when we were cleaning out her condo after she died. I tried it
>>> and I have to say it was pretty good. I gave up on buying them years
>>> ago because Black Forest cakes tend to be disappoint, but this mix
>>> actually pretty good.

>> I've never heard of that brand before. Is it strictly an internet
>> thing? I don't see a store finder on their web site.
>>

> Most grocery stores around here carry at least some of the Dr.Oetker
> products. German and Dutch delicatessens usually carry a wider range of
> them. I a have always found their products to be pretty good, and their
> cake mixes are better than any others. I was really pretty impressed
> with the Black Forest cake. I had almost given up on Black Forest cake.
> My best friend was German and his mother used to get nice ones from
> German delis. I have bought them a number of times and always been
> disappointed, but the one I made from that mix was pretty good.

I "grew up" on Maggi seasonings and soups, and Dr Oetker everything
else ! I find them in Canadian supermarkets all the time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 11, 8:50*pm, (z z) wrote:

> Ask him whether he meant Black Forest Cheesecake because that is pretty
> popular today. You have a dark oreo crust, chocolate cheesecake, and a
> can of cherry pie filling over the top, dotted with whip cream.

I could have sworn Ju-Ju said black forest c-a-k-e. No where did she
mention cheesecake. There are tried and true recipes on Webcipes if
she cares to take the time to look.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

[I could have sworn Ju-Ju said black forest c-a-k-e. No where did she
mention cheesecake. There are tried and true recipes on Webcipes if she
cares to take the time to look.]

Joan is my stalker from Webtvland spreading happiness and cheer wherever
I go :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

z z wrote:

>Joan is my stalker from Webtvland
> spreading happiness and cheer
> wherever I go :-)

Doesn't surprise me at all...figured she was either a stalker, or a
troll, who was more likely a JOE than a Joan, from reading "her" posts
since I started coming to this group.

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> On 11/04/2012 9:27 PM, sf wrote:
>
>>> Since you have never made one, and this is for a kid, why not go with a
>>> mix? Dr, Oetker makes a decent one. There was a box of it in my mother's
>>> cupboards when we were cleaning out her condo after she died. I tried it
>>> and I have to say it was pretty good. I gave up on buying them years
>>> ago because Black Forest cakes tend to be disappoint, but this mix
>>> actually pretty good.

>> I've never heard of that brand before. Is it strictly an internet
>> thing? I don't see a store finder on their web site.
>>

> Most grocery stores around here carry at least some of the Dr.Oetker
> products. German and Dutch delicatessens usually carry a wider range of
> them. I a have always found their products to be pretty good, and their
> cake mixes are better than any others. I was really pretty impressed
> with the Black Forest cake. I had almost given up on Black Forest cake.
> My best friend was German and his mother used to get nice ones from
> German delis. I have bought them a number of times and always been
> disappointed, but the one I made from that mix was pretty good.

I hope I can find that. I have looked at the Dr. Oetker products,
and the ingredients are much better than they are for most brands.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Judy Haffner wrote:
> A Moose in Love wrote:
>
>> The Black Forest is in Germany. In the
>> hotel that I worked at, they added Swiss
>> Kirsch Wasser.

> Thanks Moose! I just printed off a recipe I found on the Net, and it
> calls for 3 tbsp. brandy added to the cake ingredients, but didn't say
> what kind. I don't think anybody would even know it had alcohol in it,
> with that little amount, so it's not like I'm contributing to the
> deliquentcy of a minor!! ;-)
>
> I think alcohol evaporates when using it in cooking/baking anyway? and
> always gives such a good added flavor to most anything you put it in,
> IMO.
>
> Judy

If you want to know how much alcohol remains after cooking in
various ways, see the RFC FAQ, which Victor for kindly posts links
to on a regular basis. In case you have deleted his most recent
post, here is the link:

<http://vsack.homepage.t-online.de/rfc_faq.html>

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, April 12, 2012 8:40:21 PM UTC-5, Judy Haffner wrote:>
> z z wrote:
>
> >Joan is my stalker from Webtvland
> > spreading happiness and cheer
> > wherever I go :-)

Oh my gosh, zz has finally learned how to quote, sorta.

> Doesn't surprise me at all...figured she was either a stalker, or a
> troll, who was more likely a JOE than a Joan, from reading "her" posts
> since I started coming to this group.
>
> Judy

Hate to burst your bubble Ju-Ju, I'm female and always have been and always will be.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 16/04/2012 9:10 PM, Jean B. wrote:

>> Most grocery stores around here carry at least some of the Dr.Oetker
>> products. German and Dutch delicatessens usually carry a wider range
>> of them. I a have always found their products to be pretty good, and
>> their cake mixes are better than any others. I was really pretty
>> impressed with the Black Forest cake. I had almost given up on Black
>> Forest cake. My best friend was German and his mother used to get nice
>> ones from German delis. I have bought them a number of times and
>> always been disappointed, but the one I made from that mix was pretty
>> good.

> I hope I can find that. I have looked at the Dr. Oetker products, and
> the ingredients are much better than they are for most brands.

I hope that you can find them. I have tried a number of their products
and have always been impressed. I cannot say the same for other
companies' cooking mix products. They mousses, Struesel cakes,lava
cakes etc. As I said before I got the Black Forest cake mix from my
mother's pantry when we sold her condo. I figured we might as well use
it. I was impressed.... word of caution... IIRC, you need a pint of
whipping cream for the cream icing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 16/04/2012 9:10 PM, Jean B. wrote:

> I hope I can find that. I have looked at the Dr. Oetker products, and
> the ingredients are much better than they are for most brands.

Sorry... forgot to mention.... if you cannot find Dr. Oether products
in a regular grocery store, look for a German Deli. They are also sold
in Dutch and eastern European delis around here.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 10:48:19 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 16/04/2012 9:10 PM, Jean B. wrote:
> >

> > I hope I can find that. I have looked at the Dr. Oetker products, and
> > the ingredients are much better than they are for most brands.
> >

> Sorry... forgot to mention.... if you cannot find Dr. Oether products
> in a regular grocery store, look for a German Deli. They are also sold
> in Dutch and eastern European delis around here.

Oh! I thought it was an internet product. We have one German store
left here, maybe they have it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 17/04/2012 1:45 PM, sf wrote:

>>> I hope I can find that. I have looked at the Dr. Oetker products, and
>>> the ingredients are much better than they are for most brands.
>>>

>> Sorry... forgot to mention.... if you cannot find Dr. Oether products
>> in a regular grocery store, look for a German Deli. They are also sold
>> in Dutch and eastern European delis around here.

> Oh! I thought it was an internet product. We have one German store
> left here, maybe they have it.

You asked about that last week and I said back then that they are
available in grocery stores and delicatessens.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 21:41:34 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> >> Sorry... forgot to mention.... if you cannot find Dr. Oether products
> >> in a regular grocery store, look for a German Deli. They are also sold
> >> in Dutch and eastern European delis around here.

> > Oh! I thought it was an internet product. We have one German store
> > left here, maybe they have it.

> You asked about that last week and I said back then that they are
> available in grocery stores and delicatessens.

I remember, but I've never seen it here. I looked it up and searched
for a vendor in my city but didn't come up with any place. Was I
supposed to know immediately that the one German store I've only heard
of carried it without going inside?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> On 16/04/2012 9:10 PM, Jean B. wrote:
>

>>> Most grocery stores around here carry at least some of the Dr.Oetker
>>> products. German and Dutch delicatessens usually carry a wider range
>>> of them. I a have always found their products to be pretty good, and
>>> their cake mixes are better than any others. I was really pretty
>>> impressed with the Black Forest cake. I had almost given up on Black
>>> Forest cake. My best friend was German and his mother used to get nice
>>> ones from German delis. I have bought them a number of times and
>>> always been disappointed, but the one I made from that mix was pretty
>>> good.

>> I hope I can find that. I have looked at the Dr. Oetker products, and
>> the ingredients are much better than they are for most brands.
>>

> I hope that you can find them. I have tried a number of their products
> and have always been impressed. I cannot say the same for other
> companies' cooking mix products. They mousses, Struesel cakes,lava
> cakes etc. As I said before I got the Black Forest cake mix from my
> mother's pantry when we sold her condo. I figured we might as well use
> it. I was impressed.... word of caution... IIRC, you need a pint of
> whipping cream for the cream icing.

I'll try to remember to look. I don't use mixes often, but I do
know the Oetker ones contain much better ingredients than one
normally sees here. If I happen to look at one of the common
brands here, I start reading the ingredients, and it goes right
back on the shelf.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> On 16/04/2012 9:10 PM, Jean B. wrote:
>>

>> I hope I can find that. I have looked at the Dr. Oetker products, and
>> the ingredients are much better than they are for most brands.
>>

> Sorry... forgot to mention.... if you cannot find Dr. Oether products
> in a regular grocery store, look for a German Deli. They are also sold
> in Dutch and eastern European delis around here.

Ahhhhh. While I do see some Oetker products in at least one
supermarket chain here, I also live within easy walking distance
of an Eastern European store. Good idea!

--
Jean B.

New Recipe: Black Forest Cake Cocktail cktlconnoisseur General 0 29-03-2011 09:50 PM
Black Forest Chocolate Cake Pat Shipp Recipes (moderated) 0 24-11-2007 05:20 PM
Black Forest Cake Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 12-09-2005 03:29 AM
Black Forest Cake William Baking 9 17-09-2004 04:23 AM
recipe for Black Forest chocolate cake T E General Cooking 5 07-05-2004 12:42 AM