Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Lining a lazy Susan cupboard

"MaryL" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" wrote in message ...
>

> "MaryL" > wrote in message
>>

>> "Julie Bove" wrote in message ...
>>
>> Bull wrote:

>>> The ones I have are a circle with a wedge cut out and have a lip all
>>> the way around. Measure the diameter of the circle and cut one.
>>> when you have the circle make a split to the center for the post.
>>> Cut out the wedge. Tweak the pattern until it fits. Then trace to
>>> the liner cut another one. Takes a little time but not that hard to
>>> do. My house was built about 1990 and those were the thing then.
>>> There are much better storage solutions today - but I'm not taking
>>> mine out because I am never changing the cabinets. I know what's in
>>> there and don't have a problem with it. It is way better than a
>>> "dead space" corner. Mine are in the lower cabinets only.

>> How do I measure the diamater of the circle? I am not good with math.
>> My
>> house was built in 81 but was probably remodeled around 90.
>>
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> Why not use paper? You could use brown paper--the type for packing
>> boxes--and press it around the sides to form a crease. Cut along the
>> creases to make the pattern, lay it back in the lazy Susan to make sure
>> it is correct, and then use that as a template.

> That is what I am going to do but I will use newspaper. Frankly I hadn't
> even thought of that because I have never had to do anything like that
> before. When I put the Contact paper in there, I had to do it in pieces
> because it wasn't wide enough. I think I used three pieces. The end
> result
> wasn't bad but it didn't hold up really well. And I really hate messing
> with Contact paper. If you put it down wrong by accident then it's
> ruined.
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> The reason I suggested brown packing paper is that it is sturdier than
> newspaper. Newspaper could tear easily, but it is certainly worth trying
> (free!).

Yes. Free is the ultimate word. I haven't seen any brown packing paper in
years. I don't even know if you can still get it in any of the regular
stores around here. I used to have a lot of brown paper bags but I rarely
get those now. I mainly use my own purchased bags or once in a while I will
get plastic ones if that is an option. We do use the plastic ones for some
things. But in Edmonds they have been banned so you can't get them in the
stores there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 3 Apr 2012 19:51:37 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> I just measured the depth and it appears to be about 16" (just eyeballed and
> didn't measure) and the liner I have is 20" which is the widest I have
> found. Due to the curve of the shelf I don't think this will be wide
> enough. I am sure there is some mathematical way to express this but
> according to some here I am too stupid to know what that is. I certainly
> don't know the term(s) for it and I am not going to google to try to find
> it.

Amazon has what's called a "laminating roll" (24 inches x 600 inches),
I think that's as close as you're going to get to adhesive shelf
paper. You might have a Avery store up there. Look in a school
supply store if you can't find it anywhere else.
<http://www.amazon.com/Avery-Self-Adhesive-Laminating-inches-73610/dp/B00006IC7I>
You may have to end up doing your liner in sections and give up on the
one piece idea.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, says...

> The Cook wrote:
> > On Tue, 3 Apr 2012 07:35:11 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:
> >

> >> "The Cook" > wrote in message
> >> news > >>> On Mon, 2 Apr 2012 19:20:03 -0700, "Julie Bove"

> >> Thank you. That would be pretty hard to measure seeing as how I
> >> can't access all of it at once.
> >>

> > In that case measure from the center to an outer edge. Take a string
> > and tie a pencil to one end. Measure from the pencil to the length
> > you just measured. Then hold the other end on the piece of paper.
> > Draw a circle. Cut it out and test it in the circle.It should fit
> > pretty well and you can make whatever adjustments you need.

> I don't HAVE a circle. It's the pie shaped one.

Pies are round. pie slices are cut from the round.

You can use the radius measurement to draw a circle on paper. Then cut
the pie-shape from the circle. By measuring the outer curve on the LS
shelf, you can measure that on the edge of the circle to get the right
size slice.

This is kids stuff, Julie. Your daughter could do it, why not let her.

Janet

Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 3, 9:51*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "sf" > wrote in message

> > On Tue, 3 Apr 2012 18:48:07 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:

> >> The shape I have has a big wedge out of it. *How about I ask another
> >> question then. *Does anyone know where I can get shelf paper made for
> >> this
> >> type of shelf? *In other words, extra wide? *That is my problem. *Trying
> >> get something that is big enough. *Someone suggested floor tiles but in
> >> thinking about that, that would be a big waste because of the rounded
> >> edge.
> >> And a real PITA I think to cut to size and install. *I really would like
> >> have something that is all one piece. *But it doesn't seem like that is
> >> going to happen.

> > Some craft stores, fabric stores and old fashioned Five & Dimes sell
> > oil cloth. *I think I've seen something clear with a peel off backing
> > tucked in with the oil cloth, try calling around to places like that.

> I have not seen any of that around in years! *I can't remember now where I
> was living when I did see it. *Perhaps in CA? *I do remember seeing it in
> rolls on big racks. *We are going to Hobby Lobby tomorrow. *I will look
> there. *But I don't remember seeing any. *Thanks. *I was thinking of getting
> flannel backed table cloths but again that would result in a lot of waste..

There is self-stick clear plastic (and "frosted" style, too) available
in nearly every fabric store and also in home stores like Menard's,
Lowe's, etc. Like sf said, just call around.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote:
>"sf" wrote:
>> "Julie Bove" wrote:
>>>
>>> The shape I have has a big wedge out of it. How about I ask another
>>> question then. Does anyone know where I can get shelf paper made for
>>> this
>>> type of shelf? In other words, extra wide? That is my problem. Trying
>>> get something that is big enough. Someone suggested floor tiles but in
>>> thinking about that, that would be a big waste because of the rounded
>>> edge.
>>> And a real PITA I think to cut to size and install. I really would like
>>> have something that is all one piece. But it doesn't seem like that is
>>> going to happen.
>>>

>> Some craft stores, fabric stores and old fashioned Five & Dimes sell
>> oil cloth. I think I've seen something clear with a peel off backing
>> tucked in with the oil cloth, try calling around to places like that.

>I have not seen any of that around in years!

Obviously you haven't looked...
Most fabric fabric stores sell oilcloth by the yard, many people use
it to make their own tablecloths, etc.
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&rh=n...9514011&page=1
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>"Julie Bove" wrote:
>
>When I put the Contact paper in there, I had to do it in pieces
>because it wasn't wide enough. I think I used three pieces. The end result
>wasn't bad but it didn't hold up really well. And I really hate messing
>with Contact paper. If you put it down wrong by accident then it's ruined.

Contact paper is difficult to work with, especially on odd
configurations. I once bought a few rolls of contact paper to line a
linen closet, it was so much trouble to work with that after a half
hour I tossed it all in the trash... contact paper was invented by a
sadistic *******. I wouldn't glue anything down permanently... use
ordinary shelf paper held in place with a few dabs of rubber cement. I
now use those glue sticks of paper cement by Scotch; easy to peel off
later. My cabinet shelves are covered with shelf paper held in place
with a minimal number of ordinary thumbtacks... Dollar stores sell
both shelving paper and thumbtacks... I lined my shelves ten years ago
and they are still like new.
Inexpensive, no odor, and very handy for many ordinary household
applications:
http://www.staples.com/3M-Scotch-Res...product_510818

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 3 Apr 2012 21:55:02 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>I haven't seen any brown packing paper in
>years. I don't even know if you can still get it in any of the regular
>stores around here.

Every stupidmarket sells rolls of brown butcher paper... and large
brown paper bags would work well too.. I used to use them for book
covers... I still occasionally use brown paper bags for wrapping
something... in fact I have about a dozen stored between my desk and
the wall.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 4 Apr 2012 11:50:43 +0100, Janet > wrote:

>In article >, says...
>>
>> The Cook wrote:
>> > On Tue, 3 Apr 2012 07:35:11 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>> > In that case measure from the center to an outer edge. Take a string
>> > and tie a pencil to one end. Measure from the pencil to the length
>> > you just measured. Then hold the other end on the piece of paper.
>> > Draw a circle. Cut it out and test it in the circle.It should fit
>> > pretty well and you can make whatever adjustments you need.

>> I don't HAVE a circle. It's the pie shaped one.

> Pies are round. pie slices are cut from the round.
>
> You can use the radius measurement to draw a circle on paper. Then cut
>the pie-shape from the circle. By measuring the outer curve on the LS
>shelf, you can measure that on the edge of the circle to get the right
>size slice.
>
> This is kids stuff, Julie. Your daughter could do it, why not let her.

Any five year old who can cut out paper dolls can do it, even kids who
are learning impaired are adept at paper and scissor tasks. And it's
very easy to make a compass (trammel) that will assist in drawing
large circles; a cheapo wooden yard stick with a small nail (brad)
driven into one end and tape a pencil at whatever mark one needs can
lay out a circle up to nearly six feet in diameter... make ones own or
buy:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/GEN...949?Pid=search
There is also a type of trammel for laying out an ellipse:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trammel_of_Archimedes
I must have a dozen freebie wooden yard sticks that are used for
advertising by millinery shops... for laying out larger arcs clamp
however many together... professional precision trammel sets include
several rods that can be screwed together, enough for laying out like
a fifty foot diameter. Landscapers lay out huge arcs by driving a
stake into the ground and using a long length of line to mark the arc.
I'm beginning to think that as a child Julie was truly dropped on her
head and/or the OB used ice tongs to extract her.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 4, 11:10*am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> >"Julie Bove" *wrote:

> >When I put the Contact paper in there, I had to do it in pieces
> >because it wasn't wide enough. *I think I used three pieces. *The end result
> >wasn't bad but it didn't hold up really well. *And I really hate messing
> >with Contact paper. *If you put it down wrong by accident then it's ruined.

> Contact paper is difficult to work with, especially on odd
> configurations. *I once bought a few rolls of contact paper to line a
> linen closet, it was so much trouble to work with that after a half
> hour I tossed it all in the trash... contact paper was invented by a
> sadistic *******. *I wouldn't glue anything down permanently... use
> ordinary shelf paper held in place with a few dabs of rubber cement. I
> now use those glue sticks of paper cement by Scotch; easy to peel off
> later. *My cabinet shelves are covered with shelf paper held in place
> with a minimal number of ordinary thumbtacks... Dollar stores sell
> both shelving paper and thumbtacks... I lined my shelves ten years ago
> and they are still like new.
> Inexpensive, no odor, and very handy for many ordinary household
> applications:http://www.staples.com/3M-Scotch-Res...-20-oz/product...

I use old, stained placemats to line cupboard shelves. They stay put
pretty well and can toss in the wash. They turn bangs and clatters
into thuds when putting dishes and metalware away. An inverted damp
glass dries nicely on em too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 3, 5:41*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> Brooklyn1 wrote:
> > On Mon, 2 Apr 2012 20:08:52 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:

> >> "Pennyaline" > wrote in message
> . ..

> >> Here's a pic of something similar. *This isn't exactly what mine is
> >> because mine is all wood and is attached to the cabinet fronts.
> >> It's the pie cut. Mine has two shelves.

> >>http://www.cabinetparts.com/c/kitche...d=CJbboM_Zl68C....

> > Those things waste a lot of space... I'd remove them. *I have two
> > corner cabinets that are quite deep, so I use them to store tall items
> > like paper towels stacked on end, aluminum foil/wax paper, plastic
> > wrap boxes on end, 2 liter soda bottles, way into the depths gallon
> > jugs of emergency water, and near the front 1.75 L bottles of Crystal
> > Palace. *I wouldn't think to store canned goods in any bottom cabinet,
> > they are all too deep and too low... I hate creeping about on the
> > floor to find stuff. *Bottom cabinets are for storing large items one
> > doesn't use on a daily basis, even a monthly basis. *But I do use
> > those small plastic lazy susans from Rubbermaid (I have three) in one
> > of my upper cabinets for storing spice bottles; items on the lazy
> > susan and items around the perimeter, no wasted space. *I don't store
> > many canned goods and rarely used items in my kitchen, that's what a
> > basement is for.

> I haven't got much choice. *I have no pantry and most of my top cupboards
> are filled with dishes and casseroles. *I do not have a lot of those either.
> I have one small cupboard with cat food. *One with rice and pasta, one with
> spices, one with oil, vinegar, nuts, and any other smallish things that I
> can't put anywhere else. *Every cupboard I have is full to the max. *The top
> of my fridge is full of things like crackers and beef jerky. *And I've had
> to put a shelving unit in my dining room for chips and cereal.
>
> As I said before and I know you will make a joke about it... *If I remove
> the lazy Susan there will be a gaping hole. *Not even cupboard doors because
> they are attached to the lazy Susan. *Hardly a good place to store things.
>
> My other lower cabinets are all pullouts and also a bad design in that they
> are shallow and things are constantly bailing over the back. *For this
> reason I try not to pull them out. *One has pots and pans. *One has baking
> pans, tortilla warmers, larger plastics, and the other has bags and wraps..

Maybe you are stockpiling too much food? Try eating down your
inventory for a week or two and take it from there.

I'd remove the Susan and stick with movable shelves. Altho, I have
often thought that behind a well-loaded Susan would be a good place to
hide stuff. What burglar would want to tackle emptying the Susan to
peer in that dark recess?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:

> Contact paper is difficult to work with, especially on odd
> configurations.

Contact paper should be outlawed.

I line my kitchen shelves with plain printer/copier paper. No stick, easy
removal when you want to replace it.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/4/2012 11:10 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> Contact paper is difficult to work with, especially on odd
> configurations. I once bought a few rolls of contact paper to line a
> linen closet, it was so much trouble to work with that after a half
> hour I tossed it all in the trash... contact paper was invented by a
> sadistic *******.

Just recently I completed a project using Contact paper. I
successfully avoided the stuff for years, but this situation
needed it.

Well, I was pleasantly surprised how well it turned out and how
cooperative the paper was compared to my past experiences. This
stuff you can peel off and adjust if it didn't go right the first
time.

I think they still make the permanent stick stuff, too.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 3 Apr 2012 19:51:37 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> I just measured the depth and it appears to be about 16" (just eyeballed
>> and
>> didn't measure) and the liner I have is 20" which is the widest I have
>> found. Due to the curve of the shelf I don't think this will be wide
>> enough. I am sure there is some mathematical way to express this but
>> according to some here I am too stupid to know what that is. I certainly
>> don't know the term(s) for it and I am not going to google to try to find
>> it.

> Amazon has what's called a "laminating roll" (24 inches x 600 inches),
> I think that's as close as you're going to get to adhesive shelf
> paper. You might have a Avery store up there. Look in a school
> supply store if you can't find it anywhere else.
> <http://www.amazon.com/Avery-Self-Adhesive-Laminating-inches-73610/dp/B00006IC7I>
> You may have to end up doing your liner in sections and give up on the
> one piece idea.

Yeah. The shelf paper I ordered online was expensive but just didn't work.
At any rate I think the kind I bought will keep at least the items touching
it from bailing off of the shelf. It is that gripping kind.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:
> On Apr 3, 9:51 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> "sf" > wrote in message

>>> On Tue, 3 Apr 2012 18:48:07 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> Some craft stores, fabric stores and old fashioned Five & Dimes sell
>>> oil cloth. I think I've seen something clear with a peel off backing
>>> tucked in with the oil cloth, try calling around to places like
>>> that.

>> I have not seen any of that around in years! I can't remember now
>> where I was living when I did see it. Perhaps in CA? I do remember
>> seeing it in rolls on big racks. We are going to Hobby Lobby
>> tomorrow. I will look there. But I don't remember seeing any.
>> Thanks. I was thinking of getting flannel backed table cloths but
>> again that would result in a lot of waste.
>>

> There is self-stick clear plastic (and "frosted" style, too) available
> in nearly every fabric store and also in home stores like Menard's,
> Lowe's, etc. Like sf said, just call around.

I will look at Hobby Lobby.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:
> "Julie Bove" wrote:

>>> Some craft stores, fabric stores and old fashioned Five & Dimes sell
>>> oil cloth. I think I've seen something clear with a peel off
>>> backing tucked in with the oil cloth, try calling around to places
>>> like that.

>> I have not seen any of that around in years!

> Obviously you haven't looked...
> Most fabric fabric stores sell oilcloth by the yard, many people use
> it to make their own tablecloths, etc.
> http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&rh=n...9514011&page=1

Thanks! I will look today at Hobby Lobby. I don't sew so generally don't
buy fabric unless I need something specific for some project and I haven't
looked in a very long time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:
> In article >,
> says...
>>
>> The Cook wrote:
>>> On Tue, 3 Apr 2012 07:35:11 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> In that case measure from the center to an outer edge. Take a
>>> string and tie a pencil to one end. Measure from the pencil to the
>>> length you just measured. Then hold the other end on the piece of
>>> paper. Draw a circle. Cut it out and test it in the circle.It
>>> should fit pretty well and you can make whatever adjustments you
>>> need.

>> I don't HAVE a circle. It's the pie shaped one.

> Pies are round. pie slices are cut from the round.
>
> You can use the radius measurement to draw a circle on paper. Then
> cut the pie-shape from the circle. By measuring the outer curve on
> the LS shelf, you can measure that on the edge of the circle to get
> the right size slice.
>
> This is kids stuff, Julie. Your daughter could do it, why not let
> her.

I don't know that she *could* do it. She was no help to me the other times
when I tried to line the shelf. She didn't know how.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Apr 2012 11:50:43 +0100, Janet > wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> says...

>>> I don't HAVE a circle. It's the pie shaped one.

>> Pies are round. pie slices are cut from the round.
>>
>> You can use the radius measurement to draw a circle on paper. Then
>> cut the pie-shape from the circle. By measuring the outer curve on
>> the LS shelf, you can measure that on the edge of the circle to get
>> the right size slice.
>>
>> This is kids stuff, Julie. Your daughter could do it, why not let
>> her.

> Any five year old who can cut out paper dolls can do it, even kids who
> are learning impaired are adept at paper and scissor tasks. And it's
> very easy to make a compass (trammel) that will assist in drawing
> large circles; a cheapo wooden yard stick with a small nail (brad)
> driven into one end and tape a pencil at whatever mark one needs can
> lay out a circle up to nearly six feet in diameter... make ones own or
> buy:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/GEN...949?Pid=search
> There is also a type of trammel for laying out an ellipse:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trammel_of_Archimedes
> I must have a dozen freebie wooden yard sticks that are used for
> advertising by millinery shops... for laying out larger arcs clamp
> however many together... professional precision trammel sets include
> several rods that can be screwed together, enough for laying out like
> a fifty foot diameter. Landscapers lay out huge arcs by driving a
> stake into the ground and using a long length of line to mark the arc.
> I'm beginning to think that as a child Julie was truly dropped on her
> head and/or the OB used ice tongs to extract her.

Maybe you cut out paper dolls when you were a kid. My dad used to do it. I
had no interest and these days kids don't use paper dolls at all!

And maybe you have those tools but I do not. I don't even own a yardstick.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Apr 2012 21:55:02 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> I haven't seen any brown packing paper in
>> years. I don't even know if you can still get it in any of the
>> regular stores around here.

> Every stupidmarket sells rolls of brown butcher paper... and large
> brown paper bags would work well too.. I used to use them for book
> covers... I still occasionally use brown paper bags for wrapping
> something... in fact I have about a dozen stored between my desk and
> the wall.

I would not buy brown paper for this. I'd rather have to have half assed
lining than to pay more money on this.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> "Julie Bove" wrote:
>>
>> When I put the Contact paper in there, I had to do it in pieces
>> because it wasn't wide enough. I think I used three pieces. The
>> end result wasn't bad but it didn't hold up really well. And I
>> really hate messing with Contact paper. If you put it down wrong by
>> accident then it's ruined.

> Contact paper is difficult to work with, especially on odd
> configurations. I once bought a few rolls of contact paper to line a
> linen closet, it was so much trouble to work with that after a half
> hour I tossed it all in the trash... contact paper was invented by a
> sadistic *******. I wouldn't glue anything down permanently... use
> ordinary shelf paper held in place with a few dabs of rubber cement. I
> now use those glue sticks of paper cement by Scotch; easy to peel off
> later. My cabinet shelves are covered with shelf paper held in place
> with a minimal number of ordinary thumbtacks... Dollar stores sell
> both shelving paper and thumbtacks... I lined my shelves ten years ago
> and they are still like new.
> Inexpensive, no odor, and very handy for many ordinary household
> applications:
> http://www.staples.com/3M-Scotch-Res...product_510818

Thanks! I had never seen that before. Will look for it today.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:
> On Apr 4, 11:10 am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>>> "Julie Bove" wrote:

>>> When I put the Contact paper in there, I had to do it in pieces
>>> because it wasn't wide enough. I think I used three pieces. The end
>>> result wasn't bad but it didn't hold up really well. And I really
>>> hate messing with Contact paper. If you put it down wrong by
>>> accident then it's ruined.

>> Contact paper is difficult to work with, especially on odd
>> configurations. I once bought a few rolls of contact paper to line a
>> linen closet, it was so much trouble to work with that after a half
>> hour I tossed it all in the trash... contact paper was invented by a
>> sadistic *******. I wouldn't glue anything down permanently... use
>> ordinary shelf paper held in place with a few dabs of rubber cement.
>> I now use those glue sticks of paper cement by Scotch; easy to peel
>> off later. My cabinet shelves are covered with shelf paper held in
>> place with a minimal number of ordinary thumbtacks... Dollar stores
>> sell both shelving paper and thumbtacks... I lined my shelves ten
>> years ago and they are still like new.
>> Inexpensive, no odor, and very handy for many ordinary household
>> applications:http://www.staples.com/3M-Scotch-Res...-20-oz/product...

> I use old, stained placemats to line cupboard shelves. They stay put
> pretty well and can toss in the wash. They turn bangs and clatters
> into thuds when putting dishes and metalware away. An inverted damp
> glass dries nicely on em too.

Ah... There's a thought too! I don't have any more placemats. I used to
have a ton because I got them for free as gifts at a place where I used to
order. But they seemed to have outsourced their shipping and customer
service departments. Things went really sour. I wound up getting a ton of
free products from them from all of their screwups but I could no longer
count on them getting me my order in a timely fashion. So I quit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> On 4/4/2012 11:10 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>> Contact paper is difficult to work with, especially on odd
>> configurations. I once bought a few rolls of contact paper to line a
>> linen closet, it was so much trouble to work with that after a half
>> hour I tossed it all in the trash... contact paper was invented by a
>> sadistic *******.

> Just recently I completed a project using Contact paper. I
> successfully avoided the stuff for years, but this situation
> needed it.
>
> Well, I was pleasantly surprised how well it turned out and how
> cooperative the paper was compared to my past experiences. This
> stuff you can peel off and adjust if it didn't go right the first
> time.
>
> I think they still make the permanent stick stuff, too.

Hmmm... I haven't seen that kind. Not too many stores seem to carry it any
more and I basically only see the clear and the white.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/4/2012 4:22 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> Any five year old who can cut out paper dolls can do it, even kids who
>> are learning impaired are adept at paper and scissor tasks...

> Maybe you cut out paper dolls when you were a kid. My dad used to do it. I
> had no interest and these days kids don't use paper dolls at all!

Uh...

What an interesting excuse for being unwilling to do something.

>> I must have a dozen freebie wooden yard sticks that are used for
>> advertising by millinery shops... for laying out larger arcs clamp
>> however many together... professional precision trammel sets include
>> several rods that can be screwed together, enough for laying out like
>> a fifty foot diameter. Landscapers lay out huge arcs by driving a
>> stake into the ground and using a long length of line to mark the arc.
>> I'm beginning to think that as a child Julie was truly dropped on her
>> head and/or the OB used ice tongs to extract her.
> >

> And maybe you have those tools but I do not. I don't even own a yardstick.

And it goes around and around and around, and it comes out here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pennyaline" > wrote in message
> On 4/4/2012 4:22 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>> Any five year old who can cut out paper dolls can do it, even kids who
>>> are learning impaired are adept at paper and scissor tasks...

>> Maybe you cut out paper dolls when you were a kid. My dad used to do it.
>> had no interest and these days kids don't use paper dolls at all!

> Uh...
>
> What an interesting excuse for being unwilling to do something.

Who is unwilling to do what?

>>> I must have a dozen freebie wooden yard sticks that are used for
>>> advertising by millinery shops... for laying out larger arcs clamp
>>> however many together... professional precision trammel sets include
>>> several rods that can be screwed together, enough for laying out like
>>> a fifty foot diameter. Landscapers lay out huge arcs by driving a
>>> stake into the ground and using a long length of line to mark the arc.
>>> I'm beginning to think that as a child Julie was truly dropped on her
>>> head and/or the OB used ice tongs to extract her.
>> >

>> And maybe you have those tools but I do not. I don't even own a
>> yardstick.

> And it goes around and around and around, and it comes out here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 4, 9:09*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Pennyaline" > wrote in message
>
> ...> On 4/4/2012 4:22 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> >> Maybe you cut out paper dolls when you were a kid. *My dad used to do it.
> >> had no interest and these days kids don't use paper dolls at all!

> > Uh...

> > What an interesting excuse for being unwilling to do something.

> Who is unwilling *to do what?

> >> And maybe you have those tools but I do not. *I don't even own a
> >> yardstick.

> > And it goes around and around and around, and it comes out here.

Sounds like pretty much everything, like her mother.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, says...

> "Janet" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
says...

> >> I don't know that she *could* do it. She was no help to me the other
> >> times
> >> when I tried to line the shelf. She didn't know how.

> > Let her work it out. You don't want her to grow up helpless and
> > incompetent.

> It's not HER shelf. I'm not going to make HER do it! Jeez!

Has it ever occurred to you that as a parent you should be focusssing on
far more than just your obsession with her diet ? Kids need other kinds of
nourishment to grow up mentally strong and healthy.

I suggested letting her do it, not making her. It's only a shelf but
it's part of her home. Most kids love being offered a "help me" request by
parents. It boosts their self esteem and security by enhancing their
feeling of "ownership" of their home and involvement with parents. Start
with small problem-solving challenges they can succeed at, and it teaches
them the self confidence to tackle bigger ones in adult life.

> I'm glad I'm not your kid!

That's mutual.

All my kids have grown up healthy, active, capable and independent
adults, well educated, well socialised, with a very wide range of skills
and the nous and confidence to learn more.

From everything you say about her (and yourself), you're turning your
daughter into a replica of yourself.

Janet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pennyaline" > wrote in message
> On 4/3/2012 8:35 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> "The > wrote in message
>> news
>>> On Mon, 2 Apr 2012 19:20:03 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> Diameter is the measurement around the outside of the circle.

>> Thank you. That would be pretty hard to measure seeing as how I can't
>> access all of it at once.

> Listen Julie, the diameter of a circle is its full width across--the
> length of a straight line running between two points that bisects the
> center and creates two equal 180 degree arcs. The distance around the
> outside of a circle is its circumference.

Julie is allergic to geometry.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 4, 5:19*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> Nancy2 wrote:
> > On Apr 3, 9:51 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> >> "sf" > wrote in message

> . ..

> >> I have not seen any of that around in years! I can't remember now
> >> where I was living when I did see it. Perhaps in CA? I do remember
> >> seeing it in rolls on big racks. We are going to Hobby Lobby
> >> tomorrow. I will look there. But I don't remember seeing any.
> >> Thanks. I was thinking of getting flannel backed table cloths but
> >> again that would result in a lot of waste.

> > There is self-stick clear plastic (and "frosted" style, too) available
> > in nearly every fabric store and also in home stores like Menard's,
> > Lowe's, etc. *Like sf said, just call around.

> I will look at Hobby Lobby.

They may have it, but I'd head for more of a true fabric shop.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:
> On Apr 4, 5:19 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> Nancy2 wrote:

>>> There is self-stick clear plastic (and "frosted" style, too)
>>> available in nearly every fabric store and also in home stores like
>>> Menard's, Lowe's, etc. Like sf said, just call around.

>> I will look at Hobby Lobby.

> They may have it, but I'd head for more of a true fabric shop.

They had it but it was super expensive so I will only use that as a last
resort.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

get butcher papaer or brown paper bags, peice together a pattern from that,
make sure it fits, then put pattern on real liner, cut and poof there you
are, Lees