Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I'm Looking For Some TNT Low-Calorie Recipes?

My youngest daughter has been on a diet since last summer, and is
carefully watching her carbs, fats, sugars, etc., and is doing extremely
well. My hubby and I have been very encouraging, and try to help her
out.

She is single and lives across the highway from us, so we often have her
here for supper, and am always looking for new appetizing ideas, mainly
for main dishes, but also side dishes, as well, such as potato and
veggie dishes. I have replaced turkey and chicken for beef and pork in
many of her favorite dishes, such as for sloppy joes, taco's, or
anything that calls for ground beef, with satsifying results.

Also if anyone has good TNT recipes for chocolate chip cookies, or
carrot cake, I'd be happy to have them, as those are her two favorite
desserts, besides cheesecake. I tried a new recipe for chocolate
cheesecake for her birthday, but I didn't think it was all that good.

Any ideas would be appreciated and helpful.

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Apr 1, 9:30*am, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
> My youngest daughter has been on a diet since last summer, and is
> carefully watching her carbs, fats, sugars, etc., and is doing extremely
> well. My hubby and I have been very encouraging, and try to help her
> out.
>
> She is single and lives across the highway from us, so we often have her
> here for supper, and am always looking for new appetizing ideas, mainly
> for main dishes, but also side dishes, as well, such as potato and
> veggie dishes. I have replaced turkey and chicken for beef and pork in
> many of her favorite dishes, such as for sloppy joes, taco's, or
> anything that calls for ground beef, with satsifying results.
>
> Also if anyone has *good TNT recipes for chocolate chip cookies, or
> carrot cake, I'd be happy to have them, as those are her two favorite
> desserts, besides cheesecake. I tried a new recipe for chocolate
> cheesecake for her birthday, but I didn't think it was all that good.
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated and helpful.
>
> Judy

You might want to look at some primal or paleo recipe sites. If she
is being careful or cutting out a lot of carbs and sugars, etc.,
you'll find some good recipes in those sites.

http://www.thefoodee.com/

http://www.primal-palate.com/p/recipes.html

http://www.food.com/cookbook/chez-gr...recipes-242092

I know this is a great dessert, I've made it.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/decad...#axzz1qoT4f0Jg
Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

If she is watching carbs, and that really really works with weight loss,
then potatoes, rice, and flour (pasta,bread) are the worst, more so than
fats.

Sugar is a carb also, but the amount of sugar in a single serving
portion varies widely depending on the recipe-pick and choose.

Steak is a great diet food-great flavor, doesn't need a sauce, very low
calories, very low carbs, and passes on out of the body quickly. Just
don't do the obligatory potatoes and garlic bread.

Serve a spinach salad with strawberries and pecans and cheese as a side.
Heck, serve a big cold steak spinach salad. Don't skimp on salad
dressing-don't sweat the small stuff.

Most people's carb overloads are from potatoes rice pasta bread.

Look for creative mushroom dishes for a side. Eggs of course. Nuts of
course. Cheese of course.

Serve a dessert-just make it smart and satisfying.

I take two baby aspirin a day-chewable cherry flavored-quite a strong
flavor actually. I always take them right after supper-my sweet tooth
doesn't\ know the difference :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

z z, thanks for the NEAT ideas for preparing foods that are satisfying
for my daughter, and help her to lose weight. She has done quite well,
though it is coming off a lot slower too, but that's good, and she's
also back working out in the gym, which is very beneficial to her too.

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

The muffin thread and this one prompted me to hit the kitchen. I made
these tonight as muffins but if I had added nuts it would have worked
well as choc chip cookies. I used tinfoil muffin liners and they came
out nicely browned with sculpted lines where the liners were crinkled.
They didnt rise much-lighter flours rise more.

1.5 cup flaxmeal and 1 cup almond meal.

Dark chocolate chips-don't skimp.

2 eggs, 1/2 c oil, 3/4 c cream, 1/2 c Splenda, vanilla.

1/8 tsp baking powder, 1/8 tsp baking soda.

I added about a shot glass worth of sugarfree dark cherry syrup. The
original recipe called for 6oz allfruit jelly (didnt have) almond breeze
instead of cream (didn't have) and 3/4 c splenda (I always use less.)

Each muffin has ~10 choc chips in it which is like little explosions of
sweet as you chew. I also stirred in sweetened dried cranberries-they
are a little too tart for my preference.

350 degree F for ~15-18 minutes or till top is starting to get brown
peaks.

The thing with flaxmeal is that initially your batter will look too thin
so you add more flaxmeal and then realize it is absorbing the liquid
faster than you can rectify your mistake.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 1, 2012 11:30:27 AM UTC-5, Judy Haffner wrote:

> My youngest daughter has been on a diet since last summer, and is
> carefully watching her carbs, fats, sugars, etc., and is doing extremely
> well.
>
> Also if anyone has good TNT recipes for chocolate chip cookies, or
> carrot cake, I'd be happy to have them, as those are her two favorite
> desserts, besides cheesecake. I tried a new recipe for chocolate
> cheesecake for her birthday, but I didn't think it was all that good.
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated and helpful.
>
> Judy

Quit sabotaging her diet with all the rich goodies and she should do quite well with exercise. If she truly wants to lose weight eating carrot and/or cheese cake along with chocolate chips is not going to do it for her.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

btw, i dont consider any recipe tnt-they can always be improved and each
person's taste is different. for example, my muffins i just made are too
oily-so next time I would use less oil. each time i try a recipe with
unusual products like flaxmeal, its a trial and error process that never
ends.

For two months i religiously followed low carb and lost 20lbs. i ate
cheesecake sweetened with splenda with a nut crust often. i had no
problem sticking to a certain number of calories per day once I
eliminated the main source of calories-potates rice and flour. My weight
dropped off, my blood glucose plunged, my cholesterol plunged, despite
my decadent ways...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

with all that cholesterol she might lose weight, but will have a stroke, Lee
"z z" > wrote in message
> If she is watching carbs, and that really really works with weight loss,
> then potatoes, rice, and flour (pasta,bread) are the worst, more so than
> fats.
>
> Sugar is a carb also, but the amount of sugar in a single serving
> portion varies widely depending on the recipe-pick and choose.
>
> Steak is a great diet food-great flavor, doesn't need a sauce, very low
> calories, very low carbs, and passes on out of the body quickly. Just
> don't do the obligatory potatoes and garlic bread.
>
> Serve a spinach salad with strawberries and pecans and cheese as a side.
> Heck, serve a big cold steak spinach salad. Don't skimp on salad
> dressing-don't sweat the small stuff.
>
> Most people's carb overloads are from potatoes rice pasta bread.
>
> Look for creative mushroom dishes for a side. Eggs of course. Nuts of
> course. Cheese of course.
>
> Serve a dessert-just make it smart and satisfying.
>
> I take two baby aspirin a day-chewable cherry flavored-quite a strong
> flavor actually. I always take them right after supper-my sweet tooth
> doesn't\ know the difference :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

my favorite snack for low calorie is to lightly toast a slice of thin ry
bread, then spread with fat free cottage cheese, thinner for snack thicker
for lunch... then top with crushed pineapple and a bit of cinnamon, whilst
you are preparing the bread turn on the broiler put it on a baking sheet and
broil until the cottage cheese is bubbly and pineapple is browned just a
bit, you can also eat this just cold for a quick breakfast, the key here is
pinapple with no sugar added, fat free cheese and the healthiest bread you
can find, Lee
"Judy Haffner" > wrote in message

> My youngest daughter has been on a diet since last summer, and is
> carefully watching her carbs, fats, sugars, etc., and is doing extremely
> well. My hubby and I have been very encouraging, and try to help her
> out.
>
> She is single and lives across the highway from us, so we often have her
> here for supper, and am always looking for new appetizing ideas, mainly
> for main dishes, but also side dishes, as well, such as potato and
> veggie dishes. I have replaced turkey and chicken for beef and pork in
> many of her favorite dishes, such as for sloppy joes, taco's, or
> anything that calls for ground beef, with satsifying results.
>
> Also if anyone has good TNT recipes for chocolate chip cookies, or
> carrot cake, I'd be happy to have them, as those are her two favorite
> desserts, besides cheesecake. I tried a new recipe for chocolate
> cheesecake for her birthday, but I didn't think it was all that good.
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated and helpful.
>
> Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> my favorite snack for low calorie is to lightly toast a slice of thin ry
> bread, then spread with fat free cottage cheese, thinner for snack thicker
> for lunch... then top with crushed pineapple and a bit of cinnamon,
> whilst you are preparing the bread turn on the broiler put it on a baking
> sheet and broil until the cottage cheese is bubbly and pineapple is
> browned just a bit, you can also eat this just cold for a quick breakfast,
> the key here is pinapple with no sugar added, fat free cheese and the
> healthiest bread you can find, Lee

When my parents were on Weight Watchers they used to make something similar
that they called a Danish. I think they used Roman Meal bread, then the
cottage cheese, a canned peach half and a little cinnamon.