Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Spinach

Spinach - a German recipe
This dish is sometimes garnished with slices of hard-boiled eggs.
My wife likes to eat this mixed with mashed potatoes and a nice
brown gravy.
You could also liven this up with a chopped onion (brown before
adding to the spinach), some minced garlic, 2 Tbsp red wine
vinegar, and/or 1/2 tsp nutmeg.
For more flavor, substitute beef broth for the water when cooking
the spinach.
For a different texture and flavor, put the just-washed spinach
through a blender. Saute it, the butter, some onion in the pan.
Add a little beef broth from time to time.

1 pound fresh spinach
water
1/2 Tbsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
2 Tbsp butter
4 strips bacon

Crisp and crumble the bacon.
If necessary, cut off the spinach roots.
Break the leaves apart and drop them in a pan of water.
Wash well, and then lift them into a second pan of water.
Wash again.
Continue until no sand appears in the bottom of the pan.
Lift from the water.
Drain.
Place in a pan of water, with just enough water to cover the
spinach.
Add the salt and pepper.
Cook until tender.
Drain the water.
Put the spinach through a grater or food processor.
Add melted butter.
Turn into a hot dish, sprinkle the bacon bits over the spinach,
and serve at once.

--
Mike
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 30/03/2012 5:59 PM, Mike Muth wrote:
> Spinach - a German recipe
> This dish is sometimes garnished with slices of hard-boiled eggs.
> My wife likes to eat this mixed with mashed potatoes and a nice
> brown gravy.
> You could also liven this up with a chopped onion (brown before
> adding to the spinach), some minced garlic, 2 Tbsp red wine
> vinegar, and/or 1/2 tsp nutmeg.
> For more flavor, substitute beef broth for the water when cooking
> the spinach.
> For a different texture and flavor, put the just-washed spinach
> through a blender. Saute it, the butter, some onion in the pan.
> Add a little beef broth from time to time.
>
> 1 pound fresh spinach
> water
> 1/2 Tbsp salt
> 1/8 tsp pepper
> 2 Tbsp butter
> 4 strips bacon
>
> Crisp and crumble the bacon.
> If necessary, cut off the spinach roots.
> Break the leaves apart and drop them in a pan of water.
> Wash well, and then lift them into a second pan of water.
> Wash again.
> Continue until no sand appears in the bottom of the pan.
> Lift from the water.
> Drain.
> Place in a pan of water, with just enough water to cover the
> spinach.
> Add the salt and pepper.
> Cook until tender.
> Drain the water.
> Put the spinach through a grater or food processor.
> Add melted butter.
> Turn into a hot dish, sprinkle the bacon bits over the spinach,
> and serve at once.

Sounds interesting. I hated spinach until I after I was married and had
it the way my wife cooks it.... which is hardly at all. Spinach develops
a nasty taste when cooked too long. She would heat up a small pot and
then rinse the leafs off a few times, shaking the water (and sand) off,
then run them under water one more time without shaking and then toss
the spinach into the hot pot and put the top off for one minute. Remove
it from the pan to prevent further cooking.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mike Muth wrote:

> Add a little beef broth from time to time.
>
> 1 pound fresh spinach
> water
> 1/2 Tbsp salt
> 1/8 tsp pepper
> 2 Tbsp butter
> 4 strips bacon

Where's the vinegar?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 30/03/2012 6:30 PM, George M. Middius wrote:
> Mike Muth wrote:
>
>> Add a little beef broth from time to time.
>>
>> 1 pound fresh spinach
>> water
>> 1/2 Tbsp salt
>> 1/8 tsp pepper
>> 2 Tbsp butter
>> 4 strips bacon

> Where's the vinegar?

I am not sure that is necessary. My wife makes a great spinach salad and
is often asked to bring it functions because people love it. It is uses
raw spinach, hard boiled eggs, bacon and her home made salad dressing.
(okay.. there is some vinegar in it.)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 30, 6:32*pm, Bull > wrote:
> In article >,
> *"Mike Muth" > wrote:
>

> > Spinach - a German recipe
> > This dish is sometimes garnished with slices of hard-boiled eggs.
> > My wife likes to eat this mixed with mashed potatoes and a nice
> > brown gravy.
> > You could also liven this up with a chopped onion (brown before
> > adding to the spinach), some minced garlic, 2 Tbsp red wine
> > vinegar, and/or 1/2 tsp nutmeg.
> > For more flavor, substitute beef broth for the water when cooking
> > the spinach.
> > For a different texture and flavor, put the just-washed spinach
> > through a blender. *Saute it, the butter, some onion in the pan.
> > Add a little beef broth from time to time.

> > 1 pound fresh spinach
> > water
> > 1/2 Tbsp salt
> > 1/8 tsp pepper
> > 2 Tbsp butter
> > 4 strips bacon

> > Crisp and crumble the bacon.
> > If necessary, cut off the spinach roots.
> > Break the leaves apart and drop them in a pan of water.
> > Wash well, and then lift them into a second pan of water.
> > Wash again.
> > Continue until no sand appears in the bottom of the pan.
> > Lift from the water.
> > Drain.
> > Place in a pan of water, with just enough water to cover the
> > spinach.
> > Add the salt and pepper.
> > Cook until tender.
> > Drain the water.
> > Put the spinach through a grater or food processor.
> > Add melted butter.
> > Turn into a hot dish, sprinkle the bacon bits over the spinach,
> > and serve at once.

> It's amazing how much grit fresh dirt spinach and other greens can hold.
> Usually takes a LOT of water to get it clean. *Simple enough and bacon
> makes everything better.
>
> BULL

The only spinach I ever liked, was when my Mum made it. Creamed
spinach, but with sour cream and herbs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 30, 3:45*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> On 30/03/2012 6:30 PM, George M. Middius wrote:
>
> > Mike Muth wrote:

> >> Add a little beef broth from time to time.

> >> 1 pound fresh spinach
> >> water
> >> 1/2 Tbsp salt
> >> 1/8 tsp pepper
> >> 2 Tbsp butter
> >> 4 strips bacon

> > Where's the vinegar?

> I am not sure that is necessary. My wife makes a great spinach salad and
> is often asked to bring it functions because people love it. *It is uses
> raw spinach, hard boiled eggs, bacon and her home made salad dressing.
> (okay.. there is some vinegar in it.)

I make my dressing with bacon grease & vinegar, but everything else
exactly the same.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> > Where's the vinegar?

> I am not sure that is necessary. My wife makes a great spinach salad and
> is often asked to bring it functions because people love it. It is uses
> raw spinach, hard boiled eggs, bacon and her home made salad dressing.
> (okay.. there is some vinegar in it.)

Next time, sprinkle a little extra vinegar on your serving and see how
you like it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
news

> Sounds interesting. I hated spinach until I after I was married and had it
> the way my wife cooks it.... which is hardly at all. Spinach develops a
> nasty taste when cooked too long. She would heat up a small pot and then
> rinse the leafs off a few times, shaking the water (and sand) off, then
> run them under water one more time without shaking and then toss the
> spinach into the hot pot and put the top off for one minute. Remove it
> from the pan to prevent further cooking.

I do something similar. Wash and trim the spinach leaves. Pat dry with
paper towels. Toss a few cloves of halved garlic into a skillet with a
little bit of olive oil. Medium high heat. Let the cloves lightly brown,
then add the spinach leaves. (They may still splatter so stand back.) Cook
until spinach is wilted and thoroughly hot.

This was a "hot spinach salad" served at the Macaroni Grill in Germantown,
TN. I'm not a fan of salads and don't eat raw vegetables. But this, I
loved. Which is why I figured out how to make it at home

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bull" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> George M. Middius > wrote:
>
>> Mike Muth wrote:
>>
>> > Add a little beef broth from time to time.
>> >
>> > 1 pound fresh spinach
>> > water
>> > 1/2 Tbsp salt
>> > 1/8 tsp pepper
>> > 2 Tbsp butter
>> > 4 strips bacon

>> Where's the vinegar?

> Add some. For some reason I don't usually add vinegar to spinach -
> greens - yes.
>
> BULL

There are soooo many different varieties of greens. Here in the southern US
most people immediately think of colllards and turnip greens or kale.
Cooking those, I would add vinegar. Add vinegar to spinach? Nope.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> There are soooo many different varieties of greens. Here in the southern US
> most people immediately think of colllards and turnip greens or kale.
> Cooking those, I would add vinegar. Add vinegar to spinach? Nope.

I hope Petey doesn't see this post.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 30, 8:34*pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:

> I do something similar. *Wash and trim the spinach leaves. *Pat dry with
> paper towels. *Toss a few cloves of halved garlic into a skillet with a
> little bit of olive oil. *Medium high heat. *Let the cloves lightly brown,
> then add the spinach leaves. (They may still splatter so stand back.) *Cook
> until spinach is wilted and thoroughly hot.
>
> This was a "hot spinach salad" served at the Macaroni Grill in Germantown,
> TN. *I'm not a fan of salads and don't eat raw vegetables. *But this, I
> loved. *Which is why I figured out how to make it at home

I haven't made this in a while, it's a family thing from when I
was a kid. My grandparents would heat up some olive oil in a pan and
toss in some chopped onion for a short time before adding a bunch of
spinach, stirring as it wilts, then add an amount (by sight) of #1
cracked wheat (the finest), or #2 is ok too. The wheat has been
soaking in cold water after being rinsed a few times. It blows up
without cooking, just a few minutes is enough. When the wheat is
added to the spinach it is first squeezed between the palms of your
hands to get the moisture out. This is a good dish - spinach, olive
oil, cracked wheat, onion optional, and a bit of salt. It is even
good cold.

TJ

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mike Muth wrote:
> Spinach - a German recipe
> This dish is sometimes garnished with slices of hard-boiled eggs.
> My wife likes to eat this mixed with mashed potatoes and a nice
> brown gravy.
> You could also liven this up with a chopped onion (brown before
> adding to the spinach), some minced garlic, 2 Tbsp red wine
> vinegar, and/or 1/2 tsp nutmeg.
> For more flavor, substitute beef broth for the water when cooking
> the spinach.
> For a different texture and flavor, put the just-washed spinach
> through a blender. Saute it, the butter, some onion in the pan.
> Add a little beef broth from time to time.
>
> 1 pound fresh spinach
> water
> 1/2 Tbsp salt
> 1/8 tsp pepper
> 2 Tbsp butter
> 4 strips bacon
>
> Crisp and crumble the bacon.
> If necessary, cut off the spinach roots.
> Break the leaves apart and drop them in a pan of water.
> Wash well, and then lift them into a second pan of water.
> Wash again.
> Continue until no sand appears in the bottom of the pan.
> Lift from the water.
> Drain.
> Place in a pan of water, with just enough water to cover the
> spinach.
> Add the salt and pepper.
> Cook until tender.
> Drain the water.
> Put the spinach through a grater or food processor.
> Add melted butter.
> Turn into a hot dish, sprinkle the bacon bits over the spinach,
> and serve at once.

Hint: you don't need to add water to the spinach. The water that
clings to the leaves is more than enough.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 20:24:02 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:

>Mike Muth wrote:
>> Spinach - a German recipe
>> This dish is sometimes garnished with slices of hard-boiled eggs.
>> My wife likes to eat this mixed with mashed potatoes and a nice
>> brown gravy.
>> You could also liven this up with a chopped onion (brown before
>> adding to the spinach), some minced garlic, 2 Tbsp red wine
>> vinegar, and/or 1/2 tsp nutmeg.
>> For more flavor, substitute beef broth for the water when cooking
>> the spinach.
>> For a different texture and flavor, put the just-washed spinach
>> through a blender. Saute it, the butter, some onion in the pan.
>> Add a little beef broth from time to time.
>>
>> 1 pound fresh spinach
>> water
>> 1/2 Tbsp salt
>> 1/8 tsp pepper
>> 2 Tbsp butter
>> 4 strips bacon
>>
>> Crisp and crumble the bacon.
>> If necessary, cut off the spinach roots.
>> Break the leaves apart and drop them in a pan of water.
>> Wash well, and then lift them into a second pan of water.
>> Wash again.
>> Continue until no sand appears in the bottom of the pan.
>> Lift from the water.
>> Drain.
>> Place in a pan of water, with just enough water to cover the
>> spinach.
>> Add the salt and pepper.
>> Cook until tender.
>> Drain the water.
>> Put the spinach through a grater or food processor.
>> Add melted butter.
>> Turn into a hot dish, sprinkle the bacon bits over the spinach,
>> and serve at once.
>>

>Hint: you don't need to add water to the spinach. The water that
>clings to the leaves is more than enough.

Pureeing makes that a disgusting spinach recipe and there is nothing
German about it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 31, 7:44*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 20:24:02 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:
> >Mike Muth wrote:
> >> Spinach - a German recipe
> >> This dish is sometimes garnished with slices of hard-boiled eggs.
> >> My wife likes to eat this mixed with mashed potatoes and a nice
> >> brown gravy.
> >> You could also liven this up with a chopped onion (brown before
> >> adding to the spinach), some minced garlic, 2 Tbsp red wine
> >> vinegar, and/or 1/2 tsp nutmeg.
> >> For more flavor, substitute beef broth for the water when cooking
> >> the spinach.
> >> For a different texture and flavor, put the just-washed spinach
> >> through a blender. *Saute it, the butter, some onion in the pan.
> >> Add a little beef broth from time to time.

> >> 1 pound fresh spinach
> >> water
> >> 1/2 Tbsp salt
> >> 1/8 tsp pepper
> >> 2 Tbsp butter
> >> 4 strips bacon

> >> Crisp and crumble the bacon.
> >> If necessary, cut off the spinach roots.
> >> Break the leaves apart and drop them in a pan of water.
> >> Wash well, and then lift them into a second pan of water.
> >> Wash again.
> >> Continue until no sand appears in the bottom of the pan.
> >> Lift from the water.
> >> Drain.
> >> Place in a pan of water, with just enough water to cover the
> >> spinach.
> >> Add the salt and pepper.
> >> Cook until tender.
> >> Drain the water.
> >> Put the spinach through a grater or food processor.
> >> Add melted butter.
> >> Turn into a hot dish, sprinkle the bacon bits over the spinach,
> >> and serve at once.

> >Hint: *you don't need to add water to the spinach. *The water that
> >clings to the leaves is more than enough.

> Pureeing makes that a disgusting spinach recipe and there is nothing
> German about it.

I can't imagine wanting to puree spinach either unless it was to feed
it to an infant.

--Bryan

Spinach and Ham Christopher M.[_3_] General Cooking 50 17-03-2012 06:23 PM
what to mix with spinach jw 1111 General Cooking 28 24-10-2005 04:22 PM
Spinach Pie Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 30-09-2005 12:36 PM
Tat soi and spinach James Silverton Asian Cooking 12 21-09-2005 09:01 AM