Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Salty celery

I know that celery is high in sodium but I never had salty tasting celery
until just now. I know someone else reported on this before. I think it
was Lee. I have had bitter tasting celery a few times. But this stuff
tastes like someone gave it a really good sprinkle of sea salt. I don't
mind it. I like salty things. I just find it to be interesting!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>I know that celery is high in sodium but I never had salty tasting celery
>until just now. I know someone else reported on this before. I think it
>was Lee. I have had bitter tasting celery a few times. But this stuff
>tastes like someone gave it a really good sprinkle of sea salt. I don't
>mind it. I like salty things. I just find it to be interesting!

It varies. I've had some very salty celery and some extremely sweet celery.
Just has to do with the weather when it was growing I think. Celery is kind
of salty to start with. I find I need less salt when I cook with it.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>I know that celery is high in sodium but I never had salty tasting celery
>>until just now. I know someone else reported on this before. I think it
>>was Lee. I have had bitter tasting celery a few times. But this stuff
>>tastes like someone gave it a really good sprinkle of sea salt. I don't
>>mind it. I like salty things. I just find it to be interesting!

> It varies. I've had some very salty celery and some extremely sweet
> celery. Just has to do with the weather when it was growing I think.
> Celery is kind of salty to start with. I find I need less salt when I
> cook with it.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 21:59:11 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>I know that celery is high in sodium but I never had salty tasting celery
>until just now. I know someone else reported on this before. I think it
>was Lee. I have had bitter tasting celery a few times. But this stuff
>tastes like someone gave it a really good sprinkle of sea salt. I don't
>mind it. I like salty things. I just find it to be interesting!

Yes, celery naturally has a high sodium content but that it tastes
extrordinarilly salty to you at times is because at times ones
sensitivity to the taste of salt changes due to changes in body
chemistry, depending on what you're been eating and/or medications you
take, and even how much water you drink. Ones emotional state alters
taste sensitivity too, as of course does aging. Taste is not static,
taste is dynamic. Peoples taste changes all the time. Also as celery
ages and loses water its salt content becomes more concentrated.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 28/03/2012 1:37 AM, Paul M. Cook wrote:
> "Julie > wrote in message
>> I know that celery is high in sodium but I never had salty tasting celery
>> until just now. I know someone else reported on this before. I think it
>> was Lee. I have had bitter tasting celery a few times. But this stuff
>> tastes like someone gave it a really good sprinkle of sea salt. I don't
>> mind it. I like salty things. I just find it to be interesting!

> It varies. I've had some very salty celery and some extremely sweet celery.
> Just has to do with the weather when it was growing I think. Celery is kind
> of salty to start with. I find I need less salt when I cook with it.

Celery is funny stuff. It is usually quite bland, but I have on occasion
found it to have much more flavour than usual. A bout a month ago I put
one stalk of celery into a pot of soup and it turned out to be too much
celery flavour.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 21:59:11 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>I know that celery is high in sodium but I never had salty tasting celery
>>until just now. I know someone else reported on this before. I think it
>>was Lee. I have had bitter tasting celery a few times. But this stuff
>>tastes like someone gave it a really good sprinkle of sea salt. I don't
>>mind it. I like salty things. I just find it to be interesting!

> Yes, celery naturally has a high sodium content but that it tastes
> extrordinarilly salty to you at times is because at times ones
> sensitivity to the taste of salt changes due to changes in body
> chemistry, depending on what you're been eating and/or medications you
> take, and even how much water you drink. Ones emotional state alters
> taste sensitivity too, as of course does aging. Taste is not static,
> taste is dynamic. Peoples taste changes all the time. Also as celery
> ages and loses water its salt content becomes more concentrated.

Hmmm... I just never noticed it to be salty before.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 28/03/2012 1:37 AM, Paul M. Cook wrote:
>> "Julie > wrote in message
>>> I know that celery is high in sodium but I never had salty tasting
>>> celery
>>> until just now. I know someone else reported on this before. I think
>>> it
>>> was Lee. I have had bitter tasting celery a few times. But this stuff
>>> tastes like someone gave it a really good sprinkle of sea salt. I don't
>>> mind it. I like salty things. I just find it to be interesting!

>> It varies. I've had some very salty celery and some extremely sweet
>> celery.
>> Just has to do with the weather when it was growing I think. Celery is
>> kind
>> of salty to start with. I find I need less salt when I cook with it.
>>

> Celery is funny stuff. It is usually quite bland, but I have on occasion
> found it to have much more flavour than usual. A bout a month ago I put
> one stalk of celery into a pot of soup and it turned out to be too much
> celery flavour.

I keep dried celery for soup and such if I don't have the real stuff in the
house. I only need to use a teensy bit of that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/28/2012 10:34 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Dave > wrote in message
>>>
>>> It varies. I've had some very salty celery and some extremely sweet
>>> celery.
>>> Just has to do with the weather when it was growing I think. Celery is
>>> kind
>>> of salty to start with. I find I need less salt when I cook with it.
>>>

>> Celery is funny stuff. It is usually quite bland, but I have on occasion
>> found it to have much more flavour than usual. A bout a month ago I put
>> one stalk of celery into a pot of soup and it turned out to be too much
>> celery flavour.

> I keep dried celery for soup and such if I don't have the real stuff in the
> house. I only need to use a teensy bit of that.

I've never noticed celery being particularly salty. Possibly, because I
usually use it cooked. I don't really like the standard green celery and
like it naturally blanched, which avoids the bitter chlorophyll taste
but I have to go to Amish farmers' markets to get it.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 07:34:57 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
m...

>>> It varies. I've had some very salty celery and some extremely sweet
>>> celery.
>>> Just has to do with the weather when it was growing I think. Celery is
>>> kind
>>> of salty to start with. I find I need less salt when I cook with it.
>>>

>> Celery is funny stuff. It is usually quite bland, but I have on occasion
>> found it to have much more flavour than usual. A bout a month ago I put
>> one stalk of celery into a pot of soup and it turned out to be too much
>> celery flavour.

>I keep dried celery for soup and such if I don't have the real stuff in the
>house. I only need to use a teensy bit of that.

Dehy celery works much better if you first rehydrate it in cold water
for like 20 minutes, then toss it in a pot of hot soup... the heat,
any acidity, and fat will prevent the flavoids in dehy vegetables from
fully releasing... this is especially noticable with dehy celery. I'm
a firm believer in keeping dehy veggies on hand, too many times I went
into the fridge only to find I ran out or the celery, bell pepper,
etc, has melted to mush.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 07:34:10 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 21:59:11 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>I know that celery is high in sodium but I never had salty tasting celery
>>>until just now. I know someone else reported on this before. I think it
>>>was Lee. I have had bitter tasting celery a few times. But this stuff
>>>tastes like someone gave it a really good sprinkle of sea salt. I don't
>>>mind it. I like salty things. I just find it to be interesting!

>> Yes, celery naturally has a high sodium content but that it tastes
>> extrordinarilly salty to you at times is because at times ones
>> sensitivity to the taste of salt changes due to changes in body
>> chemistry, depending on what you're been eating and/or medications you
>> take, and even how much water you drink. Ones emotional state alters
>> taste sensitivity too, as of course does aging. Taste is not static,
>> taste is dynamic. Peoples taste changes all the time. Also as celery
>> ages and loses water its salt content becomes more concentrated.

>Hmmm... I just never noticed it to be salty before.

Maybe your sensitivities were in a heightened state... could be your
meds, or you just perfomed oral sex.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 07:34:57 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
om...

>>> Celery is funny stuff. It is usually quite bland, but I have on occasion
>>> found it to have much more flavour than usual. A bout a month ago I put
>>> one stalk of celery into a pot of soup and it turned out to be too much
>>> celery flavour.

>>I keep dried celery for soup and such if I don't have the real stuff in
>>the
>>house. I only need to use a teensy bit of that.

> Dehy celery works much better if you first rehydrate it in cold water
> for like 20 minutes, then toss it in a pot of hot soup... the heat,
> any acidity, and fat will prevent the flavoids in dehy vegetables from
> fully releasing... this is especially noticable with dehy celery. I'm
> a firm believer in keeping dehy veggies on hand, too many times I went
> into the fridge only to find I ran out or the celery, bell pepper,
> etc, has melted to mush.

I also keep red bell peppers and onions. I tried carrots but they tend to
be chewy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> Celery is funny stuff. It is usually quite bland, but I have on occasion
> found it to have much more flavour than usual. A bout a month ago I put
> one stalk of celery into a pot of soup and it turned out to be too much
> celery flavour.

A stalk would be quite a lot of celery.
Perhaps you meant a rib.

I've never found much flavor for soup
in the ribs. It's mostly in the leaves.
Celery leaves are great in soup.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> Celery is funny stuff. It is usually quite bland, but I have on occasion
>> found it to have much more flavour than usual. A bout a month ago I put
>> one stalk of celery into a pot of soup and it turned out to be too much
>> celery flavour.

> A stalk would be quite a lot of celery.
> Perhaps you meant a rib.
>
> I've never found much flavor for soup
> in the ribs. It's mostly in the leaves.
> Celery leaves are great in soup.

I always get stalk and rib confused. And then there was that garlic thing.
I thought a clove of garlic was the whole bulb. The only reason I thought
this was that my husband REALLY likes garlic and would ask me to put one or
two whole ones into the dish.

I didn't realize my mistake until my SIL had to take over the Christmas
recipes one year when my MIL first became ill. She had me try a stuffed
pepper and then apologized and said that she didn't realize that a clove was
one little bit and not the whole bulb. I was like... Uh... Um... It..it
isn't? She thought I was joking. I wasn't. My mom never cooked with
garlic. I didn't know. And the only garlic I had seen my MIL use was the
powdered kind.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 07:34:57 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

>>> Celery is funny stuff. It is usually quite bland, but I have on occasion
>>> found it to have much more flavour than usual. A bout a month ago I put
>>> one stalk of celery into a pot of soup and it turned out to be too much
>>> celery flavour.

>> I keep dried celery for soup and such if I don't have the real stuff in the
>> house. I only need to use a teensy bit of that.

> Dehy celery works much better if you first rehydrate it in cold water
> for like 20 minutes, then toss it in a pot of hot soup... the heat,
> any acidity, and fat will prevent the flavoids in dehy vegetables from
> fully releasing... this is especially noticable with dehy celery. I'm
> a firm believer in keeping dehy veggies on hand, too many times I went
> into the fridge only to find I ran out or the celery, bell pepper,
> etc, has melted to mush.

I like 2-3 stalks in my chicken soup. I never tried celery seed in the
soup, but it's a necessity in BBQ sauce around here.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 00:42:09 +0000 (UTC), gregz >
wrote:

>Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>> On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 07:34:57 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>> I keep dried celery for soup and such if I don't have the real stuff in the
>>> house. I only need to use a teensy bit of that.

>> Dehy celery works much better if you first rehydrate it in cold water
>> for like 20 minutes, then toss it in a pot of hot soup... the heat,
>> any acidity, and fat will prevent the flavoids in dehy vegetables from
>> fully releasing... this is especially noticable with dehy celery. I'm
>> a firm believer in keeping dehy veggies on hand, too many times I went
>> into the fridge only to find I ran out or the celery, bell pepper,
>> etc, has melted to mush.

>I like 2-3 stalks in my chicken soup. I never tried celery seed in the
>soup, but it's a necessity in BBQ sauce around here.

Celery seed has a very different flavor from celery stalks. Celery
seed is what flavors celery salt. Dehydrated celery is simply dried
celery stalks, typically diced. Some people add celery seed to
chicken soup but I find it's too bitter, I prefer celery stalks with
the leaves.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 00:42:09 +0000 (UTC), gregz >
> wrote:
>
>> Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>>> On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 07:34:57 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> Dehy celery works much better if you first rehydrate it in cold water
>>> for like 20 minutes, then toss it in a pot of hot soup... the heat,
>>> any acidity, and fat will prevent the flavoids in dehy vegetables from
>>> fully releasing... this is especially noticable with dehy celery. I'm
>>> a firm believer in keeping dehy veggies on hand, too many times I went
>>> into the fridge only to find I ran out or the celery, bell pepper,
>>> etc, has melted to mush.

>> I like 2-3 stalks in my chicken soup. I never tried celery seed in the
>> soup, but it's a necessity in BBQ sauce around here.

> Celery seed has a very different flavor from celery stalks. Celery
> seed is what flavors celery salt. Dehydrated celery is simply dried
> celery stalks, typically diced. Some people add celery seed to
> chicken soup but I find it's too bitter, I prefer celery stalks with
> the leaves.

I try to use ones with leaves, and plenty of parsley.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gregz" > wrote in message
> Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>> On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 07:34:57 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>> I keep dried celery for soup and such if I don't have the real stuff in
>>> the
>>> house. I only need to use a teensy bit of that.

>> Dehy celery works much better if you first rehydrate it in cold water
>> for like 20 minutes, then toss it in a pot of hot soup... the heat,
>> any acidity, and fat will prevent the flavoids in dehy vegetables from
>> fully releasing... this is especially noticable with dehy celery. I'm
>> a firm believer in keeping dehy veggies on hand, too many times I went
>> into the fridge only to find I ran out or the celery, bell pepper,
>> etc, has melted to mush.

> I like 2-3 stalks in my chicken soup. I never tried celery seed in the
> soup, but it's a necessity in BBQ sauce around here.

My dad always put celery seed on his mac and cheese. That to me sounds
strange.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

>My dad always put celery seed on his mac and cheese. That to me sounds
>strange.

It's common. Not my fave though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

it is weird, its my "hungry" food, if it t tastes good i am hungry if it
doesn't taste good i probably just need a drink of water, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>I know that celery is high in sodium but I never had salty tasting celery
>until just now. I know someone else reported on this before. I think it
>was Lee. I have had bitter tasting celery a few times. But this stuff
>tastes like someone gave it a really good sprinkle of sea salt. I don't
>mind it. I like salty things. I just find it to be interesting!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 28, 6:49*am, Dave Smith > wrote:
> On 28/03/2012 1:37 AM, Paul M. Cook wrote:
>
> > "Julie > *wrote in message
> >> I know that celery is high in sodium but I never had salty tasting celery
> >> until just now. *I know someone else reported on this before. *I think it
> >> was Lee. *I have had bitter tasting celery a few times. *But this stuff
> >> tastes like someone gave it a really good sprinkle of sea salt. *I don't
> >> mind it. *I like salty things. *I just find it to be interesting!

> > It varies. *I've had some very salty celery and some extremely sweet celery.
> > Just has to do with the weather when it was growing I think. *Celery is kind
> > of salty to start with. *I find I need less salt when I cook with it.

> Celery is funny stuff. It is usually quite bland, but I have on occasion
> found it to have much more flavour than usual. A bout a month ago I put
> one stalk of celery into a pot of soup and it turned out to be too much
> celery flavour.

Before chopping, I always try a bite to see if it's bitter, or tired,
or otherwise unpleasant.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 28, 7:53*am, James Silverton > wrote:
> On 3/28/2012 10:34 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>

> > "Dave > *wrote in message
> m...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Wednesday, March 28, 2012 at 12:59:11 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I know that celery is high in sodium but I never had salty tasting celery
>> until just now. I know someone else reported on this before. I think it
>> was Lee. I have had bitter tasting celery a few times. But this stuff
>> tastes like someone gave it a really good sprinkle of sea salt. I don't
>> mind it. I like salty things. I just find it to be interesting!

> I also just now bought some celery that tastes extremely salty! That's
> why I googled it. I have never had salty celery before. Do you think
> they soak it in salt water maybe as a preservative??

---

No.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 15, 2019 at 2:58:18 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:

> > wrote in message
>
> > On Wednesday, March 28, 2012 at 12:59:11 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:

> >> I know that celery is high in sodium but I never had salty tasting celery
> >> until just now. I know someone else reported on this before. I think it
> >> was Lee. I have had bitter tasting celery a few times. But this stuff
> >> tastes like someone gave it a really good sprinkle of sea salt. I don't
> >> mind it. I like salty things. I just find it to be interesting!

> > I also just now bought some celery that tastes extremely salty! That's
> > why I googled it. I have never had salty celery before. Do you think
> > they soak it in salt water maybe as a preservative??

> No.

Two dunces.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> > wrote in message
> > On Wednesday, March 28, 2012 at 12:59:11 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
> > > I know that celery is high in sodium but I never had salty
> > > tasting celery until just now. I know someone else reported on
> > > this before. I think it was Lee. I have had bitter tasting
> > > celery a few times. But this stuff tastes like someone gave it a
> > > really good sprinkle of sea salt. I don't mind it. I like salty
> > > things. I just find it to be interesting!

> > I also just now bought some celery that tastes extremely salty!
> > That's why I googled it. I have never had salty celery before.
> > Do you think they soak it in salt water maybe as a preservative??

> ---
>
> No.

Hey Julie, thats a 2012 post of yours. Someone new jumped in ;-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/16/2019 7:39 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> LOL joan!Â* I believe we ascertained back in 2012 when Julie first posted
> this, most RFC'rs had never encountered "salty celery".

old posts aside, celery salt has a long and illustrious career.

It's been a staple on "Chi-dogs" (Chicago-style hot dogs) fer yrs.
Emeril's "BAM" is heavy on celery salt (like most Cajun cuisine). I use
it all the time when I forget to buy real celery.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, February 16, 2019 at 2:27:31 PM UTC-6, notbob wrote:

> celery salt has a long and illustrious career.
>
> It's been a staple on "Chi-dogs" (Chicago-style hot dogs) fer yrs.
> Emeril's "BAM" is heavy on celery salt (like most Cajun cuisine). I use
> it all the time when I forget to buy real celery.
>
> nb

I don't believe I have any celery salt in my stash of spices and herbs but I
have and frequently use celery seed. Along with celery in tuna salad so is
a generous bit of the seed and great in Thanksgiving dressing as well.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 12:51:10 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Saturday, February 16, 2019 at 2:27:31 PM UTC-6, notbob wrote:
>>
>> celery salt has a long and illustrious career.
>>
>> It's been a staple on "Chi-dogs" (Chicago-style hot dogs) fer yrs.
>> Emeril's "BAM" is heavy on celery salt (like most Cajun cuisine). I use
>> it all the time when I forget to buy real celery.
>>
>> nb
>>

>I don't believe I have any celery salt in my stash of spices and herbs but I
>have and frequently use celery seed. Along with celery in tuna salad so is
>a generous bit of the seed and great in Thanksgiving dressing as well.

Celery salt is ground celery seed plus fine salt... very good on roast
beef. Pensys is the best celery salt I've tried, it's mostly ground
celery seed. It's very good on steak but use sparingly, ground celery
seed is potent.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, February 16, 2019 at 3:05:47 PM UTC-6, Sheldon wrote:

> Celery salt is ground celery seed plus fine salt... very good on roast
> beef. Pensys is the best celery salt I've tried, it's mostly ground
> celery seed. It's very good on steak but use sparingly, ground celery
> seed is potent.

My only complaint with any of the salted spices and herbs is there is more salt
than anything else. If salt is listed as the first ingredient then there is
more of that than anything else.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Feb 2019 12:58:09 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:

> > wrote in message
>> On Wednesday, March 28, 2012 at 12:59:11 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> I know that celery is high in sodium but I never had salty tasting celery
>>> until just now. I know someone else reported on this before. I think it
>>> was Lee. I have had bitter tasting celery a few times. But this stuff
>>> tastes like someone gave it a really good sprinkle of sea salt. I don't
>>> mind it. I like salty things. I just find it to be interesting!

>> I also just now bought some celery that tastes extremely salty! That's
>> why I googled it. I have never had salty celery before. Do you think
>> they soak it in salt water maybe as a preservative??

> ---
>
> No.

Somebody finally answers you post after 7 years and that's all you
can say, is "No"?

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 Thomas wrote:

>Celery seed is not from celery btw.

Of course celery seed is from celery, from a variatal called Smallage;
https://draxe.com/celery-seed/
Smallage is a wild type of celery:
https://www.cooksinfo.com/smallage

Posted to rec.food.cooking

That's why I'm googling it. Before u throw it out. I never tasted salty celery in all my 55 yrs.