Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Strong egg taste in cheese cake

Hello everyone,

I have tried to make three cheese cakes in electirc oven. The problem
is that there is very strong egg taste in the edge of the cake, while
there does not exist the taste in the middle of the cake. I used water
bath and some cornstrach.

Thank you in advance,
Xu

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 21, 3:10*am, Wang Xu > wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have tried to make three cheese cakes in electirc oven. The problem
> is *that there is very strong egg taste in the edge of the cake, while
> there does not exist the taste in the middle of the cake. I used water
> bath and some cornstrach.
>
> Thank you in advance,
> Xu

Are you mixing your batter really well?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 11:10:29 +0100, Wang Xu > wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I have tried to make three cheese cakes in electirc oven. The problem
> is that there is very strong egg taste in the edge of the cake, while
> there does not exist the taste in the middle of the cake. I used water
> bath and some cornstrach.
>
> Thank you in advance,
> Xu

Assuming you mixed the filling well, I usually have some other
flavoring in cheesecake, like vanilla and/or lemon. Post your recipe
here. We'll critique it and you can troubleshoot based on feedback.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 21, 6:10*am, Wang Xu > wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have tried to make three cheese cakes in electirc oven. The problem
> is *that there is very strong egg taste in the edge of the cake, while
> there does not exist the taste in the middle of the cake. I used water
> bath and some cornstrach.
>
> Thank you in advance,
> Xu

It's odd that the edges would taste eggy but the center doesn't. Did
you chill the cheesecake thoroughly and completely before tasting it?
I know from experience that some egg based desserts have an eggy taste
to them that lingers until the item has had a chance to completely
cool off. If I make a chess pie I won't eat it until the next day
because to me it tastes too eggy that first day. The next day,
however, you can't taste the egg. The same thing holds true when I
make an angel food cake.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 09:26:34 -0500 in rec.food.cooking, Sqwertz
> wrote,
>If your water bath is creating a lot of steam, sometimes the minerals
>in your water can react with compounds in the eggs and make them taste
>more eggy/sulphury.

That steam is essentially distilled water. If it has minerals
to react with, it must have been nearly mud to begin with.

Senior Member

Location: New York

It might be that you may be using many eggs. Or, sometimes a water bath can create some steam that can react with eggs and make it taste more like eggs.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thank you for your answers and sorry for my late replay.

The following is my recipe:

250g cream cheese,
2 eggs (about 70g per egg),
90g sugar,
15g cron starch,
120g cream,
2tb lemon juice

The base is made of digestive biscuits and butter.

I think probably the reason is my metal model. It is a cheap one, so
probably the cake reacted with it and made itself became very eggy.

From your answers, I think maybe I made two mistakes in water bath:
First one is both water bath and corn starch are used. In a webpage
called "simple secrets to prefect cheesecake" ( http://goo.gl/je5uS ),
it is said "If your cheesecake batter has starch in the recipe (flour
or cornstarch), you do not need a water bath".

Second one is the fan in the oven was not used, while water bath is
used. I noticed there was a lot of steam in the oven. However, one fact
is strange. If the taste is caused by the steam, why only the edge of
the cake tastes eggy and the center is good?

Thank you again.
Xu

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-03-28 15:05:47 +0000, Wang Xu said:

> Thank you for your answers and sorry for my late replay.
>
> The following is my recipe:
>
> 250g cream cheese,
> 2 eggs (about 70g per egg),
> 90g sugar,
> 15g cron starch,
> 120g cream,
> 2tb lemon juice
>
> The base is made of digestive biscuits and butter.
>
> I think probably the reason is my metal model. It is a cheap one, so
> probably the cake reacted with it and made itself became very eggy.
>
> From your answers, I think maybe I made two mistakes in water bath:
> First one is both water bath and corn starch are used. In a webpage
> called "simple secrets to prefect cheesecake" ( http://goo.gl/je5uS ),
> it is said "If your cheesecake batter has starch in the recipe (flour
> or cornstarch), you do not need a water bath".
>
> Second one is the fan in the oven was not used, while water bath is
> used. I noticed there was a lot of steam in the oven. However, one fact
> is strange. If the taste is caused by the steam, why only the edge of
> the cake tastes eggy and the center is good?
>
> Thank you again.
> Xu

The lemon juice is 2 tablespoons, not 2teaspoon.

Xu

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 17:53:36 +0200, Wang Xu > wrote:

> On 2012-03-28 15:05:47 +0000, Wang Xu said:
>
> > Thank you for your answers and sorry for my late replay.
> >
> > The following is my recipe:
> >
> > 250g cream cheese,
> > 2 eggs (about 70g per egg),
> > 90g sugar,
> > 15g cron starch,
> > 120g cream,
> > 2tb lemon juice
> >
> > The base is made of digestive biscuits and butter.
> >
> > I think probably the reason is my metal model. It is a cheap one, so
> > probably the cake reacted with it and made itself became very eggy.

Try bringing your crust up the sides and see what happens. Prebake
the crust a few minutes before you put the filling in to prevent
sogginess. A water bath only needs to come halfway up the side of
whatever it is you're baking.

> > From your answers, I think maybe I made two mistakes in water bath:
> > First one is both water bath and corn starch are used. In a webpage
> > called "simple secrets to prefect cheesecake" ( http://goo.gl/je5uS ),
> > it is said "If your cheesecake batter has starch in the recipe (flour
> > or cornstarch), you do not need a water bath".
> >
> > Second one is the fan in the oven was not used, while water bath is
> > used. I noticed there was a lot of steam in the oven. However, one fact
> > is strange. If the taste is caused by the steam, why only the edge of
> > the cake tastes eggy and the center is good?
> >
> > Thank you again.
> > Xu

> The lemon juice is 2 tablespoons, not 2teaspoon.

It looks like a standard cheesecake recipe to me. Try protecting your
cheesecake from the metal by bringing the crust up the sides.

As you have read, you can bake cheesecake without a water bath. I
never bother with that (and I don't bother with a starch either), even
when baking it in a springform pan. Take your cheesecake out when the
middle jiggles like jello and the sides are slightly puffed. Finish
it off with a layer of sour cream (requires 10 minutes more in the
oven) or maybe some lemon curd, cool and refrigerate overnight. The
resulting cheesecake is creamy and moist, not mealy and dry the way a
lot of cheesecakes are.
http://www.dianasdesserts.com/index....heesecakes.cfm

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-03-28 15:05:47 +0000, Wang Xu said:

> Thank you for your answers and sorry for my late replay.
>
> The following is my recipe:
>
> 250g cream cheese,
> 2 eggs (about 70g per egg),
> 90g sugar,
> 15g cron starch,
> 120g cream,
> 2tb lemon juice
>
> The base is made of digestive biscuits and butter.
>
> I think probably the reason is my metal model. It is a cheap one, so
> probably the cake reacted with it and made itself became very eggy.
>
> From your answers, I think maybe I made two mistakes in water bath:
> First one is both water bath and corn starch are used. In a webpage
> called "simple secrets to prefect cheesecake" ( http://goo.gl/je5uS ),
> it is said "If your cheesecake batter has starch in the recipe (flour
> or cornstarch), you do not need a water bath".
>
> Second one is the fan in the oven was not used, while water bath is
> used. I noticed there was a lot of steam in the oven. However, one fact
> is strange. If the taste is caused by the steam, why only the edge of
> the cake tastes eggy and the center is good?
>
> Thank you again.
> Xu

The lemon juice is 2 tablespoon, not teaspoon. The recipe is

250g cream cheese,
2 eggs (about 70g per egg),
90g sugar,
15g cron starch,
120g cream,
2tb lemon juice

Xu

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wang Xu wrote:
> On 2012-03-28 15:05:47 +0000, Wang Xu said:
>
>> Thank you for your answers and sorry for my late replay.
>>
>> The following is my recipe:
>>
>> 250g cream cheese,
>> 2 eggs (about 70g per egg),
>> 90g sugar,
>> 15g cron starch,
>> 120g cream,
>> 2tb lemon juice
>>
>> The base is made of digestive biscuits and butter.

Hmmm....digestive biscuits, nice eggy and buttery and eggy
tasting digestive biscuits.

Why don't you try your recipe with either graham crackers
or ginger snaps for the base. See what happens.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-03-28 20:28:22 +0000, pavane said:

> Wang Xu wrote:
>> On 2012-03-28 15:05:47 +0000, Wang Xu said:
>>
>>> Thank you for your answers and sorry for my late replay.
>>>
>>> The following is my recipe:
>>>
>>> 250g cream cheese,
>>> 2 eggs (about 70g per egg),
>>> 90g sugar,
>>> 15g cron starch,
>>> 120g cream,
>>> 2tb lemon juice
>>>
>>> The base is made of digestive biscuits and butter.

> Hmmm....digestive biscuits, nice eggy and buttery and eggy
> tasting digestive biscuits.
>
> Why don't you try your recipe with either graham crackers
> or ginger snaps for the base. See what happens.
>
> pavane

I think the base is not the reason, becaues the base is not eggy tasted
and the top which next to the base is not eggy tasted neither.

Next time, I want to try to let the ``base'' surround the top, which is
similar to the photo in http://goo.gl/DdRqj .

Xu

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hello,

We made a high base to surround the top and there is no egg taste
(http://goo.gl/0kE6q).

Thank you for your help. We are going to prepare more cakes.
Xu

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 6 Apr 2012 11:24:42 +0200, Wang Xu > wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We made a high base to surround the top and there is no egg taste
> (http://goo.gl/0kE6q).
>
> Thank you for your help. We are going to prepare more cakes.
> Xu

Aha, you brought the crust up higher - good for you! I probably would
have said I wasn't destined to make cheesecake and quit. Now you can
experiment with how thick/thin to make the crust. One of my favorite
cheese cakes (bakery bought, can't replicate it at home) uses just a
sprinkling of crumbs.