Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Curry?

Janet wrote:
> Curry powder is to curry, as a bouillon cube is to stock. It's an instant
> "convenience" short cut. The real thing is far more subtle and variable.
> India used to be part of the British Empire; many colonialists acquired
> a taste for curries which they brought back home to Britain. Ready-mix
> curry powders came with them for their home cooks to use. But it's not,
> what people in India use.
>
> Indian cooks don't use a single curry powder; every housewife and cook
> has a masala collection of different spices/seeds etc and grinds and
> prepares different combinations for different tastes according to what
> she's cooking.Just like any other huge continent, Indian cookery varies
> hugely by region and culture so depending which region the cook comes
> from, curry dishes might be very mild and delicate or fiercely hot.
>
> If you want to make a start on cooking real curry, I recommend getting
> yourself a basic masala set like this.
>
> http://www.ppk.me.uk/bina/dabba.htm
>
> Janet

Oh, I covet at least one of those. When I and if I have some
extra pesos, I have a source right down the street.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

(z z) wrote:

>>> from a
>>>
>>> My local (STL) supermarket has 9 different powders labelled curry; the
>>> colors range from yellow to redish brown and three different "heat"
>>> levels.
>>> We also have an international grocer nearby, it has even more curry
>>> "powders"; three varieties (Madras, Medium and Hot) of Rajah brand in
>>> just
>>> the England aisle.

>> Curry powder is to curry, as a bouillon cube is to stock. It's an instant
>> "convenience" short cut. The real thing is far more subtle and variable.
>> India used to be part of the British Empire; many colonialists acquired
>> a taste for curries which they brought back home to Britain. Ready-mix
>> curry powders came with them for their home cooks to use. But it's not,
>> what people in India use.
>>
>> Indian cooks don't use a single curry powder; every housewife and cook
>> has a masala collection of different spices/seeds etc and grinds and
>> prepares different combinations for different tastes according to what
>> she's cooking.Just like any other huge continent, Indian cookery varies
>> hugely by region and culture so depending which region the cook comes
>> from, curry dishes might be very mild and delicate or fiercely hot.
>>
>> If you want to make a start on cooking real curry, I recommend getting
>> yourself a basic masala set like this.

http://www.ppk.me.uk/bina/dabba.htm

>> Janet
>>

> That's a nifty spice storage gadget, for sure! But what do you do when
> the spices run out? I guess I'd have to order online from
> spicehouse.com or penzey's. I know my local supermarket doesn't carry
> garam masala, funugreek or cinnamon sticks. I'm not even sure they
> carry ground coriander. As much as I love Publix supermarket, they have
> a rather limited spice section.
>
> Do you know if the Bina site ships to the US? I sent them an email to
> inquire, but I only see mention on the site about additional postage if
> outside the UK but in EU. I ask because my oldest brother has a
> birthday coming up. He loves to cook and loves different types of
> curries. I think this would make a very nice gift!
>
> Jill

Here, the little containers are empty when you buy the set. You
buy the spices yourself.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jill wrote:

> I know my local supermarket doesn't carry garam masala, funugreek or cinnamon sticks. I'm not even sure they carry ground coriander. As much as I love Publix supermarket, they have a rather limited spice section.

I used to work at a Publix. They may not carry fenugreek, and it's a
fifty-fifty shot on whether they carry garam masala, but I *know* they
carry both ground coriander and cinnamon sticks. You're just too lazy to
look for them.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > wrote in message
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> "Janet" > wrote in message
>>> If you want to make a start on cooking real curry, I recommend getting
>>> yourself a basic masala set like this.
>>>
>>> http://www.ppk.me.uk/bina/dabba.htm
>>>
>>> Janet
>>>

>> That's a nifty spice storage gadget, for sure! But what do you do when
>> the spices run out? I guess I'd have to order online from spicehouse.com
>> or penzey's. I know my local supermarket doesn't carry garam masala,
>> funugreek or cinnamon sticks. I'm not even sure they carry ground
>> coriander. As much as I love Publix supermarket, they have a rather
>> limited spice section.
>>
>> Do you know if the Bina site ships to the US? I sent them an email to
>> inquire, but I only see mention on the site about additional postage if
>> outside the UK but in EU. I ask because my oldest brother has a birthday
>> coming up. He loves to cook and loves different types of curries. I
>> think this would make a very nice gift!
>>
>> Jill

> Here, the little containers are empty when you buy the set. You buy the
> spices yourself.
>
> --
> Jean B.

Still doesn't tell me where to get the spices. There are no Indian (or
Asian) shops around here. My local Publix (or Food Lion, which is a sort of
shabby store) doesn't have an extensive spice selection. I guess I'd have
to order the spices online. I don't think about curry enough to care. I
just thought it might be a nice birthday gift.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-03-23, jmcquown > wrote:

> Still doesn't tell me where to get the spices. There are no Indian (or
> Asian) shops around here. My local Publix (or Food Lion, which is a sort of
> shabby store) doesn't have an extensive spice selection. I guess I'd have
> to order the spices online. I don't think about curry enough to care. I
> just thought it might be a nice birthday gift.

Call some health food stores, if you have any locally. In our one
stoplight town, we have one store. In our 3 stoplight town, we have 3
stores. Must be some sorta correlation, there.

Two of those four stores carry a huge selection of bulk spices, both
whole and ground. I haven't even asked the other two stores. My
recent Moroccan spice blend was all spices I bought at the closest
health food store (1 stoplight), typically at less than $1 per oz.
That's a price so cheap I can afford to discard the pre-ground spices
after 6 mos, which I seldom buy. Better to buy whole and grind
myself.

nb

--
Fight internet CENSORSHIP - Fight SOPA-PIPA
Contact your congressman and/or representative, now!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 11:20:55 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

> Still doesn't tell me where to get the spices. There are no Indian (or
> Asian) shops around here. My local Publix (or Food Lion, which is a sort of
> shabby store) doesn't have an extensive spice selection. I guess I'd have
> to order the spices online. I don't think about curry enough to care. I
> just thought it might be a nice birthday gift.

You can make curry without going all exotic or ordering online, but as
far as giving the tin as a gift - think outside the box. It's good
for other things. A crafter would probably love it. It would also be
good in the kitchen tool drawer because it could store picture
hangers, push pins, nails etc etc.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Still doesn't tell me where to get the spices. There are no Indian (or
>Asian) shops around here. My local Publix (or Food Lion, which is a sort of
>shabby store) doesn't have an extensive spice selection. I guess I'd have
>to order the spices online. I don't think about curry enough to care. I
>just thought it might be a nice birthday gift.

Penzeys Maharahja Curry Powder. I'm not a fan of Indian cookery,
maybe because every time I tried one of NYC's pricey Indian restos I
found their entrees to be grease laden smelly slop. So I make my own
versions using Penzeys Maharaja Curry Powder, it's a bit pricy but a
very little goes a long way, usually with chicken or pork stew, I hate
lamb... I like to use it to flavor rice pilafs, even rice and black
beans... a 1/2 tsp to a cup of rice is very flavorful.
http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...maharajah.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 22, 3:35*pm, (Victor Sack) wrote:
> Dan Abel > wrote:
> > The name "curry" means "soup or sauce" in India.

> I think Indians would have a problem with this simplification.
>
> A repost:
> There is really no such thing as "Indian curry", except perhaps in the
> quaint western notion of a highly-spiced stew-type dish vaguely "Indian"
> in concept and execution. *There is no such notion in India, at least
> not any that would be commonly accepted.

This is also a quaint eastern notion, because the word curry (actualy
kari) to indicate a highly spiced stew type dish has entered the
lexikon in Indonesia, Malaysia, Vietnam, etc. Further, each of these
countries was colonized by a different European power, making it less
likely that the word curry came from a British misunderstanding. In
the case of Malaysia, the presence of Indian Muslims as well as the
descendents of Tamil rubber-tappers make it seem likely that they
brought the word kari as well as the various highly spiced stews we
know by that name.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 11:20:55 -0400, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
>> Still doesn't tell me where to get the spices. There are no Indian (or
>> Asian) shops around here. My local Publix (or Food Lion, which is a sort
>> of
>> shabby store) doesn't have an extensive spice selection. I guess I'd
>> have
>> to order the spices online. I don't think about curry enough to care. I
>> just thought it might be a nice birthday gift.

> You can make curry without going all exotic or ordering online, but as
> far as giving the tin as a gift - think outside the box. It's good
> for other things. A crafter would probably love it. It would also be
> good in the kitchen tool drawer because it could store picture
> hangers, push pins, nails etc etc.
>
> --

LOL That tin would take up the entire kitchen tool drawer. The entire
point is to give him something interesting which includes spices he could
use to make Indian-style curry. He likes curry. Of course the tins can be
used for other things once they're empty. I don't want to give him empty
tins.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2012-03-23, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> Still doesn't tell me where to get the spices. There are no Indian (or
>> Asian) shops around here. My local Publix (or Food Lion, which is a sort
>> of
>> shabby store) doesn't have an extensive spice selection. I guess I'd
>> have
>> to order the spices online. I don't think about curry enough to care. I
>> just thought it might be a nice birthday gift.

> Call some health food stores, if you have any locally. In our one
> stoplight town, we have one store. In our 3 stoplight town, we have 3
> stores. Must be some sorta correlation, there.

Lucky you! Doing a google search (not counting stoplights!) found *one*
place listed as a health food store. That's a GNC. I remember GNC from
malls in the 1970's. I can't say I was particularly impressed then, nor am
I likely to be now.

> Two of those four stores carry a huge selection of bulk spices, both
> whole and ground.

Again with the bulk bins! I've never seen bulk anything at the grocery
stores. I guess I'm just not lucky enough to live where they have such
things

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-03-24, jmcquown > wrote:

> Lucky you! Doing a google search (not counting stoplights!) found *one*
> place listed as a health food store. That's a GNC. I remember GNC from
> malls in the 1970's. I can't say I was particularly impressed then, nor am
> I likely to be now.

Ugh! I know of whom you speak. Pill pushers. They shoulda been
named Pill Barn. Not a true health food store. Most real health food
stores, while also pushing pills, will usually have other food goods.
Our local one has bulk foods (which some are pretty bad), a cold case
with elk meat, miso, organic cheeses, etc and a produce section with
organic fresh produce, including fresh whole daikon. I recently
bought some organic homemade candied ginger that is to die for.

> Again with the bulk bins! I've never seen bulk anything at the grocery
> stores. I guess I'm just not lucky enough to live where they have such
> things

The well known Whole Foods has huge bulk bins. Gotta watch bulk
foods. Large corporations have taken over that racket and some of the
stuff is atrocious. I can't get No.1 grade bulgar, but I can get bulk
tabouli mix, which even looks too horrible to try. Also, bulk foods
have the possibility of harboring insects. I got a total infestation
of those meal weevils from some bulk something I once bought.
Grrr.... Even ground spices ended up getting tossed.

nb

--
Fight internet CENSORSHIP - Fight SOPA-PIPA
Contact your congressman and/or representative, now!
http://projects.propublica.org/sopa/
vi --the heart of evil!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 09:22:24 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 11:20:55 -0400, "jmcquown" >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Still doesn't tell me where to get the spices. There are no Indian (or
> >> Asian) shops around here. My local Publix (or Food Lion, which is a sort
> >> of
> >> shabby store) doesn't have an extensive spice selection. I guess I'd
> >> have
> >> to order the spices online. I don't think about curry enough to care. I
> >> just thought it might be a nice birthday gift.

> > You can make curry without going all exotic or ordering online, but as
> > far as giving the tin as a gift - think outside the box. It's good
> > for other things. A crafter would probably love it. It would also be
> > good in the kitchen tool drawer because it could store picture
> > hangers, push pins, nails etc etc.
> >
> > --

> LOL That tin would take up the entire kitchen tool drawer. The entire
> point is to give him something interesting which includes spices he could
> use to make Indian-style curry. He likes curry. Of course the tins can be
> used for other things once they're empty. I don't want to give him empty
> tins.

I guess you're stuck either going to a big city to shop for spices or
buying them online.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 09:33:49 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

> "notbob" > wrote in message
> > On 2012-03-23, jmcquown > wrote:
> >
> >> Still doesn't tell me where to get the spices.

<snip>

> > Two of those four stores carry a huge selection of bulk spices, both
> > whole and ground.

> Again with the bulk bins! I've never seen bulk anything at the grocery
> stores. I guess I'm just not lucky enough to live where they have such
> things

Bulk bins, especially for spices, aren't common around here either.
Safeway has pasta, chocolate chips, cereals etc in bulk... but no
spices. If I want bulk spices of the North African/Middle Eastern
variety, I go to one particular store that isn't even ethnic. It's
the same one that is looking for fiori di sicilio to stock.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 09:22:24 -0400, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message

>> > You can make curry without going all exotic or ordering online, but as
>> > far as giving the tin as a gift - think outside the box. It's good
>> > for other things. A crafter would probably love it. It would also be
>> > good in the kitchen tool drawer because it could store picture
>> > hangers, push pins, nails etc etc.
>> >
>> > --

>> LOL That tin would take up the entire kitchen tool drawer. The entire
>> point is to give him something interesting which includes spices he could
>> use to make Indian-style curry. He likes curry. Of course the tins can
>> be
>> used for other things once they're empty. I don't want to give him empty
>> tins.
>>

> I guess you're stuck either going to a big city to shop for spices or
> buying them online.

Suppose so! Of course it's not up to me to refill the tins. I just don't
want to send him empty tins.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 10:08:20 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

> I just don't want to send him empty tins.

Don't forget to label them!

I saw a cute idea the other day that's good for people who have
several of the same nicely shaped bottle that they want to keep and
recycle.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Repu...ss-Spice-Jars/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 24, 6:58*am, sf > wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 09:33:49 -0400, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:

> <snip>
>
> > > Two of those four stores carry a huge selection of bulk spices, both
> > > whole and ground.

> > Again with the bulk bins! *I've never seen bulk anything at the grocery
> > stores. *I guess I'm just not lucky enough to live where they have such
> > things

> Bulk bins, especially for spices, aren't common around here either.
> Safeway has pasta, chocolate chips, cereals etc in bulk... but no
> spices. *If I want bulk spices of the North African/Middle Eastern
> variety, I go to one particular store that isn't even ethnic. *It's
> the same one that is looking for fiori di sicilio to stock.

At least once a year, as part of a planned trip to SF, we stop at
Rainbow Grocery to replenish our herb and spice supply. They have an
extensive assortment, and carry things like poultry seasoning even
though they're a meatless store.

We used to go once a year to Rafal Spice Company in Detroit's Eastern
Market, but the owner (son of the founders) apparently got depressed
after his partner died, his stock dwindled, he would neglect to open
the store, and eventually the store just shut permanently. A sad
story. I suspect one reason for the lack of caring was the lack of any
kid to pass the store down to. Legalizing same-sex marriage would
promote the continued existence of such Pop and Pop businesses,
because officially recognized married couples would find it easier to
adopt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

(z z) wrote:

>> > I always thought "a curry" was a noun for a particular dish made from a
>> > particular recipe. Curry powder to me is an adjective describing a
>> > certain yellowish spice.

>> My local (STL) supermarket has 9 different powders labelled curry; the
>> colors range from yellow to redish brown and three different "heat" levels.
>> We also have an international grocer nearby, it has even more curry
>> "powders"; three varieties (Madras, Medium and Hot) of Rajah brand in just
>> the England aisle.

>Curry powder is to curry, as a bouillon cube is to stock. It's an instant
>"convenience" short cut. The real thing is far more subtle and variable.
> India used to be part of the British Empire; many colonialists acquired
>a taste for curries which they brought back home to Britain. Ready-mix
>curry powders came with them for their home cooks to use. But it's not,
>what people in India use.
>
> Indian cooks don't use a single curry powder; every housewife and cook
>has a masala collection of different spices/seeds etc and grinds and
>prepares different combinations for different tastes according to what
>she's cooking.Just like any other huge continent, Indian cookery varies
>hugely by region and culture so depending which region the cook comes
>from, curry dishes might be very mild and delicate or fiercely hot.
>
> If you want to make a start on cooking real curry, I recommend getting
>yourself a basic masala set like this.

http://www.ppk.me.uk/bina/dabba.htm

> Janet

Thank you so much for the link. I want one of everything. I'm ordering
the spice tins and since I already have the spices they are offering,
I'll probably try one of the blends.

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Natural Watkins Spices
www.apinchofspices.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

spamtrap1888 > wrote:

> (Victor Sack) wrote:
> > Dan Abel > wrote:
> > > The name "curry" means "soup or sauce" in India.

> > I think Indians would have a problem with this simplification.
> >
> > A repost:
> > There is really no such thing as "Indian curry", except perhaps in the
> > quaint western notion of a highly-spiced stew-type dish vaguely "Indian"
> > in concept and execution. *There is no such notion in India, at least
> > not any that would be commonly accepted.

> This is also a quaint eastern notion, because the word curry (actualy
> kari) to indicate a highly spiced stew type dish has entered the
> lexikon in Indonesia, Malaysia, Vietnam, etc. Further, each of these
> countries was colonized by a different European power, making it less
> likely that the word curry came from a British misunderstanding. In
> the case of Malaysia, the presence of Indian Muslims as well as the
> descendents of Tamil rubber-tappers make it seem likely that they
> brought the word kari as well as the various highly spiced stews we
> know by that name.

Except that the word "curry", however transliterated in each particular
language, means a different thing in every case, tending to refer to a
spice blend, rather than to a dish. Besides, the word is generally
used much more rarely and much more specifically than in the west.
Most dishes using such blends are called "curries" only in the western
languages; in native languages they have their own, unrelated names.
For example, Thai "curries" are actually called "gaeng" in Thai. Of
all the eastern countries, only in Japan is the word "kare" common, but
the word and the very concept of such a dish was borrowed directly from
the British.

A local Vietnamese restaurant used to serve ech xao ca ri, curried frog
legs. It was not any kind of "curry", as it was not a stew and there
was no sauce to speak of; it just meant that a certain spice blend had
been used.

BTW, one of the participants in the threads I pointed to (which you for
some reason saw fit to snip) used to live in Tamil Nadu - and she, too,
wasn't even trying to provide a universal "Indian curry" definition.

<http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2011-09-25/special-report/30200393_1_curry-hill-indian-spices-dish>

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> "Jean B." > wrote in message
>> jmcquown wrote:

>>> That's a nifty spice storage gadget, for sure! But what do you do
>>> when the spices run out? I guess I'd have to order online from
>>> spicehouse.com or penzey's. I know my local supermarket doesn't
>>> carry garam masala, funugreek or cinnamon sticks. I'm not even sure
>>> they carry ground coriander. As much as I love Publix supermarket,
>>> they have a rather limited spice section.
>>>
>>> Do you know if the Bina site ships to the US? I sent them an email
>>> to inquire, but I only see mention on the site about additional
>>> postage if outside the UK but in EU. I ask because my oldest brother
>>> has a birthday coming up. He loves to cook and loves different types
>>> of curries. I think this would make a very nice gift!
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Here, the little containers are empty when you buy the set. You buy
>> the spices yourself.
>>
>> --
>> Jean B.

> Still doesn't tell me where to get the spices. There are no Indian (or
> Asian) shops around here. My local Publix (or Food Lion, which is a
> sort of shabby store) doesn't have an extensive spice selection. I
> guess I'd have to order the spices online. I don't think about curry
> enough to care. I just thought it might be a nice birthday gift.
>
> Jill

Yes, you are in a rather unique position there, I think. My
normal grocery stores have adequate selections for most people.
Plus I am near a Penzey's (although a bit farther away than
before). I have several Indian stores starting perhaps three
miles from me, plus a pan-Asian store, plus the mostly Korean
store. I'm very lucky. I was thinking one could use those for
things other than curry. But then I also started thinking it
might be awkward when you need just some of the spices from more
than one such container.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 11:20:55 -0400, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
>> Still doesn't tell me where to get the spices. There are no Indian (or
>> Asian) shops around here. My local Publix (or Food Lion, which is a sort of
>> shabby store) doesn't have an extensive spice selection. I guess I'd have
>> to order the spices online. I don't think about curry enough to care. I
>> just thought it might be a nice birthday gift.

> Penzeys Maharahja Curry Powder. I'm not a fan of Indian cookery,
> maybe because every time I tried one of NYC's pricey Indian restos I
> found their entrees to be grease laden smelly slop. So I make my own
> versions using Penzeys Maharaja Curry Powder, it's a bit pricy but a
> very little goes a long way, usually with chicken or pork stew, I hate
> lamb... I like to use it to flavor rice pilafs, even rice and black
> beans... a 1/2 tsp to a cup of rice is very flavorful.
> http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...maharajah.html

I don't like that one. It tastes musty to me. I like their sweet
curry powder (even though I usually am not into mild things). BUT
it must be the one in the small container. For some very strange
reason, the formula is not the same as the one in the large
container. I first noticed that a couple of years ago and saw it
again within the last 90 days or so, when I was last in Penzey's.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." wrote:
> Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> "jmcquown" wrote:
>>
>>> Still doesn't tell me where to get the spices. There are no Indian (or
>>> Asian) shops around here. My local Publix (or Food Lion, which is a sort of
>>> shabby store) doesn't have an extensive spice selection. I guess I'd have
>>> to order the spices online. I don't think about curry enough to care. I
>>> just thought it might be a nice birthday gift.

>> Penzeys Maharahja Curry Powder. I'm not a fan of Indian cookery,
>> maybe because every time I tried one of NYC's pricey Indian restos I
>> found their entrees to be grease laden smelly slop. So I make my own
>> versions using Penzeys Maharaja Curry Powder, it's a bit pricy but a
>> very little goes a long way, usually with chicken or pork stew, I hate
>> lamb... I like to use it to flavor rice pilafs, even rice and black
>> beans... a 1/2 tsp to a cup of rice is very flavorful.
>> http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...maharajah.html

>I don't like that one. It tastes musty to me. I like their sweet
>curry powder (even though I usually am not into mild things). BUT
>it must be the one in the small container. For some very strange
>reason, the formula is not the same as the one in the large
>container. I first noticed that a couple of years ago and saw it
>again within the last 90 days or so, when I was last in Penzey's.

Not sure what you mean by "small container". Penzeys packages spices
in mylar type resealable bags or in screw top jars of several sizes.
I've never noticed a difference in product regardless what amount I
purchase. I've never been to a Penzeys store, I've always phoned in
my orders. Penzey's has recently opened a store in Albany, NY at the
Crossgates Mall, I haven't been, probably never will, it's still a
good hour drive and I've never been to that maul. Btw, their sweet
curry powder is not "sweet", it just doesn't include hot pepper is
all. Their Maharajah curry powder isn't hot either, it's also
"sweet", it's expensive (costs twice as much) because it contains a
lot of saffron. I happen to like the taste and aroma of saffron, and
it adds good color too... maybe to you saffron smells musty... it
can't taste musty, musty is an odor, but it can taste moldy. Many
people don't like saffron, I think it's an acquired taste.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:
> "Jean B." wrote:
>> Brooklyn1 wrote:

>>> Penzeys Maharahja Curry Powder. I'm not a fan of Indian cookery,
>>> maybe because every time I tried one of NYC's pricey Indian restos I
>>> found their entrees to be grease laden smelly slop. So I make my own
>>> versions using Penzeys Maharaja Curry Powder, it's a bit pricy but a
>>> very little goes a long way, usually with chicken or pork stew, I hate
>>> lamb... I like to use it to flavor rice pilafs, even rice and black
>>> beans... a 1/2 tsp to a cup of rice is very flavorful.
>>> http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...maharajah.html

>> I don't like that one. It tastes musty to me. I like their sweet
>> curry powder (even though I usually am not into mild things). BUT
>> it must be the one in the small container. For some very strange
>> reason, the formula is not the same as the one in the large
>> container. I first noticed that a couple of years ago and saw it
>> again within the last 90 days or so, when I was last in Penzey's.

> Not sure what you mean by "small container". Penzeys packages spices
> in mylar type resealable bags or in screw top jars of several sizes.
> I've never noticed a difference in product regardless what amount I
> purchase. I've never been to a Penzeys store, I've always phoned in
> my orders. Penzey's has recently opened a store in Albany, NY at the
> Crossgates Mall, I haven't been, probably never will, it's still a
> good hour drive and I've never been to that maul. Btw, their sweet
> curry powder is not "sweet", it just doesn't include hot pepper is
> all. Their Maharajah curry powder isn't hot either, it's also
> "sweet", it's expensive (costs twice as much) because it contains a
> lot of saffron. I happen to like the taste and aroma of saffron, and
> it adds good color too... maybe to you saffron smells musty... it
> can't taste musty, musty is an odor, but it can taste moldy. Many
> people don't like saffron, I think it's an acquired taste.

In the shops, they usually have a bag, plus a larger jar and a
smaller jar. I don't think I have seen the curry powder in a bag.
And you are right. Usually the containers contain the exact
same thing, but in this case, they do not. Wait! I have both, so
I'll type up the lists of ingredients:

Sweet Curry (1.1 oz.): turmeric, coriander, cumin, fenugreek,
ginger, nutmeg, fennel, cinnamon, white pepper, cloves, cardamom,
and black and red pepper.

Sweet Curry Powder (2.2 oz.): turmeric, coriander, cumin, ginger,
fenugreek, nutmeg, fennel, cinnamon, white pepper, cardamom
cloves, Tellicherry black pepper, and cayenne red pepper.

So the amounts of four of the ingredients are different. I don't
believe it is just a reordering of ingredients that are present in
the same amount, because I liked the smaller jar and then decided
I went through it quickly enough to warrant getting the larger
jar. It was not as good. The next time I was there, I happened
to compare the labels.

Other differences a the word Powder in the name, and the
caption underneath. But these are sold in the store, as the large
and small version of sweet curry powder.

(Of course, I normally use the various components of curries [and
other dishes that fall under that name in western parlance]. I
used the prepared powder in a more-casual way.)

I have come to the same conclusion about saffron. It tastes musty
(or if you prefer, moldy) to me, so the Maharajah Curry Powder
also tastes musty to me. That was disappointing, because I had
high hopes for it, and it costs more than the others do. I wonder
whether all such things are genetic, like the way we perceive
cilantro.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:
> [...]

> I went through it quickly enough to warrant getting the larger
> jar. It was not as good. The next time I was there, I happened
> to compare the labels.
>
> Other differences a the word Powder in the name, and the
> caption underneath. But these are sold in the store, as the large
> and small version of sweet curry powder.
>
> (Of course, I normally use the various components of curries [and
> other dishes that fall under that name in western parlance]. I
> used the prepared powder in a more-casual way.)
>
> I have come to the same conclusion about saffron. It tastes musty
> (or if you prefer, moldy) to me, so the Maharajah Curry Powder
> also tastes musty to me. That was disappointing, because I had
> high hopes for it, and it costs more than the others do. I wonder
> whether all such things are genetic, like the way we perceive

FWIW my favorite blend is Northwoods Fire and I have two
different formulations right now. I think it might be a question
of the strengths of the spices as much as anything, which makes
sense if they are blending to a specific taste rather than to a
formula. Interesting observation.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

pavane wrote:
> [...]

>> and small version of sweet curry powder.
>>
>> (Of course, I normally use the various components of curries [and
>> other dishes that fall under that name in western parlance]. I
>> used the prepared powder in a more-casual way.)
>>
>> I have come to the same conclusion about saffron. It tastes musty
>> (or if you prefer, moldy) to me, so the Maharajah Curry Powder
>> also tastes musty to me. That was disappointing, because I had
>> high hopes for it, and it costs more than the others do. I wonder
>> whether all such things are genetic, like the way we perceive
>> cilantro.

> FWIW my favorite blend is Northwoods Fire and I have two
> different formulations right now. I think it might be a question
> of the strengths of the spices as much as anything, which makes
> sense if they are blending to a specific taste rather than to a

I don't think I've tried that. I do see that I have a couple of
coupons, one of which expires On Monday, so I'd better get there
in a hurry.

--
Jean B.