Old 30-04-2012, 03:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Question on "White Trash Cooking"

i'll be right over to share that memory and food, Lee
"ImStillMags" wrote in message
On Mar 18, 6:29 pm, Don Martinich wrote:

'Netty Irene says, "It's no trouble at all! All you got to do is rench
'em out, wipe 'em out with a dishrag, and put 'em on the fire to dry
out
all the water. Then tear off a piece of grocery bag and fold it about
two inches square. Dab it in grease and smear it round 'n round the
bottom and sides 'til they're plenty covered. Let'em cool and hang 'em
on a nail." '

--------

That is exactly they way people in the rural parts of the Cumberland
River valley speak. My relatives, some of them, still talk that
way. It is exactly the way I was taught to treat cast iron...and
still do today. I don't use a grocery bag these days, I use a paper
towel. ;-)

I was born in East Tennessee, in Oak Ridge. We were not 'white
trash' but we weren't well to do by any means.
We had a big garden and chickens and raised a beef calf. We got our
milk from a old guy across the road who had
a couple of Jersey cows. My Dad was a millwright and my mom worked
in a textile mill. They looked down on
'white trash' which were people they considered beneath them because
they didn't ever seem to work and had
unpainted houses with old refrigerators and tires, etc., in the front
yard.

But the one thing everyone had in common was home cookin'. We did
eat 'good'. Big mess of greens, a ham hock and cornbread. Yum Yum.

Old 30-04-2012, 03:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Apr 30, 7:26*am, Lenona wrote:
On Apr 30, 10:05*am, Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:

Lenona wrote:

What I want to know is, what, if anything, is different about "White
Trash Cooking II"?

See Pandora's blog.

Er, there seems to be more than one - link, please?

Sheldon was being an asshole.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:10 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 30, 9:52*am, Lenona wrote:
On Mar 18, wrote:

The sequel was "Sinkin Spells, Hot Flashes, Fits and Cravins." (It has
a lot of recipes for mass gatherings, unlike the first. It also has
long tales by Southerners.)

*There are also the books "The Treasury of White Trash Cooking" and
"White Trash Cooking II."

*I found out that the main differences between "Sinkin Spells, Hot
Flashes, Fits and Cravins" and "The Treasury of White Trash Cooking"
is that the latter has 138 extra pages of recipes and an extra set of
photos. The former includes fan reviews, including ones from Harper
Lee and the late actress Helen Hayes. It also includes a preface by
the late North Carolina publisher Jonathan Williams.

*What I want to know is, what, if anything, is different about "White
Trash Cooking II"?

Well, it appears that "White Trash Cooking II" is simply a re-issue of
"Sinkin Spells, Hot Flashes, Fits and Cravins."

Good to know.

BTW, if you get any of those three books, check out pages 67-70, IIRC.
There's a funny story about a young Mississippi(?) woman who wants a
certain opera record for Christmas. What's funny is when she tells the
story of the opera to her mother - and the latter's reaction.

Lenona.