Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Coffe makers

On 12/03/2012 1:49 PM, George M. Middius wrote:

a coffee unit with built-in grinder.

> I snipped it because it's wrong. That's W-R-O-N-G. It's not necessary
> to "take apart" a grinder in order to clean it.
>
> Did you make even the tiniest effort to learn what I meant by "rice
> pellets"?

Mine needs to be taken apart for cleaning.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 05:24:15 -0700 (PDT), "J. Clarke"
> wrote:

>The main benefit of the Technivorm is that it maintains constant brew
>temperature. If you can tell the difference it's worthwhile, if you
>can't it's not. The way to know if you can tell the difference is to
>perform an experiment--make up a pot of coffee in whatever you're
>using now, and make up another batch with a pot of water heated on the
>stove to precisely 200F and a Melitta pourover filter cone. If you
>can tell the difference between the two the Technivorm may be
>worthwhile for you. If you can't then it's wasted money.

She can tell the difference so I ordered the Technivorm. Heck, she's
worth it. I also buy her quality coffee beans. I order Kona from
Smith Farms (just arrived today, in fact) or take her to Armeno to
taste and choose
http://www.armeno.com/store/
www.smithfarms.com

Life is too short for cheap booze, or cheap coffee, or cheap tea.

>None of these though address the issues that your wife seems to have,
>which are speed and spilling, not flavor. Have you had her go through
>making coffee with you so that you understand what part of the process
>she wants to be faster and why there's a spilling problem?
>
>Also, you don't say what you're using now--that makes it difficult to
>suggest an improvement.

Mr. Coffee. If you fill the carafe, it is difficult to pour the first
cup unless you go very very slow. Poor design that can be easily
fixed buy would add a half penny to the cost.

It takes about 12 minutes to brew a pot. I don't think it is a big
deal, but years ago we had a Bunn that was about 3 minutes. I never
liked the coffee from it though. Yes, with the Mr.C you can grab a
cup early on while brewing, but that changes the characteristics of
the pot when you take away a strong initial cup, making the balance
weak.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>with the Mr.C you can grab a
>cup early on while brewing, but that changes the characteristics of
>the pot when you take away a strong initial cup, making the balance
>weak.

That truism should be posted on every office bulletin board.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2012-03-12, Kent > wrote:
>
>> have destroyed two Cuisinart burr grinders, and would not recommend it.
>> It
>> has a single flat burr that wears out.

> Take 'em apart and actually look at the burrs. Nothing wrong with
> flat burrs, some of the best commercial grinders use them (Mazzer,
> etc). OTOH, I've seen home grinders costing around $100 that
> use hard plastic! flat burrs. Junk!
>
> nb

With two Cuisinart grinders the flat burrs wore out after so much use. The
burrs quit grinding because the surface became flat. I think all grinders
are like this are made in the same Chinese factory. I think the burrs are
made of metal that is too wimpy to take long term use. I don't think the
Chinese drink coffee. They're just making the product as a subcontractor for
a company with a label in the U.S.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

in.local...

http://www.kitchenaid.com/product/KPCG100OB.uts
>> At that price I should be. It does, however, give you a uniform grind
>> that
>> no blade grinder does. I purchased one at Costco for a very reasonable
>> price.

> If you're making drip coffee a whirligig works fine. Cooks Illustrated
> ran a double-blind test a while back and found that for drip most people
> preferred the results of the whirligig to a good burr grinder. If
> you're doing espresso you absolutely need a good burr grinder (and all
> burr grinders are not "good" in the context of espresso) and it can cut
> down the fines that filter through with French press and a few other
> processes but for most people it's wasted money.
>
> After farting around with several cheap burr grinders that either didn't
> grind fine enough or that jumped from "clog the portafilter" to "no
> flavor" with no steps in between or that worked for a couple of weeks
> and something busted I broke down and spent the 300 bucks for a Rocky
> and it works a treat. But if you aren't doing espresso with a real
> espresso machine there's no need to spend that kind of money.

The whirling blade grinders create a dissimilar grind. The particles are
different sizes. Each mode of coffee making is best with a certain particle
size. My proline is set at 5.5 which gives me a uniform particle size that
produces the best brew with the least amount of coffee beans in my drip
coffee maker. I think each drip coffee maker works best with a unique
particle size. When I use my backup coffee maker I have to reduce the
particle size a bit.

Kent

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> She can tell the difference so I ordered the Technivorm. Heck, she's
> worth it. I also buy her quality coffee beans. I order Kona from
> Smith Farms (just arrived today, in fact) or take her to Armeno to
> taste and choose
> http://www.armeno.com/store/
> www.smithfarms.com
>
> Life is too short for cheap booze, or cheap coffee, or cheap tea.

Good on you, Ed! I'm thinking about ordering some of Cea's coffee, too.
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller September 5, 2011
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 09:25:20 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>> She can tell the difference so I ordered the Technivorm. Heck, she's
>> worth it. I also buy her quality coffee beans. I order Kona from
>> Smith Farms (just arrived today, in fact) or take her to Armeno to
>> taste and choose
>> http://www.armeno.com/store/
>> www.smithfarms.com
>>
>> Life is too short for cheap booze, or cheap coffee, or cheap tea.

>Good on you, Ed! I'm thinking about ordering some of Cea's coffee, too.

Go for it, good stuff. Our new grinder arrived today. Only did a
tiny bit tonight to make sure it worked and it gave a very consistent,
even, grind and is much quieter than the old one.

Grinder
http://www.wholelattelove.com/Baratz...irtuoso-nb.cfm
A similar model can be found a few dollars cheaper, but this had a
better burr grinder set. This is the 586, the old was the 585 model.

Coffee maker was out of stock but may ship by Friday
http://www.wholelattelove.com/Techni...orm_thermo.cfm
Senior Member

Location: New York

I use Technivorm and I must say it is the best out of all the brands. It is little costly though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 23:18:18 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 09:25:20 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:
>
>>In article >,
>> Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>>
>>> She can tell the difference so I ordered the Technivorm. Heck, she's
>>> worth it. I also buy her quality coffee beans. I order Kona from
>>> Smith Farms (just arrived today, in fact) or take her to Armeno to
>>> taste and choose
>>> http://www.armeno.com/store/
>>> www.smithfarms.com
>>>
>>> Life is too short for cheap booze, or cheap coffee, or cheap tea.

>>Good on you, Ed! I'm thinking about ordering some of Cea's coffee, too.

>Go for it, good stuff. Our new grinder arrived today. Only did a
>tiny bit tonight to make sure it worked and it gave a very consistent,
>even, grind and is much quieter than the old one.
>
>Grinder
>http://www.wholelattelove.com/Baratz...irtuoso-nb.cfm
>A similar model can be found a few dollars cheaper, but this had a
>better burr grinder set. This is the 586, the old was the 585 model.

I have the same grinder, been using it about 12 years, works very
well. They've made minor cosmetic changes over the years but from
your picture the burr assembly and everything else looks exactly the
same. The only two negatives I've discovered is that you need to
clean the burr assembly often (at least once a month) and some whole
beans fall down into the motor portion, you need to up-end the unit to
shake them out. Also it's very prone to static electricity build up
especially the plastic grinds container... washing it often cuts down
on static and is crucial or coffee dust will spray all over each time
it's opened and poured... keep it away from your coffee maker when
pouring grinds. Otherwise it's a solidly built unit and should last
many years. I stopped grinding beans about a year ago when I switched
to Walmart brand ground coffee in the big can, it's better and more
consistant than any whole bean coffee I've ever used... they sell six
different roasts but not an espresso grind. For espresso I've always
preferred Bustello. Coffee drinking is like scotch drinking,
everyones taste is different, there is no best.

>Coffee maker was out of stock but may ship by Friday
>http://www.wholelattelove.com/Techni...orm_thermo.cfm

I've seen that advertised in the Williams Sonoma catalog, was much
more expensive over a year ago (over $1,000), now they carry several
models at about $300.
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/searc...d-viewset=ecom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 14, 8:18*pm, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 09:25:20 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
>
> > wrote:
> >In article >,
> > Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> >> She can tell the difference so I ordered the Technivorm. *Heck, she's
> >> worth it. *I also buy her quality coffee beans. * I order Kona from
> >> Smith Farms (just arrived today, in fact) or take her to Armeno to
> >> taste and choose
> >>http://www.armeno.com/store/
> >>www.smithfarms.com

> >> Life is too short for cheap booze, or cheap coffee, or cheap tea.

> >Good on you, Ed! *I'm thinking about ordering some of Cea's coffee, too.

> Go for it, good stuff. *Our new grinder arrived today. *Only did a
> tiny bit tonight to make sure it worked and it gave a very consistent,
> even, grind and is much quieter than the old one.
>
> Grinderhttp://www.wholelattelove.com/Baratza/baratza-virtuoso-nb.cfm
> A similar model can be found a few dollars cheaper, but this had a
> better burr grinder set. *This is the 586, the old was the 585 model.

Here's a $45 conical burr grinder:

http://www.wholelattelove.com//hario...ramic-mill.cfm

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 11:07:19 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888
> wrote:

>On Mar 14, 8:18*pm, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>> On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 09:25:20 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
>>
>> > wrote:

>> >Good on you, Ed! *I'm thinking about ordering some of Cea's coffee, too.

>> Go for it, good stuff. *Our new grinder arrived today. *Only did a
>> tiny bit tonight to make sure it worked and it gave a very consistent,
>> even, grind and is much quieter than the old one.
>>
>> Grinderhttp://www.wholelattelove.com/Baratza/baratza-virtuoso-nb.cfm
>> A similar model can be found a few dollars cheaper, but this had a
>> better burr grinder set. *This is the 586, the old was the 585 model.
>>

>Here's a $45 conical burr grinder:
>
>http://www.wholelattelove.com//hario...ramic-mill.cfm

I have it. . It is charming and I find the grind a tad too large, but
if you are grinding for even one full pot a day, you'll wind up with
biceps.

I use it for other purposes now.

Boron

coffe and a cappuccino mycoolgirl General 5 21-04-2011 11:07 AM
The best coffe grinders RubyU Coffee 3 14-12-2006 05:50 PM
Vacuum Coffe Makers BrianW General Cooking 16 24-07-2006 09:26 PM
Barb's Coffe Cake !! RMiller General Cooking 8 02-09-2004 12:41 AM
Quiet coffe maker? Steve Calvin Cooking Equipment 13 04-02-2004 02:35 PM