Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Coffe makers

On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 21:18:15 -0400, George M. Middius
> wrote:

> sf wrote:
>
> >I'd like to get a burr grinder someday, but not at that price - so if
> >you ever stumble across one at a screaming good deal, please let me
> >know!

> Here's a couple:
>
> <http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bodum-Bistro-Electric-Burr-Coffee-Grinder-Black-/380419169998?pt=Small_Kitchen_Appliances_US&hash=i tem5892bfdece>
>
> <http://www.ebay.com/itm/KitchenAid-Pro-Line-Series-Burr-Coffee-Mill-Grinder-Onyx-Black-KPCG100OB-/330700040484?pt=Small_Kitchen_Appliances_US&hash=i tem4cff422924>

Thanks, George. I googled burr grinders after I posted and found
fairly inexpensive ones ($60 and under)... which is odd because I
remember googling a long time ago and only finding the $100-200
models, so I dismissed the notion of ever owning one. Too bad those
EBay items above don't have a "buy it now" price. I don't do EBay
auctions, but a good "buy it now" price would rope me in.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 19:48:08 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 17:05:14 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 16:32:52 -0700, "Kent" >
> >wrote:
> >
> >> I'm very fond of my Kitchenaid Pro-Line burr grinder.
> >> http://www.kitchenaid.com/product/KPCG100OB.uts
> >> At that price I should be. It does, however, give you a uniform grind that
> >> no blade grinder does. I purchased one at Costco for a very reasonable
> >> price.

> >I'd like to get a burr grinder someday, but not at that price - so if
> >you ever stumble across one at a screaming good deal, please let me
> >know!

> Costco currently has Krupps burr grinder for $29 You should be able
> to get a burr grinder for around $50+ anywhere, anytime.
> Janet US

Thanks for the Costco tip. I like that price! To be honest, I have
never looked specifically for burr grinders because I thought they
were all well over $100 and for that amount of money, I'd rather have
my beans ground for free because I don't appreciate the fine
differences between having the bean purveyor grind it and grinding it
at home.

I wonder if I could call to find out if they have it in stock because
I've gone there looking for other "deals" people on rfc have mentioned
in the past and so far none of them have been in the store I've gone
to.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 23:23:59 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 17:05:14 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 16:32:52 -0700, "Kent" >
> >wrote:
> >
> >> I'm very fond of my Kitchenaid Pro-Line burr grinder.
> >> http://www.kitchenaid.com/product/KPCG100OB.uts
> >> At that price I should be. It does, however, give you a uniform grind that
> >> no blade grinder does. I purchased one at Costco for a very reasonable
> >> price.

> >I'd like to get a burr grinder someday, but not at that price - so if
> >you ever stumble across one at a screaming good deal, please let me
> >know!

> Burr grinder start at about $50. They go up to astronomical prices.

Thanks, Ed!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 19:51:29 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 21:10:18 -0400, George M. Middius
> > wrote:
>
> >Steve Freides wrote:
> >
> >>Fresh ground coffee makes a difference, so I recommend you purchase
> >>something with a built-in grinder. The shelf life of roasted coffee
> >>beans is much longer than the shelf life of ground coffee.

> >This advice is partly good and partly bad. Grinding beans right before
> >brewing is a big plus if you care about flavor, but the brewers with
> >built-in grinders are poor at both tasks. Plus, if the built-in
> >grinder clogs up or otherwise becomes unusable, you're back where you
> >started at best.
> >

> Grinders should really be cleaned after one or two uses. Haven't you
> ever looked at the grinders at the store and seen all the buildup
> around where the coffee exits? That is caused by statically charged
> particles and oily coffee beans.
> Janet US

It seems like a grinder that's integrated into a coffee pot would be
really hard to clean.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 21:06:58 -0400, George M. Middius
> wrote:

> French press brewers require a little more fuss. They also work better
> with finely ground coffee (i.e. finer than "drip" grind).

I think you're thinking of a different method. I know my French Press
specifies coarse. http://www.howtobrewcoffee.com/French.htm

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 02:46:58 +0000 (UTC), gregz >
wrote:

> I bought an inexpensive proctor silex unit with thermal carafe. I think
> it's much better than an always heating one.

That was what I was thinking about to replace my old coffee maker, but
I was gifted with a new one that was conventional... so you know what
your mother always said about gift horses? I did that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, says...

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 16:57:30 -0400, James Silverton
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> I found that the $20 Cuisinart coffee grinder works well with my (about
> >> $20) Mr Coffee and also with its replacement the similarly priced Sears
> >> that I mentioned. Despite what others have said in the past, I keep the
> >> beans in the freezer and I've not noticed any lack of flavor.

> > Agreed. I keep both whole beans and ground in the freezer and they're
> > fine. I buy them very fresh and they stay fresh there. Love my $20
> > Cuisinart coffee grinder too!
> >
> > --
> >

> I'm very fond of my Kitchenaid Pro-Line burr grinder.

http://www.kitchenaid.com/product/KPCG100OB.uts
> At that price I should be. It does, however, give you a uniform grind that
> no blade grinder does. I purchased one at Costco for a very reasonable
> price.

If you're making drip coffee a whirligig works fine. Cooks Illustrated
ran a double-blind test a while back and found that for drip most people
preferred the results of the whirligig to a good burr grinder. If
you're doing espresso you absolutely need a good burr grinder (and all
burr grinders are not "good" in the context of espresso) and it can cut
down the fines that filter through with French press and a few other
processes but for most people it's wasted money.

After farting around with several cheap burr grinders that either didn't
grind fine enough or that jumped from "clog the portafilter" to "no
flavor" with no steps in between or that worked for a couple of weeks
and something busted I broke down and spent the 300 bucks for a Rocky
and it works a treat. But if you aren't doing espresso with a real
espresso machine there's no need to spend that kind of money.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 19:48:08 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> > wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 17:05:14 -0700, sf > wrote:

http://www.kitchenaid.com/product/KPCG100OB.uts

> > >I'd like to get a burr grinder someday, but not at that price - so if
> > >you ever stumble across one at a screaming good deal, please let me
> > >know!

> > Costco currently has Krupps burr grinder for $29 You should be able
> > to get a burr grinder for around $50+ anywhere, anytime.
> > Janet US

> Thanks for the Costco tip. I like that price! To be honest, I have
> never looked specifically for burr grinders because I thought they
> were all well over $100 and for that amount of money, I'd rather have
> my beans ground for free because I don't appreciate the fine
> differences between having the bean purveyor grind it and grinding it
> at home.

If the bean perveyor uses a clean grinder in good condition there isn't
much difference the first day or three. It's when the coffee has been
sitting a while that you see a difference.

Here's an experiment. Get some coffee--have it ground fresh. Set it
aside for a couple of weeks. Get some more of the same from the same
source. Now make up a pot of the two week old, pour it in a preheated
thermos, then make another pot of the fresh. Taste both, black, no
cream or sugar.

If you don't find any difference then you're probably just as well off
to go with canned coffee. And if you always add lots of cream and sugar
you are definitely just as well off with canned.

> I wonder if I could call to find out if they have it in stock because
> I've gone there looking for other "deals" people on rfc have mentioned
> in the past and so far none of them have been in the store I've gone
> to.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 11, 3:06*pm, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
> I know this comes up from time to time, but what are your feelings
> about coffeemakersthese days? *French press still seems to be a
> favorite, but what about the high end drips?
>
> Technivorm seems to have better ratings than most, but is approaching
> $300. * It is made in the Netherlands though, a big plus.http://www.wholelattelove.com/Techni...orm_thermo.cfm
>
> *Most every other brand has some good ratings, but also some really
> bad ones from people with terrible experiences.
>
> Bunn makes coffee fast, but does not seem to be hot enough for some.
>
> Mr. Coffee and Black & Decker still have $19.95 models that sell by
> the millions. *Are they worth it?
>
> Has anyone had a big revelation? *Such as I should have spent the
> extra money and bought xxx years ago, it is well worth the cost. *Or,
> It was a waste to spend so much because the $20 Mr. C makes just a
> good a cup for a lot less.
>
> My wife mentioned that she'd like to have something other that what
> she now uses. Faster and easier to pour without spilling. *Personally,
> I have a cup of tea instead.

The main benefit of the Technivorm is that it maintains constant brew
temperature. If you can tell the difference it's worthwhile, if you
can't it's not. The way to know if you can tell the difference is to
perform an experiment--make up a pot of coffee in whatever you're
using now, and make up another batch with a pot of water heated on the
stove to precisely 200F and a Melitta pourover filter cone. If you
can tell the difference between the two the Technivorm may be
worthwhile for you. If you can't then it's wasted money.

None of these though address the issues that your wife seems to have,
which are speed and spilling, not flavor. Have you had her go through
making coffee with you so that you understand what part of the process
she wants to be faster and why there's a spilling problem?

Also, you don't say what you're using now--that makes it difficult to
suggest an improvement.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 11, 2012 9:46:57 PM UTC-5, gregz wrote:
> I can enjoy a good cup of coffee, but I'll drink any cheap instant.

Henceforth, you will be known to have your tongue in your asshole, and nothing you have to say about food will have any credibility whatsoever.

> Greg

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 07:55:01 -0400, "J. Clarke"
> wrote:

> If the bean perveyor uses a clean grinder in good condition there isn't
> much difference the first day or three. It's when the coffee has been
> sitting a while that you see a difference.

That's why I freeze my coffee, ground or whole and take it out on an
as needed basis. The aging process slows down radically when I do
that.

> Here's an experiment. Get some coffee--have it ground fresh. Set it
> aside for a couple of weeks. Get some more of the same from the same
> source. Now make up a pot of the two week old, pour it in a preheated
> thermos, then make another pot of the fresh. Taste both, black, no
> cream or sugar.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 07:49:21 -0400, "J. Clarke"
> wrote:
>
> If you're making drip coffee a whirligig works fine. Cooks Illustrated
> ran a double-blind test a while back and found that for drip most people
> preferred the results of the whirligig to a good burr grinder. If
> you're doing espresso you absolutely need a good burr grinder (and all
> burr grinders are not "good" in the context of espresso) and it can cut
> down the fines that filter through with French press and a few other
> processes but for most people it's wasted money.

I only make drip coffee, so problem solved - money saved.

> After farting around with several cheap burr grinders that either didn't
> grind fine enough or that jumped from "clog the portafilter" to "no
> flavor" with no steps in between or that worked for a couple of weeks
> and something busted I broke down and spent the 300 bucks for a Rocky
> and it works a treat. But if you aren't doing espresso with a real
> espresso machine there's no need to spend that kind of money.

Thanks. I get my espresso at a shop or restaurant, not at home.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 07:55:51 -0400, "J. Clarke"
> wrote:

> In article >,
> says...
> >
> > On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 19:51:29 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 21:10:18 -0400, George M. Middius

> > > Grinders should really be cleaned after one or two uses. Haven't you
> > > ever looked at the grinders at the store and seen all the buildup
> > > around where the coffee exits? That is caused by statically charged
> > > particles and oily coffee beans.
> > > Janet US

> > It seems like a grinder that's integrated into a coffee pot would be
> > really hard to clean.

> With the Cuisinart you pull all the grinder bits out and toss them in
> the dishwasher and it's happy. If you don't use a dishwasher you'll
> find it a nuisance.

Okay, that makes sense. I didn't realize you can take them apart.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>> >I'd like to get a burr grinder someday, but not at that price - so if
>> >you ever stumble across one at a screaming good deal, please let me
>> >know!

>> Here's a couple:
>>
>> <http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bodum-Bistro-Electric-Burr-Coffee-Grinder-Black-/380419169998?pt=Small_Kitchen_Appliances_US&hash=i tem5892bfdece>
>>
>> <http://www.ebay.com/itm/KitchenAid-Pro-Line-Series-Burr-Coffee-Mill-Grinder-Onyx-Black-KPCG100OB-/330700040484?pt=Small_Kitchen_Appliances_US&hash=i tem4cff422924>

>Thanks, George. I googled burr grinders after I posted and found
>fairly inexpensive ones ($60 and under)... which is odd because I
>remember googling a long time ago and only finding the $100-200
>models, so I dismissed the notion of ever owning one. Too bad those
>EBay items above don't have a "buy it now" price. I don't do EBay
>auctions, but a good "buy it now" price would rope me in.

I should've added some provisos. I picked those two of all the ones
listed on ebay because I know from first-hand that they're good
machines. I also know some that aren't worth the money -- Mr Coffee,
Cuisinart, and Krups spring to mind.

Also, in case you didn't know: If you see an item at auction without a
B-I-N price, ask yourself how much you'd pay for it. Then just bid
that amount and forget about it until you get a "Congratulations!"
email from ebay.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

J. Clarke wrote:

>> I don't appreciate the fine differences between having the bean
>> purveyor grind it and grinding it at home.

>Here's an experiment. Get some coffee--have it ground fresh. Set it
>aside for a couple of weeks. Get some more of the same from the same
>source. Now make up a pot of the two week old, pour it in a preheated
>thermos, then make another pot of the fresh. Taste both, black, no
>cream or sugar.
>
>If you don't find any difference then you're probably just as well off
>to go with canned coffee. And if you always add lots of cream and sugar
>you are definitely just as well off with canned.

I second the motion. That's an easy way to decide how much you want to
invest in hardware.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> I know this comes up from time to time, but what are your feelings
> about coffeemakersthese days? *French press still seems to be a
> favorite, but what about the high end drips?

What everyone on these coffee threads neglects to mention is that the
most important aspect of brewing coffee is the water. Choosing the
coffee(s) one likes is rather easy, thats according to ones taste and
everyones is different. But regardless the brewing method if the
water one uses is of poor quality how much one spends on everything
else is all for nought... coffee is more than 99.9% water. Most folks
use tap water. Bottled water is tap water too, just from someone
elses tap. Faucet filters do nothing to improve tap water and by the
tenth quart the filter is so contaminated that the water is of poorer
quality than were there no filter... and the filter elements
themselves add flavor, especially when brand new. Before
experimenting with equipment and coffees first is to obtain quality
water... the only water I know of that is clean/pure is freshly drawn
RO water.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> I know this comes up from time to time, but what are your feelings
> about coffee makers these days? French press still seems to be a
> favorite, but what about the high end drips?
>
> Technivorm seems to have better ratings than most, but is approaching
> $300. It is made in the Netherlands though, a big plus.
> http://www.wholelattelove.com/Techni...orm_thermo.cfm
>
> Most every other brand has some good ratings, but also some really
> bad ones from people with terrible experiences.
>
> Bunn makes coffee fast, but does not seem to be hot enough for some.
>
> Mr. Coffee and Black & Decker still have $19.95 models that sell by
> the millions. Are they worth it?

It's the one I buy, Ed. Mr. Coffee. I think I've picked up a Presto at
the supermarket, too.

My sense of the whole process is that a good cuppa joe relies more on
the coffee (and maybe the water) used than on the coffee pot. Maybe I'm
wrong--I have pretty plebeian tastes about most things. I replace my pot
every couple years and I don't care--I just can't bring myself to pay big
bucks for a coffee pot.

Coincidentally, my neighbor and I were discussing replacement pots last
night. Her Mr. Coffee leaks and she's been holding out for a $20 Mr.
Coffee. I guess Kohl's has them on sale for a couple days and that's
where she's headed today.

> Has anyone had a big revelation? Such as I should have spent the
> extra money and bought xxx years ago, it is well worth the cost. Or,
> It was a waste to spend so much because the $20 Mr. C makes just a
> good a cup for a lot less.
>
> My wife mentioned that she'd like to have something other that what
> she now uses. Faster and easier to pour without spilling. Personally,
> I have a cup of tea instead.

<grin> My Mr. Coffee pours okay but I'm always wiping drips from the
hot plate because the stopper gizmo always releases a bit when the pot
is removed for pouring. Capisce?
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller September 5, 2011
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 21:06:58 -0400, George M. Middius
> > wrote:

> >My highest priority is maintaining flavor beyond the first cup, so a
> >thermal carafe is a requirement for me.

> That is what she wants next time around.

Put the contents of the fresh-brewed pot into a stainless steel airpot
or Thermos bottle and she'll be good to go.
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller September 5, 2011
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 10:37:35 -0400, George M. Middius
> wrote:

> >> Here's a couple:
> >>
> >> <http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bodum-Bistro-Electric-Burr-Coffee-Grinder-Black-/380419169998?pt=Small_Kitchen_Appliances_US&hash=i tem5892bfdece>
> >>
> >> <http://www.ebay.com/itm/KitchenAid-Pro-Line-Series-Burr-Coffee-Mill-Grinder-Onyx-Black-KPCG100OB-/330700040484?pt=Small_Kitchen_Appliances_US&hash=i tem4cff422924>

> >Thanks, George. I googled burr grinders after I posted and found
> >fairly inexpensive ones ($60 and under)... which is odd because I
> >remember googling a long time ago and only finding the $100-200
> >models, so I dismissed the notion of ever owning one. Too bad those
> >EBay items above don't have a "buy it now" price. I don't do EBay
> >auctions, but a good "buy it now" price would rope me in.

> I should've added some provisos. I picked those two of all the ones
> listed on ebay because I know from first-hand that they're good
> machines. I also know some that aren't worth the money -- Mr Coffee,
> Cuisinart, and Krups spring to mind.

I figured you posted them because you liked those brands in particular
and the EBay auction looked good to you, thanks.

> Also, in case you didn't know: If you see an item at auction without a
> B-I-N price, ask yourself how much you'd pay for it. Then just bid
> that amount and forget about it until you get a "Congratulations!"
> email from ebay.

I'm an EBay novice. Auctions charge commission or whatever they call
it - so how much does EBay add on to the price you bid for their cut?
What about sales tax and shipping?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>> French press brewers require a little more fuss. They also work better
>> with finely ground coffee (i.e. finer than "drip" grind).

>I think you're thinking of a different method. I know my French Press
>specifies coarse. http://www.howtobrewcoffee.com/French.htm

I guess I got that backward. But why does the last bit of brew contain
all those superfine grounds?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>> I bought an inexpensive proctor silex unit with thermal carafe. I think
>> it's much better than an always heating one.

>That was what I was thinking about to replace my old coffee maker, but
>I was gifted with a new one that was conventional... so you know what
>your mother always said about gift horses? I did that.

You might consider buying yourself a thermal carafe. You can get a
1-liter carafe for $20 or so.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 11:26:51 -0400, George M. Middius
> wrote:

> sf wrote:
>
> >> I bought an inexpensive proctor silex unit with thermal carafe. I think
> >> it's much better than an always heating one.

> >That was what I was thinking about to replace my old coffee maker, but
> >I was gifted with a new one that was conventional... so you know what
> >your mother always said about gift horses? I did that.

> You might consider buying yourself a thermal carafe. You can get a
> 1-liter carafe for $20 or so.

I have had two thermal carafes for decades now. Just sayin' that's
what I was thinking about before the one I have was gifted to me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 11:25:52 -0400, George M. Middius
> wrote:

> sf wrote:
>
> >> French press brewers require a little more fuss. They also work better
> >> with finely ground coffee (i.e. finer than "drip" grind).

> >I think you're thinking of a different method. I know my French Press
> >specifies coarse. http://www.howtobrewcoffee.com/French.htm

> I guess I got that backward. But why does the last bit of brew contain
> all those superfine grounds?

I guess they're the grounds that got away, more importantly that's why
larger grounds are specified (so the plunger can hold them down). I'd
venture to guess also that dripping through a filter was invented to
eliminate the sludge at the bottom of the pot so "it's good to the
last drop".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 22:41:53 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 19:51:29 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 21:10:18 -0400, George M. Middius
>> > wrote:

>> >This advice is partly good and partly bad. Grinding beans right before
>> >brewing is a big plus if you care about flavor, but the brewers with
>> >built-in grinders are poor at both tasks. Plus, if the built-in
>> >grinder clogs up or otherwise becomes unusable, you're back where you
>> >started at best.
>> >

>> Grinders should really be cleaned after one or two uses. Haven't you
>> ever looked at the grinders at the store and seen all the buildup
>> around where the coffee exits? That is caused by statically charged
>> particles and oily coffee beans.
>> Janet US

>It seems like a grinder that's integrated into a coffee pot would be
>really hard to clean.

You only need to clean out the exit hole on a regular basis (on a
dedicated grinder) and that is easy to reach and do. You need to take
apart a grinder at least a half dozen times a year because fine coffee
powder gets pasted against the grinding chamber and the burr. For a
dedicated grinder, I don't find this a bad task. I have no idea about
a coffee unit with built-in grinder.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Looks like it's trollin' time again.

>What everyone on these coffee threads neglects to mention is that the
>most important aspect of brewing coffee is the water.

You must be terribly bored with life. Have you considered
auto-euthanasia?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>My sense of the whole process is that a good cuppa joe relies more on
>the coffee (and maybe the water) used than on the coffee pot. Maybe I'm
>wrong--I have pretty plebeian tastes about most things.

That describes your "sense" accurately.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>> Also, in case you didn't know: If you see an item at auction without a
>> B-I-N price, ask yourself how much you'd pay for it. Then just bid
>> that amount and forget about it until you get a "Congratulations!"
>> email from ebay.
>>

>I'm an EBay novice. Auctions charge commission or whatever they call
>it - so how much does EBay add on to the price you bid for their cut?
>What about sales tax and shipping?

The shipping cost is listed in the auction. No sales tax, period. And
all the fees are paid by the seller.

Try this:

<http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?LH_Price=..30%40c&_fln=1&LH_PrefLoc=3&_mPrR ngCbx=1&_sacat=38251&_pppn=r1&_dmpt=Small_Kitchen_ Appliances_US&Brand=AeroLatte%7CCapresso%7CCuisina rt%7CKitchenAid%7CKrups%7CMedelco%7CMelitta%7CNesp resso>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:

>You only need to clean out the exit hole on a regular basis (on a
>dedicated grinder)

Not true. You should clean the burrs every few months. They sell rice
pellets for that purpose.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 12:16:56 -0400, George M. Middius
> wrote:

>Janet Bostwick wrote:
>
>>You only need to clean out the exit hole on a regular basis (on a
>>dedicated grinder)

>Not true. You should clean the burrs every few months. They sell rice
>pellets for that purpose.

You don't read much, do you? I bet you talk over anyone trying to
talk to you too. Why don't you include my entire comment on cleaning?

"You only need to clean out the exit hole on a regular basis (on a
dedicated grinder) and that is easy to reach and do. You need to take
apart a grinder at least a half dozen times a year because fine coffee
powder gets pasted against the grinding chamber and the burr. For a
dedicated grinder, I don't find this a bad task. I have no idea about
a coffee unit with built-in grinder.
Janet US"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 11, 8:07*pm, "Jean B." > wrote:
> [...]

> > are just one hassle on top of another. *And i don't like inside parts of
> > a cooking tool i cant clean.

> > Even the simple milita (sp?) drip into a carafe type i don't care for
> > not only because i have never found a paper filter i liked using, i
> > think they all add a distasteful flavor to the coffee, and a dedicated
> > piece of raw silk! *i have to do a laundry before i can have a cuppa

> > And i cant find steel much less gold wire mesh in anything other than
> > plastic. *Now if some one would put gold mesh in a metal or even ceramic
> > cone.....

> > Or if somebody would make an all metal, no glass, French Press or
> > Mellita type drip model....i would at least give it a try.

> > As it is, dedicated water pot & coffee is all you need to brew an
> > excellent cuppa.

> > Even if i were to server the coffee formally in a silver coffee pot i
> > would brew it the same way.

> > Oh and also, and perhaps its just me, but i seem to recall the French
> > press brewing exceptionally strong cups of coffee, i think that 'press'
> > part can actually be detrimental to the flavor of coffee i prefer.

> > A good cup of coffee should taste good right out of the pot with no
> > additions of milk, cream, sugar or etc.

> > Of course, most of this has to do more with the quality of the coffee
> > than the pot it is brewed in.

> > And don't get me wrong, i routinely buy the 4 rather than the 8 - 12
> > dollar a pound ground coffee.

> > Oh dear!!!! something just occurred to me

> > I struggled not to mention it here over the last few days, it seems so
> > cliché, but, i actually went to a Trader Joe's for the first time the
> > other day

> > And, because of my new living situation grabbed a jar of their house
> > brand instant coffee (along with some marvelous buys on various cheeses,
> > *wines, crackers, sliced meats & assorted other ready to eat or drink
> > foods all remarkably reasonably priced.)

> > I used to keep a jar of the Italian Gold Medal (Medalia de Oro) instant
> > espresso around but it seemed to get very expensive a few years ago
> > (iirc) and so i had been brewing my coffee and then when i was in the
> > Joe's the other day, i was pleasantly surprised to see a jar of *house
> > brand (Trader Joe's) instant coffee and even more surprised at how good
> > it is. *At about $3 and change iirc for 3.5 ounces. I will be purchasing
> > more of it but not soon it seems to last well being used 1 tbs. at a time.
> > --
> > JL

> Thanks for that tip re TJ's coffee. *I do use the Medaglia d'Oro
> sometimes and have found it for as low as $3.39 per jar. *It is
> decent--and even more decent if you add a touch of some coffee
> that has what I call "high notes".
>
> Actually, I started using Md'O for my first cup, which I take
> pills with, figuring I wasn't savoring it that much anyway--and it
> costs far less per cup than the Keurig K-Cups do.

Are you talking about the instant espresso or something else? I use
the instant espresso for baking, but it's not very drinkable, IMO.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 12, 9:07*am, George M. Middius > wrote:
> Looks like it's trollin' time again.
>
> >What everyone on these coffee threads neglects to mention is that the
> >most important aspect of brewing coffee is the water.

> You must be terribly bored with life. Have you considered
> auto-euthanasia?

He is right...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan > wrote:
> On Sunday, March 11, 2012 9:46:57 PM UTC-5, gregz wrote:
>> I can enjoy a good cup of coffee, but I'll drink any cheap instant.

> Henceforth, you will be known to have your tongue in your asshole, and
> nothing you have to say about food will have any credibility whatsoever.
>>
>> Greg

> --Bryan

Who said you need to drink coffee for the Flavor ?

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 09:40:06 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
wrote:

>On Mar 12, 9:07*am, George M. Middius > wrote:
>> Looks like it's trollin' time again.
>>
>> >What everyone on these coffee threads neglects to mention is that the
>> >most important aspect of brewing coffee is the water.

>> You must be terribly bored with life. Have you considered
>> auto-euthanasia?

>He is right...

And Sheldon is on topic.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> I know this comes up from time to time, but what are your feelings
> about coffee makers these days? French press still seems to be a
> favorite, but what about the high end drips?
>
> Technivorm seems to have better ratings than most, but is approaching
> $300. It is made in the Netherlands though, a big plus.
> http://www.wholelattelove.com/Techni...orm_thermo.cfm
>
> Most every other brand has some good ratings, but also some really
> bad ones from people with terrible experiences.
>
> Bunn makes coffee fast, but does not seem to be hot enough for some.
>
> Mr. Coffee and Black & Decker still have $19.95 models that sell by
> the millions. Are they worth it?
>
> Has anyone had a big revelation? Such as I should have spent the
> extra money and bought xxx years ago, it is well worth the cost. Or,
> It was a waste to spend so much because the $20 Mr. C makes just a
> good a cup for a lot less.
>
> My wife mentioned that she'd like to have something other that what
> she now uses. Faster and easier to pour without spilling. Personally,
> I have a cup of tea instead.

I really like the coffee from a 30-cup Westbend electric percolator.
But that's about twice as much coffee as I need, and it doesn't brew
well unless you start it at least 2/3 full of cold water. So...

I bought an old stovetop drip coffee maker off eBay a couple of years
ago and it makes good coffee. It has a reusable metal plate with lots
of holes at the bottom rather than paper filters. Lemme see if I can
find a pic of something similar at Amazon...

Here's the closest thing I could find; on eBay instead of Amazon:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/160760041965

Mine looks just like it but makes 10 cups, or I can overfill it a little
and get 12.

-Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:

>>>You only need to clean out the exit hole on a regular basis (on a
>>>dedicated grinder)

>>Not true. You should clean the burrs every few months. They sell rice
>>pellets for that purpose.
>>

>You don't read much, do you? I bet you talk over anyone trying to
>talk to you too. Why don't you include my entire comment on cleaning?

me-OW!

>"You only need to clean out the exit hole on a regular basis (on a
>dedicated grinder) and that is easy to reach and do. You need to take
>apart a grinder at least a half dozen times a year because fine coffee
>powder gets pasted against the grinding chamber and the burr. For a
>dedicated grinder, I don't find this a bad task. I have no idea about
>a coffee unit with built-in grinder.

I snipped it because it's wrong. That's W-R-O-N-G. It's not necessary
to "take apart" a grinder in order to clean it.

Did you make even the tiniest effort to learn what I meant by "rice
pellets"?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 12:41:43 -0500, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>I bought an old stovetop drip coffee maker off eBay a couple of years
>ago and it makes good coffee. It has a reusable metal plate with lots
>of holes at the bottom rather than paper filters. Lemme see if I can
>find a pic of something similar at Amazon...
>
>Here's the closest thing I could find; on eBay instead of Amazon:
>http://www.ebay.com/itm/160760041965
>
>Mine looks just like it but makes 10 cups, or I can overfill it a little
>and get 12.
>
>-Bob

I used a coffee pot like that for years. It made great coffee, too.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 16:32:52 -0700, "Kent" >
> wrote:
>
>> I'm very fond of my Kitchenaid Pro-Line burr grinder.
>> http://www.kitchenaid.com/product/KPCG100OB.uts
>> At that price I should be. It does, however, give you a uniform grind
>> that
>> no blade grinder does. I purchased one at Costco for a very reasonable
>> price.

> I'd like to get a burr grinder someday, but not at that price - so if
> you ever stumble across one at a screaming good deal, please let me
> know!
>
> --

I will. As you probably know there are several types of burr grinders. I
have destroyed two Cuisinart burr grinders, and would not recommend it. It
has a single flat burr that wears out.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 11, 3:06*pm, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
> I know this comes up from time to time, but what are your feelings
> about coffee makers these days? *French press still seems to be a
> favorite, but what about the high end drips?
>
> Technivorm seems to have better ratings than most, but is approaching
> $300. * It is made in the Netherlands though, a big plus.http://www.wholelattelove.com/Techni...orm_thermo.cfm
>
> *Most every other brand has some good ratings, but also some really
> bad ones from people with terrible experiences.
>
> Bunn makes coffee fast, but does not seem to be hot enough for some.
>
> Mr. Coffee and Black & Decker still have $19.95 models that sell by
> the millions. *Are they worth it?
>
> Has anyone had a big revelation? *Such as I should have spent the
> extra money and bought xxx years ago, it is well worth the cost. *Or,
> It was a waste to spend so much because the $20 Mr. C makes just a
> good a cup for a lot less.
>
> My wife mentioned that she'd like to have something other that what
> she now uses. Faster and easier to pour without spilling. *Personally,
> I have a cup of tea instead.

I forgot to say that some of the best coffee I ever had was made by a
woman who ran a deli - resto once and she still used a metal vacuum
type. She knew the exact moment to do the needed operations. She's
gone now - wish I'd paid attention. She could also make a perfect 2
and a half minute egg.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-03-12, Kent > wrote:

> have destroyed two Cuisinart burr grinders, and would not recommend it. It
> has a single flat burr that wears out.

Take 'em apart and actually look at the burrs. Nothing wrong with
flat burrs, some of the best commercial grinders use them (Mazzer,
etc). OTOH, I've seen home grinders costing around $100 that
use hard plastic! flat burrs. Junk!

nb

--
Fight internet CENSORSHIP - Fight SOPA-PIPA
Contact your congressman and/or representative, now!

coffe and a cappuccino mycoolgirl General 5 21-04-2011 11:07 AM
The best coffe grinders RubyU Coffee 3 14-12-2006 05:50 PM
Vacuum Coffe Makers BrianW General Cooking 16 24-07-2006 09:26 PM
Barb's Coffe Cake !! RMiller General Cooking 8 02-09-2004 12:41 AM
Quiet coffe maker? Steve Calvin Cooking Equipment 13 04-02-2004 02:35 PM