Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dinner Tonight 3/10/2012 - Stuffed Pork Chops

I bought two 1-inch thick center cut pork chops. Pork chops don't have the
fat they used to, but IIRC this worked very well and I trim off most excess
fat anyway. I haven't made stuffed pork chops in years so when I saw these
it called out to me.

The stuffing is crumbled dried cornbread. I'll saute minced onion & celery
in a tablespoonful of butter and oil. Add that to the cornbread crumbs
along with enough chicken broth to make the stuffing very moist.

Using a sharp knife, cut a "pocket" in the chops, nearly through. Spoon the
stuffing inside. Brush the outside of the chops lightly with oil, then
sprinkle lightly with pepper, some marjoram (or oregano). Place in a baking
dish and bake at about 325F for 20-25 minutes until the pork is nicely
browned and tender. Harking back to the [canned] vegetable thread, I'll
serve this with some Allen's (brand) turnip greens.

What's on your weekened menu?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> I bought two 1-inch thick center cut pork chops. Pork chops don't have the
> fat they used to, but IIRC this worked very well and I trim off most excess
> fat anyway. I haven't made stuffed pork chops in years so when I saw these
> it called out to me.
>
> The stuffing is crumbled dried cornbread. I'll saute minced onion & celery
> in a tablespoonful of butter and oil. Add that to the cornbread crumbs
> along with enough chicken broth to make the stuffing very moist.
>
> Using a sharp knife, cut a "pocket" in the chops, nearly through. Spoon the
> stuffing inside. Brush the outside of the chops lightly with oil, then
> sprinkle lightly with pepper, some marjoram (or oregano). Place in a baking
> dish and bake at about 325F for 20-25 minutes until the pork is nicely
> browned and tender. Harking back to the [canned] vegetable thread, I'll
> serve this with some Allen's (brand) turnip greens.

So....what time is dinner, Jill?
I've done stuffed steaks before with a sauce spooned over. Saw it on "Great
Chefs" show once. It also turned out very well.
Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 Mar 2012 09:50:33 -0500, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>I bought two 1-inch thick center cut pork chops. Pork chops don't have the
>fat they used to, but IIRC this worked very well and I trim off most excess
>fat anyway. I haven't made stuffed pork chops in years so when I saw these
>it called out to me.
>
>The stuffing is crumbled dried cornbread. I'll saute minced onion & celery
>in a tablespoonful of butter and oil. Add that to the cornbread crumbs
>along with enough chicken broth to make the stuffing very moist.
>
>Using a sharp knife, cut a "pocket" in the chops, nearly through. Spoon the
>stuffing inside. Brush the outside of the chops lightly with oil, then
>sprinkle lightly with pepper, some marjoram (or oregano). Place in a baking
>dish and bake at about 325F for 20-25 minutes until the pork is nicely
>browned and tender. Harking back to the [canned] vegetable thread, I'll
>serve this with some Allen's (brand) turnip greens.
>
>What's on your weekened menu?
>
>Jill

Sounds really good. Do you think 20-25 min will be enough time to
cook the pork from raw, especially when it is stuffed? Don't know,
just wondering. When I have a 1-inch thick pork chop that I have
browned one side in a skillet, on stove top, it takes about 7 min to
finish in the oven at 350F. Let me know. I'll let you do the testing
and then I will do stuffed chops either tomorrow or Monday. Deal???
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 10 Mar 2012 09:50:33 -0500, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
>>I bought two 1-inch thick center cut pork chops. Pork chops don't have
>>the
>>fat they used to, but IIRC this worked very well and I trim off most
>>excess
>>fat anyway. I haven't made stuffed pork chops in years so when I saw
>>these
>>it called out to me.
>>
>>The stuffing is crumbled dried cornbread. I'll saute minced onion &
>>celery
>>in a tablespoonful of butter and oil. Add that to the cornbread crumbs
>>along with enough chicken broth to make the stuffing very moist.
>>
>>Using a sharp knife, cut a "pocket" in the chops, nearly through. Spoon
>>the
>>stuffing inside. Brush the outside of the chops lightly with oil, then
>>sprinkle lightly with pepper, some marjoram (or oregano). Place in a
>>baking
>>dish and bake at about 325F for 20-25 minutes until the pork is nicely
>>browned and tender. Harking back to the [canned] vegetable thread, I'll
>>serve this with some Allen's (brand) turnip greens.
>>
>>What's on your weekened menu?
>>
>>Jill

> Sounds really good. Do you think 20-25 min will be enough time to
> cook the pork from raw, especially when it is stuffed? Don't know,
> just wondering. When I have a 1-inch thick pork chop that I have
> browned one side in a skillet, on stove top, it takes about 7 min to
> finish in the oven at 350F. Let me know. I'll let you do the testing
> and then I will do stuffed chops either tomorrow or Monday. Deal???
> Janet US

The stuffing is already cooked. I did forget to mention I also heat the
chicken broth then melt about about 1 Tbs. butter before mixing it with the
sauteed vegetables. Toss that all together with the stuffing crumbs until
moist.

I don't adhere to the "pork must be cooked well done" rule. I like mine
still a little bit pink... about 145F (if you're using a thermometer, which
I'm not). Yes, 20-25 minutes should suffice. It does depend on your oven.
I've got a very old oven so at 20 minutes I poke the chops with a fork to
see if they're done. Obviously you don't want blood running out of the
chops! But I do want them tender and still juicy. So add another 5-10
minutes depending upon your oven temp.

As I said, I haven't made these in years. But I don't believe I've
forgotten how

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 Mar 2012 10:59:47 -0500, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

snip

>I don't adhere to the "pork must be cooked well done" rule. I like mine
>still a little bit pink... about 145F (if you're using a thermometer, which
>I'm not). Yes, 20-25 minutes should suffice. It does depend on your oven.
>I've got a very old oven so at 20 minutes I poke the chops with a fork to
>see if they're done. Obviously you don't want blood running out of the
>chops! But I do want them tender and still juicy. So add another 5-10
>minutes depending upon your oven temp.
>
>As I said, I haven't made these in years. But I don't believe I've
>forgotten how
>
>Jill

I go for the same temp and I do use a thermometer. I want pork juicy
and just the faintest suggestion of maybe pink.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> I bought two 1-inch thick center cut pork chops. Pork chops don't have the
> fat they used to, but IIRC this worked very well and I trim off most excess
> fat anyway. I haven't made stuffed pork chops in years so when I saw these
> it called out to me.

I saw some extra thick pork chops in the butcher case the last time I
shopped and had the same thought; but I had enough food already so
I'll get some the next time I see them.

> What's on your weekened menu?

I'm spending the day showing an rfc old timer around town, so we'll
have dinner out today. I have the fixings for Joe's Special in the
refrigerator and a whole chicken (they were 89 a pound) that I'll
figure out how to use later.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 Mar 2012 11:07:10 -0800, sf > wrote:

snip
I have the fixings for Joe's Special in the
>refrigerator and a whole chicken (they were 89 a pound) that I'll
>figure out how to use later.

Around here the chicken is always 89/lb at Winco. Do you have a Winco
within your shopping distance?
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Il 10/03/2012 15:50, jmcquown ha scritto:

> I bought two 1-inch thick center cut pork chops. Pork chops don't have
> the fat they used to, but IIRC this worked very well and I trim off most
> excess fat anyway. I haven't made stuffed pork chops in years so when I
> saw these it called out to me.

I was going to make something not too different, saltimbocca alla
romana, but then I didn't find sage and had to give that up. In 15
minutes I'll be at a nearby pizzeria for a half sized gorgonzola pizza.
--
Vilco
And the Family Stone
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 Mar 2012 12:17:01 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Mar 2012 11:07:10 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
> snip
> I have the fixings for Joe's Special in the
> >refrigerator and a whole chicken (they were 89 a pound) that I'll
> >figure out how to use later.

> Around here the chicken is always 89/lb at Winco. Do you have a Winco
> within your shopping distance?

No. Lucky you!

Dinner Tonight 3/25/2012 jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 4 26-03-2012 11:07 PM
Stuffed Pork Chops jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 5 27-10-2008 09:57 PM
Stuffed Pork Chops Duckie Recipes 0 15-01-2006 12:49 AM
dinner tonight, pork chops with spinach aem General Cooking 0 09-03-2005 03:18 AM
Dinner Tonight - Pork Chops in Cream Sauce w/Almonds Gal Called J.J. General Cooking 0 07-01-2005 02:13 AM