Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default "PINK SLIME"

Yoose still want to eat mystery meat:
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...ns-pink-slime/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 11:23:57 -0500, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

>Yoose still want to eat mystery meat:
>http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...ns-pink-slime/

Does anybody have a recommendation for a good meat grinder?

Any references techniques, "how to"?

It's national news now, 2 nights in a row.

Thanks a heap,
-Zz
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 18:11:40 -0800, Zz Yzx >
wrote:

>On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 11:23:57 -0500, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>
>>Yoose still want to eat mystery meat:
>>http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...ns-pink-slime/

>Does anybody have a recommendation for a good meat grinder?
>
>Any references techniques, "how to"?
>
>It's national news now, 2 nights in a row.
>
>Thanks a heap,
>-Zz

This looks like a winner:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...h-All+Products
A great price for this unit:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...h-All+Products
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/8/2012 9:23 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Yoose still want to eat mystery meat:
> http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...ns-pink-slime/

Nonsense like this is only part of the reason I started grinding my own
beef a couple of years ago. I just like the idea of actually getting the
meat I want for a dish, instead of random scraps and trim with a
percentage of fat added back. I missed the good old days when ground
chuck was ground chuck and round was round. With a grinder, I have that
again plus I can trim out the worst of the fat and gristly bits myself.

I can also do excellent ground chicken and pork, as much as I want
exactly when I want it.

Real scratch cooking has definite advantages.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Yoose still want to eat mystery meat:
> http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...ns-pink-slime/

Not even what appear to be solid pieces of meat are safe:

<http://consumerist.com/2012/02/whats...lue-steak.html

or

http://tinyurl.com/6v8evzw

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/8/2012 9:31 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 20:03:23 -0700, Pennyaline wrote:
>
>> On 3/8/2012 9:23 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>> Yoose still want to eat mystery meat:
>>> http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...ns-pink-slime/

>> Nonsense like this is only part of the reason I started grinding my own
>> beef a couple of years ago. I just like the idea of actually getting the
>> meat I want for a dish, instead of random scraps and trim with a
>> percentage of fat added back. I missed the good old days when ground
>> chuck was ground chuck and round was round.

> Is still is. It's the difference between "Ground beef" and
> "hamburger". Hamburger is the lesser product with added fat.

It still is, depending on where one is shopping and what's available at
local stores. For a while, all the stores here were carrying were those
opaque plastic-wrapped bats of ground beef of various fat percentages,
supplemented by 1/3 - 3/4 pound cling wrapped packs of chi-chi Angus
ground beef. The only affordable choice from that were the bats, and
that's not nearly good enough for me. What we have now is all called
ground beef with fat added back. There is no guarantee about its origin
other than bovine, no true indication of which primal claims provenance.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/8/2012 8:22 PM, Jean B. wrote:
> Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> Yoose still want to eat mystery meat:
>> http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...ns-pink-slime/
>>

> Not even what appear to be solid pieces of meat are safe:
>
> <http://consumerist.com/2012/02/whats...lue-steak.html
>

> or
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6v8evzw

This isn't nearly as nefarious as the report (and the accompanying
music!) make it seem. I don't have a huge problem with this as long as
the store/restaurant/facility that's selling it/serving it tells me that
this is what it really is. In truth, the results they were showing in
the report looked pretty good.

But then, I like Spam, black pudding and head cheese, so...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/8/2012 11:23 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Yoose still want to eat mystery meat:
> http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...ns-pink-slime/

What is your point? You are the cheerleader for walmart and hillsure?

I know where to buy products that don't feature pink slime.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 8 Mar 2012 22:29:42 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>> On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 11:23:57 -0500, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>>
>>>Yoose still want to eat mystery meat:
>>>http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...ns-pink-slime/

>Of course my grocery store (HEB) was one of the first and only
>respondents stating they don't use Pink Slime - which is exactly what
>I have come to expect of them.

You actually expect them to admit they are selling shit, how naive.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 8 Mar 2012 22:31:00 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 20:03:23 -0700, Pennyaline wrote:
>
>> On 3/8/2012 9:23 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>> Yoose still want to eat mystery meat:
>>> http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...ns-pink-slime/

>> Nonsense like this is only part of the reason I started grinding my own
>> beef a couple of years ago. I just like the idea of actually getting the
>> meat I want for a dish, instead of random scraps and trim with a
>> percentage of fat added back. I missed the good old days when ground
>> chuck was ground chuck and round was round.

>Is still is. It's the difference between "Ground beef" and
>"hamburger". Hamburger is the lesser product with added fat.

Bullshit!

That's not true... retailers do not label their ground beef
"hamburger". Hamburger is a colloquialism that some folks use for
all ground meat. Hamburger is actually a particular cooked dish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 8, 11:23*am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> Yoose still want to eat mystery meat:http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...t-of-ground-be...

I think I'm going to buy stock in some meat grinder companies. Hey,
maybe the fast food jernts have been dealt a deathblow at last.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 8, 10:03*pm, Pennyaline >
wrote:
> On 3/8/2012 9:23 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
> > Yoose still want to eat mystery meat:
> >http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...t-of-ground-be...

> Nonsense like this is only part of the reason I started grinding my own
> beef a couple of years ago.

So, what cuts do you buy and what grinder do you own? 'Just the
facts, ma'am.'
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/8/2012 9:11 PM, Zz Yzx wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 11:23:57 -0500, Brooklyn1<Gravesend1> wrote:
>
>> Yoose still want to eat mystery meat:
>> http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...ns-pink-slime/

> Does anybody have a recommendation for a good meat grinder?

I use the attachment to my Mixmaster, but I've seen some clamp-on
hand-cranked ones for sale on eBay. Most of those won't fit onto a
counter top. If I were looking to buy, I'd consider the "Back to Basics"
machine at http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/mea...ders_food.aspx

Jerry
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/9/2012 1:35 AM, Pennyaline wrote:
> On 3/8/2012 9:31 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

>>> Nonsense like this is only part of the reason I started grinding my own
>>> beef a couple of years ago. I just like the idea of actually getting the
>>> meat I want for a dish, instead of random scraps and trim with a
>>> percentage of fat added back. I missed the good old days when ground
>>> chuck was ground chuck and round was round.

>> Is still is. It's the difference between "Ground beef" and
>> "hamburger". Hamburger is the lesser product with added fat.

> It still is, depending on where one is shopping and what's available at
> local stores. For a while, all the stores here were carrying were those
> opaque plastic-wrapped bats of ground beef of various fat percentages,
> supplemented by 1/3 - 3/4 pound cling wrapped packs of chi-chi Angus
> ground beef. The only affordable choice from that were the bats, and
> that's not nearly good enough for me. What we have now is all called
> ground beef with fat added back. There is no guarantee about its origin
> other than bovine, no true indication of which primal claims provenance.

I'm with you, lady. The only chopped meat I have bought for years has
been sausage and the occasional restaurant hamburger. (One restaurant
gets its meat from a non-chain butcher who grinds it to order.)

Jerry
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/9/2012 8:59 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 23:35:43 -0700, Pennyaline wrote:
>
>> On 3/8/2012 9:31 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

>>> Is still is. It's the difference between "Ground beef" and
>>> "hamburger". Hamburger is the lesser product with added fat.

>> It still is, depending on where one is shopping and what's available at
>> local stores. For a while, all the stores here were carrying were those
>> opaque plastic-wrapped bats of ground beef of various fat percentages,
>> supplemented by 1/3 - 3/4 pound cling wrapped packs of chi-chi Angus
>> ground beef. The only affordable choice from that were the bats, and
>> that's not nearly good enough for me. What we have now is all called
>> ground beef with fat added back.

> OK, since you won't take my word for it, then read the USDA site:

It's not a matter of taking your word for it. I'm telling you it depends
on what's being sold in the stores. This is what our local stores were
and are carrying. Why does that threaten you?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/9/2012 9:00 AM, Kalmia wrote:
> On Mar 8, 10:03 pm, >
> wrote:
>> On 3/8/2012 9:23 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>>> Yoose still want to eat mystery meat:
>>> http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...t-of-ground-be...

>> Nonsense like this is only part of the reason I started grinding my own
>> beef a couple of years ago.
>>

> So, what cuts do you buy and what grinder do you own? 'Just the
> facts, ma'am.'

When I want chuck, I buy chuck and trim out heavy fat and gristle areas.
When I want round, I buy round. I can get the cuts of chicken, pork and
turkey that I want and don't have to rely on whatever it is that gets
put in the package that day. I can grind as coarse or as fine as I
desire without having to find someone in the meat department to do it
for me (and they act like you're being a naughty child when you ask for
something at every store these days--it broke my heart when the last
local meat market closed its doors earlier this year). My grinder is an
older Kitchen Aid attachment (old enough to have the wooden pusher). It
does fine for the amount of grinding I do. If I was grinding tons of
meat to stock the freezer or make huge pans of lasagna or some other
dish calling for a load of ground meat, as good as Kitchen Aids are, it
wouldn't be nearly sufficient to do the task all in one go.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/9/2012 8:56 AM, Kalmia wrote:
> On Mar 8, 11:23 am, Brooklyn1<Gravesend1> wrote:
>> Yoose still want to eat mystery meat:http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...t-of-ground-be...

> Hey, maybe the fast food jernts have been dealt a deathblow at last.

You understand that there are people who don't care, right? I tell my
daughter about this stuff, and she just shrugs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 9 Mar 2012 08:00:23 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> wrote:

>On Mar 8, 10:03*pm, Pennyaline >
>wrote:
>> On 3/8/2012 9:23 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>> > Yoose still want to eat mystery meat:
>> >http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...t-of-ground-be...

>> Nonsense like this is only part of the reason I started grinding my own
>> beef a couple of years ago.
>>

>So, what cuts do you buy and what grinder do you own? 'Just the
>facts, ma'am.'

Buy whichever cuts appeal... I buy roasts when on sale and grind
those... top round makes a very good burger or for anything else one
would want ground beef. For grinders I think Cabelas.com has the best
selection... I recommend getting something large enough that you won't
be disappointed, small grinders smear and ruin perfectly good meat.
Don't even think about a manual grinder if you value your fingers.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 09 Mar 2012 10:37:04 -0700, Pennyaline
> wrote:

>On 3/9/2012 8:56 AM, Kalmia wrote:
>> On Mar 8, 11:23 am, Brooklyn1<Gravesend1> wrote:
>>> Yoose still want to eat mystery meat:http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...t-of-ground-be...

>> Hey, maybe the fast food jernts have been dealt a deathblow at last.

>You understand that there are people who don't care, right?

I think those of who do care are in the minority.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Zz Yzx > wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 11:23:57 -0500, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>
>> Yoose still want to eat mystery meat:
>> http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...ns-pink-slime/

> Does anybody have a recommendation for a good meat grinder?
>
> Any references techniques, "how to"?
>
> It's national news now, 2 nights in a row.
>
> Thanks a heap,
> -Zz

The video emphasizes it as lean ground meat. They don't say anything about
the fattier blends. Lean blends need a binder ? Pink slime ? I always buy
80 % but have not seen fattier blends for years.

Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/9/2012 7:00 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

> So you snipped my proof of what I was saying and then go off on some
> undecipherable tangent to try and deflect this "conversation"?

You shouldn't worry about what got snipped because you didn't have
anything to prove. I'm telling you what the stores here had. It was not
any attempt at conversation. It was statement of fact. If you can't take
that as anything but a personal indictment, it's your problem.

> There is nothing called "GROUND BEEF" that has added fat (legally).
> Any ground beef that has added fat is called "HAMBURGER". Plain and
> simple. Look at your labels.

I did, and told you what was on them. Again, if you can't except that,
it's on you.

> <boggle> I think that you think that I threaten you.

I think that you give yourself too much credit.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 9, 7:44*am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Mar 2012 22:31:00 -0600, Sqwertz >
> wrote:

> >> Nonsense like this is only part of the reason I started grinding my own
> >> beef a couple of years ago. I just like the idea of actually getting the
> >> meat I want for a dish, instead of random scraps and trim with a
> >> percentage of fat added back. I missed the good old days when ground
> >> chuck was ground chuck and round was round.

> >Is still is. *It's the difference between "Ground beef" and
> >"hamburger". *Hamburger is the lesser product with added fat.

> Bullshit!
>
> That's not true... retailers do not label their ground beef
> "hamburger". * Hamburger is a colloquialism that some folks use for
> all ground meat. *Hamburger is actually a particular cooked dish.

The stopped clock is correct. The only time I've ever seen "hamburger"
in a grocery was to label preformed patties.

There are some trimmings (e.g. from the plate) that add flavor to
chuck or round -- that's the only reason to buy store-ground beef.
People who buy beef ground by purveyors (chub ground beef) are
literally taking their lives in their hands.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 9, 8:17*am, Jerry Avins > wrote:
> On 3/8/2012 9:11 PM, Zz Yzx wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 11:23:57 -0500, Brooklyn1<Gravesend1> *wrote:

> >> Yoose still want to eat mystery meat:
> >>http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...t-of-ground-be....

> > Does anybody have a recommendation for a good meat grinder?

> I use the attachment to my Mixmaster, but I've seen some clamp-on
> hand-cranked ones for sale on eBay. Most of those won't fit onto a
> counter top. If I were looking to buy, I'd consider the "Back to Basics"
> machine athttp://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/meat_grinders_food.aspx

That Rytek Kutas sausage making book blurbed under the grinder is
great.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pennyaline wrote:
> On 3/8/2012 8:22 PM, Jean B. wrote:
>> Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>> Yoose still want to eat mystery meat:
>>> http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...ns-pink-slime/
>>>

>> Not even what appear to be solid pieces of meat are safe:
>>
>> <http://consumerist.com/2012/02/whats...lue-steak.html
>>

>> or
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/6v8evzw

> This isn't nearly as nefarious as the report (and the accompanying
> music!) make it seem. I don't have a huge problem with this as long as
> the store/restaurant/facility that's selling it/serving it tells me that
> this is what it really is. In truth, the results they were showing in
> the report looked pretty good.
>
> But then, I like Spam, black pudding and head cheese, so...

But do they tell people? It seems to me this is geared toward
deception. And what about contaminant being distributed
throughout the meat, and the presence of pork products?

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:
> On Mar 8, 11:23 am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>> Yoose still want to eat mystery meat:http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...t-of-ground-be...

> I think I'm going to buy stock in some meat grinder companies. Hey,
> maybe the fast food jernts have been dealt a deathblow at last.

Heh! I just got another antique food chopper yesterday.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > wrote:

>Pennyaline wrote:

-snip-
>But do they tell people?

No-- and the USDA says they don't have to.

>It seems to me this is geared toward
>deception. And what about contaminant being distributed
>throughout the meat, and the presence of pork products?

Not to worry-- they wash the bits in ammonia before rendering.<g>
How could anything go wrong with that?

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/11/2012 10:26 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> "Jean > wrote:
>
>> Pennyaline wrote:

> -snip-
>> But do they tell people?

> No-- and the USDA says they don't have to.
>
>> It seems to me this is geared toward
>> deception. And what about contaminant being distributed
>> throughout the meat, and the presence of pork products?

> Not to worry-- they wash the bits in ammonia before rendering.<g>
> How could anything go wrong with that?

Jim, this time we're talking about the re-"glued" meat cuts, not the
pink slime.

Back to pink slime for a moment though: nowadays most people don't
realize that what's being rendered and formed into pink slime are scraps
that used to be eaten ground up and reformed beyond recognition anyway,
in the form of sausages and forced meats. People knew then that they
were eating it, and they ate it because it was meat that shouldn't be
wasted. Those cuts and scraps didn't become "only good for dog food"
until we entered a somewhat more affluent age as well as the supermarket
age. That said, although we ate them, we didn't eat them off the floor
and were more demanding about how the meat we were going to eat was
handled. We're not demanding anymore because, as far as we're concerned,
we're not going to eat that. Off the floor is good enough for the dog.
So now what we are facing essentially is our nemesis--the payback for
all of our years of wasteful haughty hubris.