Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Catfish!

I haven't seen catfish fillets since I left the Memphis area in 2008.
Publix has some fresh (not previously frozen) fillets for $6.99/lb.
Wonderful! I'm heading off to buy a couple of pounds. I'm going to make
Catfish Acadian, recipe courtesy of the Bayou Bar & Grill in midtown
Memphis. I have frozen crawfish tail-meat in the freezer... it's thawing
now.

Catfish Acadian

2 lbs. catfish fillets (or any mild white fish)
seasoned flour
olive oil
butter
diced onions and garlic or shallots
diced bell pepper
diced celery
1/2 crawfish tail meat
whole cream as needed
Salt & cayenne pepper to taste

Lightly coat the catfish fillets in seasoned flour. Pan fry in oil until
lightly browned. Plate and hold in a warm oven. In another pan, sauté the
onion and garlic (or shallots) with the bell pepper and celery until soft
and translucent. Add the crawfish tail meat and shrimp and sauté until just
pink. Stir in some cream. Season with salt and a little cayenne pepper.
Pour this mixture over the fish and serve.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 2, 9:58*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> I haven't seen catfish fillets since I left the Memphis area in 2008.
> Publix has some fresh (not previously frozen) fillets for $6.99/lb.
> Wonderful! *I'm heading off to buy a couple of pounds. *I'm going to make
> Catfish Acadian, recipe courtesy of the Bayou Bar & Grill in midtown
> Memphis. *I have frozen crawfish tail-meat in the freezer... it's thawing
> now.
>
> Catfish Acadian
>
> 2 lbs. catfish fillets (or any mild white fish)
> seasoned flour
> olive oil
> butter
> diced onions and garlic or shallots
> diced bell pepper
> diced celery
> 1/2 crawfish tail meat
> whole cream as needed
> Salt & cayenne pepper to taste
>
> Lightly coat the catfish fillets in seasoned flour. *Pan fry in oil until
> lightly browned. *Plate and hold in a warm oven. *In another pan, sauté the
> onion and garlic (or shallots) with the bell pepper and celery until soft
> and translucent. *Add the crawfish tail meat and shrimp and sauté until just
> pink. *Stir in some cream. *Season with salt and a little cayenne pepper.
> Pour this mixture over the fish and serve.
>
> Jill

Damn, I love catfish.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 2 Mar 2012 11:00:54 -0800 (PST), Chemo the Clown
> wrote:

> Damn, I love catfish.

Me too. And add cod to that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 02/03/2012 2:13 PM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Mar 2012 11:00:54 -0800 (PST), Chemo the Clown
> > wrote:
>
>> Damn, I love catfish.

> Me too. And add cod to that.

I should buy more cod. I had it several times when I was a kid, and it
was always froze, nor fresh. My mother was not very good with fish, so
it was never very good. Then one year I was on vacation on the east
coast and camping near Louisburg on Cape Breton. The guy at he next
campsite brought over some cod he had cooked. He had picked it up fresh
caught at the fishing dock in town, cut it up, dredged it in season
flour and fried it. It was wonderful. I would never have thought that
cod could be so good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
news
> On Fri, 2 Mar 2012 11:00:54 -0800 (PST), Chemo the Clown
> > wrote:
>
>> Damn, I love catfish.

> Me too. And add cod to that.

I adore cod for battered fish & chips once in a blue moon. Too bad I can't
find a restaurant that serves that here

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
om...
> On 02/03/2012 2:13 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Fri, 2 Mar 2012 11:00:54 -0800 (PST), Chemo the Clown
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Damn, I love catfish.

>> Me too. And add cod to that.
>>

> I should buy more cod. I had it several times when I was a kid, and it
> was always froze, nor fresh. My mother was not very good with fish, so it
> was never very good. Then one year I was on vacation on the east coast
> and camping near Louisburg on Cape Breton. The guy at he next campsite
> brought over some cod he had cooked. He had picked it up fresh caught at
> the fishing dock in town, cut it up, dredged it in season flour and fried
> it. It was wonderful. I would never have thought that cod could be so
> good.

Yeah, it's great when it's fresh, not previously frozen. I don't mind
frozen fish if that's what you expect to get. I'm used to that. But I saw
some previously frozen lobster tails and scallops and they were obviously
freezer burned. Granted, these aren't the waters for fresh lobster or fresh
scallops. But they were on display and had been stored improperly. The
freezer burn was obvious. I'm used to/expect better from Publix.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> I haven't seen catfish fillets since I left the Memphis area in 2008.
> Publix has some fresh (not previously frozen) fillets for $6.99/lb.
> Wonderful! I'm heading off to buy a couple of pounds. I'm going to make
> Catfish Acadian, recipe courtesy of the Bayou Bar & Grill in midtown
> Memphis. I have frozen crawfish tail-meat in the freezer... it's thawing
> now.
>
> Catfish Acadian
>
> 2 lbs. catfish fillets (or any mild white fish)
> seasoned flour
> olive oil
> butter
> diced onions and garlic or shallots
> diced bell pepper
> diced celery
> 1/2 crawfish tail meat
> whole cream as needed
> Salt & cayenne pepper to taste
>
> Lightly coat the catfish fillets in seasoned flour. Pan fry in oil until
> lightly browned. Plate and hold in a warm oven. In another pan, sauté the
> onion and garlic (or shallots) with the bell pepper and celery until soft
> and translucent. Add the crawfish tail meat and shrimp and sauté until just
> pink. Stir in some cream. Season with salt and a little cayenne pepper.
> Pour this mixture over the fish and serve.
>
> Jill

The recipe sounds good, but beware the crawfish tails from China, they
aren't fit to use as fish food. The crawfish tails from LA are fine but
$$$.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 2, 12:17*pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> "sf" > wrote in message
>
> news >
> > On Fri, 2 Mar 2012 11:00:54 -0800 (PST), Chemo the Clown
> > > wrote:

> >> Damn, I love catfish.

> > Me too. *And add cod to that.

> I adore cod for battered fish & chips once in a blue moon. *Too bad I can't
> find a restaurant that serves that here
>
> Jill

That's what we have out here on the west coast- halibut also.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Mar 2, 9:58*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> I haven't seen catfish fillets since I left the Memphis area in 2008.
> Publix has some fresh (not previously frozen) fillets for $6.99/lb.
> Wonderful! *I'm heading off to buy a couple of pounds. *I'm going to make
> Catfish Acadian, recipe courtesy of the Bayou Bar & Grill in midtown
> Memphis. *I have frozen crawfish tail-meat in the freezer... it's thawing
> now.
>
> Catfish Acadian
>
> 2 lbs. catfish fillets (or any mild white fish)
> seasoned flour
> olive oil
> butter
> diced onions and garlic or shallots
> diced bell pepper
> diced celery
> 1/2 crawfish tail meat
> whole cream as needed
> Salt & cayenne pepper to taste
>
> Lightly coat the catfish fillets in seasoned flour. *Pan fry in oil until
> lightly browned. *Plate and hold in a warm oven. *In another pan, sauté the
> onion and garlic (or shallots) with the bell pepper and celery until soft
> and translucent. *Add the crawfish tail meat and shrimp and sauté until just
> pink. *Stir in some cream. *Season with salt and a little cayenne pepper.
> Pour this mixture over the fish and serve.
>
> Jill

You can use that recipe with redfish or any good white fish. You can
also substitute shrimp for the crawfish tail meat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." wrote:

> The recipe sounds good, but beware the crawfish tails from China, they
> aren't fit to use as fish food.

I totally agree with you. The one time i've tried crawfish, they came from
China and were all dried out and freezer burned. I didn't get to taste them
except for one bite of seafood leather. >:-O

Gary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." > wrote in message
. com...

> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> I haven't seen catfish fillets since I left the Memphis area in 2008.
>> Publix has some fresh (not previously frozen) fillets for $6.99/lb.
>> Wonderful! I'm heading off to buy a couple of pounds. I'm going to make
>> Catfish Acadian, recipe courtesy of the Bayou Bar & Grill in midtown
>> Memphis. I have frozen crawfish tail-meat in the freezer... it's thawing
>> now.
>>
>> Catfish Acadian
>>
>> 2 lbs. catfish fillets (or any mild white fish)
>> seasoned flour
>> olive oil
>> butter
>> diced onions and garlic or shallots
>> diced bell pepper
>> diced celery
>> 1/2 crawfish tail meat
>> whole cream as needed
>> Salt & cayenne pepper to taste
>>
>> Lightly coat the catfish fillets in seasoned flour. Pan fry in oil until
>> lightly browned. Plate and hold in a warm oven. In another pan, sauté
>> the
>> onion and garlic (or shallots) with the bell pepper and celery until soft
>> and translucent. Add the crawfish tail meat and shrimp and sauté until
>> just
>> pink. Stir in some cream. Season with salt and a little cayenne pepper.
>> Pour this mixture over the fish and serve.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> The recipe sounds good, but beware the crawfish tails from China, they
> aren't fit to use as fish food. The crawfish tails from LA are fine but
> $$$.

I hate to disillusion you but the package says the crawfish tail meat is a
product of Spain. And they weren't cheap. I rarely splurge on something
like this, but I'll get several meals out of the package.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 02 Mar 2012 14:20:48 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 02/03/2012 2:13 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Fri, 2 Mar 2012 11:00:54 -0800 (PST), Chemo the Clown
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> Damn, I love catfish.

> > Me too. And add cod to that.
> >

> I should buy more cod. I had it several times when I was a kid, and it
> was always froze, nor fresh. My mother was not very good with fish, so
> it was never very good. Then one year I was on vacation on the east
> coast and camping near Louisburg on Cape Breton. The guy at he next
> campsite brought over some cod he had cooked. He had picked it up fresh
> caught at the fishing dock in town, cut it up, dredged it in season
> flour and fried it. It was wonderful. I would never have thought that
> cod could be so good.

When fish & chips shops were all the rage back during "the British
invasion" (Beatles era), I thought cod made the *best* fish & chips.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 2 Mar 2012 15:17:41 -0500, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

> I adore cod for battered fish & chips once in a blue moon.

Great minds!

> Too bad I can't find a restaurant that serves that here

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I love catfish. I have never cooked it at home, but I love to get it
at a meat-and-three restaurant with hush puppies and cole slaw.
Tabasco on the side.

When I was little, we would go to a restaurant that I think was called
Shaw's Catfish. Grownups would get whole fried catfish and I would
eat the crunchy tails. I would get a catfish burger. The place had
an indoor stream with catfish swimming around. You could walk over a
bridge and watch the catfish. I thought this was the fanciest
restaurant ever.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>> Damn, I love catfish.

> Me too. And add cod to that.

The unwashed masses can keep their corned beef; I'm cooking cod for St.
Patrick's Day this year.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> "Pete C." > wrote in message
> . com...
> >
> > jmcquown wrote:
> >>
> >> I haven't seen catfish fillets since I left the Memphis area in 2008.
> >> Publix has some fresh (not previously frozen) fillets for $6.99/lb.
> >> Wonderful! I'm heading off to buy a couple of pounds. I'm going to make
> >> Catfish Acadian, recipe courtesy of the Bayou Bar & Grill in midtown
> >> Memphis. I have frozen crawfish tail-meat in the freezer... it's thawing
> >> now.
> >>
> >> Catfish Acadian
> >>
> >> 2 lbs. catfish fillets (or any mild white fish)
> >> seasoned flour
> >> olive oil
> >> butter
> >> diced onions and garlic or shallots
> >> diced bell pepper
> >> diced celery
> >> 1/2 crawfish tail meat
> >> whole cream as needed
> >> Salt & cayenne pepper to taste
> >>
> >> Lightly coat the catfish fillets in seasoned flour. Pan fry in oil until
> >> lightly browned. Plate and hold in a warm oven. In another pan, sauté
> >> the
> >> onion and garlic (or shallots) with the bell pepper and celery until soft
> >> and translucent. Add the crawfish tail meat and shrimp and sauté until
> >> just
> >> pink. Stir in some cream. Season with salt and a little cayenne pepper.
> >> Pour this mixture over the fish and serve.
> >>
> >> Jill
> >>

> > The recipe sounds good, but beware the crawfish tails from China, they
> > aren't fit to use as fish food. The crawfish tails from LA are fine but
> > $$$.

> I hate to disillusion you but the package says the crawfish tail meat is a
> product of Spain. And they weren't cheap. I rarely splurge on something
> like this, but I'll get several meals out of the package.
>
> Jill

Spain is probably fine as well. The Beaudraux's (sp?) brand commonly
found frozen in stores is from China and is crap. Other brands from more
reputable places are likely to be ok and 4X the price.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tara > wrote:
> I love catfish. I have never cooked it at home, but I love to get it
> at a meat-and-three restaurant with hush puppies and cole slaw.
> Tabasco on the side.
>
> When I was little, we would go to a restaurant that I think was called
> Shaw's Catfish. Grownups would get whole fried catfish and I would
> eat the crunchy tails. I would get a catfish burger. The place had
> an indoor stream with catfish swimming around. You could walk over a
> bridge and watch the catfish. I thought this was the fanciest
> restaurant ever.
>
> Tara

I was on TDY at ft. Hood for a remote aircraft demo. One of the guys was
American Indian decent. He was from the area. His father took us out to
Belton lake. We caught catfish and bass that day. In the evening we had a
fantastic fish cook. I don't remember how they were fixed, but they were
great. I have never ate catfish, carp, or suckers from my area, probably
never will. Even the walleye have suggested eating limits, darn chemicals.
All the restaurant catfish are razor thin I get. Almost half breading.

I got talapia and steelhead in the freezer, but they are a year old. Think
they are ok ??

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> news
>> On Fri, 2 Mar 2012 11:00:54 -0800 (PST), Chemo the Clown
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Damn, I love catfish.

>> Me too. And add cod to that.
>>

> I adore cod for battered fish & chips once in a blue moon. Too bad I can't
> find a restaurant that serves that here
>
> Jill

you're a long ways from Seattle...this place has more fish & chips than
anywhere else I've been

I am not complaining...but a few more good taquerias would be nice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

tert in seattle > wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> news
>>> On Fri, 2 Mar 2012 11:00:54 -0800 (PST), Chemo the Clown

>>> Me too. And add cod to that.
>>>

>> I adore cod for battered fish & chips once in a blue moon. Too bad I can't
>> find a restaurant that serves that here
>>
>> Jill

> you're a long ways from Seattle...this place has more fish & chips than
> anywhere else I've been
>
> I am not complaining...but a few more good taquerias would be nice

Especially this time of year, we got hundreds of places serving cod fish
sandwiches. Many of them are good for two people.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article m>,
Bob Terwilliger > wrote:

> The unwashed masses can keep their corned beef; I'm cooking cod for St.
> Patrick's Day this year.

Sputter! Saint Pat's is the only time I can afford corned beef. I buy
two and eat them six months apart. I have a November turkey breast in
the freezer waiting for May.

leo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gregz" > wrote in message
> Tara > wrote:
>> I love catfish. I have never cooked it at home, but I love to get it
>> at a meat-and-three restaurant with hush puppies and cole slaw.
>> Tabasco on the side.
>>
>> When I was little, we would go to a restaurant that I think was called
>> Shaw's Catfish. Grownups would get whole fried catfish and I would
>> eat the crunchy tails. I would get a catfish burger. The place had
>> an indoor stream with catfish swimming around. You could walk over a
>> bridge and watch the catfish. I thought this was the fanciest
>> restaurant ever.
>>
>> Tara

> I was on TDY at ft. Hood for a remote aircraft demo. One of the guys was
> American Indian decent. He was from the area. His father took us out to
> Belton lake. We caught catfish and bass that day. In the evening we had a
> fantastic fish cook. I don't remember how they were fixed, but they were
> great. I have never ate catfish, carp, or suckers from my area, probably
> never will. Even the walleye have suggested eating limits, darn chemicals.
> All the restaurant catfish are razor thin I get. Almost half breading.
>
> I got talapia and steelhead in the freezer, but they are a year old. Think
> they are ok ??
>
> Greg

Unless they were well sealed they might be freezer burned...

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/2/2012 3:17 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> news
>> On Fri, 2 Mar 2012 11:00:54 -0800 (PST), Chemo the Clown
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Damn, I love catfish.

>> Me too. And add cod to that.
>>

> I adore cod for battered fish & chips once in a blue moon. Too bad I
> can't find a restaurant that serves that here
>
> Jill

Cod was heavily overfished. There are restrictions on taking it to allow
the populations to grow back. So you don't see it nearly as much.

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories...roundfish.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/2/2012 2:00 PM, Chemo the Clown wrote:
> On Mar 2, 9:58 am, > wrote:
>> I haven't seen catfish fillets since I left the Memphis area in 2008.
>> Publix has some fresh (not previously frozen) fillets for $6.99/lb.
>> Wonderful! I'm heading off to buy a couple of pounds. I'm going to make
>> Catfish Acadian, recipe courtesy of the Bayou Bar& Grill in midtown
>> Memphis. I have frozen crawfish tail-meat in the freezer... it's thawing
>> now.
>>
>> Catfish Acadian
>>
>> 2 lbs. catfish fillets (or any mild white fish)
>> seasoned flour
>> olive oil
>> butter
>> diced onions and garlic or shallots
>> diced bell pepper
>> diced celery
>> 1/2 crawfish tail meat
>> whole cream as needed
>> Salt& cayenne pepper to taste
>>
>> Lightly coat the catfish fillets in seasoned flour. Pan fry in oil until
>> lightly browned. Plate and hold in a warm oven. In another pan, sauté the
>> onion and garlic (or shallots) with the bell pepper and celery until soft
>> and translucent. Add the crawfish tail meat and shrimp and sauté until just
>> pink. Stir in some cream. Season with salt and a little cayenne pepper.
>> Pour this mixture over the fish and serve.
>>
>> Jill

> Damn, I love catfish.

Especially if you can get the non farm raised version caught in open
clean water.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George" > wrote in message
> On 3/2/2012 3:17 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> news
>>> On Fri, 2 Mar 2012 11:00:54 -0800 (PST), Chemo the Clown

>>> Me too. And add cod to that.
>>>

>> I adore cod for battered fish & chips once in a blue moon. Too bad I
>> can't find a restaurant that serves that here
>>
>> Jill

> Cod was heavily overfished. There are restrictions on taking it to allow
> the populations to grow back. So you don't see it nearly as much.
>
> http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories...roundfish.html

Good point, George. I don't feel bad about buying farm-raised fish. There
are lots of things I used to love, like redfish or swordfish. You don't see
much of that anymore and that's fine with me. Let the population have time
to replenish. Leave some for the next generation

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George" > wrote in message
> On 3/2/2012 2:00 PM, Chemo the Clown wrote:
>> On Mar 2, 9:58 am, > wrote:
>>> I haven't seen catfish fillets since I left the Memphis area in 2008.
>>> Publix has some fresh (not previously frozen) fillets for $6.99/lb.
>>> Wonderful! I'm heading off to buy a couple of pounds. I'm going to
>>> make
>>> Catfish Acadian, recipe courtesy of the Bayou Bar& Grill in midtown
>>> Memphis. I have frozen crawfish tail-meat in the freezer... it's
>>> thawing
>>> now.
>>>
>>> Catfish Acadian

(snipped self)

>> Damn, I love catfish.

> Especially if you can get the non farm raised version caught in open clean
> water.

There's the rub! Open clean water. In the wild they don't call them
"mudcats" for nothing I prefer the farm raised, in fresh clean water
ponds. I remember driving through Arkansas and seeing fresh water catfish
ponds on one side of the road with rice fields flanking them. Soybean
fields were on the other side of the road.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> I haven't seen catfish fillets since I left the Memphis area in 2008.
> Publix has some fresh (not previously frozen) fillets for $6.99/lb.
> Wonderful! I'm heading off to buy a couple of pounds. I'm going to
> make Catfish Acadian, recipe courtesy of the Bayou Bar & Grill in
> midtown Memphis. I have frozen crawfish tail-meat in the freezer...
> it's thawing now.
>
> Catfish Acadian
>
> 2 lbs. catfish fillets (or any mild white fish)
> seasoned flour
> olive oil
> butter
> diced onions and garlic or shallots
> diced bell pepper
> diced celery
> 1/2 crawfish tail meat
> whole cream as needed
> Salt & cayenne pepper to taste
>
> Lightly coat the catfish fillets in seasoned flour. Pan fry in oil
> until lightly browned. Plate and hold in a warm oven. In another pan,
> sauté the onion and garlic (or shallots) with the bell pepper and celery
> until soft and translucent. Add the crawfish tail meat and shrimp and
> sauté until just pink. Stir in some cream. Season with salt and a
> little cayenne pepper. Pour this mixture over the fish and serve.
>
> Jill

I love catfish. I wish I could get some that aren't of the flabby
farm-raised ilk. You are reminding me of a BBQ place in western
Mass. that had excellent catfish. For that matter, it was
probably farm-raised, but it was battered and fried so nicely,
that it didn't matter.

Anyhow, your catfish dish sounds like a real treat.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > wrote in :

> jmcquown wrote:
>> I haven't seen catfish fillets since I left the Memphis area in 2008.
>> Publix has some fresh (not previously frozen) fillets for $6.99/lb.
>> Wonderful! I'm heading off to buy a couple of pounds. I'm going to
>> make Catfish Acadian, recipe courtesy of the Bayou Bar & Grill in
>> midtown Memphis. I have frozen crawfish tail-meat in the freezer...
>> it's thawing now.
>>
>> Catfish Acadian
>>
>> 2 lbs. catfish fillets (or any mild white fish)
>> seasoned flour
>> olive oil
>> butter
>> diced onions and garlic or shallots
>> diced bell pepper
>> diced celery
>> 1/2 crawfish tail meat
>> whole cream as needed
>> Salt & cayenne pepper to taste
>>
>> Lightly coat the catfish fillets in seasoned flour. Pan fry in oil
>> until lightly browned. Plate and hold in a warm oven. In another
>> pan, sauté the onion and garlic (or shallots) with the bell pepper
>> and celery until soft and translucent. Add the crawfish tail meat
>> and shrimp and sauté until just pink. Stir in some cream. Season
>> with salt and a little cayenne pepper. Pour this mixture over the
>> fish and serve.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> I love catfish. I wish I could get some that aren't of the flabby
> farm-raised ilk. You are reminding me of a BBQ place in western
> Mass. that had excellent catfish. For that matter, it was
> probably farm-raised, but it was battered and fried so nicely,
> that it didn't matter.
>
> Anyhow, your catfish dish sounds like a real treat.

Jean B.: The Catfish New Orleans at border Cafe, Burlington or
Cambridge. Accompanied by the gumbo and jambalaya. Don't forget the
gumbo and jambalaya. But don't have a Margarita in Burlington. Only the
guys in Cambridge know how to make a good Margarita!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Alan Holbrook wrote:
> "Jean B." > wrote in :
>
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>> I haven't seen catfish fillets since I left the Memphis area in 2008.
>>> Publix has some fresh (not previously frozen) fillets for $6.99/lb.
>>> Wonderful! I'm heading off to buy a couple of pounds. I'm going to
>>> make Catfish Acadian, recipe courtesy of the Bayou Bar & Grill in
>>> midtown Memphis. I have frozen crawfish tail-meat in the freezer...
>>> it's thawing now.
>>>
>>> Catfish Acadian
>>>
>>> 2 lbs. catfish fillets (or any mild white fish)
>>> seasoned flour
>>> olive oil
>>> butter
>>> diced onions and garlic or shallots
>>> diced bell pepper
>>> diced celery
>>> 1/2 crawfish tail meat
>>> whole cream as needed
>>> Salt & cayenne pepper to taste
>>>
>>> Lightly coat the catfish fillets in seasoned flour. Pan fry in oil
>>> until lightly browned. Plate and hold in a warm oven. In another
>>> pan, sauté the onion and garlic (or shallots) with the bell pepper
>>> and celery until soft and translucent. Add the crawfish tail meat
>>> and shrimp and sauté until just pink. Stir in some cream. Season
>>> with salt and a little cayenne pepper. Pour this mixture over the
>>> fish and serve.
>>>
>>> Jill
>>>

>> I love catfish. I wish I could get some that aren't of the flabby
>> farm-raised ilk. You are reminding me of a BBQ place in western
>> Mass. that had excellent catfish. For that matter, it was
>> probably farm-raised, but it was battered and fried so nicely,
>> that it didn't matter.
>>
>> Anyhow, your catfish dish sounds like a real treat.
>>

> Jean B.: The Catfish New Orleans at border Cafe, Burlington or
> Cambridge. Accompanied by the gumbo and jambalaya. Don't forget the
> gumbo and jambalaya. But don't have a Margarita in Burlington. Only the
> guys in Cambridge know how to make a good Margarita!

Ah. Thanks for that tip. I can go during the off hours, when it
isn't so loud. Now I have to think of a way to entice my daughter.

I am not even sure I know where the Border Cafe IS in Cambridge.
I am thinking Mt. Auburn St., but I suspect that I am thinking of
some other SW (or quasi-SW) restaurant. Ahhhh, I looked it up,
and I see it is on Church St. I guess that shows how often I walk
down Church St. And when I do, I must be really focussed on other
things.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/2/2012 12:58 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> I haven't seen catfish fillets since I left the Memphis area in 2008.
> Publix has some fresh (not previously frozen) fillets for $6.99/lb.
> Wonderful! I'm heading off to buy a couple of pounds. I'm going to make
> Catfish Acadian, recipe courtesy of the Bayou Bar & Grill in midtown
> Memphis. I have frozen crawfish tail-meat in the freezer... it's thawing
> now.
>
> Catfish Acadian
>
> 2 lbs. catfish fillets (or any mild white fish)
> seasoned flour
> olive oil
> butter
> diced onions and garlic or shallots
> diced bell pepper
> diced celery
> 1/2 crawfish tail meat
> whole cream as needed
> Salt & cayenne pepper to taste
>
> Lightly coat the catfish fillets in seasoned flour. Pan fry in oil until
> lightly browned. Plate and hold in a warm oven. In another pan, sauté
> the onion and garlic (or shallots) with the bell pepper and celery until
> soft and translucent. Add the crawfish tail meat and shrimp and sauté
> until just pink. Stir in some cream. Season with salt and a little
> cayenne pepper. Pour this mixture over the fish and serve.
>
> Jill

Sounds good! But it seems no matter how good any catfish recipe
sounds I can't bring myself to make anything but fried catfish.
I love it so much I just can't do it. But if someone else makes
something good with catfish and offers me some I'll surely eat it.
Hint! Hint! :-)

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 3, 9:18*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> "George" > wrote in message

> (snipped self)
>
> >> Damn, I love catfish.

> > Especially if you can get the non farm raised version caught in open clean
> > water.

> There's the rub! *Open clean water. *In the wild they don't call them
> "mudcats" for nothing *I prefer the farm raised, in fresh clean water
> ponds. *I remember driving through Arkansas and seeing fresh water catfish
> ponds on one side of the road with rice fields flanking them. *Soybean
> fields were on the other side of the road.
>
> Jill

I don't trust farm-raised catfish - too many are from really dirty
water - and if there is a soybean field right alongside, doesn't that
make for a lot of chemical runoff from the farm? Just asking....

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 > writes:

> I don't trust farm-raised catfish - too many are from really dirty
> water - and if there is a soybean field right alongside, doesn't that
> make for a lot of chemical runoff from the farm? Just asking....

As opposed to wild catfish, which live in such clean water?

How do you feel about shrimp, by the way?
--
David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kate Connally > wrote:
> On 3/2/2012 12:58 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> I haven't seen catfish fillets since I left the Memphis area in 2008.
>> Publix has some fresh (not previously frozen) fillets for $6.99/lb.
>> Wonderful! I'm heading off to buy a couple of pounds. I'm going to make
>> Catfish Acadian, recipe courtesy of the Bayou Bar & Grill in midtown
>> Memphis. I have frozen crawfish tail-meat in the freezer... it's thawing
>> now.
>>
>> Catfish Acadian
>>
>> 2 lbs. catfish fillets (or any mild white fish)
>> seasoned flour
>> olive oil
>> butter
>> diced onions and garlic or shallots
>> diced bell pepper
>> diced celery
>> 1/2 crawfish tail meat
>> whole cream as needed
>> Salt & cayenne pepper to taste
>>
>> Lightly coat the catfish fillets in seasoned flour. Pan fry in oil until
>> lightly browned. Plate and hold in a warm oven. In another pan, sauté
>> the onion and garlic (or shallots) with the bell pepper and celery until
>> soft and translucent. Add the crawfish tail meat and shrimp and sauté
>> until just pink. Stir in some cream. Season with salt and a little
>> cayenne pepper. Pour this mixture over the fish and serve.
>>
>> Jill

> Sounds good! But it seems no matter how good any catfish recipe
> sounds I can't bring myself to make anything but fried catfish.
> I love it so much I just can't do it. But if someone else makes
> something good with catfish and offers me some I'll surely eat it.
> Hint! Hint! :-)
>
> Kate

Anybody try sucker fish. Show on tv said it was better than catfish.
Fishing on lake Erie we just threw them back.

Tv news today said many farmed fish are also bad for dioxin and pcb. Said
wild salmon would be healthier. I'm only supposed to eat maximum one
walleye fish a month from lake Erie.

Greg