Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default sturgeon

Apparently, I got 10 lbs heading my way.

I need help. Any suggestions for recipes, prep,
grilling/cooking/otherwise?

Thanks a heap,
-Zz
"Zz Yzx" rhymes with "physics"; or " Isaacs" if you prefer.
http://www.abandonedbutnotforgotten.com/zzyzx_road.htm
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 26, 7:36*pm, Zz Yzx > wrote:
> Apparently, I got 10 lbs heading my way.
>
> I need help. *Any suggestions for recipes, prep,
> grilling/cooking/otherwise?
>
> Thanks a heap,
> -Zz
> "Zz Yzx" rhymes with "physics"; or " Isaacs" if you prefer.http://www.abandonedbutnotforgotten.com/zzyzx_road.htm

Borrow a smoker for a pound or two. Use alderwood chips.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Zz Yzx wrote:
> Apparently, I got 10 lbs heading my way.
>
> I need help. Any suggestions for recipes, prep,
> grilling/cooking/otherwise?
>
> Thanks a heap,
> -Zz
> "Zz Yzx" rhymes with "physics"; or " Isaacs" if you prefer.
> http://www.abandonedbutnotforgotten.com/zzyzx_road.htm

Whole or filleted?
--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-02-27, JL > wrote:

> Whole or filleted?

You can't filet a sturgeon. They're cross-cut like salmon steaks.

nb

--
Fight internet CENSORSHIP - Fight SOPA-PIPA
Contact your congressman and/or representative, now!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-02-27, Zz Yzx > wrote:

> I need help. Any suggestions for recipes, prep,
> grilling/cooking/otherwise?

Think of sturgeon steaks like a pork chop and proceed. BBQ, smoke,
bake, fry, etc. I used to pan fry mine in butter. Simple, but
effective. The meat is very much like a pork chop, firm, white, and
tender. Enjoy.

nb

--
Fight internet CENSORSHIP - Fight SOPA-PIPA
Contact your congressman and/or representative, now!
http://projects.propublica.org/sopa/
vi --the heart of evil!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 2012-02-27, JL > wrote:
>

>>Whole or filleted?

> You can't filet a sturgeon. They're cross-cut like salmon steaks.
>
> nb

Darne
--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Zz Yzx > wrote:

> Apparently, I got 10 lbs heading my way.
>
> I need help. Any suggestions for recipes, prep,
> grilling/cooking/otherwise?
>
> Thanks a heap,
> -Zz
> "Zz Yzx" rhymes with "physics"; or " Isaacs" if you prefer.
> http://www.abandonedbutnotforgotten.com/zzyzx_road.htm

Grilled over mesquite charcoal.

D.M.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> notbob wrote:
>
>> You can't filet a sturgeon. They're cross-cut like salmon steaks.

> What planet are your sturgeon from? You can fillet any finned fish.

The planet where Thor entered an eating contest. They filleted entire
steers for Thor and the giant to eat. The sturgeon fillets were used as
a flavoring agent in the contest.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote:

>On 27 Feb 2012 11:54:26 GMT, notbob wrote:
>
>> On 2012-02-27, JL > wrote:
>>
>>> Whole or filleted?

>> You can't filet a sturgeon. They're cross-cut like salmon steaks.

>What planet are your sturgeon from? You can fillet any finned fish.

Yeah I was wondering about this IN FACT -- isn't normal smoked
sturgeon a fillet cut, that is smoked? It is not in the shape
of a cross-cut steak. It is like a big fillet.

(Granted sturgeon are monster big fish, and you could probably
cut one at any angle and still end up with a huge slab of fish,
and it may not be apparent how originally you cut it up.)

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-03-01, Steve Pope > wrote:

> (Granted sturgeon are monster big fish, and you could probably
> cut one at any angle and still end up with a huge slab of fish,
> and it may not be apparent how originally you cut it up.)

I was thinking "fillet", as in fillet flesh away from the skeleton.
Wiki and my dictionary reveal my folly. Since true sturgeon are
cartilaginous and have no bones, any cut could be correctly termed a
fillet. My late FIL used to routinely catch, clean, and smoke the
sturgeon native to the SFBA Delta. After he passed on, I often bought
sturgeon from markets, mongers, etc, now loving fresh sturgeon. He,
and everyone else I've dealt with, always cross-cut the fish. Also,
I've never seen/heard the term fillet advertised or referred to. YMMV

nb

--
Fight internet CENSORSHIP - Fight SOPA-PIPA
Contact your congressman and/or representative, now!
http://projects.propublica.org/sopa/
vi --the heart of evil!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob > wrote:

>On 2012-03-01, Steve Pope > wrote:
>
>> (Granted sturgeon are monster big fish, and you could probably
>> cut one at any angle and still end up with a huge slab of fish,
>> and it may not be apparent how originally you cut it up.)

>I was thinking "fillet", as in fillet flesh away from the skeleton.
>Wiki and my dictionary reveal my folly. Since true sturgeon are
>cartilaginous and have no bones, any cut could be correctly termed a
>fillet. My late FIL used to routinely catch, clean, and smoke the
>sturgeon native to the SFBA Delta. After he passed on, I often bought
>sturgeon from markets, mongers, etc, now loving fresh sturgeon. He,
>and everyone else I've dealt with, always cross-cut the fish. Also,
>I've never seen/heard the term fillet advertised or referred to. YMMV

Didn't you watch the excellent youtube video on how to fillet a
sturgeon? [there are a couple-- I watched the second one that
appeared on my search]

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-03-01, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:

> Didn't you watch the excellent youtube video on how to fillet a
> sturgeon? [there are a couple-- I watched the second one that
> appeared on my search]

Why should I? I jes admitted it's a non-issue.

fillet
Cookery.
a.to cut or prepare (meat or fish) as a fillet.
b.to cut fillets from.

Due to the physical makeup of a true sturgeon and the rather wide
definition of fillet, I would imagine you can cut, chop, fillet,
slice, mince, even julienne it. Howz this? ....you watch the video,
I'll eat some sturgeon.

nb

--
Fight internet CENSORSHIP - Fight SOPA-PIPA
Contact your congressman and/or representative, now!
http://projects.propublica.org/sopa/
vi --the heart of evil!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 2012-03-01, Steve Pope > wrote:
>

>>(Granted sturgeon are monster big fish, and you could probably
>>cut one at any angle and still end up with a huge slab of fish,
>>and it may not be apparent how originally you cut it up.)

> I was thinking "fillet", as in fillet flesh away from the skeleton.
> Wiki and my dictionary reveal my folly. Since true sturgeon are
> cartilaginous and have no bones, any cut could be correctly termed a
> fillet. My late FIL used to routinely catch, clean, and smoke the
> sturgeon native to the SFBA Delta. After he passed on, I often bought
> sturgeon from markets, mongers, etc, now loving fresh sturgeon. He,
> and everyone else I've dealt with, always cross-cut the fish. Also,
> I've never seen/heard the term fillet advertised or referred to. YMMV
>
> nb

Has the OP responded to the question of how they want to cook it, whole
or ... cut up
--
JL

sturgeon Zz Yzx Barbecue 1 28-02-2012 02:51 AM
Sturgeon question Steve Pope General Cooking 6 12-12-2011 11:26 PM
Tea-Smoked Sturgeon International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 25-11-2007 03:15 PM
Smoked Sturgeon Louis Cohen Barbecue 4 14-04-2005 12:38 AM