Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Limburger uses?

I finally found some limburger cheese locally. It was only available in 8
oz packages. I had planned to split the package into four parts and freeze
three. But some research told me that limburger freezes poorly. Before I
open the package any suggestions on ways to use it? I had planned on
smearing it on crackers for a snack but 8 oz goes a very very long way in
that usage. I live alone so it would take a long time. Any other
suggestions?

TIA

--
"Experience is something you don't get until
just after you need it." Steven Wright

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"KenK" > wrote in message
>I finally found some limburger cheese locally. It was only available in 8
> oz packages. I had planned to split the package into four parts and freeze
> three. But some research told me that limburger freezes poorly. Before I
> open the package any suggestions on ways to use it? I had planned on
> smearing it on crackers for a snack but 8 oz goes a very very long way in
> that usage. I live alone so it would take a long time. Any other
> suggestions?

Spread or sliced on pumpernickle bread with a nice slice
of red onion is probably the barroom standard...

Limburger will change significantly in texture and flavor
as it nears its ultimate ripeness. It will become softer and
more spreadable, along with an increasing aromaticness.
It should be interesting to let your 8oz pack go for a few
weeks and note any changes.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

KenK wrote:

> I finally found some limburger cheese locally. It was only available in 8
> oz packages. I had planned to split the package into four parts and freeze
> three. But some research told me that limburger freezes poorly. Before I
> open the package any suggestions on ways to use it? I had planned on
> smearing it on crackers for a snack but 8 oz goes a very very long way in
> that usage. I live alone so it would take a long time. Any other
> suggestions?

If you happen to like limburger it goes in a lot of applications. I've
even seen limburger pizza. It'll dirve most people out of th ebuilding
but draw some into the building.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

KenK > writes:

> I finally found some limburger cheese locally. It was only available in 8
> oz packages. I had planned to split the package into four parts and freeze
> three. But some research told me that limburger freezes poorly. Before I
> open the package any suggestions on ways to use it? I had planned on
> smearing it on crackers for a snack but 8 oz goes a very very long way in
> that usage. I live alone so it would take a long time. Any other
> suggestions?

On toast, thicker than on snack crackers (like a 1/4" slice). Possibly
with a tart jelly or with cranberry sauce.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 23/02/2012 8:11 AM, KenK wrote:
> I finally found some limburger cheese locally. It was only available in 8
> oz packages. I had planned to split the package into four parts and freeze
> three. But some research told me that limburger freezes poorly. Before I
> open the package any suggestions on ways to use it? I had planned on
> smearing it on crackers for a snack but 8 oz goes a very very long way in
> that usage. I live alone so it would take a long time. Any other
> suggestions?
>
> TIA

I would take the excess and put a little in a saucer for each of my
windows. That way, I could guarantee that nobody would try to break
in through them and I would only have to guard the doors.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

KenK wrote:
> I finally found some limburger cheese locally. It was only available
> in 8 oz packages. I had planned to split the package into four parts
> and freeze three. But some research told me that limburger freezes
> poorly. Before I open the package any suggestions on ways to use it?
> I had planned on smearing it on crackers for a snack but 8 oz goes a
> very very long way in that usage. I live alone so it would take a
> long time. Any other suggestions?
>
> TIA

It's a great way to get an entire row to yourself on an airplane.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

KenK wrote:

> I finally found some limburger cheese locally. It was only available in 8
> oz packages. I had planned to split the package into four parts and freeze
> three. But some research told me that limburger freezes poorly. Before I
> open the package any suggestions on ways to use it? I had planned on
> smearing it on crackers for a snack but 8 oz goes a very very long way in
> that usage. I live alone so it would take a long time. Any other
> suggestions?

IMHO, if you are going to eat limburger cheese, it's a good thing that you
live alone! meheheh

Gary

PS - I've never tried it but I did smell it once at the grocery store.
arrgghhhh! ;0
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 23, 11:48*am, Gary > wrote:
> KenK wrote:
>
> > I finally found some limburger cheese locally. It was only available in 8
> > oz packages. I had planned to split the package into four parts and freeze
> > three. But some research told me that limburger freezes poorly. Before I
> > open the package any suggestions on ways to use it? I had planned on
> > smearing it on crackers for a snack but 8 oz goes a very very long way in
> > that usage. I live alone so it would take a long time. Any other
> > suggestions?

> IMHO, if you are going to eat limburger cheese, it's a good thing that you
> live alone! *meheheh
>
> Gary
>
> PS - I've never tried it but I did smell it once at the grocery store.
> arrgghhhh! *;0

No kidding- I did the smell test once That was one nasty smell!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary > writes:

> KenK wrote:
>>
>> I finally found some limburger cheese locally. It was only available in 8
>> oz packages. I had planned to split the package into four parts and freeze
>> three. But some research told me that limburger freezes poorly. Before I
>> open the package any suggestions on ways to use it? I had planned on
>> smearing it on crackers for a snack but 8 oz goes a very very long way in
>> that usage. I live alone so it would take a long time. Any other
>> suggestions?

> IMHO, if you are going to eat limburger cheese, it's a good thing that you
> live alone! meheheh
>
> Gary
>
> PS - I've never tried it but I did smell it once at the grocery store.
> arrgghhhh! ;0

I've eaten it frequently and been around others eating it even more.
It's a moderately pungent cheese for the general class. A first-rate
brie is stronger, and Pont l'Eveque is pretty consistently stronger.
And they're all good :-).
--
David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
Posted to rec.food.cooking

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

> Gary > writes:
>
> > KenK wrote:
> >>
> >> I finally found some limburger cheese locally. It was only available in 8
> >> oz packages. I had planned to split the package into four parts and freeze
> >> three. But some research told me that limburger freezes poorly. Before I
> >> open the package any suggestions on ways to use it? I had planned on
> >> smearing it on crackers for a snack but 8 oz goes a very very long way in
> >> that usage. I live alone so it would take a long time. Any other
> >> suggestions?

> > IMHO, if you are going to eat limburger cheese, it's a good thing that you
> > live alone! meheheh
> >
> > Gary
> >
> > PS - I've never tried it but I did smell it once at the grocery store.
> > arrgghhhh! ;0

> I've eaten it frequently and been around others eating it even more.
> It's a moderately pungent cheese for the general class. A first-rate
> brie is stronger, and Pont l'Eveque is pretty consistently stronger.
> And they're all good :-).

I guess it's just an acquired taste?
But how do you get past paying for it the first time?

Gary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary > writes:

> David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
>>
>> Gary > writes:

>> > IMHO, if you are going to eat limburger cheese, it's a good thing that you
>> > live alone! meheheh
>> >
>> > Gary
>> >
>> > PS - I've never tried it but I did smell it once at the grocery store.
>> > arrgghhhh! ;0

>> I've eaten it frequently and been around others eating it even more.
>> It's a moderately pungent cheese for the general class. A first-rate
>> brie is stronger, and Pont l'Eveque is pretty consistently stronger.
>> And they're all good :-).

> I guess it's just an acquired taste?
> But how do you get past paying for it the first time?

My experience doesn't really support the "acquired taste" notion for
things. I never have learned to like coffee in any form (I'm 57 now),
and I liked sherry when I was 12, and the first mixed drink I liked was
gin and tonic.

I grew up around limburger, my father had it regularly, so it was just
an ordinary thing. I liked it okay then, I like it now.

May have contributed to my liking other soft ripened cheeses with amonia
when I met them, quite possibly. But I liked those from when I first
met them too.

So...can't help on gettin gpast paying for it the first time, I never
saw an issue there.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 23, 8:11*am, KenK > wrote:
> I finally found some limburger cheese locally. It was only available in 8
> oz packages. I had planned to split the package into four parts and freeze
> three. But some research told me that limburger freezes poorly. Before I
> open the package any suggestions on ways to use it? I had planned on
> smearing it on crackers for a snack but 8 oz goes a very very long way in
> that usage. I live alone so it would take a long time. Any other
> suggestions?
>
> TIA
>
> --
> "Experience is something you don't get until
> just after you need it." Steven Wright

One of our fave quickie suppers;

Slice the cheese, layer it on a thin slice of sweet onion, a slice of
tomato, then top brown it all on a split English muffin. I can eat
two of these as a sitting, being sure not to go out in company that
evening, nor forgetting to dispose carefully of that wrapper. It
alone can cause quite a smell overnight, like shrimp shells.

I think I posted a while back that Limberger was up to 15 bucks a lb.
Ouch. What did you pay?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia > wrote in
:

> On Feb 23, 8:11*am, KenK > wrote:
>> I finally found some limburger cheese locally. It was only available
>> in 8 oz packages. I had planned to split the package into four parts
>> and freez

>> three. But some research told me that limburger freezes poorly.
>> Before I open the package any suggestions on ways to use it? I had
>> planned on smearing it on crackers for a snack but 8 oz goes a very
>> very long way in that usage. I live alone so it would take a long
>> time. Any other suggestions?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> --
>> "Experience is something you don't get until
>> just after you need it." Steven Wright

> One of our fave quickie suppers;
>
> Slice the cheese, layer it on a thin slice of sweet onion, a slice of
> tomato, then top brown it all on a split English muffin. I can eat
> two of these as a sitting, being sure not to go out in company that
> evening, nor forgetting to dispose carefully of that wrapper. It
> alone can cause quite a smell overnight, like shrimp shells.
>
> I think I posted a while back that Limberger was up to 15 bucks a lb.
> Ouch. What did you pay?

$8+ for 8 oz a few months ago. So around $16 a pound. That's why I posted
here and am trying not to waste any of it.

--
"Experience is something you don't get until
just after you need it." Steven Wright

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary > wrote in :

> David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
>>
>> Gary > writes:

>> > IMHO, if you are going to eat limburger cheese, it's a good thing
>> > that you live alone! meheheh
>> >
>> > Gary
>> >
>> > PS - I've never tried it but I did smell it once at the grocery
>> > store. arrgghhhh! ;0

>> I've eaten it frequently and been around others eating it even more.
>> It's a moderately pungent cheese for the general class. A first-rate
>> brie is stronger, and Pont l'Eveque is pretty consistently stronger.
>> And they're all good :-).

> I guess it's just an acquired taste?

Maybe genetic? As a little kid I remember my grandmother liking it.
Didn't try it then though. On the other hand, my parents loved hot
peppers and suchlike but not me.

--
"Experience is something you don't get until
just after you need it." Steven Wright

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> Eat more limburger. It ages well in the fridge and long as you keep
> it *clean* and tightly wrapped it will only get better.

How long did you recommend aging it? 3 months?
I've got a block that's been there for 1 month.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 23, 8:23*am, "pavane" > wrote:
> Spread or sliced on pumpernickle bread with a nice slice
> of red onion is probably the barroom standard...

Oh GOD that sounds good! With a nice foamy beeeer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> Mark Thorson wrote:
> >
> > 3 months old when I bought it. I had
> > been waiting for the next batch to be
> > put out, and I bought it within at most
> > a week of that.
> >
> > Two months to go, eh? Thanks.

> No offense, but you limburger ppl just aren't right. I have a gallon of
> milk in my fridge with expiration date of Oct. 14, 2011. I guess that will
> be ready to drink in another couple of months?

That's like comparing a fine wine and grape juice.
Wines improve with age, quite a lot in some cases.
Some cheeses including Limberger also improve.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 25/02/2012 5:35 PM, Mark Thorson wrote:

> That's like comparing a fine wine and grape juice.
> Wines improve with age, quite a lot in some cases.
> Some cheeses including Limberger also improve.

I will have to take your world for it. I had it once, close to 40 years
ago. I was visiting a friend over the holidays and he broke into a
cheese basket one of his patients had sent him. He held out a piece of
cheese on the end of a knife and said to try it... it's really good. I
took it and popped it into my mouth. Then I noticed that he has a
strange look on his face. I asked him what was the matter. I found out
and soon as I spoke. I could smell that cheese on my breath, and it
tasted like I would imagine a mouthful of shit would taste like.

We were drinking straight whisky and could not get rid of that taste.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 17:52:33 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 25/02/2012 5:35 PM, Mark Thorson wrote:
>>
>> That's like comparing a fine wine and grape juice.
>> Wines improve with age, quite a lot in some cases.
>> Some cheeses including Limberger also improve.

Once a cheese is cut into it doesn't improve.
Once a bottle of wine is opened it doesn't improve.

>I will have to take your world for it. I had it once, close to 40 years
>ago. I was visiting a friend over the holidays and he broke into a
>cheese basket one of his patients had sent him. He held out a piece of
>cheese on the end of a knife and said to try it... it's really good. I
>took it and popped it into my mouth. Then I noticed that he has a
>strange look on his face. I asked him what was the matter. I found out
>and soon as I spoke. I could smell that cheese on my breath, and it
>tasted like I would imagine a mouthful of shit would taste like.
>
>We were drinking straight whisky and could not get rid of that taste.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:

> Once a cheese is cut into it doesn't improve.
> Once a bottle of wine is opened it doesn't improve.

For the wines you buy, it certainly doesn't matter,
opened or not.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:

>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>> Once a cheese is cut into it doesn't improve.
>> Once a bottle of wine is opened it doesn't improve.

>For the wines you buy, it certainly doesn't matter,
>opened or not.

What, no vintages on Boone's Farm?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> I fit's probably stored and wrapped, I say yes. Is it Chalet Cheese
> co-op? You have to look at the fine print.

It's Honey Creek brand from Wisconsin Cheese Group
of Monroe, WI.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 19:20:59 -0800, Mark Thorson wrote:
>
> > Sqwertz wrote:
> >>
> >> I fit's probably stored and wrapped, I say yes. Is it Chalet Cheese
> >> co-op? You have to look at the fine print.

> > It's Honey Creek brand from Wisconsin Cheese Group
> > of Monroe, WI.

> Well, the city is right. But the fact is that Chalet Cheese Co-Op is
> the ONLY manufacturer of limburger in the U.S. anymore. It must be co
> branded, but even then I see "Chalet Cheese Co-op" printed on it
> somewhere.

Nope. Not this one.

Limburger substitute? KenK General Cooking 15 31-12-2013 03:39 AM
Limburger cheese KenK General Cooking 2 25-03-2013 01:01 AM
Limburger - yikes - 15.99/lb ++ Kalmia General Cooking 6 07-02-2012 05:48 PM
Limburger notbob General Cooking 18 25-08-2005 10:58 AM
Limburger? Wayne Boatwright General Cooking 15 04-01-2004 06:20 PM