Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Seasonings/Spices Most Often Used For Food Preparation

What seasonings and spices do you use the most when you are cooking and
baking? You're bound to have some favorite flavors that enhance food
preparation in your kitchen?

What are some of the ways you use them?

Are there some you don't care for and never use?

I like most every seasoning I've ever tried, but one I never use is
tarragon, as just is unpleasant to me. I do like most everything else in
certain dishes. I find too that a little curry goes a long way, as does
oregano (as far as my personal taste buds go) and yet I like the
enhancement both bring to food, but just don't care for it overpowering.
I'm especially fond of basil, sage, dry mustard, garlic powder, chili
powder, cumin, dill seed & weed, fennel, lemon pepper, paprika, thyme
and really like seasoned salt and seasoned pepper too. Just way too many
to name.

For my baking, I use cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves often.

Anyway, let's discuss...and "spice" up our lives!

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I loooove cinnamon and use it a lot. I'm kind of a spice freak and
love to try new ones, but I agree with you about tarragon. I've never
had any use for it and I don't like the flavor. BTW, I once had an
aquaintance who is Dutch and used some spice she said you could only
get in Holland. She would never tell me what it was--she was very
secretive about recipes and stuff. This would be a spice you can bake
with-she used it in zucchini bread. Got any idea what it is?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 13:38:10 -0800 (PST), Gayle Hodur
> wrote:
>

> I loooove cinnamon and use it a lot. I'm kind of a spice freak and
> love to try new ones, but I agree with you about tarragon. I've never
> had any use for it and I don't like the flavor. BTW, I once had an
> aquaintance who is Dutch and used some spice she said you could only
> get in Holland. She would never tell me what it was--she was very
> secretive about recipes and stuff. This would be a spice you can bake
> with-she used it in zucchini bread. Got any idea what it is?

The Dutch aren't big users of spices. They traded spices, but the
didn't really use much in their own cuisine. There might be a special
mixture of spices favored by the Dutch though. We have pumpkin pie
spice mix here, Indians have garam masala, the French have quatre
épices and they might have something too. If it was a "sweet" spice,
I bet it was cardamom or cardamom was part of the mixture.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gayle Hodur wrote:

>I loooove cinnamon and use it a lot. I'm
> kind of a spice freak and love to try new
> ones, but I agree with you about
> tarragon. I've never had any use for it
> and I don't like the flavor. BTW, I once
> had an aquaintance who is Dutch and
> used some spice she said you could
> only get in Holland. She would never tell
> me what it was--she was very secretive
> about recipes and stuff. This would be a
> spice you can bake with-she used it in
> zucchini bread. Got any idea what it is?

I too love cinnamon and I put it on my buttered toast, in my oatmeal, in
French toast batter and just this morning, I put it in blueberry
pancakes. The flavor really enhances most things, and health wise it is
good for a person too, particularly if they have a problem with high
blood sugar.

It's too bad your Dutch friend didn't tell you what the spice was that
she was using. I'm not at all familiar with recipes from Holland, but I
wonder if you couldn't Goggle for info, and see what kind of spices they
would use in a zucchini bread, as may even be able to order it online,
if you knew the name. Someone in here might be able to help you
possibly.

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>The Dutch aren't big users of spices.
> They traded spices, but the didn't really
> use much in their own cuisine. There
> might be a special mixture of spices
> favored by the Dutch though. We have
> pumpkin pie spice mix here, Indians
> have garam masala, the French have
> quatre épices and they might have
> something too. If it was a "sweet" spice,
> I bet it was cardamom or cardamom
> was part of the mixture.

I think you are probably right. I have several cookbooks of recipes from
around the world, and the only recipes (from Holland) I found was for
two Dutch Apple Pies, and they both just called for cinnamon. I also
found a Dutch Peach Pie and it didn't have any spice in it?! I am
curious about what spice was used in the Zucchini Bread, so too bad the
person was so secretive about it.

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gayle Hodur > wrote:
>I loooove cinnamon and use it a lot. I'm kind of a spice freak and
>love to try new ones, but I agree with you about tarragon. I've never
>had any use for it and I don't like the flavor. BTW, I once had an
>aquaintance who is Dutch and used some spice she said you could only
>get in Holland. She would never tell me what it was--she was very
>secretive about recipes and stuff. This would be a spice you can bake
>with-she used it in zucchini bread. Got any idea what it is?

Cardamom is a spice used in a lot of northern European breads.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 22, 12:24*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
> What seasonings and spices do you use the most when you are cooking and
> baking? You're bound to have some favorite flavors that enhance food
> preparation in your kitchen?
>
> What are some of the ways you use them?
>
> Are there some you don't care for and never use?
>
> I like most every seasoning I've ever tried, but one I never use is
> tarragon, as just is unpleasant to me. I do like most everything else in
> certain dishes. I find too that a little curry goes a long way, as does
> oregano (as far as my personal taste buds go) and yet I like the
> enhancement both bring to food, but just don't care for it overpowering.
> I'm especially fond of basil, sage, dry mustard, garlic powder, chili
> powder, cumin, dill seed & weed, fennel, lemon pepper, paprika, thyme
> and really like seasoned salt and seasoned pepper too. Just way too many
> to name.
>
> For my baking, I use cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves often.
>
> Anyway, let's discuss...and "spice" up our lives! *
>
> Judy

I loathe chili powder.
I go thru basil faster than almost anything else.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

Saigon cinnamon. Large grain black pepper. Poppy seeds a big favorite.
Chili powder. Coffee. More recently I've been trying blends-chinese five
spice in pumpkin pie for example. One of those self-grinder containers
of fish/seafood seasoning. Steak Dust. I have an all-purpose salt-free
spice container with something like 27 different spices in it-I rub my
frozen breaded flounder with a little olive oil and sprinkle that on. I
like snipping fresh chives into my scrambled eggs. I have little bottles
of lime orange lemon oil but I havent discovered how to use them
properly yet. I live near an Amish area, have bought many little bottles
in their store of different flavorings-quite fun to shop in their stores
if you haven't ever.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Judy Haffner" > wrote in message

> What seasonings and spices do you use the most when you are cooking and
> baking? You're bound to have some favorite flavors that enhance food
> preparation in your kitchen?

(snippage)

Herbs: dill weed, thyme, basil/oregano [interchangeable], tarragon (sorry!
my roasted butternut squash soup wouldn't be the same without tarragon), bay
leaves.

I can't stand cilantro. Or lemongrass.

Spices: ground chilis varying from mild to hot. The one I use most is
cayenne pepper. I add it to some soups and stews for a little kick

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
> On Feb 22, 12:24 pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
>> What seasonings and spices do you use the most when you are cooking and
>> baking? You're bound to have some favorite flavors that enhance food
>> preparation in your kitchen?
>>
>> What are some of the ways you use them?
>>
>> Are there some you don't care for and never use?
>>
>> I like most every seasoning I've ever tried, but one I never use is
>> tarragon, as just is unpleasant to me. I do like most everything else in
>> certain dishes. I find too that a little curry goes a long way, as does
>> oregano (as far as my personal taste buds go) and yet I like the
>> enhancement both bring to food, but just don't care for it overpowering.
>> I'm especially fond of basil, sage, dry mustard, garlic powder, chili
>> powder, cumin, dill seed & weed, fennel, lemon pepper, paprika, thyme
>> and really like seasoned salt and seasoned pepper too. Just way too many
>> to name.
>>
>> For my baking, I use cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves often.
>>
>> Anyway, let's discuss...and "spice" up our lives!
>>
>> Judy

> I loathe chili powder.
> I go thru basil faster than almost anything else.

Have you ever tried making your own chili powder? Here's a recipe from the
American Heart Association cookbook, circa 1980:

3 Tbs. sweet paprika
2 Tbs. finely crushed dried oregano
1 tsp. dried cumin
1 tsp. dried turmeric
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 -1/2 tsp. ground cayenne peppers (to taste)

Blend all together. Makes about 4 Tbs. chili powder. Store in tightly
covered jar.

Of course there are probably much better recipes out there but I did make
this once. The garlic powder and turmeric sort of turned me off of the
idea. I started buying salt free ground chili blends from Penzey's instead

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 23/02/2012 2:10, Judy Haffner wrote:

> sf wrote:
>
>> The Dutch aren't big users of spices.
>> They traded spices, but the didn't really
>> use much in their own cuisine. There
>> might be a special mixture of spices
>> favored by the Dutch though. We have
>> pumpkin pie spice mix here, Indians
>> have garam masala, the French have
>> quatre épices and they might have
>> something too. If it was a "sweet" spice,
>> I bet it was cardamom or cardamom
>> was part of the mixture.

> I think you are probably right. I have several cookbooks of recipes from
> around the world, and the only recipes (from Holland) I found was for
> two Dutch Apple Pies, and they both just called for cinnamon. I also
> found a Dutch Peach Pie and it didn't have any spice in it?! I am
> curious about what spice was used in the Zucchini Bread, so too bad the
> person was so secretive about it.
>
> Judy

She may have been talking about 'koekkruiden' which is a typical Dutch
spice mix, used in speculoos (type of Biscoff cookie), spice bread, and
sometimes even in hearty dishes. It's a mix of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger,
clove, cardamom and pepper, and it 's typically associated with winter
dishes in Holland and Belgium.

Nathalie from Belgium
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jill wrote:

>Herbs: dill weed, thyme, basil/oregano
> [interchangeable], tarragon (sorry!
>my roasted butternut squash soup
> wouldn't be the same without tarragon),
> bay leaves.

We love baked squash, but would never ruin it by using tarragon on it!
(

>I can't stand cilantro. Or lemongrass.

Love both...we go to the Thai restaurant close to our house a lot and
they use that in many of their dishes, and the more the better AFAIC.

>Spices: ground chilis varying from mild
> to hot. The one I use most is
>cayenne pepper. I add it to some soups
> and stews for a little kick

I rarely ever use cayenne pepper...usually substitute it with a few
dashes Tabasco.

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 22, 11:24*am, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
> What seasonings and spices do you use the most when you are cooking and
> baking? You're bound to have some favorite flavors that enhance food
> preparation in your kitchen?
>
> What are some of the ways you use them?
>
> Are there some you don't care for and never use?
>
> I like most every seasoning I've ever tried, but one I never use is
> tarragon, as just is unpleasant to me. I do like most everything else in
> certain dishes. I find too that a little curry goes a long way, as does
> oregano (as far as my personal taste buds go) and yet I like the
> enhancement both bring to food, but just don't care for it overpowering.
> I'm especially fond of basil, sage, dry mustard, garlic powder, chili
> powder, cumin, dill seed & weed, fennel, lemon pepper, paprika, thyme
> and really like seasoned salt and seasoned pepper too. Just way too many
> to name.
>
> For my baking, I use cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves often.
>
> Anyway, let's discuss...and "spice" up our lives! *
>
> Judy

I'm with you on Tarragon and I can't stand to have Dill doing anything
other than flavoring pickles. Other than that, Rosemary is a good all
around herb.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 01:20:52 -0500, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

> Have you ever tried making your own chili powder? Here's a recipe from the
> American Heart Association cookbook, circa 1980:
>
> 3 Tbs. sweet paprika
> 2 Tbs. finely crushed dried oregano
> 1 tsp. dried cumin
> 1 tsp. dried turmeric
> 1 tsp. garlic powder
> 1/4 -1/2 tsp. ground cayenne peppers (to taste)
>
> Blend all together. Makes about 4 Tbs. chili powder. Store in tightly
> covered jar.

Turmeric - why?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 01:10:16 -0500, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

> Herbs: dill weed, thyme, basil/oregano [interchangeable], tarragon (sorry!
> my roasted butternut squash soup wouldn't be the same without tarragon), bay
> leaves.

In spite of all the negatives I've heard in this thread (not from
you), I love tarragon... I don't use it very often because I don't
know very many recipes that call for it. I always think that if I was
French, I'd be using it more often.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 00:07:54 -0800 (PST), Christopher Helms
> wrote:

> I'm with you on Tarragon and I can't stand to have Dill doing anything
> other than flavoring pickles. Other than that, Rosemary is a good all
> around herb.

I'm such a slut. I like cayenne and I also like dill.... damn.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 01:20:52 -0500, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
>> Have you ever tried making your own chili powder? Here's a recipe from
>> the
>> American Heart Association cookbook, circa 1980:
>>
>> 3 Tbs. sweet paprika
>> 2 Tbs. finely crushed dried oregano
>> 1 tsp. dried cumin
>> 1 tsp. dried turmeric
>> 1 tsp. garlic powder
>> 1/4 -1/2 tsp. ground cayenne peppers (to taste)
>>
>> Blend all together. Makes about 4 Tbs. chili powder. Store in tightly
>> covered jar.

> Turmeric - why?
>
> --
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

Colouring? I dunno. I just wrote it as the book indicated.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christopher Helms" > wrote in message
> On Feb 22, 11:24 am, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
>> What seasonings and spices do you use the most when you are cooking and
>> baking? You're bound to have some favorite flavors that enhance food
>> preparation in your kitchen?
>>
>> What are some of the ways you use them?
>>
>> Are there some you don't care for and never use?
>>
>> I like most every seasoning I've ever tried, but one I never use is
>> tarragon, as just is unpleasant to me. I do like most everything else in
>> certain dishes. I find too that a little curry goes a long way, as does
>> oregano (as far as my personal taste buds go) and yet I like the
>> enhancement both bring to food, but just don't care for it overpowering.
>> I'm especially fond of basil, sage, dry mustard, garlic powder, chili
>> powder, cumin, dill seed & weed, fennel, lemon pepper, paprika, thyme
>> and really like seasoned salt and seasoned pepper too. Just way too many
>> to name.
>>
>> For my baking, I use cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves often.
>>
>> Anyway, let's discuss...and "spice" up our lives!
>>
>> Judy

> I'm with you on Tarragon and I can't stand to have Dill doing anything
> other than flavoring pickles. Other than that, Rosemary is a good all
> around herb.

Rosemary is like a pine tree... it's one herb I don't like dealing with
(dried or fresh).

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 04:27:09 -0500, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

> Rosemary is like a pine tree... it's one herb I don't like dealing with
> (dried or fresh).

If you think it's like pine, you haven't had it fresh.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 22, 12:24*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
> What seasonings and spices do you use the most when you are cooking and
> baking? You're bound to have some favorite flavors that enhance food
> preparation in your kitchen?

Old Bay, Fresh Black Pepper, Montreal Steak and Montreal Chicken,
lemon and lime juice, Cumin.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 23, 3:06*am, sf > wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 00:07:54 -0800 (PST), Christopher *Helms
>
> > wrote:
> > I'm with you on Tarragon and I can't stand to have Dill doing anything
> > other than flavoring pickles. Other than that, Rosemary is a good all
> > around herb.

> I'm such a slut. *I like cayenne and I also like dill.... damn.
>
> --
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

Cayenne and hot stuff in general are all right, unless you are one of
those goofballs who eat atomic chicken wings in places where they make
you sign a waiver before your order arrives. Since (I think) Dill is
one of the flavorings in ranch dressing and ranch flavored things all
around, I guess I'm not completely opposed to it all the time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 23, 3:27*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> "Christopher *Helms" > wrote in ...
>

> > On Feb 22, 11:24 am, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
> >> What seasonings and spices do you use the most when you are cooking and
> >> baking? You're bound to have some favorite flavors that enhance food
> >> preparation in your kitchen?

> >> What are some of the ways you use them?

> >> Are there some you don't care for and never use?

> >> I like most every seasoning I've ever tried, but one I never use is
> >> tarragon, as just is unpleasant to me. I do like most everything else in
> >> certain dishes. I find too that a little curry goes a long way, as does
> >> oregano (as far as my personal taste buds go) and yet I like the
> >> enhancement both bring to food, but just don't care for it overpowering.
> >> I'm especially fond of basil, sage, dry mustard, garlic powder, chili
> >> powder, cumin, dill seed & weed, fennel, lemon pepper, paprika, thyme
> >> and really like seasoned salt and seasoned pepper too. Just way too many
> >> to name.

> >> For my baking, I use cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves often.

> >> Anyway, let's discuss...and "spice" up our lives! *

> >> Judy

> > I'm with you on Tarragon and I can't stand to have Dill doing anything
> > other than flavoring pickles. Other than that, Rosemary is a good all
> > around herb.

> Rosemary is like a pine tree... it's one herb I don't like dealing with
> (dried or fresh).
>
> Jill

I like it with pretty much anything chicken. It's not bad with
potatoes, either. At least for me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia > wrote:
> On Feb 22, 12:24 pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
>> What seasonings and spices do you use the most when you are cooking and
>> baking? You're bound to have some favorite flavors that enhance food
>> preparation in your kitchen?
>>
>> What are some of the ways you use them?
>>
>> Are there some you don't care for and never use?
>>
>> I like most every seasoning I've ever tried, but one I never use is
>> tarragon, as just is unpleasant to me. I do like most everything else in
>> certain dishes. I find too that a little curry goes a long way, as does
>> oregano (as far as my personal taste buds go) and yet I like the
>> enhancement both bring to food, but just don't care for it overpowering.
>> I'm especially fond of basil, sage, dry mustard, garlic powder, chili
>> powder, cumin, dill seed & weed, fennel, lemon pepper, paprika, thyme
>> and really like seasoned salt and seasoned pepper too. Just way too many
>> to name.
>>
>> For my baking, I use cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves often.
>>
>> Anyway, let's discuss...and "spice" up our lives!
>>
>> Judy

> I loathe chili powder.
> I go thru basil faster than almost anything else.

Is that brown or red chili powder. It's suppose to be red unless it's
toasted. Sure tastes different.

I'm lazy. I usually get out the mrs dash for a lot of things.

Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 10:17:09 -0600, David Dyer-Bennet >
wrote:

> Summer savory in turkey stuffing.

For a real difference in turkey stuffing, try chervil instead of
summer savory. It has a real "wow" factor and I loved it the first
time I tasted it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > writes:

> On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 10:17:09 -0600, David Dyer-Bennet >
> wrote:
>
>> Summer savory in turkey stuffing.

> For a real difference in turkey stuffing, try chervil instead of
> summer savory. It has a real "wow" factor and I loved it the first
> time I tasted it.

I'm the family turkey cooker at the joint celebrations with my and my
wife's families because I'm a rock-bound conservative about the "right"
turkey stuffing. But I'll keep the idea in mind; I tend to do three
batches any given turkey day, so I could experiment without risking the
whole experience :-).
--
David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 14:24:41 -0600, David Dyer-Bennet >
wrote:

> I tend to do three
> batches any given turkey day, so I could experiment without risking the
> whole experience :-).

Good idea! I was eating dinner at a friend's when chervil stuffing
was introduced to me and it was love at first bite. 30+ years later,
I still use it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Judy asked:

> What seasonings and spices do you use the most when you are cooking and
> baking? You're bound to have some favorite flavors that enhance food
> preparation in your kitchen?
>
> What are some of the ways you use them?
>
> Are there some you don't care for and never use?

I don't like caraway unless it's in my homemade harissa, and I use dill
very sparingly. Anything else is fair game for *my* tastes, but out of
consideration for Lin's tastes, I also cut way down on anything with a
licorice flavor like anise seeds, star anise, fennel seeds (but she's
okay with fennel bulb for some reason), or tarragon. Chinese five-spice
is also out for that reason.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/22/2012 12:24 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:

> What seasonings and spices do you use the most when you are cooking and
> baking? You're bound to have some favorite flavors that enhance food
> preparation in your kitchen?
>
> What are some of the ways you use them?
>
> Are there some you don't care for and never use?
>
> I like most every seasoning I've ever tried, but one I never use is
> tarragon, as just is unpleasant to me. I do like most everything else in
> certain dishes. I find too that a little curry goes a long way, as does
> oregano (as far as my personal taste buds go) and yet I like the
> enhancement both bring to food, but just don't care for it overpowering.
> I'm especially fond of basil, sage, dry mustard, garlic powder, chili
> powder, cumin, dill seed& weed, fennel, lemon pepper, paprika, thyme
> and really like seasoned salt and seasoned pepper too. Just way too many
> to name.
>
> For my baking, I use cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves often.
>
> Anyway, let's discuss...and "spice" up our lives!
>
> Judy

Garlic.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 00:07:54 -0800 (PST), Christopher Helms
> wrote:

>On Feb 22, 11:24*am, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
>> What seasonings and spices do you use the most when you are cooking and
>> baking? You're bound to have some favorite flavors that enhance food
>> preparation in your kitchen?
>>
>> What are some of the ways you use them?
>>
>> Are there some you don't care for and never use?
>>
>> I like most every seasoning I've ever tried, but one I never use is
>> tarragon, as just is unpleasant to me. I do like most everything else in
>> certain dishes. I find too that a little curry goes a long way, as does
>> oregano (as far as my personal taste buds go) and yet I like the
>> enhancement both bring to food, but just don't care for it overpowering.
>> I'm especially fond of basil, sage, dry mustard, garlic powder, chili
>> powder, cumin, dill seed & weed, fennel, lemon pepper, paprika, thyme
>> and really like seasoned salt and seasoned pepper too. Just way too many
>> to name.
>>
>> For my baking, I use cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves often.
>>
>> Anyway, let's discuss...and "spice" up our lives! *
>>
>> Judy

>I'm with you on Tarragon and I can't stand to have Dill doing anything
>other than flavoring pickles. Other than that, Rosemary is a good all
>around herb.

Geezzzzz.....
I wouldn't want to eat in your kitchen

I put dill weed on almost everything. Particularly good on tuna
sandwiches (tuna mixed with mayo, dill weed, garlic powder, a squirt of
liquid smoke, and a pinch of cayenne), spread on a whole grain bread.

My top use for dill weed is in eggs. Scrambled or any other form. Lots
of dill weed, some garlic powder, black pepper, liquid smoke, and some
season-all. (no salt, since the Season-all <a Morton product> has it).

Dill also goes well on mashed potatoes and rice.

If you dont use dill weed on anything else, try it on eggs, it's
awesome.

My top spices used a
Dill Weed
Garlic Powder (not salt)
Cayenne
Liquid Smoke
and one of the pre-made mixes such as "Season-all".

"Spike" is even better than "Season-all" but hard to find in the stores,
and I refuse to pay $6 to ship a $3.50 bottle of the stuff.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 00:07:54 -0800 (PST), Christopher Helms
> > wrote:
>
>> On Feb 22, 11:24 am, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
>>> What seasonings and spices do you use the most when you are cooking and
>>> baking? You're bound to have some favorite flavors that enhance food
>>> preparation in your kitchen?
>>>
>>> What are some of the ways you use them?
>>>
>>> Are there some you don't care for and never use?
>>>
>>> I like most every seasoning I've ever tried, but one I never use is
>>> tarragon, as just is unpleasant to me. I do like most everything else in
>>> certain dishes. I find too that a little curry goes a long way, as does
>>> oregano (as far as my personal taste buds go) and yet I like the
>>> enhancement both bring to food, but just don't care for it overpowering.
>>> I'm especially fond of basil, sage, dry mustard, garlic powder, chili
>>> powder, cumin, dill seed & weed, fennel, lemon pepper, paprika, thyme
>>> and really like seasoned salt and seasoned pepper too. Just way too many
>>> to name.
>>>
>>> For my baking, I use cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves often.
>>>
>>> Anyway, let's discuss...and "spice" up our lives!
>>>
>>> Judy

>> I'm with you on Tarragon and I can't stand to have Dill doing anything
>> other than flavoring pickles. Other than that, Rosemary is a good all
>> around herb.

> Geezzzzz.....
> I wouldn't want to eat in your kitchen
>
> I put dill weed on almost everything. Particularly good on tuna
> sandwiches (tuna mixed with mayo, dill weed, garlic powder, a squirt of
> liquid smoke, and a pinch of cayenne), spread on a whole grain bread.
>
> My top use for dill weed is in eggs. Scrambled or any other form. Lots
> of dill weed, some garlic powder, black pepper, liquid smoke, and some
> season-all. (no salt, since the Season-all <a Morton product> has it).
>
> Dill also goes well on mashed potatoes and rice.
>
> If you dont use dill weed on anything else, try it on eggs, it's
> awesome.
>
> My top spices used a
> Dill Weed
> Garlic Powder (not salt)
> Cayenne
> Liquid Smoke
> and one of the pre-made mixes such as "Season-all".
>
> "Spike" is even better than "Season-all" but hard to find in the stores,
> and I refuse to pay $6 to ship a $3.50 bottle of the stuff.

I'm still a novice to knowing spices. I intend to experiment with dill,
since I recently bought some, for sauerkraut meal. I have been out of
cayenne or a long time, but usually use my habanero pepper which I make. I
like garlic powder on eggs. I have trouble getting good garlic, or I'm just
immune. I use mrs dash.

Greg