Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cutting boards

What's the best wood to look for in a cutting board? And the easiest to maintain
if I don't have a dishwasher? Thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 19, 2:44*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> wrote:
> >What's the best wood to look for in a cutting board? And the easiest to maintain
> >if I don't have a dishwasher?

> Wood from the exotic High Density Polyethylene tree.

Linear or crosslinked?

;-)

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> What's the best wood to look for in a cutting board? And the easiest to
> maintain
> if I don't have a dishwasher? Thanks.

We have three of the thicker poly cutting boards. I like them all. I beat
around mincing on them a lot. My favorite is the thinnest one, about .25
inches. They've all held up very well. I use it on top of the old wood
board, that's built into the countertop.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 12:51:39 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> wrote:

>On Feb 19, 2:44*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>> wrote:
>> >What's the best wood to look for in a cutting board? And the easiest to maintain
>> >if I don't have a dishwasher?

>> Wood from the exotic High Density Polyethylene tree.

>Linear or crosslinked?

Tropical rain forest.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 15:44:00 -0500, George M. Middius

>>What's the best wood to look for in a cutting board? And the easiest to maintain
>>if I don't have a dishwasher? Thanks.

>Don't wood. Get bamboo! It's renewable and most likely easier to
>maintain. Treat it with mineral oil when new, then periodically after.

There's nothing renewable about bamboo boards nor can they absorb
mineral oil... 80% of bamboo boards is composed of a resin binder
(abrasive plastic). Bamboo boards are strictly decorative (if one
likes that look, I don't), they are hell on cutlery. Btw, bamboo is
not wood, it's a type of grass.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 19, 4:20*pm, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 15:12:52 -0500, wrote:
> >What's the best wood to look for in a cutting board? And the easiest to maintain
> >if I don't have a dishwasher? Thanks.

> Maple, IMO. *I've used walnut and cherry too. White oak is OK, avoid
> red oak.
>
> I've found the best thing to do is wipe the new board with mineral oil
> every day for at least four days. *It will provide a decent seal from
> water and juices.

Can ya do this with any success on a rather old board?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 19, 3:35*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 12:51:39 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
>
> > wrote:

> >> Wood from the exotic High Density Polyethylene tree.

> >Linear or crosslinked?

> Tropical rain forest.

Obviously knows nothing about polyethylene.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 13:52:03 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> wrote:

> On Feb 19, 3:35*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> > On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 12:51:39 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> >
> > > wrote:

> > >Linear or crosslinked?

> > Tropical rain forest.

> Obviously knows nothing about polyethylene.

I thought it was a clever remark!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 16:50:50 -0500, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

> And a little bamboo one that I would use more if it was bigger. It
> is only 4-5 years old, but has been through the dishwasher ?100? times
> & still looks brand new.

You put your bamboo board in the dishwasher?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:

>>Don't get wood. Get bamboo! It's renewable and most likely easier to
>>maintain. Treat it with mineral oil when new, then periodically after.

>There's nothing renewable about bamboo boards nor can they absorb
>mineral oil... Btw, bamboo is
>not wood, it's a type of grass.

Are you doing some kind of Orwellian double-think?

> 80% of bamboo boards is composed of a resin binder
>(abrasive plastic). Bamboo boards are strictly decorative (if one
>likes that look, I don't), they are hell on cutlery.

To put it politely, my experience differs from yours. I would also,
respectfully and without questioning your sanity, cast doubt on your
assertion about "80% binder".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:

>> >Linear or crosslinked?

>> Tropical rain forest.

>Obviously knows nothing about polyethylene.

Yeah, I always heard that tree is strictly a temperate-zone native.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>> And a little bamboo one that I would use more if it was bigger. It
>> is only 4-5 years old, but has been through the dishwasher ?100? times
>> & still looks brand new.

>You put your bamboo board in the dishwasher?

Some less-than-devoted cooks put their wood boards in the dishwasher,
believe it or not.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 13:46:28 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> wrote:

> On Feb 19, 4:20*pm, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
> > On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 15:12:52 -0500, wrote:
> > >What's the best wood to look for in a cutting board? And the easiest to maintain
> > >if I don't have a dishwasher? Thanks.

> > Maple, IMO. *I've used walnut and cherry too. White oak is OK, avoid
> > red oak.
> >
> > I've found the best thing to do is wipe the new board with mineral oil
> > every day for at least four days. *It will provide a decent seal from
> > water and juices.

> Can ya do this with any success on a rather old board?

I don't see why it wouldn't work on any board. I just use peanut oil
and contrary to the scare theorists assertions, nothing has ever gone
rancid.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message ...

What's the best wood to look for in a cutting board? And the easiest to
maintain
if I don't have a dishwasher? Thanks.

*************

I like vinyl/plastic. Don't trust anything porous.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 19, 5:02*pm, "Hiya" > wrote:
> wrote in messagenews:nsl2k7tpvcfmsacu41o0qjc4a0lqcs29dm@4ax .com...
>
> What's the best wood to look for in a cutting board?

Rock maple.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acer_glabrum

> And the easiest to
> maintain
> if I don't have a dishwasher? Thanks.

I have no idea. I'm sure others will chime in.

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 14:37:25 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 16:50:50 -0500, Jim Elbrecht >
>wrote:
>
>> And a little bamboo one that I would use more if it was bigger. It
>> is only 4-5 years old, but has been through the dishwasher ?100? times
>> & still looks brand new.

>You put your bamboo board in the dishwasher?

Yep--- over and over again. It doesn't mind. Nor do the bamboo
stirrers, spoons and spatulas.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 18:08:56 -0500, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 14:37:25 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 16:50:50 -0500, Jim Elbrecht >
> >wrote:
> >
> >> And a little bamboo one that I would use more if it was bigger. It
> >> is only 4-5 years old, but has been through the dishwasher ?100? times
> >> & still looks brand new.

> >You put your bamboo board in the dishwasher?

> Yep--- over and over again. It doesn't mind. Nor do the bamboo
> stirrers, spoons and spatulas.

Oddly, I don't think twice about putting my bamboos utensils in the
dishwasher but I wouldn't think of putting my bamboo cutting boards in
it. Go figger.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 13:46:28 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> wrote:

>On Feb 19, 4:20*pm, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>> On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 15:12:52 -0500, wrote:
>> >What's the best wood to look for in a cutting board? And the easiest to maintain
>> >if I don't have a dishwasher? Thanks.

>> Maple, IMO. *I've used walnut and cherry too. White oak is OK, avoid
>> red oak.
>>
>> I've found the best thing to do is wipe the new board with mineral oil
>> every day for at least four days. *It will provide a decent seal from
>> water and juices.

>Can ya do this with any success on a rather old board?

Scrape it down first, then try it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 18:02:37 -0500, "Hiya" > wrote:

>wrote in message ...
>
>What's the best wood to look for in a cutting board? And the easiest to
>maintain
>if I don't have a dishwasher? Thanks.
>
>*************
>
>I like vinyl/plastic. Don't trust anything porous.

Even though they are more sanitary than plastic.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/19/2012 6:08 PM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 14:37:25 -0800, > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 16:50:50 -0500, Jim >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> And a little bamboo one that I would use more if it was bigger. It
>>> is only 4-5 years old, but has been through the dishwasher ?100? times
>>> & still looks brand new.

>> You put your bamboo board in the dishwasher?

> Yep--- over and over again. It doesn't mind. Nor do the bamboo
> stirrers, spoons and spatulas.

I have bamboo utensils which have been going through the dishwasher for
15-20 years - but they're not the laminated bamboo, like cutting boards
and some of the fancy spoons.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/19/2012 6:35 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 18:08:56 -0500, Jim >
> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 14:37:25 -0800, > wrote:

>>> You put your bamboo board in the dishwasher?

>> Yep--- over and over again. It doesn't mind. Nor do the bamboo
>> stirrers, spoons and spatulas.
>>

> Oddly, I don't think twice about putting my bamboos utensils in the
> dishwasher but I wouldn't think of putting my bamboo cutting boards in
> it. Go figger.

Makes sense, though - the boards are glued, but most of the utensils are
not.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 13:52:03 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> wrote:

>On Feb 19, 3:35*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>> On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 12:51:39 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
>>
>> > wrote:

>> >Linear or crosslinked?

>> Tropical rain forest.

>Obviously knows nothing about polyethylene.
>
>John Kuthe...

You know nothing[period] Plastic is made from fossil fuel and fossil
fuel is from rain forests.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:

>> I've found the best thing to do is wipe the new board with mineral oil
>> every day for at least four days. *It will provide a decent seal from
>> water and juices.

>Can ya do this with any success on a rather old board?

Sure, but first you should remove the top layer of wood. You can sand
it or plane it, or (my fav) use a razor blade.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 15:35:50 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 18:08:56 -0500, Jim Elbrecht >
>wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 14:37:25 -0800, sf > wrote:

>> >You put your bamboo board in the dishwasher?

>> Yep--- over and over again. It doesn't mind. Nor do the bamboo
>> stirrers, spoons and spatulas.
>>

>Oddly, I don't think twice about putting my bamboo utensils in the
>dishwasher but I wouldn't think of putting my bamboo cutting boards in.
>Go figger.

What's to figger... obviously yoose gals wood want your utensils more
sanitary.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 19, 7:19*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 13:52:03 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
>

> > wrote:
> >On Feb 19, 3:35*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> >> On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 12:51:39 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe

> >> Tropical rain forest.

> >Obviously knows nothing about polyethylene.

> >John Kuthe...

> You know nothing[period] *Plastic is made from fossil fuel and fossil
> fuel is from rain forests.

Without Googling, what's the difference between linear and crosslinked
polyethylene?

I know all plastics come from compounds formed from from ancient
Cretaceous period forests, DUH!

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 22:40:09 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:

> I got some highly recommended bamboo cutting boards, and don't
> like them at all. They really get cut up. Recently I bought an
> Epicurean cutting board, like this:
>
> http://www.epicureancs.com/nonslipseries.php
>
> I like it a lot and would get more if I could afford them. Those
> non-slip corners really work on granite counters. (Some of my old
> cutting boards spin around when I try to use them.)

Have you tried the towel trick?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:

>I know all plastics come from compounds formed from from ancient
>Cretaceous period forests, DUH!

Don't they make plastics out of petroleum? There are huge undersea
deposits that came from sea creatures.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:

>I like it a lot and would get more if I could afford them. Those
>non-slip corners really work on granite counters. (Some of my old
>cutting boards spin around when I try to use them.)

I put little stick-on feet underneath the board for the same reason.
You can get them at a home center.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

>>>There's nothing renewable about bamboo boards nor can they absorb
>>>mineral oil... Btw, bamboo is
>>>not wood, it's a type of grass.

>> Are you doing some kind of Orwellian double-think?
>>
>>> 80% of bamboo boards is composed of a resin binder
>>>(abrasive plastic). Bamboo boards are strictly decorative (if one
>>>likes that look, I don't), they are hell on cutlery.

>> To put it politely, my experience differs from yours. I would also,
>> respectfully and without questioning your sanity, cast doubt on your
>> assertion about "80% binder".

>He just makes that up (like he does everything) and launches into this
>rant every time this comes up. He has yet to back it up with any
>facts.
>
>I love my bamboo boards. They have barley any noticeable scratches on
>them. My neoprene boarss, OTOH, suggest that I've probably ingested a
>bunch of that.

I suspected he was full of it when he ran away after his first troll.

I have a largish bamboo one and a smaller polypropylene one. I think
the bamboo one does inflict more wear on knife edges.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 20, 7:08*am, George M. Middius > wrote:
> John Kuthe wrote:
> >I know all plastics come from compounds formed from from ancient
> >Cretaceous period forests, DUH!

> Don't they make plastics out of petroleum? There are huge undersea
> deposits that came from sea creatures.

Yes they (we?) make plastics out of petroleum. Most of which comes
from ancient Cretacious forests.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:

> On Feb 20, 7:08 am, George M. Middius > wrote:
> > John Kuthe wrote:
> > >I know all plastics come from compounds formed from from ancient
> > >Cretaceous period forests, DUH!

> > Don't they make plastics out of petroleum? There are huge undersea
> > deposits that came from sea creatures.

> Yes they (we?) make plastics out of petroleum. Most of which comes
> from ancient Cretacious forests.

I used to think that. I know that coal comes from old forests. I saw a
documentary once though that seemed to indicate that the petroleum deposits
came from plankton in the old seas.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 20, 8:51*am, Gary > wrote:
> John Kuthe wrote:

> > > Don't they make plastics out of petroleum? There are huge undersea
> > > deposits that came from sea creatures.

> > Yes they (we?) make plastics out of petroleum. Most of which comes
> > from ancient Cretacious forests.

> I used to think that. *I know that coal comes from old forests. *I saw a
> documentary once though that seemed to indicate that the petroleum deposits
> came from plankton in the old seas.
>
> Gary

I'd be interested in that documentary. It's all "fossil fuel", and
probably varies a lot as to where it all comes from. Most interesting
to me is it's almost all stored energy from the sun! Imagine that!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:

> On Feb 20, 8:51 am, Gary wrote:
> > John Kuthe wrote:
> > > Yes they (we?) make plastics out of petroleum. Most of which comes
> > > from ancient Cretacious forests.

> > I used to think that. I know that coal comes from old forests. I saw a
> > documentary once though that seemed to indicate that the petroleum deposits
> > came from plankton in the old seas.
> >
> > Gary

> I'd be interested in that documentary. It's all "fossil fuel", and
> probably varies a lot as to where it all comes from. Most interesting
> to me is it's almost all stored energy from the sun! Imagine that!

I saw the documentary on either Discovery Channel or History channel...watch
for a repeat

Gary