Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What Is Your Most Or Least Favorite Type Of Nut?

On 2/19/2012 1:08 AM, sf wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 21:39:02 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> I don't really like roasted cashews at all but I do like raw
>> ones. Actually I prefer any nuts to be raw

> Okay, that's weird.

Raw cashews can be toxic and an allergen, so yes, it is weird.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 16:22:56 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>
> >Lou Decruss wrote:

> >> How long and at what temp?

> >Check back here tomorrow and I will give you that info. I have some
> >customers that give me bags of raw peanuts each year from their farm and
> >I've forgotten the cooking instructions. I've lost her phone number but
> >have just emailed her. I'll let you know in the morning.

> Thanks Gary. You're a mensch.

hmmmm...I hope that's a good thing???? :-o

Anyway, I talked to them this evening and they told me the roasting
technique again...

Spread the raw (in the shell) peanuts on a cookie sheet, one layer only.
Slow roast in oven at 275-300 degrees for 20 minutes or more, and stir them
every 5-10 minutes.

Basically, after about 20 minutes you'll start to smell them. From there
take them out or cook longer if you like longer cooked.

Gary

PS - I have no idea how you would do salted in the shell. I'm guessing that
you would soak them in a very salty brine for a long time before roasting?
Just guessing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

pavane wrote:
> "Jean B." > wrote in message
>> George M. Middius wrote:

>>> They're a bargain at TJ, but you're right IMO about the freshness. A
>>> drugstore chain here (CVS) also has shelled pistachios, and sometimes
>>> Safeway has them too.
>>>

>> Fresher than TJ's? I have some of the unshelled pistachios, because I was
>> thinking of making a fruitcake. It didn't materialize though. I hope
>> they are usable for cooking.

> Agree on the problem, but remember that the
> toaster oven is your friend. Unless they have
> spoiled, unlikely, they will pop back to toasty
> freshness real quick-like.
>
> pavane

That's what I was hoping--that the staleness is just a matter of
texture. I have been toying with the idea of doing something with
cardamom and possibly rosewater. Maybe egg white to make the
seasoning stick.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 19:11:40 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:

>> >Check back here tomorrow and I will give you that info. I have some
>> >customers that give me bags of raw peanuts each year from their farm and
>> >I've forgotten the cooking instructions. I've lost her phone number but
>> >have just emailed her. I'll let you know in the morning.

>> Thanks Gary. You're a mensch.

>hmmmm...I hope that's a good thing???? :-o
>
>Anyway, I talked to them this evening and they told me the roasting
>technique again...
>
>Spread the raw (in the shell) peanuts on a cookie sheet, one layer only.
>Slow roast in oven at 275-300 degrees for 20 minutes or more, and stir them
>every 5-10 minutes.
>
>Basically, after about 20 minutes you'll start to smell them. From there
>take them out or cook longer if you like longer cooked.
>
>Gary
>
>PS - I have no idea how you would do salted in the shell. I'm guessing that
>you would soak them in a very salty brine for a long time before roasting?
>Just guessing.

Thanks. The ones I see are raw but already shelled. I'll get a bag
and experiment.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> > I'm allergic to tree nuts, but can eat cashews and almonds. *Which I
> > like. *Cashews are the best. *The other tree nuts put me in the ER.

> > N.

> It would be interesting to see how you experimented. I think I would just
> avoid everything.
>
> I picked up some raw peanuts tonight. I was checking out a new discount
> grocery, bottom dollar, a food lion store.
>
> Greg

My allergy showed up when I was 7 years old - a LONG time ago. It was
hazelnuts (filberts) - which today would kill me if I ate a whole
one. The slightest bit of filbert oil in a teensy bit of European
chocolate will send me to the ER. The others I believe were found
accidentally (my grandmother always used black walnuts in her cakes -
it only took one bite). The reaction starts immediately, so I never
ate a whole nut before becoming aware. I've never tried macadamia
nuts, but I just assume I can't eat them. The basic allergic
reactions happened so long ago, I can't really recall exactly how I
found out about each one. I do remember eating something with pecans
on it, and my lips swelled up to like 4 times their size, and then I
have the anaphylactic shock which comes after.

Enough. For decades now, if I can't ask the cook, I don't eat it.
People who can eat nuts don't always taste them when they are in
something.
(I always ask about chicken salad because for some reason, some
restaurants put pecans in it.)

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary > wrote:
> Lou Decruss wrote:

>>> Check back here tomorrow and I will give you that info. I have some
>>> customers that give me bags of raw peanuts each year from their farm and
>>> I've forgotten the cooking instructions. I've lost her phone number but
>>> have just emailed her. I'll let you know in the morning.

>> Thanks Gary. You're a mensch.

> hmmmm...I hope that's a good thing???? :-o
>
> Anyway, I talked to them this evening and they told me the roasting
> technique again...
>
> Spread the raw (in the shell) peanuts on a cookie sheet, one layer only.
> Slow roast in oven at 275-300 degrees for 20 minutes or more, and stir them
> every 5-10 minutes.
>
> Basically, after about 20 minutes you'll start to smell them. From there
> take them out or cook longer if you like longer cooked.
>
> Gary
>
> PS - I have no idea how you would do salted in the shell. I'm guessing that
> you would soak them in a very salty brine for a long time before roasting?
> Just guessing.

Oh yes, I've roasted before. I just don't see them sold much. They just
taste so fresh. I never buy salted, but the dollar store has a cheap can of
mildly salted mixed nuts which I like.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl > writes:

> Raw cashews can be toxic and an allergen, so yes, it is weird.

I keep hearing they're toxic. I also keep seeing them for sale, and I
know people who eat them regularly, and I have eaten them myself.
Nothing happened.

So, I dunno about toxic. I'm sure some people are allergic to them, at
least, but I'm not one of them.

--
David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 14:02:14 -0600, David Dyer-Bennet >
wrote:

>Cheryl > writes:
>
>> Raw cashews can be toxic and an allergen, so yes, it is weird.

>I keep hearing they're toxic. I also keep seeing them for sale, and I
>know people who eat them regularly, and I have eaten them myself.
>Nothing happened.

I don't know how they do it, but 'raw' cashews are already boiled--
just not roasted.

This page explains the 'how', if not the 'why'.
http://www.living-foods.com/articles/rawcashew.html

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim Elbrecht > writes:

> On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 14:02:14 -0600, David Dyer-Bennet >
> wrote:
>
>>Cheryl > writes:
>>
>>> Raw cashews can be toxic and an allergen, so yes, it is weird.

>>I keep hearing they're toxic. I also keep seeing them for sale, and I
>>know people who eat them regularly, and I have eaten them myself.
>>Nothing happened.

> I don't know how they do it, but 'raw' cashews are already boiled--
> just not roasted.
>
> This page explains the 'how', if not the 'why'.
> http://www.living-foods.com/articles/rawcashew.html

Kind of gives the why -- the heat method is easier to get through the
shell without contaminating the nut, they say.

I knew it was complicated. Yeah, that's complicated.