Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Brazil Nuts

"pavane" > wrote in message
news
> Thank you. I had never thought beyond the eat-them-as-they-come-
> from-the-can stage. Very good ideas, they all sound wonderful as
> do the techniques of using them. I really appreciate your efforts
> to spread the word about Brazil nuts.
>
> pavane

Toasted Brazil nuts are also nice on shortbread cookies.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What Is Your Most Or Least Favorite Type Of Nut?

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> z z wrote:
>>
>> I have always wanted to try "chestnuts roasting on an open fire." :-)

> hahaha YEAH! They must be good since there's an old traditional song
> about
> them. I've never tried them either but that's on my list of things to do
> before it's too late. ;o
>
> Gary

It must have been 35 years ago, at least, my mother brought home a bag of
chestnuts to roast. The only thing I remember about them is you're supposed
to cut an X in the shell before roasting to release the steam. Those shells
are *hard* to cut! I don't remember much else about them but I have a vague
recollection we were disappointed. The nuts were probably old.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pico Rico" > wrote in message

> "Judy Haffner" > wrote in message
>>
>> Judy

> the poster that keeps asking such survey questions. I can't figure out
> why so many feel compelled to respond.

What's wrong with asking for opinions about food? Since Chatty Cathy has
made herself scarce we don't get any surveys on the RFC web site.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message

> "Pico Rico" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Judy Haffner" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> Judy

>> the poster that keeps asking such survey questions. I can't figure out
>> why so many feel compelled to respond.
>>

> What's wrong with asking for opinions about food? Since Chatty Cathy has
> made herself scarce we don't get any surveys on the RFC web site.
>
> Jill

it just seems to be a silly way to go about it.

It makes more sense to me to ask a more specific question, and even if the

But these shotgun approach questions? Not for me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> "Gary" > wrote in message ...
> > z z wrote:
> >>
> >> I have always wanted to try "chestnuts roasting on an open fire." :-)

> > hahaha YEAH! They must be good since there's an old traditional song
> > about
> > them. I've never tried them either but that's on my list of things to do
> > before it's too late. ;o
> >
> > Gary

> It must have been 35 years ago, at least, my mother brought home a bag of
> chestnuts to roast. The only thing I remember about them is you're supposed
> to cut an X in the shell before roasting to release the steam. Those shells
> are *hard* to cut! I don't remember much else about them but I have a vague
> recollection we were disappointed. The nuts were probably old.

Many years ago, I lived where we had a giant black walnut tree. I harvested
those walnuts but they were a big disappointment. The nuts tasted bitter to
me and as far as getting them open? Make sure you have a 20lb sledge hammer
handy. heheh

Gary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 07:28:00 -0500, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 22:07:21 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 04:59:35 +0000 (UTC), gregz >
> >wrote:
> >
> >> If you follow Andrew zimmern, he hates walnuts.

> >Never heard of him.

> Check your local listings for Bizarre Foods. You *must* watch him
> once. This year he is traveling around the states & eating *our*
> Bizarre foods.

Okay, I see it's the travel channel. Isn't that the channel with
Anthony Bourdain? If the Zimmern and his show are anything remotely
like Bourdain, I won't watch it. I can't stand shows like DD&D or Man
vs Food either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 11:14:55 -0500, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

> It must have been 35 years ago, at least, my mother brought home a bag of
> chestnuts to roast. The only thing I remember about them is you're supposed
> to cut an X in the shell before roasting to release the steam. Those shells
> are *hard* to cut! I don't remember much else about them but I have a vague
> recollection we were disappointed. The nuts were probably old.

I had a long time between chestnut tastings. Decades ago I had a good
friend and neighbor who loved chestnuts, so I tasted them roasted and
in a cake (made with chestnut paste). I thought it was mealy and/or
bland. This last winter, I got myself a few to put in stuffing and
roasted them myself. Incidentally, I cut the X with a kitchen knife
and it was pretty easy. Anyway, I roasted them and didn't burn too
many... tasted a few and they were ok, but not so wonderful I feel
driven to do it again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pico Rico wrote:

>it just seems to be a silly way to go
> about it.

>It makes more sense to me to ask a
> more specific question, and even if the

>But these shotgun approach questions?
> Not for me.

Then.....if you don't care for threads asking questions about food
related subjects, then why are you in here posting to something you say
is not for you? That's what doesn't make sense to me. <shrug>

I was under the impression this is where people post, that are
interested in cooking and food come to post, and start conversations
along those lines? I think it's good to start new threads, and keep the
newsgroup fresh, lively and interesting, and what better way to do it,
than get people's opinions? If it's not for you, so be it, but it seems
to make more sense to me, that you'd just ignore the threads that you
are opposed to, rather than post only to bitch? No one is holding a
knife to your back making you post here, correct?

Have a nice day!

Judy (who enjoys comments from the posters)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 08:19:48 -0800, "Pico Rico"
> wrote:

> But these shotgun approach questions? Not for me.

This is a good opportunity to use your kill file and tell the filter
to expire x days after the last post.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Judy Haffner" > wrote in message

> Pico Rico wrote:
>
>>it just seems to be a silly way to go
>> about it.

>>It makes more sense to me to ask a
>> more specific question, and even if the

>>But these shotgun approach questions?
>> Not for me.

> Then.....if you don't care for threads asking questions about food
> related subjects, then why are you in here posting to something you say
> is not for you? That's what doesn't make sense to me. <shrug>
>
> I was under the impression this is where people post, that are
> interested in cooking and food come to post, and start conversations
> along those lines? I think it's good to start new threads, and keep the
> newsgroup fresh, lively and interesting, and what better way to do it,
> than get people's opinions? If it's not for you, so be it, but it seems
> to make more sense to me, that you'd just ignore the threads that you
> are opposed to, rather than post only to bitch? No one is holding a
> knife to your back making you post here, correct?
>
> Have a nice day!
>
> Judy (who enjoys comments from the posters)

I wasn't bitching, just commenting, with some specific reasoning.
Apparently others like the shotgun approach, so have at it.

have a nice day yourself!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Gary" > wrote in message ...
>> z z wrote:
>>>
>>> I have always wanted to try "chestnuts roasting on an open fire." :-)

>> hahaha YEAH! They must be good since there's an old traditional song
>> about
>> them. I've never tried them either but that's on my list of things to do
>> before it's too late. ;o
>>
>> Gary

>It must have been 35 years ago, at least, my mother brought home a bag of
>chestnuts to roast. The only thing I remember about them is you're supposed
>to cut an X in the shell before roasting to release the steam. Those shells
>are *hard* to cut! I don't remember much else about them but I have a vague
>recollection we were disappointed. The nuts were probably old.
>
>Jill

During winter in NYC there used to be a street vender selling
chestnuts roasted over an open fire on just about every street corner,
but no more.

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2010...dors-open-fire

http://articles.nydailynews.com/1996...efeller-center

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 11:32:00 -0800, "Pico Rico"
> wrote:

>"Judy Haffner" > wrote in message
>>
>> Pico Rico wrote:
>>
>>>it just seems to be a silly way to go
>>> about it.

>>>It makes more sense to me to ask a
>>> more specific question, and even if the

>>>But these shotgun approach questions?
>>> Not for me.

>> Then.....if you don't care for threads asking questions about food
>> related subjects, then why are you in here posting to something you say
>> is not for you? That's what doesn't make sense to me. <shrug>
>>
>> I was under the impression this is where people post, that are
>> interested in cooking and food come to post, and start conversations
>> along those lines? I think it's good to start new threads, and keep the
>> newsgroup fresh, lively and interesting, and what better way to do it,
>> than get people's opinions? If it's not for you, so be it, but it seems
>> to make more sense to me, that you'd just ignore the threads that you
>> are opposed to, rather than post only to bitch? No one is holding a
>> knife to your back making you post here, correct?
>>
>> Have a nice day!
>>
>> Judy (who enjoys comments from the posters)

>I wasn't bitching, just commenting, with some specific reasoning.
>Apparently others like the shotgun approach, so have at it.

Sometimes they develop into good threads. As long as it's about food
it doesn't bother me.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 19, 7:26*am, Gorio > wrote:
> merryb;1715148 Wrote:
>

> > On Feb 18, 1:21*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:-
> > I like all nuts and most often buy cashews, peanuts, almonds, pecans
> > and
> > walnuts.

> > Do you like to just eat them as is, or have special things you use
> > them
> > in? I use a lot with my baking.

> > The only nut I really don't care for the flavor of is black walnuts,
> > as
> > are so strong, or something.

> > Maybe some of you grow certain varieties of nuts in your yard? They
> > don't do well here in Alaska, but Swede's sister use to send us fresh
> > pecans from her yard, in AR. before she passed away. She even shelled
> > them!

> > Judy-

> > We have wild hazelnuts all over here, but they are tiny and the birds
> > get them all.
> > My fave is pistachio.

> I have the same deal with hazelnuts. LOVE 'em; but the birds just ravage
> those bushes.
>
> I'm a pistachio person as well.
>
> +2, Judy.
>
> --
> Gorio

Are you here in the Pacific NW?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lou Decruss" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 11:32:00 -0800, "Pico Rico"
> > wrote:

>>> Then.....if you don't care for threads asking questions about food
>>> related subjects, then why are you in here posting to something you say
>>> is not for you? That's what doesn't make sense to me. <shrug>
>>>
>>> I was under the impression this is where people post, that are
>>> interested in cooking and food come to post, and start conversations
>>> along those lines? I think it's good to start new threads, and keep the
>>> newsgroup fresh, lively and interesting, and what better way to do it,
>>> than get people's opinions? If it's not for you, so be it, but it seems
>>> to make more sense to me, that you'd just ignore the threads that you
>>> are opposed to, rather than post only to bitch? No one is holding a
>>> knife to your back making you post here, correct?
>>>
>>> Have a nice day!
>>>
>>> Judy (who enjoys comments from the posters)

>>I wasn't bitching, just commenting, with some specific reasoning.
>>Apparently others like the shotgun approach, so have at it.

> Sometimes they develop into good threads. As long as it's about food
> it doesn't bother me.
>
> Lou

I find the signal to noise ratio to be far too low.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 19/02/2012 4:36 PM, Pico Rico wrote:
bitching, just commenting, with some specific reasoning.
>>> Apparently others like the shotgun approach, so have at it.

>> Sometimes they develop into good threads. As long as it's about food
>> it doesn't bother me.
>>
>> Lou
>>

> I find the signal to noise ratio to be far too low.

The posts you made with objections...... are they noise or signal?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
.com...
> On 19/02/2012 4:36 PM, Pico Rico wrote:
> bitching, just commenting, with some specific reasoning.
>>>
>>> Sometimes they develop into good threads. As long as it's about food
>>> it doesn't bother me.
>>>
>>> Lou
>>>

>> I find the signal to noise ratio to be far too low.
>>

> The posts you made with objections...... are they noise or signal?

signal with respect to my comments as to the desirability of such threads.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

there is no bad nut, black walnuts are my favorite with english a close
second, Lee
"Judy Haffner" > wrote in message

> I like all nuts and most often buy cashews, peanuts, almonds, pecans and
> walnuts.
>
> Do you like to just eat them as is, or have special things you use them
> in? I use a lot with my baking.
>
> The only nut I really don't care for the flavor of is black walnuts, as
> are so strong, or something.
>
> Maybe some of you grow certain varieties of nuts in your yard? They
> don't do well here in Alaska, but Swede's sister use to send us fresh
> pecans from her yard, in AR. before she passed away. She even shelled
> them!
>
> Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
>Pico Rico wrote:
>bitching, just commenting, with some specific reasoning.
>>>
>>> Sometimes they develop into good threads. As long as it's about food
>>> it doesn't bother me.

>> I find the signal to noise ratio to be far too low.

>The posts you made with objections...... are they noise or signal?

The Pico Rico posts are so inane as to be considered entertainment,
slapstick.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 18, 3:21*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
> I like all nuts and most often buy cashews, peanuts, almonds, pecans and
> walnuts.

Favorite? Hickory. Almonds are great too. Really green pistachios
are a thrill, but over-roasted ones suck. I eat pecans, but prefer
them for their oil, which I consume in its pure form. The only nut I
don't like is chestnuts.

I loved black walnuts when I was a kid, but not so much now.

> Judy

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Judy Haffner wrote:
> l, not -l wrote:
>
>> My favorite is pistachios, which I eat as
>> a snack several times-a-week.

> We also like pistachios, but I sure wish you could buy them already
> shelled?! If they have them as such, I've sure never seen them?!
>
> Judy

I can get those at Trader Joe's... BUT they don't seem to be as
fresh as the ones in the shells, alas.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:

>> We also like pistachios, but I sure wish you could buy them already
>> shelled?! If they have them as such, I've sure never seen them?!

>I can get those at Trader Joe's... BUT they don't seem to be as
>fresh as the ones in the shells, alas.

They're a bargain at TJ, but you're right IMO about the freshness. A
drugstore chain here (CVS) also has shelled pistachios, and sometimes
Safeway has them too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/20/2012 8:30 AM, George M. Middius wrote:
> Jean B. wrote:
>
>>> We also like pistachios, but I sure wish you could buy them already
>>> shelled?! If they have them as such, I've sure never seen them?!

>> I can get those at Trader Joe's... BUT they don't seem to be as
>> fresh as the ones in the shells, alas.

> They're a bargain at TJ, but you're right IMO about the freshness. A
> drugstore chain here (CVS) also has shelled pistachios, and sometimes
> Safeway has them too.

Oh, shelling pistachios is fun and (fortunately) slows down my eating.
I've seen shelled pistachios but I don't think they are toasted or
salted and thus don't keep too well.

--
Jim Silverton

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 18, 3:21*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
> I like all nuts and most often buy cashews, peanuts, almonds, pecans and
> walnuts.
>
> Do you like to just eat them as is, or have special things you use them
> in? I use a lot with my baking.
>
> The only nut I really don't care for the flavor of is black walnuts, as
> are so strong, or something.
>
> Maybe some of you grow certain varieties of nuts in your yard? They
> don't do well here in Alaska, but Swede's sister use to send us fresh
> pecans from her yard, in AR. before she passed away. She even shelled
> them!
>
> Judy

I'm allergic to tree nuts, but can eat cashews and almonds. Which I
like. Cashews are the best. The other tree nuts put me in the ER.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 08:26:59 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
> wrote:

>On Feb 18, 3:21*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
>> I like all nuts and most often buy cashews, peanuts, almonds, pecans and
>> walnuts.
>>
>> Do you like to just eat them as is, or have special things you use them
>> in? I use a lot with my baking.
>>
>> The only nut I really don't care for the flavor of is black walnuts, as
>> are so strong, or something.
>>
>> Maybe some of you grow certain varieties of nuts in your yard? They
>> don't do well here in Alaska, but Swede's sister use to send us fresh
>> pecans from her yard, in AR. before she passed away. She even shelled
>> them!
>>
>> Judy

>I'm allergic to tree nuts, but can eat cashews and almonds. Which I
>like. Cashews are the best. The other tree nuts put me in the ER.

Maybe because of how they processed to neutralize their natural
toxicity, right off the tree cashews especially are quite poisonous.

These are the best nuts you can buy anywhere, if you like cashews
you'll love these, they're fabulous. And their pistachios are highly
addictive, I especially like the ones from CA, they're larger and
their legs open very easily. Shipping is free:
http://www.nutsonthenet.com/gold-series-c-306.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:
>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> Nancy2 wrote:
>>
>> >I'm allergic to tree nuts, but can eat cashews and almonds. *Which I
>> >like. *Cashews are the best. *The other tree nuts put me in the ER.

>> Maybe because of how they processed to neutralize their natural
>> toxicity, right off the tree cashews especially are quite poisonous.
>>
>> These are the best nuts you can buy anywhere, if you like cashews
>> you'll love these, they're fabulous. *And their pistachios are highly
>> addictive, I especially like the ones from CA, they're larger and
>> their legs open very easily. *Shipping is free:http://www.nutsonthenet.com/gold-series-c-306.html- Hide quoted text -

>I know it's a small evergreen tree, but I've always thought of cashews
>as bush nuts because the trees are small.

Small is relative. Cashew trees are actually not small, they are
typically 20 feet tall and 30 feet wide. They look like a bush in
pictures because cashew fruit is heavy and when ripe pulls the
branches down till they touch the ground, also making it easier to
harvest.

>And I think almonds are in
>the same family as peaches (which is why peach cobbler is so tasty
>with a little almond flavoring) - anyway, according to Wiki, almonds
>aren't nuts, they're a drupe.

Almonds are nuts, their fruit is a drupe.

>Which still doesn't explain why I can
>eat cashews but no other tree nuts. Curious.

I already told you, cashews are toxic until processed, in the
processing whatever they contain that makes you allergic most likely
is destroyed along with the poisonous substance.

Cashew fruit is delicious, and makes an excellent wine. Cashew fruit
is much too delicate to ship so you won't find it in the US.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 20, 4:45*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

> Cashew fruit is delicious, and makes an excellent wine. *Cashew fruit
> is much too delicate to ship so you won't find it in the US.

But I'm sure that you grow your own cashew fruits (of the most
excellent variety!) and make the best cashew fruit wine, which you
serve to your many female guests.

Am I right, Sheldon? ;-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Least? The nuts i have to create a new filter list to eliminate from my
personal mix of nuts posting to this group

Most? The big mix of favorite nuts that are still here
--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/18/2012 4:21 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:

> I like all nuts and most often buy cashews, peanuts, almonds, pecans and
> walnuts.

I love peanuts, almonds, cashews, and pistachios. Cashews and
pistachios are my absolute favorites.

I *HATE* pecans and walnuts. (Although there are a few exceptions
where I will eat them. Like the nut crescents we make for Easter
which have the walnuts all ground up and mixed with lots of sugar
and egg whites.) The main thing I don't like about them is the
bitter skin.

Not totally crazy about macadamias or hazelnuts as I have often
had them and they're rancid. They're okay if they are not rancid.

> Do you like to just eat them as is, or have special things you use them
> in? I use a lot with my baking.

I like them plain or in things. Although, in general I don't like
nuts in ice cream or anything "moist", like cake or cookies, etc., as
they tend to get "soggy" and I don't like the texture. I like them
in candy and if they are coated in chocolate or candy they are okay
in ice cream as the coating keeps them nice and crunchy. The crunchy
issue is not a problem with cashews and pistachios so much as they are
not particularly crunchy to begin with. But with almonds and peanuts
it's a big problem for me.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 01:20:07 -0800, JL > wrote:

> Least? The nuts i have to create a new filter list to eliminate from my
> personal mix of nuts posting to this group
>
> Most? The big mix of favorite nuts that are still here

Welcome back, JL!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/21/2012 12:07 PM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 01:20:07 -0800, > wrote:
>
>> Least? The nuts i have to create a new filter list to eliminate from my
>> personal mix of nuts posting to this group
>>
>> Most? The big mix of favorite nuts that are still here

> Welcome back, JL!

There he is! I hope I'm on your list of good nuts.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 > wrote:
> On Feb 18, 3:21 pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
>> I like all nuts and most often buy cashews, peanuts, almonds, pecans and
>> walnuts.
>>
>> Do you like to just eat them as is, or have special things you use them
>> in? I use a lot with my baking.
>>
>> The only nut I really don't care for the flavor of is black walnuts, as
>> are so strong, or something.
>>
>> Maybe some of you grow certain varieties of nuts in your yard? They
>> don't do well here in Alaska, but Swede's sister use to send us fresh
>> pecans from her yard, in AR. before she passed away. She even shelled
>> them!
>>
>> Judy

> I'm allergic to tree nuts, but can eat cashews and almonds. Which I
> like. Cashews are the best. The other tree nuts put me in the ER.
>
> N.

It would be interesting to see how you experimented. I think I would just
avoid everything.

I picked up some raw peanuts tonight. I was checking out a new discount
grocery, bottom dollar, a food lion store.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

gregz wrote:

> I picked up some raw peanuts tonight. I was checking out a new discount
> grocery, bottom dollar, a food lion store.

Well don't eat them raw. YUCK. Roast them in the oven first.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 15:49:20 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>gregz wrote:
>>
>> I picked up some raw peanuts tonight. I was checking out a new discount
>> grocery, bottom dollar, a food lion store.

>Well don't eat them raw. YUCK. Roast them in the oven first.

How long and at what temp? I've seen them at one of the places we
shop and wondered how they'd roast if done along with caramel corn.

TIA

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> On 2/21/2012 12:07 PM, sf wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 01:20:07 -0800, > wrote:
>>
>>> Least? The nuts i have to create a new filter list to eliminate from my
>>> personal mix of nuts posting to this group
>>>
>>> Most? The big mix of favorite nuts that are still here

>> Welcome back, JL!
>>

> There he is! I hope I'm on your list of good nuts.
>
> nancy

*chuckle* im very fond of most nuts, cant think of a single example i
actively dislike though some i am more fond of than others
--
JL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 01:20:07 -0800, JL > wrote:
>

>>Least? The nuts i have to create a new filter list to eliminate from my
>>personal mix of nuts posting to this group
>>
>>Most? The big mix of favorite nuts that are still here

> Welcome back, JL!

Thanks SF! after 6 weeks without convenient access i questioned whether
to even bother, i always new i had an internet addiction but its only
really real when one is forced to go without that one really realizes
the depths of the addiction.

However, and especially on the yacht its a very nice way of staying in
touch with people i no longer see on a regular basis.
--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 15:49:20 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>
> >gregz wrote:
> >>
> >> I picked up some raw peanuts tonight. I was checking out a new discount
> >> grocery, bottom dollar, a food lion store.

> >Well don't eat them raw. YUCK. Roast them in the oven first.

> How long and at what temp?

Check back here tomorrow and I will give you that info. I have some
customers that give me bags of raw peanuts each year from their farm and
I've forgotten the cooking instructions. I've lost her phone number but
have just emailed her. I'll let you know in the morning.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 16:22:56 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:

>> >Well don't eat them raw. YUCK. Roast them in the oven first.

>> How long and at what temp?

>Check back here tomorrow and I will give you that info. I have some
>customers that give me bags of raw peanuts each year from their farm and
>I've forgotten the cooking instructions. I've lost her phone number but
>have just emailed her. I'll let you know in the morning.

Thanks Gary. You're a mensch.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 13:20:08 -0800, JL > wrote:

> However, and especially on the yacht its a very nice way of staying in
> touch with people i no longer see on a regular basis.

It's a cruel, cruel world JL!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 12:46:44 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
> wrote:

>On Feb 20, 12:42*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>> On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 08:26:59 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
>>

>> > wrote:
>> >On Feb 18, 3:21*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:

snippage................

>I know it's a small evergreen tree, but I've always thought of cashews
>as bush nuts because the trees are small. And I think almonds are in
>the same family as peaches (which is why peach cobbler is so tasty
>with a little almond flavoring) - anyway, according to Wiki, almonds
>aren't nuts, they're a drupe. Which still doesn't explain why I can
>eat cashews but no other tree nuts. Curious.
>
>N.

My grandmother had a cashew tree and I would describe it more as a
regular tree, not a small bush. I always found it intriguing to see
the actual cashew below its fruit.

Just my $.02.

aloha,
Cea