Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Wear-Ever Super Shooter

There are a few kitchen tools which have such
a loyal following that demand for them on eBay
is consistently high. They seldom go cheaply
because there are many people watching to snap
up a bargain. Champion juicers are one example,
as are Excalibur dehydrators.

I recently discovered the Wear-Ever Super Shooter
is another. These are electric cookies presses
that ceased to be manufactured sometime around
1980. Many are available, but a clean one,
complete and with box, will usually cost about
$20 to $30 before shipping, but sometimes they
go for much more.

Note that there are also Super Shooter cookie
presses that were made by Hamilton Beach and
Proctor Silex. These are completely different.
I guess there was no trademark on the name.

I wanted one to do some experiments in depositing
ganache. Some of my ganache formulations are
very sticky and difficult to handle. I've been
using small ice cream scoops to make truffles,
but I got the idea of extruding them. I first
thought about a sauce dispensing gun, which is
like a caulk gun. But they have a ratchet action
which would put a ripple in the extrusion.
A pastry bag would require me to control the
dispensing rate and the tip motion simultaneously.
I think the electric cookie press might be the
perfect solution, freeing up all my dexterity for
concentrating on making the deposit.

I guess I'm not the only one to notice the Super
Shooter. I managed to nab one cheaply in the
middle of the day in the middle of the week, but
it hasn't arrived yet. This will be an interesting
toy. If it works well, I may end up buying more.
I may end up hoarding. Someday, people will
realize what a great machine this is and regret
not having bought them when they were cheap.
But I'll have an enormous stockpile of them!
Better than investing in gold, I tell ya!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l, not -l" wrote:

> There are a lot of great old, small kitchen appliances that have a huge
> following. I sell new and used parts for old Rival food slicers,
> Shred-o-mats, etc. and am constantly amazed how many are out there and the
> lengths people will go to keep them functioning. For the slicers alone I
> have sold over 300 sets of new replacment rubber "feet" in the past couple
> of years.
>
> Others that have a big following are Kitchenaid A-9 coffee grinders and
> mixers as well as many of the old H-B coffee makers.

I wish somebody would create a website that
cataloged all of these old machines, so I could
see what's out there I should have.

I've been browsing Toast-O-Lators in the past
few days. The last three went for $122, $125,
and $133, so they're not out of reach.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

On 2/18/2012 3:20 PM, Mark Thorson wrote:
> There are a few kitchen tools which have such
> a loyal following that demand for them on eBay
> is consistently high. They seldom go cheaply
> because there are many people watching to snap
> up a bargain. Champion juicers are one example,
> as are Excalibur dehydrators.
>
> I recently discovered the Wear-Ever Super Shooter
> is another. These are electric cookies presses
> that ceased to be manufactured sometime around
> 1980. Many are available, but a clean one,
> complete and with box, will usually cost about
> $20 to $30 before shipping, but sometimes they
> go for much more.

<snip>

> I guess I'm not the only one to notice the Super
> Shooter. I managed to nab one cheaply in the
> middle of the day in the middle of the week, but
> it hasn't arrived yet. This will be an interesting
> toy. If it works well, I may end up buying more.
> I may end up hoarding. Someday, people will
> realize what a great machine this is and regret
> not having bought them when they were cheap.
> But I'll have an enormous stockpile of them!
> Better than investing in gold, I tell ya!

Cuisinart makes a fairly decent electric cookie press that runs about
$29.99 at BB&B. If you use a 20%-off coupon, it's even less than the
$30. OH! Seems the price is now $19.99 - I'm going to have to buy two
or three just to hoard them when the current one dies. Here's the link
-- http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...p?SKU=16783722 -- HTH.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 16:24:56 -0800, meh > wrote:

>On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 17:45:41 -0600, Sky > wrote:
>

>>Cuisinart makes a fairly decent electric cookie press that runs about
>>$29.99 at BB&B. If you use a 20%-off coupon, it's even less than the
>>$30. OH! Seems the price is now $19.99 - I'm going to have to buy two
>>or three just to hoard them when the current one dies. Here's the link
>>-- http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...p?SKU=16783722 -- HTH.

>And WITH that,
>you can have cookies that look JUST LIKE they came from the grocery store!
>

>If that IS what you really want.

You have never had home made spritz cookies?

Gosh, I got my first cookie press well over 50 years ago.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l, not -l" wrote:

> On 18-Feb-2012, Mark Thorson > wrote:
>
> > I wish somebody would create a website that
> > cataloged all of these old machines, so I could
> > see what's out there I should have.
> >
> > I've been browsing Toast-O-Lators in the past
> > few days. The last three went for $122, $125,
> > and $133, so they're not out of reach.

> Though I would find such a site facinating, I think I'm glad it doesn't
> exist. I fear it would inspire additional outlets for my collecting gene,
> which has already caused enough trouble. 8-)

Very good point. No good could come from it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/18/2012 6:01 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 16:24:56 -0800, > wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 17:45:41 -0600, > wrote:
>>

>>> Cuisinart makes a fairly decent electric cookie press that runs about
>>> $29.99 at BB&B. If you use a 20%-off coupon, it's even less than the
>>> $30. OH! Seems the price is now $19.99 - I'm going to have to buy two
>>> or three just to hoard them when the current one dies. Here's the link
>>> -- http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...p?SKU=16783722 -- HTH.

>> And WITH that,
>> you can have cookies that look JUST LIKE they came from the grocery store!
>>

>> If that IS what you really want.

It isn't that they look like they come from the grocery store. They look
like they come from a bakery.

> You have never had home made spritz cookies?
>
> Gosh, I got my first cookie press well over 50 years ago.

I love making spritz cookies and have several presses. One of them is
battery operated, the rest are hand-pumped (this is starting to sound
indecent!). My sister-in-law has my mother's very old Mirro cookie press.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> There are a few kitchen tools which have such
> a loyal following that demand for them on eBay
> is consistently high. They seldom go cheaply
> because there are many people watching to snap
> up a bargain. Champion juicers are one example,
> as are Excalibur dehydrators.
>
> I recently discovered the Wear-Ever Super Shooter
> is another. These are electric cookies presses
> that ceased to be manufactured sometime around
> 1980. Many are available, but a clean one,
> complete and with box, will usually cost about
> $20 to $30 before shipping, but sometimes they
> go for much more.
>
> Note that there are also Super Shooter cookie
> presses that were made by Hamilton Beach and
> Proctor Silex. These are completely different.
> I guess there was no trademark on the name.
>
> I wanted one to do some experiments in depositing
> ganache. Some of my ganache formulations are
> very sticky and difficult to handle. I've been
> using small ice cream scoops to make truffles,
> but I got the idea of extruding them. I first
> thought about a sauce dispensing gun, which is
> like a caulk gun. But they have a ratchet action
> which would put a ripple in the extrusion.
> A pastry bag would require me to control the
> dispensing rate and the tip motion simultaneously.
> I think the electric cookie press might be the
> perfect solution, freeing up all my dexterity for
> concentrating on making the deposit.
>
> I guess I'm not the only one to notice the Super
> Shooter. I managed to nab one cheaply in the
> middle of the day in the middle of the week, but
> it hasn't arrived yet. This will be an interesting
> toy. If it works well, I may end up buying more.
> I may end up hoarding. Someday, people will
> realize what a great machine this is and regret
> not having bought them when they were cheap.
> But I'll have an enormous stockpile of them!
> Better than investing in gold, I tell ya!

I had one. Went straight into the trash. Damned thing shot cookies
everywhere but on the cookie sheet. A manual press works much better! Just
not a cheap one. They make some for around $3 and they are useless.