Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Farm Raised Trout?

On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 18:56:51 -0800 (PST), merryb >
wrote:

>On Feb 19, 5:51*pm, Jeßus > wrote:
>> On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 16:41:33 -0800 (PST), merryb >
>> wrote:

>> >No kidding! They almost looked like some Koi I have seen.

>> Koi? I'll have one of them on my arm in a few weeks time... well, a
>> drawing of one, at least.

>Nice- I have a friend that has the same; kinda a yin/yan thing...

Thanks. Yeah, I like that sort of design (koi ying/yang. I'm waiting
for the tattooist to finish designing mine, I hope to hear back from
him this week.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 10:17:28 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 19/02/2012 8:51 PM, Jeßus wrote:
>

>>> No kidding! They almost looked like some Koi I have seen.

>> Koi? I'll have one of them on my arm in a few weeks time... well, a
>> drawing of one, at least.

> I had some Koi in my back yard "water feature". I had a goldfish pond
>that I used to put goldfish in. One year I splurged and put in some Koi.
> At the time, those guys sold for $6-15 apiece. They started
>disappearing. My wife saw the last one go..... a Blue Heron. Those
>*******s never bothered with the gold fish that used to cots $1 per dozen.

That figures! I'm having trouble at the moment with possums destroying
my silver birch trees, theyre only about 3 y/o so the branches can't
support their weight, meaning they all get snapped.

I have the dog guarding the fruit trees, so she can't be in two places
at once. It's only the trees next to the wooden fence that are getting
trashed, so I might be able to come up with a way to use the electric
fence gear to thwart them.

It's late summer here (Tasmania), so the possums are moving in on my
trees because there's less food for them out in the bush this time of
year. A few more weeks and the problem will go away for another 12
months...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 20, 10:00*am, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 08:59:49 -0800 (PST), merryb >
> wrote:

> >> * I had some Koi in my *back yard "water feature". I had a goldfish pond
> >> that I used to put goldfish in. One year I splurged and put in some Koi.
> >> * *At the time, those guys sold for $6-15 apiece. *They started
> >> disappearing. My wife saw the last one go..... a Blue Heron. *Those
> >> *******s never bothered with the gold fish that used to cots $1 per dozen.

> >LOL- I know someone that had the EXACT experience! Too funny...

> watch the roof tops in the neighborhood. *Those cranes aren't sitting
> up there to be charming. *They are hunting. *Personally, I am willing
> to live with this kind of interaction of nature. *Changing to gold
> fish seemed to have solved the problem -- maybe. *But millions of
> people don't get the chance to see what goes on in wildlife. *Enjoy
> Janet US

Oh, I do! One day I was standing on my back deck, and heard a
whooshing sound. Turned my head in time to see a bald eagle flying by,
following the road. It was big! There are quite a few eagles around
here near the water. One of the coolest birds I saw here was a
pileated (sp??) woodpecker, hammering on a tree across the street.
That was also a pretty good sized bird, but I only saw it once.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 20, 10:15*am, Lou Decruss > wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 11:47:41 -0800 (PST), merryb >
> wrote:
>

> >On Feb 19, 9:19*am, Lou Decruss > wrote:
> >> On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 18:13:39 -0500, Dave Smith

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 20, 3:50*pm, Jeßus > wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 18:56:51 -0800 (PST), merryb >
> wrote:
>

> >On Feb 19, 5:51*pm, Jeßus > wrote:

> >> Koi? I'll have one of them on my arm in a few weeks time... well, a
> >> drawing of one, at least.

> >Nice- I have a friend that has the same; kinda a yin/yan thing...

> Thanks. Yeah, I like that sort of design (koi ying/yang. I'm waiting
> for the tattooist to finish designing mine, I hope to hear back from
> him this week.

Upper arm or lower? Is this your first? I recently had a charm
bracelet done...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 16:41:59 -0800 (PST), merryb >
wrote:

< el snippo>

>> >Nice- I have a friend that has the same; kinda a yin/yan thing...

>> Thanks. Yeah, I like that sort of design (koi ying/yang. I'm waiting
>> for the tattooist to finish designing mine, I hope to hear back from
>> him this week.

>Upper arm or lower? Is this your first? I recently had a charm
>bracelet done...

Just the upper arm plus front and rear of the shoulder, if you know
what I mean. I'll see how I feel later about doing the rest of the arm
- unlikely I'll want to do that though.

Ditto with the other arm and/or getting the whole back done at some
point. I'll see how I feel about it... not going to rush into that!

This will be my second tattoo, I have a bulldog on my shoulder blade
and because it'll clash with the traditional Japanese style I'll get
it covered up if I do get the other arm and back done.

Charm bracelets can look really good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 20, 7:17*am, Dave Smith > wrote:
> On 19/02/2012 8:51 PM, Jeßus wrote:
>

> >> No kidding! They almost looked like some Koi I have seen.

> > Koi? I'll have one of them on my arm in a few weeks time... well, a
> > drawing of one, at least.

> * I had some Koi in my *back yard "water feature". I had a goldfish pond
> that I used to put goldfish in. One year I splurged and put in some Koi.
> * *At the time, those guys sold for $6-15 apiece. *They started
> disappearing. My wife saw the last one go..... a Blue Heron. *Those
> *******s never bothered with the gold fish that used to cots $1 per dozen..

A long time ago, I photographed a blue heron at a pond nearby. A
coworker saw the photo and asked if I could make a big one for a
wanted poster as all his fish were gone.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:

>> If you ever get a steelhead on you fishing line, it's one of the most
>> thrilling things you will ever do.

> My sister's ex loved to fish for them- he'd rather fish than work.
> That's why he's her ex!

At least he won't go hungry!

Some people actually make a living by catching fish. The common name for
that job is "fisherman."

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> I had some Koi in my back yard "water feature". I had a goldfish pond
> that I used to put goldfish in. One year I splurged and put in some Koi.
> At the time, those guys sold for $6-15 apiece. They started
> disappearing. My wife saw the last one go..... a Blue Heron. Those
> *******s never bothered with the gold fish that used to cots $1 per dozen.

A friend of mine had a koi pond, but raccoons got every single one of
the fish.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger > wrote:

>Some people actually make a living by catching fish. The common name for
>that job is "fisherman."

Uh-uh. Too gender-specific. The common name is now "fisher".

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Dave Smith wrote:
>
> > I had some Koi in my back yard "water feature". I had a goldfish pond
> > that I used to put goldfish in. One year I splurged and put in some Koi.
> > At the time, those guys sold for $6-15 apiece. They started
> > disappearing. My wife saw the last one go..... a Blue Heron. Those
> > *******s never bothered with the gold fish that used to cots $1 per dozen.

> A friend of mine had a koi pond, but raccoons got every single one of
> the fish.
>
> Bob

Sounds like he should have morphed into the koi-fed raccoon meat business.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 13:40:21 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 20/02/2012 1:21 PM, Lou Decruss wrote:

>> Aren't you in Canada? How do you over winter them?

>I put on a sweater and find a good book.
>
>Oh... the fish.
>The pond was an old well casing buried upright in the ground. It only
>froze down about 6-8. I am in the Niagara peninsula and winters are
>relatively mild here. The cold wouldn't kill them but the methane from
>rotting vegetation would, so I got a cheap air pump and rain a line with
>an air stone to aerate the water, which also helps to prevent it from
>freezing completely. As long as the air pump survived the fish made it
>through the winter.
>
>This year as been exceptionally mild, and last summer I replaced that
>old well casing pond with a plastic preformed pond. It is not as deep.
>I raked out as many leaves as I could and hooked up the pond. It has not
>frozen over completely yet this winter. There has always been at least
>6" of open water so I can toss in some food. They seem fine this winter.

Last winter I was doing house inspections. One was in foreclosure
which we didn't contact but he had a damage claim so I had to go take
pictures of the house. He had a big multi level pond with waterfalls
and many fish. I assumed the running water kept it from freezing but
I asked why he had so many extension cords running to the setup. He
had to heal the ponds. He was in the middle of loosing his house but
he was heating friggin goldfish in one of the worst winters we've ever
had here.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21/02/2012 3:23 PM, Lou Decruss wrote:
ter.

>> This year as been exceptionally mild, and last summer I replaced that
>> old well casing pond with a plastic preformed pond. It is not as deep.
>> I raked out as many leaves as I could and hooked up the pond. It has not
>> frozen over completely yet this winter. There has always been at least
>> 6" of open water so I can toss in some food. They seem fine this winter.

> Last winter I was doing house inspections. One was in foreclosure
> which we didn't contact but he had a damage claim so I had to go take
> pictures of the house. He had a big multi level pond with waterfalls
> and many fish. I assumed the running water kept it from freezing but
> I asked why he had so many extension cords running to the setup. He
> had to heal the ponds. He was in the middle of loosing his house but
> he was heating friggin goldfish in one of the worst winters we've ever
> had here.

Goldfish? I might understand that for big Koi. The years I lost my
fish I replaced them with a new batch of feeder fish, usually less than
3 bucks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 15:30:40 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 21/02/2012 3:23 PM, Lou Decruss wrote:
>ter.
>>>
>>> This year as been exceptionally mild, and last summer I replaced that
>>> old well casing pond with a plastic preformed pond. It is not as deep.
>>> I raked out as many leaves as I could and hooked up the pond. It has not
>>> frozen over completely yet this winter. There has always been at least
>>> 6" of open water so I can toss in some food. They seem fine this winter.

>> Last winter I was doing house inspections. One was in foreclosure
>> which we didn't contact but he had a damage claim so I had to go take
>> pictures of the house. He had a big multi level pond with waterfalls
>> and many fish. I assumed the running water kept it from freezing but
>> I asked why he had so many extension cords running to the setup. He
>> had to heal the ponds. He was in the middle of loosing his house but
>> he was heating friggin goldfish in one of the worst winters we've ever
>> had here.
>>

>Goldfish? I might understand that for big Koi. The years I lost my
>fish I replaced them with a new batch of feeder fish, usually less than
>3 bucks.

I was being sarcastic. They were Koi. They guy had a loose screw in
his brain. He had worked for a lumber yard and all he knew how to do
was deliver drywall. He was laid off but was living as he used to
because he said now that we has a new POTUS he would get his job back.
I haven't seen a drywall delivery truck in years. He was working the
night shift driving a fork-lift at some warehouse for 10 bucks an
hour. You can't even live in an apartment at that wage much less a
nice house with a heated pond. I quit that job but I'm sure by now
he's lost his house and fish.

Lou