Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Holy freaking crap! ....simple mac/cheese

I've made good mac/cheese. No eggs, ham, onions, cream, half/half,
dessicated dog dicks, or other silly horsecrap! Jes bechemel sauce +
really good cheese (+ mustard pwdr) over mac and bake, ferchrysakes.
Unfortunately, I was too stupid to save that basic recipe and am now
faced with cooking cretinism and a thousand nutmeg/truffles/saffron
variations that only a pough would like.

All I want to know is measurements, how much bechemel and cooked mac
pasta to make fer a bake of 8oz cheese in a 2-1/2 qt rnd casserole.

nb

--
Fight internet CENSORSHIP - Fight SOPA-PIPA
Contact your congressman and/or representative, now!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 16 Feb 2012 19:02:45 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> I've made good mac/cheese. No eggs, ham, onions, cream, half/half,
> dessicated dog dicks, or other silly horsecrap! Jes bechemel sauce +
> really good cheese (+ mustard pwdr) over mac and bake, ferchrysakes.
> Unfortunately, I was too stupid to save that basic recipe and am now
> faced with cooking cretinism and a thousand nutmeg/truffles/saffron
> variations that only a pough would like.
>
> All I want to know is measurements, how much bechemel and cooked mac
> pasta to make fer a bake of 8oz cheese in a 2-1/2 qt rnd casserole.
>
> nb

This is a recipe like what you were looking for
http://www.food.com/recipe/bevs-maca...d-cheese-30366

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/16/2012 2:02 PM, notbob wrote:
> I've made good mac/cheese. No eggs, ham, onions, cream, half/half,
> dessicated dog dicks, or other silly horsecrap! Jes bechemel sauce +
> really good cheese (+ mustard pwdr) over mac and bake, ferchrysakes.
> Unfortunately, I was too stupid to save that basic recipe and am now
> faced with cooking cretinism and a thousand nutmeg/truffles/saffron
> variations that only a pough would like.
>
> All I want to know is measurements, how much bechemel and cooked mac
> pasta to make fer a bake of 8oz cheese in a 2-1/2 qt rnd casserole.

I made a bechemel once that would have been good for mac and cheese but
also didn't save the recipe. I think I made it for scalloped potatoes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-02-18, Cheryl > wrote:

> I made a bechemel once that would have been good for mac and cheese but
> also didn't save the recipe. I think I made it for scalloped potatoes.

I found it. 2 T flour, 2 T butter, 2 C milk, 8 oz cheese, 8 oz
dry elbo mac.

--
Fight internet CENSORSHIP - Fight SOPA-PIPA
Contact your congressman and/or representative, now!
http://projects.propublica.org/sopa/
vi --the heart of evil!
Member

You tried a good cheese recipe. Even I tried it and it was amazing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 2012-02-18, Cheryl > wrote:
>
> > I made a bechemel once that would have been good for mac and cheese but
> > also didn't save the recipe. I think I made it for scalloped potatoes.

> I found it. 2 T flour, 2 T butter, 2 C milk, 8 oz cheese, 8 oz
> dry elbo mac.

What kind of cheese do you use in that? My mom always used Velvetta. Would
cheddar be better?

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-02-18, Gary > wrote:

> What kind of cheese do you use in that? My mom always used Velvetta. Would
> cheddar be better?

I've found Tillamook's aged 2 yrs white cheddar to be a good balance
between flavor and price. It's about $6 for an 8oz pkg, when not
sold out. I add a T of mustard pwdr and t of fresh ground nutmeg. It
fits nicely in a 1-1/2 qt casserole bowl.

nb

--
Fight internet CENSORSHIP - Fight SOPA-PIPA
Contact your congressman and/or representative, now!
http://projects.propublica.org/sopa/
vi --the heart of evil!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 2012-02-18, Gary > wrote:
>
> > What kind of cheese do you use in that? My mom always used Velvetta. Would
> > cheddar be better?

> I've found Tillamook's aged 2 yrs white cheddar to be a good balance
> between flavor and price. It's about $6 for an 8oz pkg, when not
> sold out. I add a T of mustard pwdr and t of fresh ground nutmeg. It
> fits nicely in a 1-1/2 qt casserole bowl.

Dammit notbob, now you're confusing me. You've added more ingredients. I
rarely eat mac and cheese but I'm looking for a great recipe that's baked
and a nice browned cheesy crust on top.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-02-18, Gary > wrote:

> rarely eat mac and cheese but I'm looking for a great recipe that's baked
> and a nice browned cheesy crust on top.

Reserve some cheese to sprinkle on top or grate some parmesan cheese
on top or add bread crumbs. Not exactly an etched in stone dish.

nb

--
Fight internet CENSORSHIP - Fight SOPA-PIPA
Contact your congressman and/or representative, now!
http://projects.propublica.org/sopa/
vi --the heart of evil!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

>Dammit notbob, now you're confusing me. You've added more ingredients. I
>rarely eat mac and cheese but I'm looking for a great recipe that's baked
>and a nice browned cheesy crust on top.

Here's mine:

Macaroni and Cheese

Sauce

1 oz butter
½ medium onion
¼ tsp salt
1 shallot, chopped
3 Tb flour
2 cups hot milk
1 Tb white wine vinegar
½ Tb Worcestershire
½ Tb mustard
¼ tsp pepper
¼ tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp cayenne or smoked paprika

Assembly

1 lb pasta
(1 Tb butter)
½ lb each grated Gruyère and cheddar
¼ cup grated parmesan
2 oz butter, melted
1 cup fresh bread crumbs

1. Melt 1 oz butter over medium heat. Chop onion fine onion and toss
with salt. Cook, stirring, until the onion is caramelized. Add shallot
and a pinch of salt and cook until translucent.

2. Oven 425º. Prepare 9x13 pan.

3. Stir in flour, then whisk in the milk gradually. When the roux has
thickened, stir in the rest.

4. Cook the pasta until not quite al dente. Drain pasta and stir in
butter if desired.

5. Stir most of the cheese into the sauce. Stir in pasta, then pour
into baking pan. Top with the rest of the cheese.

6. Sprinkle parmesan over the pasta. Stir bread crumbs with 2 oz
butter and spread on top.

7. Cover with foil and bake until heated through (30 minutes).
Remove foil and bake until top is browned (15 minutes).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 17, 9:50*pm, notbob > wrote:
> On 2012-02-18, Cheryl > wrote:
>
> > I made a bechemel once that would have been good for mac and cheese but
> > also didn't save the recipe. *I think I made it for scalloped potatoes.

> I found it. *2 T flour, 2 T butter, 2 C milk, 8 oz cheese, 8 oz
> dry elbo mac.
>
> --
> Fight internet CENSORSHIP - Fight SOPA-PIPA
> Contact your congressman and/or representative, now!http://projects.propublica.org/sopa/
> vi --the heart of evil!

Even with cheese added, I think the proportions would be too thin for
my taste. 2/2/2 C. milk? I'd be more like 4/4/2 C. milk.

N.