Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default PASSING

Whitney Houston
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 11, 7:50*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> Whitney Houston

Well, look who just caught up? ;-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/02/2012 8:50 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Whitney Houston

Bummer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 11, 8:02*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:

> On 11/02/2012 8:50 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
> > Whitney Houston

> Bummer.

I'm going to guess her death was drug related. Not saying she
overdosed but the effects could have taken a toll on her body.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 11, 6:02*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> On 11/02/2012 8:50 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
> > Whitney Houston

> Bummer.

worn out by the drugs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/11/2012 7:05 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
> On Feb 11, 8:02 pm, Dave > wrote:
>>
>> On 11/02/2012 8:50 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>>> Whitney Houston

>> Bummer.

> I'm going to guess her death was drug related. Not saying she
> overdosed but the effects could have taken a toll on her body.

No doubt they did, since she looked like ten miles of bad road and had
no kind of voice left at all. Squandered talent, squandered life.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Harriet Neal wrote:

> On Feb 11, 6:02 pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> > On 11/02/2012 8:50 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> >
> > > Whitney Houston

> > Bummer.

> worn out by the drugs.

No, it was the coconut oil.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ItsJoanNotJoann > wrote:

>I'm going to guess her death was drug related. Not saying she
>overdosed but the effects could have taken a toll on her body.

She had previously let it be known that her drug of choice
was "smokaine".

Whatever the cause, it's quite sad.

S.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 11, 8:13*pm, Pennyaline >
wrote:
> On 2/11/2012 7:05 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

> >> Bummer.

> > I'm going to guess her death was drug related. *Not saying she
> > overdosed but the effects could have taken a toll on her body.

> No doubt they did, since she looked like ten miles of bad road and had
> no kind of voice left at all. Squandered talent, squandered life.

She squandered her vocal abilities long ago by thinking that she was
creative enough to alter perfectly lovely melody lines. Her rendition
of the Star Spangled Banner during a Super Bowl halftime was
atrocious.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 11, 10:15*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 03:25:36 +0000 (UTC), Steve Pope wrote:
> > ItsJoanNotJoann > wrote:

> >>I'm going to guess her death was drug related. *Not saying she
> >>overdosed but the effects could have taken a toll on her body.

> > She had previously let it be known that her drug of choice
> > was "smokaine".

> Which is pretty much the most ****ed up drug out there. *Nothing makes
> people crazier, skittish, and more unpredictable than crack. *Speed
> comes in second for those who stay up for days on end. *Heroin is
> actually rather safe, socially speaking, it's the withdrawals that
> make you crazy there...

Hard to say which is worse, crack or meth, but you're correct about
heroin.

> -sw

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/11/2012 8:50 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> Whitney Houston

I hadn't heard that yet. Wow. Too young.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 11, 10:22*pm, Bryan > wrote:
> On Feb 11, 10:15*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:

> > > She had previously let it be known that her drug of choice
> > > was "smokaine".

> > Which is pretty much the most ****ed up drug out there. *Nothing makes
> > people crazier, skittish, and more unpredictable than crack. *Speed
> > comes in second for those who stay up for days on end. *Heroin is
> > actually rather safe, socially speaking, it's the withdrawals that
> > make you crazy there...

> Hard to say which is worse, crack or meth, but you're correct about
> heroin.
>

> > -sw

> --Bryan

Heroin, it's my life and it's my wife!
Because a mainer to my vein
Leads to a center in my head
And then I'm better off than dead

;-)

Remember when I wrote the entire lyrics to Lou Reed's "Heroin" on the
underside of the stock shelves at Venture's bakery? ;-) Probably not.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Harriet Neal" > wrote in message
On Feb 11, 6:02 pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> On 11/02/2012 8:50 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
> > Whitney Houston

> Bummer.

> worn out by the drugs.

And her addiction to that abusive a-hole Bobby Brown. She was clearly an
addictive personality and deeply troubled inside.

I hope she finds the peace in death that eluded her in life.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 11, 11:30*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 20:22:31 -0800 (PST), Bryan wrote:

> >> Which is pretty much the most ****ed up drug out there. *Nothing makes
> >> people crazier, skittish, and more unpredictable than crack. *Speed
> >> comes in second for those who stay up for days on end. *Heroin is
> >> actually rather safe, socially speaking, it's the withdrawals that
> >> make you crazy there...

> > Hard to say which is worse, crack or meth, but you're correct about
> > heroin.

> Crack makes people instantly crazy and desperate, whereas you need to
> abuse meth for a few days at a time or consistently and/or habitually
> over weeks/months for it to become a "social" problem (that affects
> others). *People habitually and consistently abuse crack, of course,
> but they are usually not exceptionally more psychotic than they are
> when they first smoke it. * That's why I consider speed in second
> place. *I don't think speed is considered physically addicting, but I
> know there's a fine line there depending on who's opinion you're
> listening to.

Coke--both powder and crack--is personally devastating to users. It
burns out the pleasure center of the brain.
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-chb121302.php

> -sw

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, February 11, 2012 10:50:16 PM UTC-7, Bryan wrote:
> On Feb 11, 11:30*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:

> > > Hard to say which is worse, crack or meth, but you're correct about
> > > heroin.

> > Crack makes people instantly crazy and desperate, whereas you need to
> > abuse meth for a few days at a time or consistently and/or habitually
> > over weeks/months for it to become a "social" problem (that affects
> > others). *People habitually and consistently abuse crack, of course,
> > but they are usually not exceptionally more psychotic than they are
> > when they first smoke it. * That's why I consider speed in second
> > place. *I don't think speed is considered physically addicting, but I
> > know there's a fine line there depending on who's opinion you're
> > listening to.

> Coke--both powder and crack--is personally devastating to users. It
> burns out the pleasure center of the brain.
> http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-chb121302.php
> >
> > -sw

> --Bryan

So is that what happened to Squertz...he's "burnt out"?...figures.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I'm going to guess her death was drug related. *Not saying she
> overdosed but the effects could have taken a toll on her body.

I saw some photos of her that were allegedly the last photos taken of
her, and they were taken at a party or event Friday night, and she
looked like she was strung out. I am guessing an OD, but you know
they will do the toxicology on her and whomever sold her the drugs
will be in the National Enquirer next week selling their stories.

It's sad, because she had it all, and it seemed like she would be the
biggest female pop star ever, but she was never the same after she
hooked up with Bobby Brown. It was a slow downhill slide over 20
years. She had everything but happiness. From one report I heard
this evening, like fellow singers who were felled by drug use Elvis
and Michael Jackson, she made hundreds of millions of dollars but died
broke.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 22:15:33 -0800 (PST), Michael OConnor
> wrote:

>> I'm going to guess her death was drug related. *Not saying she
>> overdosed but the effects could have taken a toll on her body.

>I saw some photos of her that were allegedly the last photos taken of
>her, and they were taken at a party or event Friday night, and she
>looked like she was strung out. I am guessing an OD, but you know
>they will do the toxicology on her and whomever sold her the drugs
>will be in the National Enquirer next week selling their stories.
>
>It's sad, because she had it all, and it seemed like she would be the
>biggest female pop star ever, but she was never the same after she
>hooked up with Bobby Brown. It was a slow downhill slide over 20
>years. She had everything but happiness. From one report I heard
>this evening, like fellow singers who were felled by drug use Elvis
>and Michael Jackson, she made hundreds of millions of dollars but died
>broke.

I never understood what everybody saw in her but I'm not big on
celebrities other than for humor.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 11, 10:15*pm, Michael OConnor > wrote:
> > I'm going to guess her death was drug related. *Not saying she
> > overdosed but the effects could have taken a toll on her body.

> I saw some photos of her that were allegedly the last photos taken of
> her, and they were taken at a party or event Friday night, and she
> looked like she was strung out. *I am guessing an OD, but you know
> they will do the toxicology on her and whomever sold her the drugs
> will be in the National Enquirer next week selling their stories.
>
> It's sad, because she had it all, and it seemed like she would be the
> biggest female pop star ever, but she was never the same after she
> hooked up with Bobby Brown. *It was a slow downhill slide over 20
> years. *She had everything but happiness. *From one report I heard
> this evening, like fellow singers who were felled by drug use Elvis
> and Michael Jackson, she made hundreds of millions of dollars but died
> broke.

She lived one year longer than Judy Garland did.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/12/2012 1:15 AM, Michael OConnor wrote:

> It's sad, because she had it all, and it seemed like she would be the
> biggest female pop star ever, but she was never the same after she
> hooked up with Bobby Brown. It was a slow downhill slide over 20
> years. She had everything but happiness. From one report I heard
> this evening, like fellow singers who were felled by drug use Elvis
> and Michael Jackson, she made hundreds of millions of dollars but died
> broke.

I don't feel like it was a slow downhill slide, I feel like one day
she was belting out songs, then she met Bobby Brown and drove off a
freakin' cliff.

At the same time, people who make staggering sums of money in a short
time must think there's no end in sight and don't plan for the future.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 06:22:06 -0500, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>At the same time, people who make staggering sums of money in a short
>time must think there's no end in sight and don't plan for the future.
>
>nancy

Many have no idea how to handle the money and rely on others. The
others, both managers and family, often either do dumb things with it
or just steal it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> >At the same time, people who make staggering sums of money in a short
> >time must think there's no end in sight and don't plan for the future.

> >nancy

> Many have no idea how to handle the money and rely on others. The
> others, both managers and family, often either do dumb things with it
> or just steal it.

In her younger days, mid late 80's, when she first hit the scene, she
seems poised and confident in interviews, she seemed like she had a
good head on her shoulders. Also, she grew up on the periphery of
show business (godmother was Dionne Warwicke, she came from a singing
family), so one would have thought she would have been prepared to
deal with fame and everything that goes with it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I never understood what everybody saw in her but I'm not big on
> celebrities other than for humor.

She had supermodel looks (before the drugs did her in, that is. Before
she became a hit singer she appeared on Seventeen and other fashion
magazines and could have had a great career in modeling) and had one
of the best singing voices I have ever heard on a female. While she
couldn't hit all the octaves that a Mariah Carey could, Whitney was a
better pop singer than Mariah IMO. She did the finest rendition of
the National Anthem I have ever heard which she did before Super Bowl
XXV (Giants vs. Bills) in 1991. She tried acting, acting was the one
thing it seemed she could not do, but I think with time and training,
she would have become a decent actress. It seemed her future was
unlimited, that she would be the biggest selling pop vocalist since
Elvis Presley. Then it all fell apart...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/12/2012 8:24 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 06:22:06 -0500, Nancy Young
> > wrote:
>

>> At the same time, people who make staggering sums of money in a short
>> time must think there's no end in sight and don't plan for the future.

> Many have no idea how to handle the money and rely on others. The
> others, both managers and family, often either do dumb things with it
> or just steal it.

You are absolutely right. My somewhat (?) mistrustful nature would
not let me relegate all my money affairs to some manager/whatever,
but then I don't have complicated finances the way performers often
do.

Money is a powerful corrupter. Sometimes it's even the parents who
abuse the money, though sometimes they just make loser investments.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/02/2012 11:21 PM, Bryan wrote:

>> No doubt they did, since she looked like ten miles of bad road and had
>> no kind of voice left at all. Squandered talent, squandered life.

> She squandered her vocal abilities long ago by thinking that she was
> creative enough to alter perfectly lovely melody lines. Her rendition
> of the Star Spangled Banner during a Super Bowl halftime was
> atrocious.

Don't most of them murder the national anthem? It is a shame that they
see a need to warble their way through the scales looking for the right
notes. I miss the days when a good singer could hit and hold a note in
one shot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> On 11/02/2012 11:21 PM, Bryan wrote:
>
> >> No doubt they did, since she looked like ten miles of bad road and had
> >> no kind of voice left at all. Squandered talent, squandered life.

> > She squandered her vocal abilities long ago by thinking that she was
> > creative enough to alter perfectly lovely melody lines. Her rendition
> > of the Star Spangled Banner during a Super Bowl halftime was
> > atrocious.
> >

> Don't most of them murder the national anthem? It is a shame that they
> see a need to warble their way through the scales looking for the right
> notes. I miss the days when a good singer could hit and hold a note in
> one shot.

The military guy that sang it at the beginning of this years superbowl did
the best version I've heard in years. He sang it plain, like it should be.

Gary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 12, 8:47*am, Dave Smith > wrote:
> On 11/02/2012 11:21 PM, Bryan wrote:
>
> >> No doubt they did, since she looked like ten miles of bad road and had
> >> no kind of voice left at all. Squandered talent, squandered life.

> > She squandered her vocal abilities long ago by thinking that she was
> > creative enough to alter perfectly lovely melody lines. *Her rendition
> > of the Star Spangled Banner during a Super Bowl halftime was
> > atrocious.

> Don't most of them murder the national anthem? It is a shame that they
> see a need to warble their way through the scales looking for the right
> notes. I miss the days when a good singer could hit and hold a note in
> one shot.

In Houston's case it wasn't that she couldn't. She *chose* to alter
the melody line because she thought she could improve it. She had a
beautiful voice, but a crappy mind.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 12, 8:03*am, Michael OConnor > wrote:

> *She did the finest rendition of the National Anthem I have ever heard which she
> did before Super Bowl XXV (Giants vs. Bills) in 1991.

I thought that was one of the most awful things I'd ever heard, and
wished death on her then and there. She butchered that beautiful
melody. Good riddance.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith > wrote in news:95FZq.42048$NP4.19571
@unlimited.newshosting.com:

> On 11/02/2012 8:50 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> Whitney Houston

> Bummer.

Who really cares???

Yeah, in her 'heyday' she had a fantastic voice, looked good etc.

Then she turned into a drug addicted loser.

COD...... drug overdose.

Just another druggie who screwed up her 'shot'.

--
Peter
Tasmania
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/12/2012 7:47 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 11/02/2012 11:21 PM, Bryan wrote:
>
>>> No doubt they did, since she looked like ten miles of bad road and had
>>> no kind of voice left at all. Squandered talent, squandered life.

>> She squandered her vocal abilities long ago by thinking that she was
>> creative enough to alter perfectly lovely melody lines. Her rendition
>> of the Star Spangled Banner during a Super Bowl halftime was
>> atrocious.
>>

> Don't most of them murder the national anthem? It is a shame that they
> see a need to warble their way through the scales looking for the right
> notes. I miss the days when a good singer could hit and hold a note in
> one shot.

Houston did the National Anthem splendidly. She was able to hit the high
notes, didn't forget the words, and only did a little bit of slide--she
was perfectly able to hit and hold a note on the first shot, but that
slide is a stylization thing that is overused or applied in the wrong
places. She didn't alter the melody at all. She beat all to hell most of
the performers who take it on, who, like Steven Tyler, should have known
from the beginning to just stay right away from it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan > wrote:

> She butchered that beautiful melody.

More so than Aaron Neville?

S.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I'm back on the laptop > wrote:

>Who really cares???
>
>Yeah, in her 'heyday' she had a fantastic voice, looked good etc.
>
>Then she turned into a drug addicted loser.

I hope you get foreclosed upon

S.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/12/2012 9:37 AM, Andy wrote:
> Money is not the root of all evil.
>
> Lack of money is.
>
> Nancy Young doesn't have the faintest idea.
>
> Andy

That's not even the quote, dummy. The love of money
is the root of all evil.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 12, 10:25*am, (Steve Pope) wrote:
> Bryan > wrote:
> > She butchered that beautiful melody.

> More so than Aaron Neville?

I almost always avoid ever minute of those halftime shows.
Unfortunately, I made an exception for "The Who," and ended up seeing
Townsend and Daltrey make complete asses of themselves.

> S.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 12, 11:24*am, Nancy Young > wrote:
> On 2/12/2012 9:37 AM, Andy wrote:> Money is not the root of all evil.
>
> > Lack of money is.

> > Nancy Young doesn't have the faintest idea.

> > Andy

> That's not even the quote, dummy. *The love of money
> is the root of all evil.

You should expect stupidity from Andy.

> nancy

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/12/2012 12:43 PM, Bryan wrote:
> On Feb 12, 11:24 am, Nancy > wrote:
>> On 2/12/2012 9:37 AM, Andy wrote:> Money is not the root of all evil.
>>
>>> Lack of money is.

>>> Nancy Young doesn't have the faintest idea.

>> That's not even the quote, dummy. The love of money
>> is the root of all evil.

> You should expect stupidity from Andy.

Even funnier if he's implying I don't know what it's like not
to have money.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/12/2012 3:23 PM, Andy wrote:
> Nancy > wrote:
>
>> On 2/12/2012 9:37 AM, Andy wrote:
>>> Money is not the root of all evil.
>>>
>>> Lack of money is.
>>>
>>> Nancy Young doesn't have the faintest idea.
>>>
>>> Andy
>>>

>> That's not even the quote, dummy. The love of money
>> is the root of all evil.

> Exactly WRONG.
>
> The quote is "Money is the root of all evil."

The quote is actually The love of money is a root of all
kinds of evil.

Get out your bible and look it up.

> I interjected that lack of money is the root of all evil.
>
> Bitch!

Oh, I'm wounded.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/12/2012 4:44 PM, Andy wrote:
> Nancy > wrote:

>>> Bitch!

>> Oh, I'm wounded.

> We used to be favorite rfc friends.
>
> I forget what went wrong.
>
> My fault, no doubt.

Happier times, I guess. Thanks for turning me on to sudoku.
Doing the 16 square is a hobby of mine.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 17:13:49 -0500, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>>> Oh, I'm wounded.

>> We used to be favorite rfc friends.
>>
>> I forget what went wrong.
>>
>> My fault, no doubt.

>Happier times, I guess. Thanks for turning me on to sudoku.
>Doing the 16 square is a hobby of mine.

Andy doesn't grasp the concept of people remembering the crap he says.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/12/12 5:53 PM, Lou Decruss wrote:

> Andy doesn't grasp the concept of people remembering the crap he says.
>
> Lou

ah come'on... you have to admit he probably doesn't remember half the
crap he says either.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/02/2012 12:36 PM, Bryan wrote:
> On Feb 12, 10:25 am, (Steve Pope) wrote:
>> > wrote:
>>> She butchered that beautiful melody.

>> More so than Aaron Neville?

> I almost always avoid ever minute of those halftime shows.
> Unfortunately, I made an exception for "The Who," and ended up seeing
> Townsend and Daltrey make complete asses of themselves.

The only one that was worth watching was the one with Janet Jackson's
accidental "wardrobe failure", the one where the cameras suddenly zoomed
in on Jackson's thoraxic attributes just in time for her boob to be
accidentally exposed when an a piece covering one of them just happened
to be accidentally yanked off.

What are we passing out for Halloween? sf[_9_] General Cooking 0 18-11-2015 10:08 PM
Big JIm Passing Graeme...in London[_4_] Barbecue 1 29-01-2015 12:30 PM
Passing Brooklyn1 General Cooking 5 26-11-2011 03:38 PM
another sad passing... Ellen K. Diabetic 1 18-12-2010 08:31 PM