FoodBanter.com

-   -   Sacher torte (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/415493-sacher-torte.html)

Gloria P 11-02-2012 08:14 PM

Sacher torte

I just came across American's Test Kitchen and they are making an
extra-chocolate Sachertorte. I went to the website and it's a "premium"
recipe. I.E. even though I have subscribed to the magazine for years
and have a couple of copies of their "Best Recipes" cookbooks, they want
to charge me for the stupid recipe. (Yes, I know I can do a 14 day
"free trial" but I won't do those because I'm being more selective about
sharing my credit card, and I don't want the hassle of canceling within
14 days.)

Does anyone have it to share?

gloia p

A Moose In Love 11-02-2012 08:20 PM

Sacher torte

On Feb 11, 2:14*pm, gloria p > wrote:
> I just came across American's Test Kitchen and they are making an
> extra-chocolate Sachertorte. *I went to the website and it's a "premium"
> recipe. *I.E. even though I have subscribed to the magazine for years
> and have a couple of copies of their "Best Recipes" cookbooks, they want
> to charge me for the stupid recipe. *(Yes, I know I can do a 14 day
> "free trial" but I won't do those because I'm being more selective about
> sharing my credit card, and I don't want the hassle of canceling within
> 14 days.)
>
> Does anyone have it to share?
>
> gloia p

I get mine flown in weekly from the Hotel Sacher in Austria. But
that's because I have extra disposable income due to the fact that I
entered a same sex marriage with Squirts, and benefit from legislation
that favors the union of two fellahs.

Boron Elgar 11-02-2012 09:21 PM

Sacher torte

On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 12:14:29 -0700, gloria p >
wrote:

>I just came across American's Test Kitchen and they are making an
>extra-chocolate Sachertorte. I went to the website and it's a "premium"
>recipe. I.E. even though I have subscribed to the magazine for years
>and have a couple of copies of their "Best Recipes" cookbooks, they want
>to charge me for the stupid recipe. (Yes, I know I can do a 14 day
>"free trial" but I won't do those because I'm being more selective about
>sharing my credit card, and I don't want the hassle of canceling within
>14 days.)
>
>Does anyone have it to share?
>
>gloia p

This is the only one I see and it is marked "Premium," as it is also
on the CI subscriber pages. Hope this is it.

Frankly, these *******s have gotten a ton of money out of me over the
years and screwed me on various subscriptions by front-loading them
with 2-3 month old issues before sending the current one.

Enjoy!

Boron

Published January 10, 2007.

Serves 8 to 10

This cake stores very well in an airtight container or under a glass
cake dome in the refrigerator for up to 48 hours. The cake texture
becomes slightly more dense and the overall flavor more intense after
at least 6 hours in the refrigerator. Bring the cake to room
temperature before serving with whipped cream and, according to
tradition, a cup of strong coffee.
Ingredients

Filling
1jar apricot jam (18 ounces, about 1 1/3 cups)
Glaze
1/2cup heavy cream
2tablespoons light corn syrup
4ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate , chopped fine
1 1/2teaspoons vanilla extract
1recipe Chocolate Génoise , cooled and split in half according to
illustrations below (see related recipe)

Instructions

1. For the filling: Process apricot jam in food processor until
smooth, about 10 seconds. Transfer to small saucepan and bring to
simmer, stirring constantly, over medium heat. Remove from heat and
cool to room temperature.

2. For the glaze: Combine cream and corn syrup in medium saucepan
and bring to full simmer over medium heat. Off heat, add chocolate;
cover and let stand for 8 minutes. (If chocolate has not completely
melted, return saucepan to low heat and stir constantly until melted.)
Add vanilla; stir very gently until mixture is smooth. Cool until
tepid so that spoonful drizzled back into the pan mounds slightly.

3. To assemble the torte: Invert top layer of cake onto cardboard
round cut just larger than diameter of cake. Using offset spatula,
spread 1/2 cup of apricot jam evenly over cake. Invert second layer of
cake over first. Place cake and cardboard round on wire rack that has
been set on large rimmed baking sheet. Pour remaining apricot jam on
top of cake and, using offset spatula, spread jam over edges and along
sides of cake. Allow excess jam to fall off sides of cake onto baking
sheet. Refrigerate cake on wire rack set on baking sheet until apricot
jam is set, about 30 minutes.

4. Pour chocolate glaze on top of cake. Using offset spatula,
spread glaze evenly over top of cake and spread it along sides of
cake. Refrigerate cake, still on rack set over baking sheet, until
set, at least 1 hour and up to 48 hours. Transfer cake to a large
platter and serve.

Step-by-Step

Leveling and Splitting Cake Layers

If cake has mounded in the center, it should be leveled before being
split. If the cake has baked up flat, skip step 1.

1. Gently press one hand on cake. Holding long serrated knife
parallel to work surface, use steady sawing motion to slice off
mounded top.

2. Measure height of cake and cut small incision into side of cake
with paring knife to mark midpoint. Repeat around circumference of
cake.

3. Slowly spin cake away from you while pulling long serrated
knife toward you and connection incisions made in step 2. You want to
score, not slice, cake.

4. Following markings, cut deeper and deeper into cake in same
manner as step 3. Gradually move knife close to center with each
rotation until cake is split.

itsjoannotjoann 11-02-2012 11:21 PM

Sacher torte

On Feb 11, 1:14*pm, gloria p > wrote:
> I just came across American's Test Kitchen and they are making an
> extra-chocolate Sachertorte. *I went to the website and it's a "premium"
> recipe. *I.E. even though I have subscribed to the magazine for years
> and have a couple of copies of their "Best Recipes" cookbooks, they want
> to charge me for the stupid recipe. *(Yes, I know I can do a 14 day
> "free trial" but I won't do those because I'm being more selective about
> sharing my credit card, and I don't want the hassle of canceling within
> 14 days.)
>
> Does anyone have it to share?
>
> gloia p

I saw that show last week and the amount of chocolate was really
ramped up from what is served at that hotel. I liked the whole thing
until they slapped the jam on it.

Mike Muth 12-02-2012 03:11 AM

Sacher torte

gloria p > wrote:

> I just came across American's Test Kitchen and they are making an
> extra-chocolate Sachertorte. I went to the website and it's a "premium"
> recipe. I.E. even though I have subscribed to the magazine for years
> and have a couple of copies of their "Best Recipes" cookbooks, they want
> to charge me for the stupid recipe. (Yes, I know I can do a 14 day
> "free trial" but I won't do those because I'm being more selective about
> sharing my credit card, and I don't want the hassle of canceling within
> 14 days.)
>
> Does anyone have it to share?

My wife has a recipe for this. If you still need a recipe (although the
other one posted here looks good), I can try to talk her into sharing.
It'll take a bit for me to post since I'll have to translate for you.

Can I assume you have a kitchen scale?

--
Mike
http://www.facebook.com/groups/mikes.place.bar/

Bob Terwilliger[_1_] 12-02-2012 05:31 AM

Sacher torte

gloria wrote:

> I just came across American's Test Kitchen and they are making an
> extra-chocolate Sachertorte. I went to the website and it's a "premium"
> recipe. I.E. even though I have subscribed to the magazine for years and
> have a couple of copies of their "Best Recipes" cookbooks, they want to
> charge me for the stupid recipe. (Yes, I know I can do a 14 day "free
> trial" but I won't do those because I'm being more selective about
> sharing my credit card, and I don't want the hassle of canceling within
> 14 days.)
>
> Does anyone have it to share?

The Cook's Illustrated web site says the recipe for Sacher Torte was
published in January 2007. If that's the case it'll be in my hardbound
annual for that year. I'll see if I can find it and type it up in the
next couple days if you're sure that's the recipe you want. If you're
asking because you saw it on TV recently, then you saw this *different*
recipe which they call "Chocolate Raspberry Torte".

From http://www.americastestkitchen.com/r...hp?docid=26328

Chocolate-Raspberry Torte
From Season 12: Chocolate Torte

Why this recipe works:Sacher torte, the classic Viennese dessert with
layers of chocolate cake sandwiching apricot jam and enrobed in a
creamy-rich chocolate glaze, always sounds more promising than it
typically is in reality. We set out to create a rich, deeply chocolaty
dessert using Sacher torte as the inspiration, giving it our own spin by
pairing the chocolate with raspberries. For a rich, fudgy base, we
started by baking a flourless chocolate cake in two 9-inch pans, so we
could sandwich the two cakes together rather than deal with halving a
single delicate cake. But when we tried to pick up the second layer and,
later, eat it, the dense cake tore and fell apart. Adding ground nuts
gave it the structure it needed, plus a good boost of flavor. The
winning approach for our filling was to combine jam with lightly mashed
fresh berries for a tangy-sweet mixture that clung to the cake. For the
glaze, we kept things simple, melting bittersweet chocolate with heavy
cream to create a rich-tasting, glossy ganache that poured smoothly over
the cake. And to up the glamour quotient, we dotted fresh raspberries
around the top perimeter of the torte and pressed sliced toasted almonds
along its sides

Makes one 9-inch cake, serving 12 to 16

We recommend using either Callebaut Intense Dark L-60-40NV or
Ghirardelli Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Bar, but any high-quality
bittersweet or semisweet chocolate will work. If you’re refrigerating
the cake for more than 1 hour in step 6, let it stand at room
temperature for about 30 minutes before serving.

Cake and Filling
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate , chopped fine (see note)
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter , cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 teaspoons vanilla extract 1/4 teaspoon instant espresso powder 1 3/4
cups (about 7 ounces) sliced almonds , lightly toasted
1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour (1 1/4 ounces)
1/2 teaspoon table salt 5 large eggs 3/4 cup (5 1/4 ounces) sugar 1/2
cup fresh raspberries , plus 16 individual berries for garnishing cake
1/4 cup seedless raspberry jam

Chocolate Ganache Glaze
5 ounces bittersweet chocolate , chopped fine (see note)
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon heavy cream

1. FOR THE CAKE: Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to
325 degrees. Line bottom of two 9-inch-wide by 2-inch-high round cake
pans with parchment paper. Melt chocolate and butter in large heatproof
bowl set over saucepan filled with 1 inch simmering water, stirring
occasionally until smooth. Remove from heat and cool to room
temperature, about 30 minutes. Stir in vanilla and espresso powder.

2. Process 3/4 cup almonds in food processor until coarsely chopped, six
to eight 1-second pulses; set aside to garnish cake. Process remaining
cup almonds until very finely ground, about 45 seconds. Add flour and
salt and continue to process until combined, about 15 seconds. Transfer
almond-flour mixture to medium bowl. Process eggs in now-empty food
processor until lightened in color and almost doubled in volume, about 3
minutes. With processor running, slowly add sugar until thoroughly
combined, about 15 seconds. Using whisk, gently fold egg mixture into
chocolate mixture until some streaks of egg remain. Sprinkle half
almond-flour mixture over chocolate-egg mixture and gently whisk until
just combined. Sprinkle in remaining almond-flour mixture and gently
whisk until just combined.

3. Divide batter between cake pans and smooth with rubber spatula. Bake
until center is firm and toothpick inserted into center comes out with
few moist crumbs attached, 14 to 16 minutes. Transfer cakes to wire rack
and cool completely in pan, about 30 minutes. Run paring knife around
sides of cakes to loosen. Invert cakes onto cardboard rounds cut same
size as diameter of cake and remove parchment paper. Using wire rack,
reinvert 1 cake so top side faces up; slide back onto cardboard round.

4. TO ASSEMBLE TORTE: Place ½ cup raspberries in medium bowl and
coarsely mash with fork. Stir in raspberry jam until just combined.
Spread raspberry mixture onto cake layer that is top side up. Top with
second cake layer, leaving it bottom side up. Transfer assembled cake,
still on cardboard round, to wire rack set in rimmed baking sheet.

5. FOR THE GLAZE: Melt chocolate and cream in medium heatproof bowl set
over saucepan filled with 1 inch simmering water, stirring occasionally
until smooth. Remove from heat and gently whisk until very smooth. Pour
glaze onto center of assembled cake. Use offset spatula to spread glaze
evenly over top of cake, letting it flow down sides. Spread glaze along
sides of cake to coat evenly.

6. Using fine-mesh strainer, sift reserved almonds to remove any fine
bits. Holding bottom of cake on cardboard round with 1 hand, gently
press sifted almonds onto cake sides with other hand. Arrange
raspberries around circumference. Refrigerate cake, still on rack, until
glaze is set, at least 1 hour and up to 24 hours. Transfer cake to
serving platter, slice, and serve.

The link I give above is free, and the site gives some additional
diagrams for assembling the torte and some additional information about
why they chose this recipe rather than a more traditional sachertorte
recipe.

Bob

I'm back on the laptop 13-02-2012 03:53 PM

Sacher torte

gloria p > wrote in news:jh6emo$nn5$1@dont-
email.me:

> I just came across American's Test Kitchen and they are making an
> extra-chocolate Sachertorte. I went to the website and it's a

"premium"
> recipe. I.E. even though I have subscribed to the magazine for years
> and have a couple of copies of their "Best Recipes" cookbooks, they

want
> to charge me for the stupid recipe. (Yes, I know I can do a 14 day
> "free trial" but I won't do those because I'm being more selective

about
> sharing my credit card, and I don't want the hassle of canceling

within
> 14 days.)
>
> Does anyone have it to share?
>
> gloia p

Found the video of the recipe at ATK........ that Yvonne is a *HONEY*!!!
She can park her processor under my bed *any* day!!!

http://www.americastestkitchen.com/e...hp?docid=35166
&incode=M**ASCA00

And a couple others..............

http://allrecipes.com.au/recipe/8193...chertorte.aspx

http://www.applepiepatispate.com/aus...hocolate-cake/

--
Peter
Tasmania

I'm back on the laptop 13-02-2012 03:58 PM

Sacher torte

"I'm back on the laptop" > wrote in
:

> gloria p > wrote in news:jh6emo$nn5$1@dont-
> email.me:
>

>> I just came across American's Test Kitchen and they are making an
>> extra-chocolate Sachertorte. I went to the website and it's a

> "premium"
>> recipe. I.E. even though I have subscribed to the magazine for years
>> and have a couple of copies of their "Best Recipes" cookbooks, they

> want
>> to charge me for the stupid recipe. (Yes, I know I can do a 14 day
>> "free trial" but I won't do those because I'm being more selective

> about
>> sharing my credit card, and I don't want the hassle of canceling

> within
>> 14 days.)
>>
>> Does anyone have it to share?
>>
>> gloia p

> Found the video of the recipe at ATK........ that Yvonne is a

*HONEY*!!!
> She can park her processor under my bed *any* day!!!
>
> http://www.americastestkitchen.com/e...hp?docid=35166
> &incode=M**ASCA00

She could be wife #5 if she plays her cards right....... and learnt how
to say Apricot.

She says 'app-ricot' as in phone app.

We say 'ape-ricot'.

--
Peter
Tasmania

tert in seattle 13-02-2012 10:38 PM

Sacher torte

I'm back on the laptop wrote:
> "I'm back on the laptop" > wrote in
> :
>
>> gloria p > wrote in news:jh6emo$nn5$1@dont-
>> email.me:
>>

>>> I just came across American's Test Kitchen and they are making an
>>> extra-chocolate Sachertorte. I went to the website and it's a

>> "premium"
>>> recipe. I.E. even though I have subscribed to the magazine for years
>>> and have a couple of copies of their "Best Recipes" cookbooks, they

>> want
>>> to charge me for the stupid recipe. (Yes, I know I can do a 14 day
>>> "free trial" but I won't do those because I'm being more selective

>> about
>>> sharing my credit card, and I don't want the hassle of canceling

>> within
>>> 14 days.)
>>>
>>> Does anyone have it to share?
>>>
>>> gloia p

>> Found the video of the recipe at ATK........ that Yvonne is a

> *HONEY*!!!
>> She can park her processor under my bed *any* day!!!
>>
>> http://www.americastestkitchen.com/e...hp?docid=35166
>> &incode=M**ASCA00
>>

> She could be wife #5 if she plays her cards right....... and learnt how
> to say Apricot.
>
> She says 'app-ricot' as in phone app.
>
> We say 'ape-ricot'.

it's this thing called "American English"

you may have heard of it

she does need to stop calling it a "soccer" torte though

I'm back on the laptop 14-02-2012 01:40 AM

Sacher torte

tert in seattle > wrote in
:

> I'm back on the laptop wrote:

>>> Found the video of the recipe at ATK........ that Yvonne is a

>> *HONEY*!!!
>>> She can park her processor under my bed *any* day!!!
>>>
>>> http://www.americastestkitchen.com/e...hp?docid=35166
>>> &incode=M**ASCA00
>>>

>> She could be wife #5 if she plays her cards right....... and learnt

how
>> to say Apricot.
>>
>> She says 'app-ricot' as in phone app.
>>
>> We say 'ape-ricot'.

> it's this thing called "American English"
>
> you may have heard of it
>
> she does need to stop calling it a "soccer" torte though

LOL!!

'Soccer' torte :-)

What accent would hers be? (ie, which State.)

Not that it really matters, she's still drop dead gorgeous!!

--
Peter
Tasmania

Michael Kuettner[_2_] 14-02-2012 09:40 PM

Sacher torte

"gloria p" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> I just came across American's Test Kitchen and they are making an
> extra-chocolate Sachertorte. I went to the website and it's a "premium"
> recipe. I.E. even though I have subscribed to the magazine for years and
> have a couple of copies of their "Best Recipes" cookbooks, they want to
> charge me for the stupid recipe. (Yes, I know I can do a 14 day "free
> trial" but I won't do those because I'm being more selective about sharing
> my credit card, and I don't want the hassle of canceling within 14 days.)
>
> Does anyone have it to share?
>
> gloia p

Does have what to share ?
The strange USAn extra-chocolate thing or the Sachertorte ?

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Michael Kuettner[_2_] 14-02-2012 10:06 PM

Sacher torte

"Boron Elgar" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 12:14:29 -0700, gloria p >
> wrote:
>

>>I just came across American's Test Kitchen and they are making an
>>extra-chocolate Sachertorte. I went to the website and it's a "premium"
>>recipe. I.E. even though I have subscribed to the magazine for years
>>and have a couple of copies of their "Best Recipes" cookbooks, they want
>>to charge me for the stupid recipe. (Yes, I know I can do a 14 day
>>"free trial" but I won't do those because I'm being more selective about
>>sharing my credit card, and I don't want the hassle of canceling within
>>14 days.)
>>
>>Does anyone have it to share?
>>
>>gloia p

> This is the only one I see and it is marked "Premium," as it is also
> on the CI subscriber pages. Hope this is it.
>
> Frankly, these *******s have gotten a ton of money out of me over the
> years and screwed me on various subscriptions by front-loading them
> with 2-3 month old issues before sending the current one.
>
> Enjoy!

Ah, Neimann-Markus (sp?) - cookie recipe strikes again.

They've screwed you again, btw. That's no Sachertorte.

> Published January 10, 2007.
>
> Serves 8 to 10
>
> This cake stores very well in an airtight container or under a glass
> cake dome in the refrigerator for up to 48 hours. The cake texture
> becomes slightly more dense and the overall flavor more intense after
> at least 6 hours in the refrigerator. Bring the cake to room
> temperature before serving with whipped cream and, according to
> tradition, a cup of strong coffee.
> Ingredients
>
> Filling
> 1jar apricot jam (18 ounces, about 1 1/3 cups)
> Glaze
> 1/2cup heavy cream
> 2tablespoons light corn syrup
> 4ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate , chopped fine
> 1 1/2teaspoons vanilla extract

<snort>
The glaze consists of
250 g sugar
1/8 l water
200 g bittersweet chocolate, chopped fine.

Corn syrup ? <shudder>

> 1recipe Chocolate Génoise , cooled and split in half according to
> illustrations below (see related recipe)

That recipe is mercifully missing.

> Instructions
>
> 1. For the filling: Process apricot jam in food processor until
> smooth, about 10 seconds. Transfer to small saucepan and bring to
> simmer, stirring constantly, over medium heat. Remove from heat and
> cool to room temperature.

Yes. Makes much sense.
"Simmer jam and cool it." The writer of that "recipe" seems to have
seen the preparation from afar through binoculars and didn't get it.
It's nonsense.

> 2. For the glaze: Combine cream and corn syrup in medium saucepan
> and bring to full simmer over medium heat. Off heat, add chocolate;
> cover and let stand for 8 minutes. (If chocolate has not completely
> melted, return saucepan to low heat and stir constantly until melted.)
> Add vanilla; stir very gently until mixture is smooth. Cool until
> tepid so that spoonful drizzled back into the pan mounds slightly.

<shudder>
You cool the real Sacherglasur to 40 deg C.

> 3.

<snort and snip>
> Pour remaining apricot jam on
> top of cake and, using offset spatula, spread jam over edges and along
> sides of cake.

Pour at room temperature ? Right ! Ohmygod....

> Allow excess jam to fall off sides of cake onto baking
> sheet. Refrigerate cake on wire rack set on baking sheet until apricot
> jam is set, about 30 minutes.

<snort>
Whatever for ?

> 4. Pour chocolate glaze on top of cake. Using offset spatula,
> spread glaze evenly over top of cake and spread it along sides of
> cake. Refrigerate cake, still on rack set over baking sheet, until
> set, at least 1 hour and up to 48 hours. Transfer cake to a large
> platter and serve.

Ah, at least they call it cake.

<snip>

Thanks for a good laugh.