Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Are You Fixing A Special Dinner For Valentine's Day?

News wrote:

>My kids are doing just fine never having
> believed in the Easter Bunny ,Santa
> Claus, or the Tooth Fairy. I always said
> I would never lie to them.

I don't know how old your children are, but I just wonder how they feel
going to school hearing other children talk about what they got from
Santa (if they are in the lower grades) or what Easter Bunny left in
their basket, or how much money the tooth fairy put under their pillow?

I also don't know if you were raised not believing in those things, or
not? Everybody handles this in their own way, but personally from my own
experience as a child growing up, I would have felt deprived, or maybe
disappointed would be a better word to describe my feelings. A parent is
NOT lying to their child....it is make believe, and before long a child
figures it out himself. I've honestly never known a child that had to go
to a 'shrink' because they believed in a jolly fat man with a red suit,
or a bunny carrying candy and eggs from door to door...have you?

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I found out at the age of 7 there was no Santa Claus and I had SERIOUS
doubts about a fat man flying through the air on a sled long before I
discovered he was just a made up character. Even at that tender age I
wondered why some children got next to nothing while others were
glutted with presents when they hadn't been particularly 'good.' My
mind just questioned the feasibility of such a person existing. I
believed in the tooth fairy at first but that was somewhat
questionable, too, but never, ever, ever, ever did I believe in the
Easter Bunny. I dearly loved, and still do, hunting for Easter eggs.
I'm a bigger kid in that department than any of the little ones!
Loved getting a basket with all the goodies but never swallowed the
story about a rabbit delivering those sweet treats.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 8, 1:21*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
> News wrote:
> >My kids are doing just fine never having
> > believed in the Easter Bunny ,Santa
> > Claus, or the Tooth Fairy. I always said
> > I would never lie to them.

> I don't know how old your children are, but I just wonder how they feel
> going to school hearing other children talk about what they got from
> Santa (if they are in the lower grades) or what Easter Bunny left in
> their basket, or how much money the tooth fairy put under their pillow?
>
> I also don't know if you were raised not believing in those things, or
> not? Everybody handles this in their own way, but personally from my own
> experience as a child growing up, I would have felt deprived, or maybe
> disappointed would be a better word to describe my feelings. A parent is
> NOT lying to their child....it is make believe, and before long a child
> figures it out himself. I've honestly never known a child that had to go
> to a 'shrink' because they believed in a jolly fat man with a red suit,
> or a bunny carrying candy and eggs from door to door...have you?
>
> Judy

I agree with you 100% on this- it's fun for the adults also! My
stepdad had connections in North Pole, Alaska. My mom would write
notes for the kids from Santa, and then they would forward them up
there where they would be mailed from. I miss having little ones
around- the youngest in our family is 14, so I guess grandkids will be
next.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:

>I agree with you 100% on this- it's fun for
> the adults also! My stepdad had
> connections in North Pole, Alaska. My
> mom would write notes for the kids from
> Santa, and then they would forward
> them up there where they would be
> mailed from. I miss having little ones
> around- the youngest in our family is 14,
> so I guess grandkids will be next.

I remember when I was real young, my mom would help me write letters to
Santa (like with the spelling) and then 'he' would read them on the
radio, and that was such a thrill! There wasn't any bigger kid around
than my dad at Christmas time, and he made everything fun. He always was
the "neighborhood Santa" and would go door to door (back then we knew
all our neighbors, as wasn't that many) and he was the Santa that rode
on the firetruck to the community sing around the big tree, and would
hand out oranges and candy canes to all the kids. Wonderful memories
indeed!

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 8, 4:10*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
> merryb wrote:
> >I agree with you 100% on this- it's fun for
> > the adults also! My stepdad had
> > connections in North Pole, Alaska. My
> > mom would write notes for the kids from
> > Santa, and then they would forward
> > them up there where they would be
> > mailed from. I miss having little ones
> > around- the youngest in our family is 14,
> > so I guess grandkids will be next.

> I remember when I was real young, my mom would help me write letters to
> Santa (like with the spelling) and then 'he' would read them on the
> radio, and that was such a thrill! There wasn't any bigger kid around
> than my dad at Christmas time, and he made everything fun. He always was
> the "neighborhood Santa" and would go door to door (back then we knew
> all our neighbors, as wasn't that many) and he was the Santa that rode
> on the firetruck to the community sing around the big tree, and would
> hand out oranges and candy canes to all the kids. Wonderful memories
> indeed!
>
> Judy

Your Dad sounds like he was a great guy!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

On 2/8/2012 3:21 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:

> News wrote:
>
>> My kids are doing just fine never having
>> believed in the Easter Bunny ,Santa
>> Claus, or the Tooth Fairy. I always said
>> I would never lie to them.

> I don't know how old your children are, but I just wonder how they feel
> going to school hearing other children talk about what they got from
> Santa (if they are in the lower grades) or what Easter Bunny left in
> their basket, or how much money the tooth fairy put under their pillow?
>
> I also don't know if you were raised not believing in those things, or
> not? Everybody handles this in their own way, but personally from my own
> experience as a child growing up, I would have felt deprived, or maybe
> disappointed would be a better word to describe my feelings. A parent is
> NOT lying to their child....it is make believe, and before long a child
> figures it out himself. I've honestly never known a child that had to go
> to a 'shrink' because they believed in a jolly fat man with a red suit,
> or a bunny carrying candy and eggs from door to door...have you?

Santa Claus does exist!!!! I know first-hand and nothing anyone says (or
types) will convince me otherwise

Sky, who believes!

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Judy Haffner" > wrote in message

> News wrote:
>
>>My kids are doing just fine never having
>> believed in the Easter Bunny ,Santa
>> Claus, or the Tooth Fairy. I always said
>> I would never lie to them.

> I don't know how old your children are, but I just wonder how they feel
> going to school hearing other children talk about what they got from
> Santa (if they are in the lower grades) or what Easter Bunny left in
> their basket, or how much money the tooth fairy put under their pillow?

Well, they're 22, 18, and 14, and they never had a problem with it. They
thought those who beleived that stuff were silly.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:

> Santa Claus does exist!!!! I know first-hand and nothing anyone says (or
> types) will convince me otherwise

The four phases of Santa -

1) You believe in Santa.

2) You do not believe in Santa.

3) You are Santa.

4) You look like Santa.

I stil have enough of my original hair color to not being in phase four
yet. Being an active RFC poster I do have some of the other
qualifications. ;^)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 9 Feb 2012 20:19:02 +0000 (UTC), Doug Freyburger
> wrote:

> Sky wrote:
> >
> > Santa Claus does exist!!!! I know first-hand and nothing anyone says (or
> > types) will convince me otherwise

> The four phases of Santa -
>
> 1) You believe in Santa.
>
> 2) You do not believe in Santa.
>
> 3) You are Santa.
>
> 4) You look like Santa.

Bringing this back to food, I just found a really cute Christmas idea
that you may like too.
http://daisyt13.wordpress.com/2011/1...hat-brownies/#

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 14:51:49 -0800, sf > wrote:

-snip-

>Bringing this back to food, I just found a really cute Christmas idea
>that you may like too.
>http://daisyt13.wordpress.com/2011/1...hat-brownies/#

I'm going to lay those strawberries down on some heart-shaped
brownies. Just so I don't have to wait until Christmas for that
Mascarpone buttercream.

Thanks,
Jim
[and I didn't even notice the thread's title until now<g>]

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 18:30:34 -0500, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

> On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 14:51:49 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
> -snip-
> >>

> >Bringing this back to food, I just found a really cute Christmas idea
> >that you may like too.
> >http://daisyt13.wordpress.com/2011/1...hat-brownies/#

> I'm going to lay those strawberries down on some heart-shaped
> brownies. Just so I don't have to wait until Christmas for that
> Mascarpone buttercream.
>
> Thanks,
> Jim
> [and I didn't even notice the thread's title until now<g>]

Good idea! If I did it, I'd cut them the long way into halves instead
of a whole one with pointy end up. Hmmm. Maybe I will! A certain
somebody's birthday is coming up on the 13th.

Got any good ideas for the brownie scraps?