Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Are You Fixing A Special Dinner For Valentine's Day?

On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 23:11:10 -0800, Bob Terwilliger
> wrote:

> sf wrote:
>
> >> Kinda sad that in this cooking group there are only two people who
> >> intend to cook a special meal on the special occasion that is
> >> Valentine's Day. It's especially sad when you consider that it's one of
> >> the nights when restaurants will be at their *worst*.
> >>

> > For some of us, every night is a special night. Give credit where
> > credit is due.

> What are *you* cooking on Valentine's Day?

I don't know yet. It won't be the big deal you're making out of it,
for sure. I have other meals and a birthday party to think about
first.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/10/2012 1:37 AM, Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Bryan wrote:
>
>> I buy a live lobster to cook for my wife. I serve here the tail and
>> big claw pieces with lemon butter. Then I too the head and liver, and
>> painstakingly remove all the tiny bits of meat from the rest of the
>> shell. Then I boil the shells to make broth for soup to serve her the
>> next day.

> Kinda sad that in this cooking group there are only two people who
> intend to cook a special meal on the special occasion that is
> Valentine's Day. It's especially sad when you consider that it's one of
> the nights when restaurants will be at their *worst*.

I do appreciate the fact that you make a special occasion of
Valentine's day for your wives. I've just never been a Valentine's
Day kind of person and don't take it to mean I am knocking it.

Having said that, it's one of those days I wouldn't consider
going to a restaurant, like on New Year's or Mother's Day.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> On 2/10/2012 1:37 AM, Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> > Kinda sad that in this cooking group there are only two people who
> > intend to cook a special meal on the special occasion that is
> > Valentine's Day. It's especially sad when you consider that it's one of
> > the nights when restaurants will be at their *worst*.

> I do appreciate the fact that you make a special occasion of
> Valentine's day for your wives.

His wives? Didn't know Bob was a Morman.

> I've just never been a Valentine's
> Day kind of person and don't take it to mean I am knocking it.

Me neither. Whenever I had a girlfriend or "the wife," I always made
special dinner plans. Any man with a wife/girlfriend AND half a brain will
do something special on Valentine's Day. I often see men at the grocery
store on VD morning buying last minute roses at a very inflated price.
hehehe

> Having said that, it's one of those days I wouldn't consider
> going to a restaurant, like on New Year's or Mother's Day.

When I was married, the wife always wanted to go out to a restaurant for
Thanksgiving. Not good, said I. "This is a day of home cooking

Many years later, I tried that and me and my daughter went to one for
Thanksgiving. Big mistake!@ The food tasted like frozen dinner served on a
nice plate. And no nice smells in the house all day....and no leftovers
either. Ever since, I cook Thanksgiving dinner here. If invited to
someone's house, I'll do my own dinner the next day.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
>Bob T wrote:
>> Bryan wrote:
>>
>>> I buy a live lobster to cook for my wife. I serve here the tail and
>>> big claw pieces with lemon butter. Then I too the head and liver, and
>>> painstakingly remove all the tiny bits of meat from the rest of the
>>> shell. Then I boil the shells to make broth for soup to serve her the
>>> next day.

>> Kinda sad that in this cooking group there are only two people who
>> intend to cook a special meal on the special occasion that is
>> Valentine's Day. It's especially sad when you consider that it's one of
>> the nights when restaurants will be at their *worst*.

>I do appreciate the fact that you make a special occasion of
>Valentine's day for your wives. I've just never been a Valentine's
>Day kind of person and don't take it to mean I am knocking it.
>
>Having said that, it's one of those days I wouldn't consider
>going to a restaurant, like on New Year's or Mother's Day.
>
>nancy

I'm with you, Nancy... real romantics do St. Valentine's dinner in the
boudoir... join me for chocolates and bubbly in a heart shaped spa in
the Poconos...
http://www.covepoconoresorts.com/sui...veharbour.aspx
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Valentine's Day at Waffle House:

http://moneyland.time.com/2012/02/10...-white-castle/

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-bargain...ons-available/

Tara

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/10/2012 8:24 AM, Gary wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>> On 2/10/2012 1:37 AM, Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>>> Kinda sad that in this cooking group there are only two people who
>>> intend to cook a special meal on the special occasion that is
>>> Valentine's Day. It's especially sad when you consider that it's one of
>>> the nights when restaurants will be at their *worst*.

>> I do appreciate the fact that you make a special occasion of
>> Valentine's day for your wives.

> His wives? Didn't know Bob was a Morman.

(laugh) Bob's and Bryan's.

>> I've just never been a Valentine's
>> Day kind of person and don't take it to mean I am knocking it.

> Me neither. Whenever I had a girlfriend or "the wife," I always made
> special dinner plans. Any man with a wife/girlfriend AND half a brain will
> do something special on Valentine's Day. I often see men at the grocery
> store on VD morning buying last minute roses at a very inflated price.
> hehehe

I'm kind of low maintenance when it comes to stuff like that. The
rest of the time I'm spoiled rotten, believe me.

Of course (giving Gary a narrow look), no one's dared to call
me 'the wife.'

>> Having said that, it's one of those days I wouldn't consider
>> going to a restaurant, like on New Year's or Mother's Day.

> When I was married, the wife always wanted to go out to a restaurant for
> Thanksgiving. Not good, said I. "This is a day of home cooking

Absolutely. Depends on the circumstances, of course, but I'd
rather have a chicken dinner than go out for Thanksgiving. Or
meatloaf.

> Many years later, I tried that and me and my daughter went to one for
> Thanksgiving. Big mistake!@ The food tasted like frozen dinner served on a
> nice plate. And no nice smells in the house all day....and no leftovers
> either. Ever since, I cook Thanksgiving dinner here. If invited to
> someone's house, I'll do my own dinner the next day.

Ditto! Last year was the first time we didn't do that, normally
Saturday after it's home cooked TDay here. It might have something
to do with no free turkey anymore, we just never got the inspiration
to do it up without the bird taking up half the refrigerator already.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> On 2/10/2012 1:37 AM, Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>> Bryan wrote:
>>
>>> I buy a live lobster to cook for my wife. I serve here the tail and
>>> big claw pieces with lemon butter. Then I too the head and liver, and
>>> painstakingly remove all the tiny bits of meat from the rest of the
>>> shell. Then I boil the shells to make broth for soup to serve her the
>>> next day.

>> Kinda sad that in this cooking group there are only two people who
>> intend to cook a special meal on the special occasion that is
>> Valentine's Day. It's especially sad when you consider that it's one of
>> the nights when restaurants will be at their *worst*.

> I do appreciate the fact that you make a special occasion of
> Valentine's day for your wives. I've just never been a Valentine's
> Day kind of person and don't take it to mean I am knocking it.
>
> Having said that, it's one of those days I wouldn't consider
> going to a restaurant, like on New Year's or Mother's Day.

Wait! He has more than one wife?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/10/2012 9:49 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Nancy > wrote

>>> Kinda sad that in this cooking group there are only two people who
>>> intend to cook a special meal on the special occasion that is
>>> Valentine's Day. It's especially sad when you consider that it's one of
>>> the nights when restaurants will be at their *worst*.

>> I do appreciate the fact that you make a special occasion of
>> Valentine's day for your wives. I've just never been a Valentine's
>> Day kind of person and don't take it to mean I am knocking it.
>>
>> Having said that, it's one of those days I wouldn't consider
>> going to a restaurant, like on New Year's or Mother's Day.

> Wait! He has more than one wife?

No, one each for Bob and Bryan. That I know of, naturally.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 06:41:13 -0500, Nancy Young
> wrote:

> Having said that, it's one of those days I wouldn't consider
> going to a restaurant, like on New Year's or Mother's Day.

Because we hadn't done it for so many years I'd forgotten or maybe
either I didn't care about the crush when I was younger or it wasn't
as bad back in the Jurassic period... but the one time we did that in
recent years - the restaurants were slammed (especially the one we
were at). Luckily, we had a reservation so no waiting for us - but
people were lined up on the sidewalk waiting for a table and you know
how harried the wait staff was. Repeating it was such a non-starter
we haven't even discussed the possibility of dining out on Valentine's
Day since then.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 22:37:42 -0800, Bob Terwilliger
> wrote:

>Kinda sad that in this cooking group there are only two people who
>intend to cook a special meal on the special occasion that is
>Valentine's Day. It's especially sad when you consider that it's one of
>the nights when restaurants will be at their *worst*.
>
>Bob

At our house, every day we are together is special and appreciated.
Not sure what we'll be doing. Wife is dealing with some health issues
right now so I'll be cooking no matter what. How fancy depends on how
well she is feeling by then. Thee will be some little added
attraction in any case.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 23:51:50 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 22:37:42 -0800, Bob Terwilliger
> wrote:
>

>>Kinda sad that in this cooking group there are only two people who
>>intend to cook a special meal on the special occasion that is
>>Valentine's Day. It's especially sad when you consider that it's one of
>>the nights when restaurants will be at their *worst*.
>>
>>Bob

>At our house, every day we are together is special and appreciated.
>Not sure what we'll be doing.

Big sign in the mess hall at some Marine Base that I was stationed at
"Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast."

>Wife is dealing with some health issues
>right now so I'll be cooking no matter what. How fancy depends on how
>well she is feeling by then. Thee will be some little added
>attraction in any case.

I've done 99% of our cooking for 25 years-- but my wife's been sick
too for a few months. Every article that they show about V-day
fussing she says- 'Don't do that' 'Don't do that' --

There was a teaser for 'The middle' [a sitcom] the other day where the
lady says- 'so it is settled- a bucket of chicken, sweats, and the TV'
-- We both looked at each other- and the night is planned!<g>

Though now she'll get a rose, too. She doesn't want it, and normally
it would be a waste of money, time, and a flower. But it turned out
to be part of the joke on the sitcom.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim wrote:

> Big sign in the mess hall at some Marine Base that I was stationed at
> "Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast."

That Pollyanna slogan is common among the Marines. They think it shows
"motivation". I think it shows delusion. If every day is "special" then
"special" becomes ORDINARY.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Jim wrote:
>
> > Big sign in the mess hall at some Marine Base that I was stationed at
> > "Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast."

> That Pollyanna slogan is common among the Marines. They think it shows
> "motivation". I think it shows delusion. If every day is "special" then
> "special" becomes ORDINARY.

Look at it this way:

Every day that you are alive is special and a holiday.
Every meal is a feast if you get no meal afterwards.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 08:04:19 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>>
>> Jim wrote:
>>
>> > Big sign in the mess hall at some Marine Base that I was stationed at
>> > "Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast."

>> That Pollyanna slogan is common among the Marines. They think it shows
>> "motivation". I think it shows delusion. If every day is "special" then
>> "special" becomes ORDINARY.

>Look at it this way:
>
>Every day that you are alive is special and a holiday.
>Every meal is a feast if you get no meal afterwards.
>
>Gary

Try telling that to the younger crowd. You really have to appreciate
what (and who) you have NOW. Tomorrow may be too late.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 04:43:46 -0800, Bob Terwilliger
> wrote:

>Jim wrote:
>
>> Big sign in the mess hall at some Marine Base that I was stationed at
>> "Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast."

>That Pollyanna slogan is common among the Marines. They think it shows
>"motivation". I think it shows delusion. If every day is "special" then
>"special" becomes ORDINARY.

Way too many days in the Marines were boring. None were ordinary. I
think the saying references Isaiah 22:13 'Eat, drink, and be merry,
for tomorrow we die.'

Jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> At our house, every day we are together is special and appreciated.

Beautifully said! I echo your sentiments

--
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 14:25:49 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
.. .

>> At our house, every day we are together is special and appreciated.

>Beautifully said! I echo your sentiments

I agree.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 10, 8:51*pm, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 22:37:42 -0800, Bob Terwilliger
>
> > wrote:
>
> >Kinda sad that in this cooking group there are only two people who
> >intend to cook a special meal on the special occasion that is
> >Valentine's Day. It's especially sad when you consider that it's one of
> >the nights when restaurants will be at their *worst*.

> >Bob

> At our house, every day we are together is special and appreciated.
> Not sure what we'll be doing. *Wife is dealing with some health issues
> right now so I'll be cooking no matter what. *How fancy depends on how
> well she is feeling by then. *Thee will be some little added
> attraction in any case.

What a guy! You have a lucky wife...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 11, 4:25*am, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 23:51:50 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
> >On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 22:37:42 -0800, Bob Terwilliger
> > wrote:

> >>Kinda sad that in this cooking group there are only two people who
> >>intend to cook a special meal on the special occasion that is
> >>Valentine's Day. It's especially sad when you consider that it's one of
> >>the nights when restaurants will be at their *worst*.

> >>Bob

> >At our house, every day we are together is special and appreciated.
> >Not sure what we'll be doing.

> Big sign in the mess hall at some Marine Base that I was stationed at
> "Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast."
>
> >Wife is dealing with some health issues
> >right now so I'll be cooking no matter what. *How fancy depends on how
> >well she is feeling by then. *Thee will be some little added
> >attraction in any case.

> I've done 99% of our cooking for 25 years-- but my wife's been sick
> too for a few months. * *Every article that they show about V-day
> fussing she says- 'Don't do that' *'Don't do that' --
>
> There was a teaser for 'The middle' [a sitcom] the other day where the
> lady says- 'so it is settled- a bucket of chicken, sweats, and the TV'
> -- We both looked at each other- and the night is planned!<g>
>
> Though now she'll get a rose, too. *She doesn't want it, and normally
> it would be a waste of money, time, and a flower. *But it turned out
> to be part of the joke on the sitcom.
>
> Jim

Another great guy! Hope your wife feels better soon...
Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

My Valentine's mag issue from the Food Network is all about chocolate
this month. It has a pamphlet included with 50 brownies recipes so I am
thinking of going with brownies to take to work. I would like to buy a
package of those hot cinnamon gummy hearts and bake one inside each
brownie but I dont know if they will melt beyond recognition-ideally
would like each heart to be visible on the surface-don't know if I
should try to shove them into the center of each brownie right after
they come out of the oven?

Interesting about the child's anxiety over getting Valentines. I
remember feeling that same way in 6th grade. We made valentine shoeboxes
as an art project in school and they sat on our desks-in theory you were
supposed to find a moment to sneak your valentines into the others
boxes, easier said than done. I do remember feeling anxious, because the
class together did a "public unveiling" and the meaner kids were eagerly
watching to see who might get shunned. First teacher that I actively
disliked.

My first experience of the "new way" of "managing" a child's ego was in
8th grade when they announced that anyone who wanted to be a cheerleader
could be one, and they would rotate thru the resultant group-it was a
disaster.

My mom kept her old valentines from the early 40's and I immensely
enjoyed as a child looking at them. Times have changed-less
niceness/kindness in the world-today's generations cannot understand our
nostalgia for gentler times because their own times were not as good so
they have no comparison basis.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 19:02:41 -0800, Bob Terwilliger
> > wrote:
>
>> Jill wrote:
>>
>> > Nope, I'm not bitter about love but I think it's a strange holiday
>> > given
>> > that it's on Saint Valentine's Day, said date referring to a bloody
>> > massacre which took place during Prohibition.

>> The massacre was named after St. Valentine's Day, not the other way
>> around. If a massacre took place on December 25th, would you suddenly
>> believe that "Christmas Day" was named after the Christmas Massacre?
>> Yeah, you probably would. You really ARE that gullible and ignorant,
>> aren't you?
>>

> I'm pretty sure her tongue was planted firmly in her cheek.

I don't celebrate Christmas either

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 08/02/2012 2:17 AM, Judy Haffner wrote:

> How many here are planning a special menu to fix at home for family, or
> friends, or maybe a "significant other" that you want to impress?
>
> We use to always get together at my parent's home when they were both
> still living, and I'd always make a special dessert, and usually a salad
> of some kind.
>
> For the past few years my hubby and I go out to our favorite restaurant
> for dinner. They have a special menu just for that day with several
> choices.

We were out for dinner a couple nights ago to help my SiL celebrate her
birthday. Being an "upscale Italian" it was basically overpriced pasta
and red sauce dishes and we sort of blew the eating out budget on that
one. I have to admit that the calamari appetizer was the bet squid I
have ever had. My poor brother still has to take his wife out for
Valentines day. I guess that is the price he payfs for his wife working
while he is retired.

I am cooking lamb shanks for my sweetie. I am planning on braising them
in dark beer. That is one of her favourite dishes, and mine. At this
point it is a toss up whether we have it on barley or garlic mashed
potatoes. I cheated for dessert. I bought some nice pastries at the good
bakery shop in town.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/14/2012 2:43 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 08/02/2012 2:17 AM, Judy Haffner wrote:
>>
>> How many here are planning a special menu to fix at home for family, or
>> friends, or maybe a "significant other" that you want to impress?
>>
>> We use to always get together at my parent's home when they were both
>> still living, and I'd always make a special dessert, and usually a salad
>> of some kind.
>>
>> For the past few years my hubby and I go out to our favorite restaurant
>> for dinner. They have a special menu just for that day with several
>> choices.
>>

> We were out for dinner a couple nights ago to help my SiL celebrate her
> birthday. Being an "upscale Italian" it was basically overpriced pasta
> and red sauce dishes and we sort of blew the eating out budget on that
> one. I have to admit that the calamari appetizer was the bet squid I
> have ever had. My poor brother still has to take his wife out for
> Valentines day. I guess that is the price he payfs for his wife working
> while he is retired.
>

> I am cooking lamb shanks for my sweetie. I am planning on braising them
> in dark beer. That is one of her favourite dishes, and mine. At this
> point it is a toss up whether we have it on barley or garlic mashed
> potatoes. I cheated for dessert. I bought some nice pastries at the good
> bakery shop in town.

That sounds great!

We are grilling some tenderloin steaks, which we will serve with a
mushroom wine sauce. Garlic mashed potatoes and a large romaine salad
with mushrooms, grape tomatoes, red onion, feta cheese, to go with. I
just baked a Chocolate Pecan Whisky Pie for desert. We will drink 2005
Ledson Knights Valley Merlot with the dinner. As the steaks are
grilling, we will have shrimp cocktail with some excellent homemade
Sauvignon Blanc. Life is good! Rusty in MD
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 8, 3:27*am, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Judy Haffner" > wrote in message

> > How many here are planning a special menu to fix at home for family, or
> > friends, or maybe a "significant other" that you want to impress?

> > We use to always get together at my parent's home when they were both
> > still living, and I'd always make a special dessert, and usually a salad
> > of some kind.

> > For the past few years my hubby and I go out to our favorite restaurant
> > for dinner. They have a special menu just for that day with several
> > choices.

> Nope. *That's a Tuesday so dance classes as usual. *Must have a quick meal
> before classes start. *I might get some Valentine's paper plates but that
> would be it.

Valentines day is for people who have people that love them. Feel free
to exit the thread.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 8, 11:23*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> "Judy Haffner" > wrote in message

> > How many here are planning a special menu to fix at home for family, or
> > friends, or maybe a "significant other" that you want to impress?

> *(snippage)
>
> Valentine's Day is an artificial holiday created by the greeting card
> companies. *It has nothing to do with whether or not you love (or even like)
> someone. *It's designed to make you spend money on greeting cards and, by
> extension, take someone out to or cook dinner. *It's purely commercial and I
> don't subscribe to it any more than I sit around reading romance novels
> while sipping mint juleps
>
> Jill

Yabbut, you're a hateful old **** who has nobody to celebrate it with.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 14:43:24 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> I am cooking lamb shanks for my sweetie. I am planning on braising them
> in dark beer. That is one of her favourite dishes, and mine. At this
> point it is a toss up whether we have it on barley or garlic mashed
> potatoes. I cheated for dessert. I bought some nice pastries at the good
> bakery shop in town.

I'm braising a pot roast for my honey. Bought a big one so son &
grandson can stay for dinner if they wish, otherwise we'll have lots
of leftovers. Served with veggies, making a cold salad of more
veggies and if I light a fire under myself I'll make some sort of low
carb chocolate dessert. I just discovered that chocolate and cardamom
can team up, so that sounds interesting to me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 8, 9:30*am, Kalmia > wrote:
> Enn - oh. *It will be my time to get off my kitchen feet and get
> served. *Oh, and no resto for me with a fixed menu. *Been there - it
> was expensive, long wait, over-crowded and *food choices stunk. *We'll
> go to my fave, small, Italian joint.
>
> Say, I'd better make that reservation, huh!!

Update: smart resto owners. They offered for 60 bucks a couple:
bottle of merlot or pinot ( we wnet for the red)

choice of menu ( minus the paella) we chose the veal picatta and the
bouillabaisse)
Italian wedding soup soup or garden salad
garlic bread
tiramisu
coffee

Not a bad deal, compared to those fixed menu offerings at some
restos..
Brought a couple of good snorts of the wine home too - as long as
there's a cork in the bottle, it's legal as a to-go.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 14, 12:58*pm, Rusty > wrote:
> On 2/14/2012 2:43 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>

> > On 08/02/2012 2:17 AM, Judy Haffner wrote:

> >> How many here are planning a special menu to fix at home for family, or
> >> friends, or maybe a "significant other" that you want to impress?

> >> We use to always get together at my parent's home when they were both
> >> still living, and I'd always make a special dessert, and usually a salad
> >> of some kind.

> >> For the past few years my hubby and I go out to our favorite restaurant
> >> for dinner. They have a special menu just for that day with several
> >> choices.

> > We were out for dinner a couple nights ago to help my SiL celebrate her
> > birthday. Being an "upscale Italian" it was basically overpriced pasta
> > and red sauce dishes and we sort of blew the eating out budget on that
> > one. I have to admit that the calamari appetizer was the bet squid I
> > have ever had. My poor brother still has to take his wife out for
> > Valentines day. I guess that is the price he payfs for his wife working
> > while he is retired.

> > I am cooking lamb shanks for my sweetie. I am planning on braising them
> > in dark beer. That is one of her favourite dishes, and mine. At this
> > point it is a toss up whether we have it on barley or garlic mashed
> > potatoes. I cheated for dessert. I bought some nice pastries at the good
> > bakery shop in town.

> That sounds great!
>
> We are grilling some tenderloin steaks, which we will serve with a
> mushroom wine sauce. *Garlic mashed potatoes and a large romaine salad
> with mushrooms, grape tomatoes, red onion, feta cheese, to go with. *I
> just baked a Chocolate Pecan Whisky Pie for desert. We will drink 2005
> Ledson Knights Valley Merlot with the dinner. *As the steaks are
> grilling, we will have shrimp cocktail with some excellent homemade
> Sauvignon Blanc. *Life is good! * *Rusty in MD

Wow- that sounds delicious!
Since we usually don't go out, I decided to invite my recently
widowed mother and single sister over to celebrate with the husband
and 14 year old- VD is for the people you love, right? (insert crude
joke of your choice here) We had crab cakes with garlic aioli as an
appetizer. Dinner was steak with Bercy butter, twice baked potatoes
(the kid's fave) and asparagus, and dessert was a mixed berry gelato
with heart shaped crisp chocolate wafers. We also had a Spritz as a
reminder of Italy (Campari & Prosecco) along with a couple of bottles
of wine.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I wrote:

> APPETIZER
> Poached celery with shrimp

The celery could have cooked a bit longer, but the flavor was good. The
poaching liquid was made from the shrimp shells along with some white
wine, a chopped onion, and some celery.

> MAIN COURSE
> Chicken livers with blood-orange glaze and segments
> Mashed cauliflower
> Mixed greens

Before going shopping for the ingredients, I took stock of what we
already had, and found that we had fresh tuna, more shrimp than we'd
need for the appetizer, and a bunch of Meyer lemons. We also didn't have
cauliflower, but our farmers' market has been carrying some beautiful
broccoli romanesco, so I decided to buy that instead, both because of
the enhanced nutrition and the prettier color. We didn't have any
greens, so I was going to buy some, but there was a gorgeous bunch of
multi-colored baby carrots which looked even better than the greens did.
So the main course turned out to be:

* Seared tuna steaks with savory Meyer-lemon zabaglione

* Shrimp mousse: The zabaglione took three egg yolks and a whole egg. I
used the egg whites as the binder for the mousse. Just puréed the
(peeled and deveined) shrimp with the egg whites, some salt, and some
tarragon, spooned the mixture into ramekins, covered with foil, and put
into the steamer until firm.

* Broccoli romanesco two ways: Puréed with cream, with the crowns simply
steamed and arranged decoratively in the purée.

* Twice-steamed baby carrots: I learned this technique from an episode
of "Secrets of a Restaurant Chef". You cut off the tops of the carrots,
leaving about a quarter-inch of greens, then steam them for about nine
minutes. After that par-cooking, you use a paper towel to rub off the
skins from the carrots. Then you season them and steam them to the
desired degree of tenderness.

> DRIFTING TOWARD DESSERT
> Farina timbale with candied red bell pepper

Moths had infested our box of Cream of Wheat, so I made a polenta
timbale instead, and put a dollop of mascarpone on it to hold the
heart-shaped chunk of candied red bell pepper.

> DESSERT
> Apricot clafouti (made using dried apricots reconstituted in plum wine)

Lin had cooked the previous night, and we never got around to the
dessert she'd procured: heart-shaped tart shells with a thin layer of
seedless raspberry jam topped with chocolate ganache. So that's what we
had instead of the clafouti.

Lin took pictures! They'll be posted on Facebook because clueless AOL
newbie Sheldon "Pussy" Katz can eat a bag of shit.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 19:56:49 -0800, Bob Terwilliger
> wrote:

> I wrote:
>
> > MAIN COURSE
> > Chicken livers with blood-orange glaze and segments

I hope it tasted better than it sounds!

>our farmers' market has been carrying some beautiful
> broccoli romanesco, so I decided to buy that instead,

Lucky you! I've never seen it up close and personal.

> * Seared tuna steaks with savory Meyer-lemon zabaglione

Would you please post the recipe (or a link to it) for your
zabaglione? I don't care if it's here or on FB.

> * Shrimp mousse: The zabaglione took three egg yolks and a whole egg. I
> used the egg whites as the binder for the mousse. Just puréed the
> (peeled and deveined) shrimp with the egg whites, some salt, and some
> tarragon, spooned the mixture into ramekins, covered with foil, and put
> into the steamer until firm.

Are you saying the shrimp was in it? If so, never mind.

> > DRIFTING TOWARD DESSERT
> > Farina timbale with candied red bell pepper

> Moths had infested our box of Cream of Wheat, so I made a polenta
> timbale instead, and put a dollop of mascarpone on it to hold the
> heart-shaped chunk of candied red bell pepper.

Candied red bell pepper? Would you please give a quick review of what
you did to make it? I won't be making any but the process is
interesting.

> Lin had cooked the previous night, and we never got around to the
> dessert she'd procured: heart-shaped tart shells with a thin layer of
> seedless raspberry jam topped with chocolate ganache. So that's what we
> had instead of the clafouti.

I think my leg is twitching... it sounds sooo good!

> Lin took pictures! They'll be posted on Facebook

Okay, I'll look for them there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>>> MAIN COURSE
>>> Chicken livers with blood-orange glaze and segments

> I hope it tasted better than it sounds!

We had the tuna and the shrimp mousse instead. No point in going out to
buy chicken livers and blood oranges while the seafood and Meyer lemons
were right there in the refrigerator already.

>> * Seared tuna steaks with savory Meyer-lemon zabaglione

> Would you please post the recipe (or a link to it) for your
> zabaglione? I don't care if it's here or on FB.

Put three egg yolks and one egg into a double boiler. Whisk until
uniformly yellow. Add three tablespoons heavy cream, a quarter-cup of
Meyer lemon juice, a little salt, and white pepper to taste. Cook over
simmering water, whisking vigorously, until mixture is discernibly
thicker. Remove from heat and whisk in another three tablespoons of
heavy cream. (This is almost like hollandaise only it doesn't have any
butter and it has that one whole egg instead of all yolks. The whole egg
gives a fluffy texture, which is what I was after.)

>> * Shrimp mousse: The zabaglione took three egg yolks and a whole egg. I
>> used the egg whites as the binder for the mousse. Just puréed the
>> (peeled and deveined) shrimp with the egg whites, some salt, and some
>> tarragon, spooned the mixture into ramekins, covered with foil, and put
>> into the steamer until firm.

> Are you saying the shrimp was in it? If so, never mind.

The shrimp mousse was a separate item. It was kind of a shrimp sausage,
but it wasn't in a casing; it was steamed in the ramekin.

> Candied red bell pepper? Would you please give a quick review of what
> you did to make it? I won't be making any but the process is
> interesting.

Cut up a red bell pepper, discarding the seeds, stem, and white
membranes. Put two-and-a-half cups of water and a cup of sugar into a
fairly-small pan. Add the red bell pepper pieces and simmer over
medium-low heat until the pepper chunks are soft and the water has
become a thick syrup (but *not* with any caramel color to it; that means
you've gone too far). The bell pepper pieces will become very soft as
they cook, so take care when handling them. Gently turn pieces every now
and then so they'll cook evenly. When liquid has reduced to a thick
syrup and bell pepper pieces are soft, remove pieces carefully and dry
on a rack or Silpat.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 21:46:03 -0800, Bob Terwilliger
> wrote:

> > I hope it tasted better than it sounds!

> We had the tuna and the shrimp mousse instead. No point in going out to
> buy chicken livers and blood oranges while the seafood and Meyer lemons
> were right there in the refrigerator already.

That sounds sooo much better, really!

> >> * Seared tuna steaks with savory Meyer-lemon zabaglione

> > Would you please post the recipe (or a link to it) for your
> > zabaglione? I don't care if it's here or on FB.

> Put three egg yolks and one egg into a double boiler. Whisk until
> uniformly yellow. Add three tablespoons heavy cream, a quarter-cup of
> Meyer lemon juice, a little salt, and white pepper to taste. Cook over
> simmering water, whisking vigorously, until mixture is discernibly
> thicker. Remove from heat and whisk in another three tablespoons of
> heavy cream. (This is almost like hollandaise only it doesn't have any
> butter and it has that one whole egg instead of all yolks. The whole egg
> gives a fluffy texture, which is what I was after.)

I'm thinking I *will* have a use for this... somewhere, sometime,
somehow.

> >> * Shrimp mousse: The zabaglione took three egg yolks and a whole egg. I
> >> used the egg whites as the binder for the mousse. Just puréed the
> >> (peeled and deveined) shrimp with the egg whites, some salt, and some
> >> tarragon, spooned the mixture into ramekins, covered with foil, and put
> >> into the steamer until firm.

> > Are you saying the shrimp was in it? If so, never mind.

> The shrimp mousse was a separate item. It was kind of a shrimp sausage,
> but it wasn't in a casing; it was steamed in the ramekin.

Oh, that's sounding good now. Thanks.

> > Candied red bell pepper? Would you please give a quick review of what
> > you did to make it? I won't be making any but the process is
> > interesting.

> Cut up a red bell pepper, discarding the seeds, stem, and white
> membranes. Put two-and-a-half cups of water and a cup of sugar into a
> fairly-small pan. Add the red bell pepper pieces and simmer over
> medium-low heat until the pepper chunks are soft and the water has
> become a thick syrup (but *not* with any caramel color to it; that means
> you've gone too far). The bell pepper pieces will become very soft as
> they cook, so take care when handling them. Gently turn pieces every now
> and then so they'll cook evenly. When liquid has reduced to a thick
> syrup and bell pepper pieces are soft, remove pieces carefully and dry
> on a rack or Silpat.

Thanks, Bob - and see guys? We can actually be civil to each other on
occasion.