Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Limburger - yikes - 15.99/lb ++

I'm thinking of adding this to my luxury grocery items list. Used to
be a quick, fall-back-on meal, on an English, with onion. Def. NOT
to be eaten before any socializing, of course.

My supermkt finally repriced the cream cheese. For months, they had
the 1 lb. vat priced higher per pound than the 8 ouncer. I noticed
they also marked down the diCecco. Must've gotten near the pull
date. I'm waiting for them to put in on clearance and then.....dis
kid will stock up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 6, 2:57*pm, Kalmia > wrote:
> I'm thinking of adding this to my luxury grocery items list. *Used to
> be a quick, *fall-back-on meal, on an English, with onion. *Def. NOT
> to be eaten before any socializing, of course.
>
> My supermkt finally repriced the cream cheese. *For months, they had
> the 1 lb. vat priced higher per pound than the 8 ouncer. *I noticed
> they also marked down the diCecco. *Must've gotten near the pull
> date. *I'm waiting for them to put in on clearance and then.....dis
> kid will stock up.

Limburger here (at the Waterloo/St. Jacob's Market) is still $6.00 per
pound.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia > wrote:

>I'm thinking of adding this to my luxury grocery items list. Used to
>be a quick, fall-back-on meal, on an English, with onion. Def. NOT
>to be eaten before any socializing, of course.

There's one for my bucket list. I don't think I've ever noticed it in
the market or I would have picked some up. I usually only look at
cheese at Sams & BJs. I'll have to check the gourmet cheeses at my
grocery store today.

>My supermkt finally repriced the cream cheese. For months, they had
>the 1 lb. vat priced higher per pound than the 8 ouncer. I noticed
>they also marked down the diCecco. Must've gotten near the pull
>date. I'm waiting for them to put in on clearance and then.....dis
>kid will stock up.

you're lucky. Our local markets all seem to use computers that
calculate how quickly something turns over and calculate the markup on
that. so larger containers, which turn over more slowly, end up
more expensive. and then *more* expensive as folks notice the
disparity. Then they discontinue them.

I really think the local attitude is 'if you want big boxes, go to the
big box store.' which I do, so maybe the bean counters have a
point.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 6 Feb 2012 15:49:06 -0800 (PST), A Moose in Love
> wrote:

>On Feb 6, 2:57*pm, Kalmia > wrote:
>> I'm thinking of adding this to my luxury grocery items list. *Used to
>> be a quick, *fall-back-on meal, on an English, with onion. *Def. NOT
>> to be eaten before any socializing, of course.
>>
>> My supermkt finally repriced the cream cheese. *For months, they had
>> the 1 lb. vat priced higher per pound than the 8 ouncer. *I noticed
>> they also marked down the diCecco. *Must've gotten near the pull
>> date. *I'm waiting for them to put in on clearance and then.....dis
>> kid will stock up.

>Limburger here (at the Waterloo/St. Jacob's Market) is still $6.00 per
>pound.

That must be discounted Oak Grove limburger at that price. We recently
bought some right at the factory in New Hamburg and it was $7.85/lb.
Unfortunately, it's not the greatest limburger in the world.
The best limburger I ever had was Baden XXX brand, in the silver foil
wrapper, made in Baden, Ontario. But, as so often happens, they were
bought out by ***-Lea in about '84 and not long after Baden XXX was
discontinued.
Halali is about all you find in stores these days. It's not bad but it
runs from $5.99 to $7.99 for a 180 gram block.
Never mind Yikes $15.99/lb. I'd gladly pay $20 for a pound of the real
Baden XXX if it were still around today.
Oh, for a Baden XXX limburger and Spanish onion sandwich, they were
even on the menu at The Queen's Hotel in Wellesley.

Ross
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 6, 11:57*am, Kalmia > wrote:
> I'm thinking of adding this to my luxury grocery items list. *Used to
> be a quick, *fall-back-on meal, on an English, with onion. *Def. NOT
> to be eaten before any socializing, of course.
>
> My supermkt finally repriced the cream cheese. *For months, they had
> the 1 lb. vat priced higher per pound than the 8 ouncer. *I noticed
> they also marked down the diCecco. *Must've gotten near the pull
> date. *I'm waiting for them to put in on clearance and then.....dis
> kid will stock up.

My grandmother always had a big stash of cheese in her fridge. I
remember seeing Limburger in there and had heard about the smell, so I
took it out, opened it up, and took a big whiff. OMG- that was one of
the worst smells ever! I suppose it must taste better than it smells.
Parm smells like dirty feet to me, but tastes un-foot-like. I admit
I've never licked a dirty foot, tho!

Yikes! Prohibition? greybeard[_2_] Wine 8 20-02-2015 07:10 AM
floating relish? Yikes! Deidzoeb Preserving 1 10-08-2010 03:53 AM
Yikes! Gas price Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 142 06-05-2008 05:00 PM
Yikes!!! jmcquown General Cooking 0 14-08-2005 01:13 PM
Yikes! Her Serene Highness Chocolate 3 08-10-2003 02:29 PM