Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Peanut oil appearance

For the years I used Planters peanut oil (until it seemed to disappear
from the shelves) it had always been clear, yellow and liquid. You
know, like oil!

This week I ordered a house brand (they didn't have Planters) from
Stop & Ship via Peapod delivery service. and it is markedly
different: almost opaque, milky white, and viscous.

I'm hesitant to open it. Is this is a "new improved" product? Is the
different appearance due to a new processing method? Or is it bad
batch? Can anyone shed any light on this?

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Felice wrote:

> For the years I used Planters peanut oil (until it seemed to disappear
> from the shelves) it had always been clear, yellow and liquid. You
> know, like oil!
>
> This week I ordered a house brand (they didn't have Planters) from
> Stop & Ship via Peapod delivery service. and it is markedly
> different: almost opaque, milky white, and viscous.
>
> I'm hesitant to open it. Is this is a "new improved" product? Is the
> different appearance due to a new processing method? Or is it bad
> batch? Can anyone shed any light on this?

It's probably peanut oil in its natural form.
Planter's may have been a "winterized" oil,
i.e. oil that has been chilled and filtered
to remove the part which solidifies first
at low temperatures.

Note that peanut oil is high in saturated fat
compared to most other vegetable oils (but still
much lower than coconut oil). This makes it a
good frying oil, but it's atherogenic (bad for
your arteries).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 3, 9:45*am, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> Felice wrote:
>
> > For the years I used Planters peanut oil (until it seemed to disappear
> > from the shelves) it had always been clear, yellow and liquid. You
> > know, like oil!

> > This week I ordered a house brand (they didn't have Planters) from
> > Stop & Ship via Peapod *delivery service. and it is markedly
> > different: almost opaque, milky white, and viscous.

> > I'm hesitant to open it. Is this is a "new improved" product? Is the
> > different appearance due to a new processing method? Or is it bad
> > batch? Can anyone shed any light on this?

I have never seen anything other than golden peanut oil, whether
Planters, Hollywood, or house brand.

> It's probably peanut oil in its natural form.
> Planter's may have been a "winterized" oil,
> i.e. oil that has been chilled and filtered
> to remove the part which solidifies first
> at low temperatures.
>
> Note that peanut oil is high in saturated fat
> compared to most other vegetable oils (but still
> much lower than coconut oil). *This makes it a
> good frying oil, but it's atherogenic (bad for
> your arteries).

This is bullshit. Compared to olive oil, 100 grams of peanut oil has
just three more grams of saturated fat. The big advantage of peanut
oil is its percentage of monounsaturated fat, second only to olive
oil, and 50 to 100% more than other vegetable oils.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Peanut oil appearance (never mind!)

"Felice" > wrote in message

> For the years I used Planters peanut oil (until it seemed to
> disappear
> from the shelves) it had always been clear, yellow and liquid. You
> know, like oil!
>
> This week I ordered a house brand (they didn't have Planters) from
> Stop & Ship via Peapod delivery service. and it is markedly
> different: almost opaque, milky white, and viscous.
>
> I'm hesitant to open it. Is this is a "new improved" product? Is the
> different appearance due to a new processing method? Or is it bad
> batch? Can anyone shed any light on this?
>
> Felice

Oops, sorry. I just took another look at the peanut oil and it looks
just fine. My guess is that it was exposed to extreme cold before
delivery and suffered a bit of a chill. Thanks anyhow!

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Felice" wrote:

>For the years I used Planters peanut oil (until it seemed to disappear
>from the shelves) it had always been clear, yellow and liquid. You
>know, like oil!
>
>This week I ordered a house brand (they didn't have Planters) from
>Stop & Ship via Peapod delivery service. and it is markedly
>different: almost opaque, milky white, and viscous.
>
>I'm hesitant to open it. Is this is a "new improved" product? Is the
>different appearance due to a new processing method? Or is it bad
>batch? Can anyone shed any light on this?
>
>Felice

I'd send it back.
That description is of no peanut oil I ever saw... opaque, milky
white, and viscous... maybe by mistake you ordered penis oil.
Maybe not by mistake! hehe

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 03/02/2012 12:45 PM, Mark Thorson wrote:

> Note that peanut oil is high in saturated fat
> compared to most other vegetable oils (but still
> much lower than coconut oil). This makes it a
> good frying oil, but it's atherogenic (bad for
> your arteries).

It is not that bad. It is a little higher than other relatively cheap
and available oils, like olive, corn or sunflower oil, or safflower. It
is a lot lower than margarine, lard, butter, palm oil or coconut oil.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 3 Feb 2012 12:36:06 -0500, "Felice" >
wrote:

>For the years I used Planters peanut oil (until it seemed to disappear
>from the shelves) it had always been clear, yellow and liquid. You
>know, like oil!
>
>This week I ordered a house brand (they didn't have Planters) from
>Stop & Ship via Peapod delivery service. and it is markedly
>different: almost opaque, milky white, and viscous.
>
>I'm hesitant to open it. Is this is a "new improved" product? Is the
>different appearance due to a new processing method? Or is it bad
>batch? Can anyone shed any light on this?
>
>Felice

It may just be cold. I've had that happen to peanut oil I have stored
in an unheated room
janet us
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Felice" > wrote in message
> "Felice" > wrote in message
>
>> For the years I used Planters peanut oil (until it seemed to disappear
>> from the shelves) it had always been clear, yellow and liquid. You
>> know, like oil!
>>
>> This week I ordered a house brand (they didn't have Planters) from
>> Stop & Ship via Peapod delivery service. and it is markedly
>> different: almost opaque, milky white, and viscous.
>>
>> I'm hesitant to open it. Is this is a "new improved" product? Is the
>> different appearance due to a new processing method? Or is it bad
>> batch? Can anyone shed any light on this?
>>
>> Felice

> Oops, sorry. I just took another look at the peanut oil and it looks just
> fine. My guess is that it was exposed to extreme cold before delivery and
> suffered a bit of a chill. Thanks anyhow!
>
> Felice

My garage stored lg. bottle of EVOO looked similar and cleared up when it
spent the night in the pantry. It tastes fine. You can find peanut oil in
large containers in a Chinese market if there's one near you.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> On 03/02/2012 12:45 PM, Mark Thorson wrote:
>
> > Note that peanut oil is high in saturated fat
> > compared to most other vegetable oils (but still
> > much lower than coconut oil). This makes it a
> > good frying oil, but it's atherogenic (bad for
> > your arteries).

> It is not that bad. It is a little higher than other relatively cheap
> and available oils, like olive, corn or sunflower oil, or safflower. It
> is a lot lower than margarine, lard, butter, palm oil or coconut oil.

I was pretty sure you were wrong, but I just
checked Wikipedia and you're right. It's only
a little bit higher in saturated fat -- an
insignificant amount.

I thought I was accurately remembering the fat
percentages I've seen on the labels of vegetable
oils, but I wasn't -- unless they've changed the
way saturated fat is measured in the last 30 years.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 3, 11:45*am, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> Felice wrote:
>
> > For the years I used Planters peanut oil (until it seemed to disappear
> > from the shelves) it had always been clear, yellow and liquid. You
> > know, like oil!

> > This week I ordered a house brand (they didn't have Planters) from
> > Stop & Ship via Peapod *delivery service. and it is markedly
> > different: almost opaque, milky white, and viscous.

> > I'm hesitant to open it. Is this is a "new improved" product? Is the
> > different appearance due to a new processing method? Or is it bad
> > batch? Can anyone shed any light on this?

> It's probably peanut oil in its natural form.
> Planter's may have been a "winterized" oil,
> i.e. oil that has been chilled and filtered
> to remove the part which solidifies first
> at low temperatures.
>
> Note that peanut oil is high in saturated fat
> compared to most other vegetable oils (but still
> much lower than coconut oil). *This makes it a
> good frying oil, but it's atherogenic (bad for
> your arteries).

10% palmitic acid is not a big deal. It is primarily oleic, which is
good for HDL/LDL balance. It's the cheapest of the decent oils. I'd
be more concerned with the high levels of Omega 6, but for frying
something like fish, where you're going to toss most of it, I am just
too frugal to use my pecan oil, and prefer the neutral taste to even
the lightest of olive oils. The least atherogenic oil is macadamia,
and if you can afford it, I encourage you to use it, but disparaging
peanut or even coconut oil for frying is silly. Not all saturated
fats are bad, and not all polyunsaturates are good.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote:

>That list I posted shows Supremo EVOO costs less than regular olive
>oil. When I see stuff like that it makes me wonder.

>I bought their house brand tahini (probably from Atlanta One) and was
>disappointed. How can ground up sesame seeds be the consistency of a
>warm milkshake? I suspect it was watered down, possibly using a cheap
>oil.

TJ's sells a "Tahini sauce" that is nothing like normal tahini,
which should have approximately the form factor of pure peanut butter --
sticky stuff with maybe some oil separating.

I routinely put (real) tahini into yogurt, cottage cheese, or
kefir when I am snacking on same. I normally only buy a jar
when I'm planning on making babaganous, but then I use it up
for other stuff in short order.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> Or heck, the Bertolli was just $1 more per liter. I'll probably do
> that.

I'm deeply suspicious of Bertolli olive oil.
Years ago, I used to keep my olive oil in the
refrigerator, and generally a large proportion
would become semi-solid. Bertolli was unusual
in that the proportion was much smaller. It
just didn't behave the way I expected pure olive
oil to behave. That's what made me suspicious.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 04 Feb 2012 13:50:57 -0800, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
> >
> > Or heck, the Bertolli was just $1 more per liter. I'll probably do
> > that.

> I'm deeply suspicious of Bertolli olive oil.
> Years ago, I used to keep my olive oil in the
> refrigerator, and generally a large proportion
> would become semi-solid. Bertolli was unusual
> in that the proportion was much smaller. It
> just didn't behave the way I expected pure olive
> oil to behave. That's what made me suspicious.

You don't have to worry about Bertolli at least here in California.
http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jul...e-oil-20100715

--

Tell congress not to censor the web. Add your voice here.
https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 4 Feb 2012 18:53:35 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sat, 04 Feb 2012 13:50:57 -0800, Mark Thorson wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz wrote:
>>>
>>> Or heck, the Bertolli was just $1 more per liter. I'll probably do
>>> that.

>> I'm deeply suspicious of Bertolli olive oil.
>> Years ago, I used to keep my olive oil in the
>> refrigerator, and generally a large proportion
>> would become semi-solid. Bertolli was unusual
>> in that the proportion was much smaller. It
>> just didn't behave the way I expected pure olive
>> oil to behave. That's what made me suspicious.

>Fortunately, I don't give your opinions any credit. If anything, it
>has made me want to buy it even more.
>
>Sheldon, what do YOU think of Bertolli EVOO?

Bertolli is a decent EVOO, but it's not consistant. I most often buy
Goya EVOO, from Spain... never been disappointed. For cooking I buy
EVOO from Walmart, it's inexpensive and works fine for rubbing a
roast, pan frying pork chops etc., and for seasoned salad dressings.
But for drizzling on a composed salad or on bread I prefer Goya. I
see no point in using primo olive oils vinaigrettes, that's like using
top shelf booze for mixed drinks. I'm not fond of Italian EVOO, I've
bought some pricy estate oils and they sucked. I'm sure most Italian
EVOO are blends and otherwise misrepresented. With Italian food
products of all kinds you're mostly paying for fancy schmancy
packaging... they do have the nicest looking tins and bottles. I
think most Italian table cheeses are way over rated too, their grating
cheeses are fine but not their table cheeses... other than mozz,
provolone, and gorgonzola the rest are not memorable. I think most
Italian style food products made in the US, especially sausage and
other cured meat, is better. Even the dago red fermented in Brooklyn
basements is better than anything bottled in Italy. And there is no
good seafood in the warm waters of the Med. And no one brews worse
coffee than an Italian, they should be forbidden to touch coffee
beans. If you want good coffee, that's one thing a-rabs can do well.
Italians are good bakers, they make good bread and their pastries are
far better than anthing made by the French. One would think the
French should have great olive oils but we never hear about it.
Nowadays the best olive oil is from California.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Trader Joe's (was Peanut oil appearance (never mind!))

Marty wrote:

> After spending hundreds of dollars at the new TJs here, I may have found
> five items I would go back to buy, plus the cheap wine. I also found a whole
> lot of ho hum marginal stuff and a number of things that totally sucked
> eggs.

Trader Joe's no longer carries some of the items I used to really enjoy
from them. They used to sell a Cuban simmer sauce which was really
outstanding. They used to sell a brand of white chocolate
(Swartenbroekx? Something like that) which I really liked because unlike
most other white chocolates out there, it wasn't waxy.

Now I go there for candied ginger, cashews, and some dried fruit. If a
particular wine, beer, or cider catches my eye I might buy that too. But
those trips are few and far between; the merchandise doesn't usually
justify the trip.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Clueless AOL newbie Sheldon "Pussy" Katz wrote:

> there is no good seafood in the warm waters of the Med.

Just to be clear, you're not claiming that the Mediterranean Sea is all
warm, are you? That would be stunningly ignorant, even for you.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 04 Feb 2012 21:23:26 -0800, Bob Terwilliger
> wrote:

>Marty wrote:
>
>> After spending hundreds of dollars at the new TJs here, I may have found
>> five items I would go back to buy, plus the cheap wine. I also found a whole
>> lot of ho hum marginal stuff and a number of things that totally sucked
>> eggs.

>Trader Joe's no longer carries some of the items I used to really enjoy
>from them. They used to sell a Cuban simmer sauce which was really
>outstanding. They used to sell a brand of white chocolate
>(Swartenbroekx? Something like that) which I really liked because unlike
>most other white chocolates out there, it wasn't waxy.
>
>Now I go there for candied ginger, cashews, and some dried fruit. If a
>particular wine, beer, or cider catches my eye I might buy that too. But
>those trips are few and far between; the merchandise doesn't usually
>justify the trip.

I think it must depend on what other choices you have near you. Some
of the stuff is good but not enough for a special trip. There's one
just 10 minutes from us but we only stop in 3-4 times a year.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 12:03:38 -0600, Lou Decruss
> wrote:

>On Sat, 04 Feb 2012 21:23:26 -0800, Bob Terwilliger
> wrote:
>
>>Marty wrote:
>>
>>> After spending hundreds of dollars at the new TJs here, I may have found
>>> five items I would go back to buy, plus the cheap wine. I also found a whole
>>> lot of ho hum marginal stuff and a number of things that totally sucked
>>> eggs.

>>Trader Joe's no longer carries some of the items I used to really enjoy
>>from them. They used to sell a Cuban simmer sauce which was really
>>outstanding. They used to sell a brand of white chocolate
>>(Swartenbroekx? Something like that) which I really liked because unlike
>>most other white chocolates out there, it wasn't waxy.
>>
>>Now I go there for candied ginger, cashews, and some dried fruit. If a
>>particular wine, beer, or cider catches my eye I might buy that too. But
>>those trips are few and far between; the merchandise doesn't usually
>>justify the trip.

>I think it must depend on what other choices you have near you. Some
>of the stuff is good but not enough for a special trip. There's one
>just 10 minutes from us but we only stop in 3-4 times a year.
>
>Lou

I would stop more frequently if only for the sweet potato fries.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/5/2012 7:19 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:

> They almost always have flowering or herb plants at decent
> prices.There is almost always something terrific and lovely and cheap.
> They had blooming, heavenly-scented jasmine today.

I've never had luck with jasmine reblooming after I've bought it already
blooming. I haven't tried it here at my own home, but I had some at the
old apartment I used to live in. The deck was closed on 3 sides, plenty
of sun, and the deck smelled heavenly when I'd sit out there. Once
those blooms faded, that was it for it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 19:19:15 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

> They are what they are...not a full grocery store, not even a
> specialty market but I think of them as what an upscale, sort of yuppy
> 7-11 would be. Lots of organics, if one wants, lots of all natural
> items. I like 'em.

I think the people who complain about them are the ones who turned it
into the predictable "grocery" store it is today. Not as much fun as
before, but like you I shop there and am satisfied - probably because
I don't want or expect it to be a one stop shopping destination.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 17:10:23 -0800, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

> I have been getting their mayonnaise lately: I swear it is made
> by Dukes. It has the same flavor and no sugar.

I think I'll buy theirs the next time I need mayonnaise then. I've
wanted to try Dukes to see what all the hooha is about.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 21:34:13 -0500, Cheryl >
wrote:

> On 2/5/2012 7:19 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:
>
> > They almost always have flowering or herb plants at decent
> > prices.There is almost always something terrific and lovely and cheap.
> > They had blooming, heavenly-scented jasmine today.

> I've never had luck with jasmine reblooming after I've bought it already
> blooming. I haven't tried it here at my own home, but I had some at the
> old apartment I used to live in. The deck was closed on 3 sides, plenty
> of sun, and the deck smelled heavenly when I'd sit out there. Once
> those blooms faded, that was it for it.

Sounds like too much nitrogen. Nitrogen encourages leaf growth. You
need a lower nitrogen fertilizer to encourage blooming.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/24...wer-nutrition/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 23:36:02 -0800, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

> On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 23:13:22 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 17:10:23 -0800, Christine Dabney
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I have been getting their mayonnaise lately: I swear it is made
> >> by Dukes. It has the same flavor and no sugar.

> >I think I'll buy theirs the next time I need mayonnaise then. I've
> >wanted to try Dukes to see what all the hooha is about.

> Mind you, it could be from some other manufacturer. But it sure
> reminds me of Dukes. I am happy to keep on buying it.

If you think it's that close to Duke's (and who am I to say
otherwise?), it's worth the price of a jar just to see what the heck
you're talking about!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 6, 2:46*am, Christine Dabney > wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Feb 2012 00:31:09 -0800, sf > wrote:
> >If you think it's that close to Duke's (and who am I to say
> >otherwise?), it's worth the price of a jar just to see what the heck
> >you're talking about! *

> I hope you like it. *If you don't I guess I will just figure your
> tastebuds don't like the same things I do. *

It's jarred mayo, and it's made with egg whites, which do not belong
in any mayo.
What a thing to get excited about.

> Christine

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
. com...
> On 03/02/2012 12:45 PM, Mark Thorson wrote:
>
>> Note that peanut oil is high in saturated fat
>> compared to most other vegetable oils (but still
>> much lower than coconut oil). This makes it a
>> good frying oil, but it's atherogenic (bad for
>> your arteries).

> It is not that bad. It is a little higher than other relatively cheap and
> available oils, like olive, corn or sunflower oil, or safflower. It is a
> lot lower than margarine, lard, butter, palm oil or coconut oil.

I just use canola or corn oil for pan frying. Peanut oil is very pricey and
I'd have to be deep frying to convince me to pay for it. I don't deep fry
much of anything these days.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 06 Feb 2012 00:46:58 -0800, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

> On Mon, 06 Feb 2012 00:31:09 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
> >If you think it's that close to Duke's (and who am I to say
> >otherwise?), it's worth the price of a jar just to see what the heck
> >you're talking about!

> I hope you like it. If you don't I guess I will just figure your
> tastebuds don't like the same things I do.

I'm not super critical of mayonnaise. The worst I'll be able to
muster up would be along the lines of "it tastes like Best
Foods/Hellman's" which won't be a criticism, it's just that I can't
tell the difference. To illustrate - I'm okay with Best Foods "lite"
mayonnaise. Sure there's a tiny difference, but big whoop. It tastes
just fine to me and there's less fat which is great.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine wrote:

> Their French mustards are the real thing.

Mustard loses its bite over time. People from the USA who try mustard in
France often are startled at how potent it is. Mustard which is made in
France and shipped to the USA often lacks that intensity because of the
time which elapses between when it was made and when it finally gets
consumed. So I wouldn't go out of my way to buy genuine French mustard
unless there was some way of knowing when it was jarred.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/6/2012 2:20 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 21:34:13 -0500, >
> wrote:
>
>> On 2/5/2012 7:19 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:
>>
>>> They almost always have flowering or herb plants at decent
>>> prices.There is almost always something terrific and lovely and cheap.
>>> They had blooming, heavenly-scented jasmine today.

>> I've never had luck with jasmine reblooming after I've bought it already
>> blooming. I haven't tried it here at my own home, but I had some at the
>> old apartment I used to live in. The deck was closed on 3 sides, plenty
>> of sun, and the deck smelled heavenly when I'd sit out there. Once
>> those blooms faded, that was it for it.

> Sounds like too much nitrogen. Nitrogen encourages leaf growth. You
> need a lower nitrogen fertilizer to encourage blooming.
> http://www.livestrong.com/article/24...wer-nutrition/

I might try them again because I just love them. Thanks for the link.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 6, 11:31*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>
> . com...
>
> > On 03/02/2012 12:45 PM, Mark Thorson wrote:

> >> Note that peanut oil is high in saturated fat
> >> compared to most other vegetable oils (but still
> >> much lower than coconut oil). *This makes it a
> >> good frying oil, but it's atherogenic (bad for
> >> your arteries).

> > It is not that bad. It is a little higher than other relatively cheap and
> > available oils, like olive, corn or sunflower oil, or safflower. *It is a
> > lot lower than *margarine, lard, butter, palm oil or coconut oil.

> I just use canola or corn oil for pan frying. *Peanut oil is very pricey and
> I'd have to be deep frying to convince me to pay for it. *I don't deep fry
> much of anything these days.

Canola is OK if you're someone whom it tastes neutral to, but corn oil
is not. Peanut is not "very pricey." Jeez, $13/gallon as opposed to
$9 for canola. Anything cheaper than peanut isn't something I'd use
these days. Pricey is my $32/gallon (including shipping) gallon of
pecan oil. Macadamia is a couple dollars more than that. Those are
both sipping quality oils. If you're making salad dressing of any
sort, cheap, crappy oil will just make it taste bad. There are times
when one might want to add flavor with EVOO, or a roasted nut or seed
oil, but for neutral oil on the cheap, you can't beat peanut.

> Jill

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 6, 6:36*pm, Bryan > wrote:
> On Feb 6, 11:31*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
>

> > "Dave Smith" > wrote in message

> .com...

> > > It is not that bad. It is a little higher than other relatively cheap and
> > > available oils, like olive, corn or sunflower oil, or safflower. *It is a
> > > lot lower than *margarine, lard, butter, palm oil or coconut oil.

> > I just use canola or corn oil for pan frying. *Peanut oil is very pricey and
> > I'd have to be deep frying to convince me to pay for it. *I don't deep fry
> > much of anything these days.

> Canola is OK if you're someone whom it tastes neutral to, but corn oil
> is not. *Peanut is not "very pricey." *Jeez, *$13/gallon as opposed to
> $9 for canola. *Anything cheaper than peanut isn't something I'd use
> these days. *Pricey is my $32/gallon (including shipping) gallon of
> pecan oil. *Macadamia is a couple dollars more than that. *Those are
> both sipping quality oils. *If you're making salad dressing of any
> sort, cheap, crappy oil will just make it taste bad. *There are times
> when one might want to add flavor with EVOO, or a roasted nut or seed
> oil, but for neutral oil on the cheap, you can't beat peanut.

I wouldn't say peanut oil is neutral -- to me peanut oil makes
whatever I cook with taste better, whether I am browning beef, making
popcorn, or stirfrying. Corn oil is the nastiest tasting oil to fry
with, in my opinion.

Further, peanut oil is reasonable by the gallon, but if you are forced
to use the tiny bottles that are all that's available at stores these
days -- assuming you can even find them -- it's not all that cheap.

For less-usual oils, we usually have a bottle of walnut oil and sesame
oil (in the fridge, to retard rancidity). Certain salads need walnut
oil, and sesame oil is drizzled on certain stirfries after cooking.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 09:24:06 -0800, Terry Pulliam Burd
> wrote:

> As the OP said, I'll pick up a thing or two that
> catches my eye, but my usual shopping goes to the Ralph's a block
> further on.

Ralph's is a real grocery store and I'm always dumbfounded by those
who expect TJ's to be one. Leave Trader Joe's alone!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 20:17:50 -0800, sf > arranged
random neurons and said:

>On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 09:24:06 -0800, Terry Pulliam Burd
> wrote:
>
>> As the OP said, I'll pick up a thing or two that
>> catches my eye, but my usual shopping goes to the Ralph's a block
>> further on.

>Ralph's is a real grocery store and I'm always dumbfounded by those
>who expect TJ's to be one. Leave Trader Joe's alone!

Absolutely - ITA. TJ's is a quirky store and I love it that way. Every
time I go in there (usually for something specific), I find something
*else* and, as another poster commented, they often have really
interesting plant offerings on your way in the store. I bought some
gorgeous poinsettias in late November that were much nicer looking
than the ones at (local garden shop) Armstrong's and $2 cheaper to
boot, but what really caught my eye a couple of weeks ago was some
beautiful heather! Big, fat, fluffy speciments, 3 of which are
residing on my front porch. Score!

TJ's also has some spices I can't get locally anyplace else, and some
of their frozen food offerings are unique and generally very good.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 08 Feb 2012 19:38:54 -0800, Terry Pulliam Burd
> wrote:

> On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 20:17:50 -0800, sf > arranged
> random neurons and said:
>
> >On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 09:24:06 -0800, Terry Pulliam Burd
> > wrote:
> >
> >> As the OP said, I'll pick up a thing or two that
> >> catches my eye, but my usual shopping goes to the Ralph's a block
> >> further on.

> >Ralph's is a real grocery store and I'm always dumbfounded by those
> >who expect TJ's to be one. Leave Trader Joe's alone!

> Absolutely - ITA. TJ's is a quirky store and I love it that way. Every
> time I go in there (usually for something specific), I find something
> *else* and, as another poster commented, they often have really
> interesting plant offerings on your way in the store. I bought some
> gorgeous poinsettias in late November that were much nicer looking
> than the ones at (local garden shop) Armstrong's and $2 cheaper to
> boot, but what really caught my eye a couple of weeks ago was some
> beautiful heather! Big, fat, fluffy speciments, 3 of which are
> residing on my front porch. Score!

I don't usually buy their plants, but someone gave me the *best* pot
of basil last year. It lasted well past the time it should have and
only died with I gave it to someone to care for while I went on
vacation.

> TJ's also has some spices I can't get locally anyplace else, and some
> of their frozen food offerings are unique and generally very good.

Keeping it in general terms, you're right. I'm not much for frozen
foods, so my opinions are somewhat different than yours. For
instance, my opinion of those hot dogs/sausages wrapped in puff pastry
that your husband liked so much was "meh". TJ's used to be my go-to
store for frozen petit peas, but I can buy them anywhere now. OTOH -
I usually see new items, like sweet potato fries, first at TJ's.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 10:42:12 -0800, sf > arranged
random neurons and said:

>On Wed, 08 Feb 2012 19:38:54 -0800, Terry Pulliam Burd
> wrote:

>> TJ's also has some spices I can't get locally anyplace else, and some
>> of their frozen food offerings are unique and generally very good.
>>

>Keeping it in general terms, you're right. I'm not much for frozen
>foods, so my opinions are somewhat different than yours. For
>instance, my opinion of those hot dogs/sausages wrapped in puff pastry
>that your husband liked so much was "meh". TJ's used to be my go-to
>store for frozen petit peas, but I can buy them anywhere now. OTOH -
>I usually see new items, like sweet potato fries, first at TJ's.

As to the pastry "dogs," bear in mind, Bill is also a culinary
Neanderthal. His omelet "creation" looks like a sofa cushion and is
stuffed with shredded white bread, American cheese squares and bacon
bits. He also loves Dennison chili and LaChoy chow mein. I'd blame it
on being a military brat and living on the dregs of the commissary
order toward the end of the month, but I'm a military brat, too, and
would have to be literally starving to death to eat that stuff

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 11:13:45 -0800, Terry Pulliam Burd
> wrote:

> As to the pastry "dogs," bear in mind, Bill is also a culinary
> Neanderthal. His omelet "creation" looks like a sofa cushion and is
> stuffed with shredded white bread, American cheese squares and bacon
> bits. He also loves Dennison chili and LaChoy chow mein. I'd blame it
> on being a military brat and living on the dregs of the commissary
> order toward the end of the month, but I'm a military brat, too, and
> would have to be literally starving to death to eat that stuff

LOL - you know what they say about opposites and attraction, I see
food is yours!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Marty wrote:
>
>> After spending hundreds of dollars at the new TJs here, I may have found
>> five items I would go back to buy, plus the cheap wine. I also found a
>> whole
>> lot of ho hum marginal stuff and a number of things that totally sucked
>> eggs.

> Trader Joe's no longer carries some of the items I used to really enjoy
> from them. They used to sell a Cuban simmer sauce which was really
> outstanding. They used to sell a brand of white chocolate
> (Swartenbroekx? Something like that) which I really liked because unlike
> most other white chocolates out there, it wasn't waxy.
>
> Now I go there for candied ginger, cashews, and some dried fruit. If a
> particular wine, beer, or cider catches my eye I might buy that too. But
> those trips are few and far between; the merchandise doesn't usually
> justify the trip.
>
> Bob

I mostly go there for dried fruit and nuts. The way the products
come and go is quite annoying. Oh! Speaking of gone, they had a
great cranberry-goat cheese log for the holidays.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 23:40:01 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:

Trader Joe's
> I mostly go there for dried fruit and nuts. The way the products
> come and go is quite annoying.

There's an element of Trader Joe's that just doesn't "get it" and
it's why Trader Joe's has turned into the boring (yes, boring) store
you can count on. Sure they cycle products in and out, but they do it
to answer customer demand not exclusively to **** you off.

> Oh! Speaking of gone, they had a
> great cranberry-goat cheese log for the holidays.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> There's an element of Trader Joe's that just doesn't "get it" and
> it's why Trader Joe's has turned into the boring (yes, boring) store
> you can count on. Sure they cycle products in and out, but they do it
> to answer customer demand not exclusively to **** you off.

That's not true. They have discontinued very popular products. I
read a lot about this a long time ago. BUT, yes, I used to look
for interesting things, and now I don't bother.
--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 23:08:19 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > There's an element of Trader Joe's that just doesn't "get it" and
> > it's why Trader Joe's has turned into the boring (yes, boring) store
> > you can count on. Sure they cycle products in and out, but they do it
> > to answer customer demand not exclusively to **** you off.

> That's not true. They have discontinued very popular products. I
> read a lot about this a long time ago. BUT, yes, I used to look
> for interesting things, and now I don't bother.

I know items come and go from our TJ's shelves due to the demand for
the product in that particular store. Maybe the items you're talking
about didn't conform to TJ's standards and soon, you may not be seeing
even more products that you're used to seeing.
<http://www.alternet.org/newsandviews/article/778484/finally!_trader_joe's_signs_on_to_fair_food_agreem ent_for_farm_workers/>