Posted to rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.vietnamese

Default Why do Vietnamese want porcupines?

According to this article, American porcupines are being
shipped to Vietnam for human consumption.

http://articles.philly.com/2012-01-2...s-black-market

I'm wondering why do Vietnamese want porcupines?
Is it regarded as a gourmet meat? Or is it a form
of folk medicine?

I've heard that dog meat is eaten in Korea and China
because it's regarded as a sort of "male performance"
folk medicine, not because of its culinary qualities.

If the Vietnamese consider porcupine to be a gourmet
meat, how do they prepare it? What parts are used?
Quick cooking or slow cooking? By itself or with rice?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 02 Feb 2012 12:27:50 -0800, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

>According to this article, American porcupines are being
>shipped to Vietnam for human consumption.
>
>http://articles.philly.com/2012-01-2...s-black-market
>
>I'm wondering why do Vietnamese want porcupines?
>Is it regarded as a gourmet meat? Or is it a form
>of folk medicine?
>
>I've heard that dog meat is eaten in Korea and China
>because it's regarded as a sort of "male performance"
>folk medicine, not because of its culinary qualities.
>
>If the Vietnamese consider porcupine to be a gourmet
>meat, how do they prepare it? What parts are used?
>Quick cooking or slow cooking? By itself or with rice?

my husband suggests creating a market for our feral pigs overseas.
I think that is an excellent idea.
Janet us
Posted to rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.vietnamese

Mark Thorson > wrote:

>According to this article, American porcupines are being
>shipped to Vietnam for human consumption.
>
>http://articles.philly.com/2012-01-2...s-black-market

You'se guys in PA can come north or east to NY & hunt them anytime-
any number. They are one of the few unprotected species in NY.

I wouldn't want them hunted out, I guess-- but a dozen porkies can
destroy a forest.

>I'm wondering why do Vietnamese want porcupines?
>Is it regarded as a gourmet meat? Or is it a form
>of folk medicine?

I don't know about the VNese- but I've eaten porcupine and it is
similar to pork. In the area where I used to run across them some
preferred evergreens and some liked the beech trees in the area. You
could taste the 'piney' ones.

>I've heard that dog meat is eaten in Korea and China
>because it's regarded as a sort of "male performance"
>folk medicine, not because of its culinary qualities.

The dog I ate in Vietnam was cooked because it was available and it
tasted good. I never heard of it being any kind of 'enhancer'.

>If the Vietnamese consider porcupine to be a gourmet
>meat, how do they prepare it? What parts are used?
>Quick cooking or slow cooking? By itself or with rice?

Again-- I am not Vietnamese-- but I just skinned them and either
roasted, braised, or grilled the parts. There was a lot of fat
on some & the fat had a gamey odor and flavor but was easily trimmed.
I could see how some folks might have liked the fat, but I didn't.
[this was all 30-40 years ago-- but if I ran across a porcupine today
I might give it another try]

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.vietnamese

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> According to this article, American porcupines are being
> shipped to Vietnam for human consumption.
>
> http://articles.philly.com/2012-01-2...s-black-market
>
> I'm wondering why do Vietnamese want porcupines?
> Is it regarded as a gourmet meat? Or is it a form

Because they are disgusting vile idiots that think eating meats of certain
animals will give them prowess in something-or-other.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.vietnamese

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 02 Feb 2012 12:27:50 -0800, Mark Thorson wrote:
>
>> According to this article, American porcupines are being
>> shipped to Vietnam for human consumption.

> I have this uncanny knack for determining who wrote a post just by
> looking at the subject and before I see the author. Sometimes a name
> a name just pops in my head.
>
> And it didn't fail here. Nor with the Ugg Boot post. I don't picture
> you as a pet person, but if I had to guess at one for you I'd have to
> guess snake. Low maintenance, no personality.

And a pet snakes only goal is to escape , and kill you if possible.

vietnamese pho kauai Asian Cooking 2 28-05-2008 09:38 PM
Vietnamese anyone? Peter Huebner General Cooking 6 12-11-2005 01:20 AM
Vietnamese Tea Scott Dorsey Tea 11 14-06-2005 06:23 AM
Instruction for Vietnamese iced coffee with Vietnamese ground coffee (Cafe Sua Da) coffeelover General Cooking 5 08-06-2005 03:30 AM
Porcupines; T General Cooking 40 08-11-2004 02:02 AM