Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Garam Masala

This spice blend is found in many Indian and S. Asian dishes. I've also
used it with some Algerian and Moroccan recipes.

Garam Masala - an Indian recipe
Some variants include fennel seeds and mace. You can add small amounts to
this recipe. To get the exact taste you want, make the basic recipe and
then test small amounts with added ground fennel and/or mace. Some
mixtures also include white peppercorns.

4 Tbsp coriander seeds
1 Tbsp black peppercorns
1 Tbsp cumin seeds
1 1/2 tsp black cumin seeds
1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
3/4 tsp black cardamom (3 or 4 large pods)
3/4 tsp cloves
2 one-inch sticks cinnamon
3/4 tsp crushed bay leaves
1/4 tsp nutmeg

Break up the stick cinnamon into smaller pieces.
In a heavy skillet on medium heat, gently roast all the ingredients but the
ginger and nutmeg. They will turn a few shades darker. Stir occasionally.
Once the spices are roasted, remove from heat.
Allow to cool.
Remove the cardamom seeds from the pods and return them to the mixture.
Add the ground ginger and nutmeg.
Grind to a fine powder.
Store in a cool, dark place in an air-tight container.

--
Mike
http://www.facebook.com/groups/mikes.place.bar/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Garam Masala

"Mike Muth" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> This spice blend is found in many Indian and S. Asian dishes. I've also
> used it with some Algerian and Moroccan recipes.

Every cook seems to have his own. What you need to try is Ranee's Saudi
Harissa, which is righteous to the nth.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/2/2012 1:18 PM, Mike Muth wrote:
> This spice blend is found in many Indian and S. Asian dishes. I've also
> used it with some Algerian and Moroccan recipes.
>
> Garam Masala - an Indian recipe
> Some variants include fennel seeds and mace. You can add small amounts to
> this recipe. To get the exact taste you want, make the basic recipe and
> then test small amounts with added ground fennel and/or mace. Some
> mixtures also include white peppercorns.
>
> 4 Tbsp coriander seeds
> 1 Tbsp black peppercorns
> 1 Tbsp cumin seeds
> 1 1/2 tsp black cumin seeds
> 1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
> 3/4 tsp black cardamom (3 or 4 large pods)
> 3/4 tsp cloves
> 2 one-inch sticks cinnamon
> 3/4 tsp crushed bay leaves
> 1/4 tsp nutmeg
>
> Break up the stick cinnamon into smaller pieces.
> In a heavy skillet on medium heat, gently roast all the ingredients but the
> ginger and nutmeg. They will turn a few shades darker. Stir occasionally.
> Once the spices are roasted, remove from heat.
> Allow to cool.
> Remove the cardamom seeds from the pods and return them to the mixture.
> Add the ground ginger and nutmeg.
> Grind to a fine powder.
> Store in a cool, dark place in an air-tight container.

There are certainly many different recipes for Garam Masala. Commercial
versions usually contain Asafoetida (hing). Hing has a pretty foul smell
by itself but incorporates well. It's not the same at all but the effect
is similar to Vietnamese fish sauce, Nuoc Mam. which by itself is the
quintessence of old fish.

--
Jim Silverton

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Giusi" > wrote:

> "Mike Muth" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> This spice blend is found in many Indian and S. Asian dishes. I've also
>> used it with some Algerian and Moroccan recipes.

> Every cook seems to have his own. What you need to try is Ranee's Saudi
> Harissa, which is righteous to the nth.

Okay, I found the recipe on line. It looks a bit spicier than my wife and
I would usually eat. We do spicy foods, but I don't know if it's often
enough to justify making this. I may try this anyway. If nothing else, I
just sent an e-mail about using this recipe in my next book.

--
Mike
http://www.facebook.com/groups/mikes.place.bar/
http://forums.delphiforums.com/mikes_place1/start
My Amazon.com author page: http://tinyurl.com/695lgym
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/2/12 1:18 PM, Mike Muth wrote:
> This spice blend is found in many Indian and S. Asian dishes. I've also
> used it with some Algerian and Moroccan recipes.

Here is an alternative one by a long ago RFC poster Blacksalt-

Ajmer's garam masala....purists take note, this recipe has alot more
cumin and coriander than the Indian cookbooks, but most of the recipes
add more of this. This is my ex MIL's mix. Keep in freezer in glass and
it will last months
2 C whole coriander
1 cup whole cumin
3 inches fat cinnamon
3 heaping teas of whole clove
5 teas. whole black pepper
scant single teas. of ajwain (optional)
7-8 whole green cardamon pods
For a slightly smokey version, use one big black cardamon pod for the
green. For large batchs I use Penzey's cardi seeds...cheaper in bulk.
Grind in a coffe grinder, sieve finely, regrind that which doesn't pass
until all you have left a the tasteless fibre of the coriander.

blacksalt

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mike Muth" > ha scritto nel messaggio
Saudi
>> Harissa, which is righteous to the nth.

> Okay, I found the recipe on line. It looks a bit spicier than my wife and
> I would usually eat. We do spicy foods, but I don't know if it's often
> enough to justify making this. I may try this anyway. If nothing else, I
> just sent an e-mail about using this recipe in my next book.

But you can use hotter or milder chilis and more or less of the harissa.
Umbrians tend to be spice wusses but this harissa has been a hit. It's the
toasting I think.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Giusi" > wrote in news:9p0aonF8b8U1
@mid.individual.net:

> Umbrians tend to be spice wusses

They take umbrage to spices? :-)

--

If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn’t
help the poor, either we’ve got to pretend that Jesus

Stephen Colbert (via videcormeum)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michel Boucher" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> "Giusi" > wrote in > @mid.individual.net:
>
>> Umbrians tend to be spice wusses

> They take umbrage to spices? :-)

If you wish to put it that way, but only the hot ones. Puns are...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba > wrote:

> Here is an alternative one by a long ago RFC poster Blacksalt-

For a fuller rendition of the recipe, consult the rfc cook.book, page
143.

Victor

Garam Masala (Indian Spice Mix) Sigrid Shepard Recipes 0 11-06-2008 06:37 PM
View Garam Masala nobi General Cooking 0 27-05-2007 05:04 PM
[Indian Recipe] Garam Masala Bob Terwilliger General Cooking 7 07-05-2006 10:51 PM
Garam Masala (3) Collection FERGUS FREECYCLE Recipes (moderated) 0 27-03-2005 03:03 AM
Garam Masala (3) Collection FERGUS FREECYCLE Recipes (moderated) 0 27-03-2005 03:03 AM