Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Frying question: Lard? Oil? Margarine?

Found a recipe in Terry Deary's "Horrible Histories: the Gorgeous
Georgians." (For those who don't know, the series, which started in
the 1990s and has maybe six dozen volumes, is aimed at pre-teens and
is U.K.-centered - but not always. Other books are about the ancient
Greeks, Romans, Aztecs, Egyptians, etc.)

The recipe dates from the 18th century or so and consists of
strawberries dipped in a batter and fried. It doesn't say if they're
deep-fried or not - I'm guessing they're not.

Anyway, it says you can substitute margarine for lard if you prefer.
The question is, why margarine and not, say, oil? Not that it matters
much - I just wondered.

Also, what's the benefit of using caster sugar? (This is defined as
"superfine" - not powdered sugar.)

And finally, do Brits use scales every time they measure flour or
sugar?

The ingredients a

450 g strawberries
175 g plain flour
50 g caster sugar
2 tsp. grated nutmeg
2 eggs
225 ml single cream (this is defined, in the U.S., as being halfway
between whipping cream and half-and-half)

It says you're supposed to let the batter stand for two hours before
dipping the strawberries and frying them until golden brown.

Here are the U.S. measurements, as best I can calculate:

1 lb. strawberries
1.25 cups flour
Just over 3 Tbs. sugar
2 tsp. nutmeg
2 eggs
7.65 fluid oz. cream

Lenona.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 23, 3:12*pm, Lenona > wrote:
> Found a recipe in Terry Deary's "Horrible Histories: the Gorgeous
> Georgians." (For those who don't know, the series, which started in
> the 1990s and has maybe six dozen volumes, is aimed at pre-teens and
> is U.K.-centered - but not always. Other books are about the ancient
> Greeks, Romans, Aztecs, Egyptians, etc.)
>
> The recipe dates from the 18th century or so and consists of
> strawberries dipped in a batter and fried. It doesn't say if they're
> deep-fried or not - I'm guessing they're not.
>
> Anyway, it says you can substitute margarine for lard if you prefer.
> The question is, why margarine and not, say, oil? Not that it matters
> much - I just wondered.

Only a moron would use hydrogenated margarines or shortenings in
2012. The correct vegetarian sub for lard is coconut or palm kernel
oil.

> Lenona.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 23, 4:18*pm, Bryan > wrote:

> Only a moron would use hydrogenated margarines or shortenings in
> 2012. *The correct vegetarian sub for lard is coconut or palm kernel
> oil.

I thought the idea was simply that a lot of people from certain
cultures are simply not USED to the idea of using lard - or maybe the
taste. (I've never used it, myself.)

If you're not a vegetarian, what's the problem with margarine?

Lenona.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 23, 4:10*pm, Lenona > wrote:
> On Jan 23, 4:18*pm, Bryan > wrote:
>

> > Only a moron would use hydrogenated margarines or shortenings in
> > 2012. *The correct vegetarian sub for lard is coconut or palm kernel
> > oil.

> I thought the idea was simply that a lot of people from certain
> cultures are simply not USED to the idea of using lard - or maybe the
> taste. (I've never used it, myself.)
>
> If you're not a vegetarian, what's the problem with margarine?
>
> Lenona.

You're new around these parts, eh Lenora? ;-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 23, 5:10*pm, Lenona > wrote:
> On Jan 23, 4:18*pm, Bryan > wrote:
>

> > Only a moron would use hydrogenated margarines or shortenings in
> > 2012. *The correct vegetarian sub for lard is coconut or palm kernel
> > oil.

> I thought the idea was simply that a lot of people from certain
> cultures are simply not USED to the idea of using lard - or maybe the
> taste. (I've never used it, myself.)
>
> If you're not a vegetarian, what's the problem with margarine?
>
> Lenona.

The problem is he's an asshole. Ignore him.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 23, 4:10*pm, Lenona > wrote:
> On Jan 23, 4:18*pm, Bryan > wrote:
>

> > Only a moron would use hydrogenated margarines or shortenings in
> > 2012. *The correct vegetarian sub for lard is coconut or palm kernel
> > oil.

> I thought the idea was simply that a lot of people from certain
> cultures are simply not USED to the idea of using lard - or maybe the
> taste. (I've never used it, myself.)
>
> If you're not a vegetarian, what's the problem with margarine?

Most margarines are made from partially hydrogenated oils, trans fat.
How could you not know that?

> Lenona.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 14:56:37 -0800 (PST), BillyZoom
> wrote:

>On Jan 23, 5:10*pm, Lenona > wrote:
>> On Jan 23, 4:18*pm, Bryan > wrote:
>>

>> > Only a moron would use hydrogenated margarines or shortenings in
>> > 2012. *The correct vegetarian sub for lard is coconut or palm kernel
>> > oil.

>> I thought the idea was simply that a lot of people from certain
>> cultures are simply not USED to the idea of using lard - or maybe the
>> taste. (I've never used it, myself.)
>>
>> If you're not a vegetarian, what's the problem with margarine?
>>
>> Lenona.

>The problem is he's an asshole. Ignore him.

Pot-Kettle-Black?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 23, 4:56*pm, BillyZoom > wrote:
> On Jan 23, 5:10*pm, Lenona > wrote:
>
> > On Jan 23, 4:18*pm, Bryan > wrote:

> > > Only a moron would use hydrogenated margarines or shortenings in
> > > 2012. *The correct vegetarian sub for lard is coconut or palm kernel
> > > oil.

> > I thought the idea was simply that a lot of people from certain
> > cultures are simply not USED to the idea of using lard - or maybe the
> > taste. (I've never used it, myself.)

> > If you're not a vegetarian, what's the problem with margarine?

> > Lenona.

> The problem is he's an asshole. Ignore him.

I hope you have a heart attack and die. Actually, I hope you've
already died by the time I'm writing this.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/23/2012 3:10 PM, Lenona wrote:
> On Jan 23, 4:18 pm, > wrote:
>

>> Only a moron would use hydrogenated margarines or shortenings in
>> 2012. The correct vegetarian sub for lard is coconut or palm kernel
>> oil.

> I thought the idea was simply that a lot of people from certain
> cultures are simply not USED to the idea of using lard - or maybe the
> taste. (I've never used it, myself.)
>
> If you're not a vegetarian, what's the problem with margarine?

The recipe you've cited is from the 1990s, when no one had much of a
problem using margarine or solid shortening. In America in that era,
very few people used lard for frying as it was seen as the ultimate in
blecch, second only to butter in evilness among the health conscious.
That, and few at that time had ever enjoyed the glory of lard utilized
properly.

In my own experience, I would not fry anything batter dipped in
margarine. Margarine can't take the heat. It might work to fry an egg,
but it doesn't have the stuff to set and cook batter and the item inside
the batter without burning and breaking down quite quickly. Shortening
or vegetable oil would do better. Lard would work well, but why bother
to use it to fry up a berry when it is so much better suited to other
things (indeed, I don't think that I would batter then fry a strawberry
to begin with).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 23, 6:33*pm, Pennyaline >
wrote:
> On 1/23/2012 3:10 PM, Lenona wrote:
>
> > On Jan 23, 4:18 pm, > *wrote:

> >> Only a moron would use hydrogenated margarines or shortenings in
> >> 2012. *The correct vegetarian sub for lard is coconut or palm kernel
> >> oil.

> > I thought the idea was simply that a lot of people from certain
> > cultures are simply not USED to the idea of using lard - or maybe the
> > taste. (I've never used it, myself.)

> > If you're not a vegetarian, what's the problem with margarine?

> The recipe you've cited is from the 1990s, when no one had much of a
> problem using margarine or solid shortening. In America in that era,
> very few people used lard for frying as it was seen as the ultimate in
> blecch, second only to butter in evilness among the health conscious.
> That, and few at that time had ever enjoyed the glory of lard utilized
> properly.
>
> In my own experience, I would not fry anything batter dipped in
> margarine. Margarine can't take the heat. It might work to fry an egg,
> but it doesn't have the stuff to set and cook batter and the item inside
> the batter without burning and breaking down quite quickly. Shortening
> or vegetable oil would do better.

But only someone with a turd for a brain would use partially
hydrogenated shortening in 2012.
Clarified butter is far better, and lard better still. Better than
those are palm kernel and coconut oils.
Some shortenings are now made with non-hydrogenated palm oil, but
you're much better off going with palm *kernel* oil, or coconut oil.
If those are too viscous (not to be confused with, "Baby, you're so
vicious"), they can be melted and blended with high oleic oils to
achieve the desired consistency, and meanwhile adding to the
healthfulness.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pennyaline" > wrote in message
> On 1/23/2012 3:10 PM, Lenona wrote:
>> On Jan 23, 4:18 pm, > wrote:
>>

>>> Only a moron would use hydrogenated margarines or shortenings in
>>> 2012. The correct vegetarian sub for lard is coconut or palm kernel
>>> oil.

>> I thought the idea was simply that a lot of people from certain
>> cultures are simply not USED to the idea of using lard - or maybe the
>> taste. (I've never used it, myself.)
>>
>> If you're not a vegetarian, what's the problem with margarine?

> The recipe you've cited is from the 1990s, when no one had much of a
> problem using margarine or solid shortening. In America in that era, very
> few people used lard for frying as it was seen as the ultimate in blecch,
> second only to butter in evilness among the health conscious. That, and
> few at that time had ever enjoyed the glory of lard utilized properly.
>
> In my own experience, I would not fry anything batter dipped in margarine.
> Margarine can't take the heat. It might work to fry an egg, but it doesn't
> have the stuff to set and cook batter and the item inside the batter
> without burning and breaking down quite quickly. Shortening or vegetable
> oil would do better. Lard would work well, but why bother to use it to fry
> up a berry when it is so much better suited to other things (indeed, I
> don't think that I would batter then fry a strawberry to begin with).

Hear hear! Kudos! You hit the nail on the head.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 17:04:16 -0800 (PST), Bryan
> wrote:

>> > If you're not a vegetarian, what's the problem with margarine?

>But only someone with a turd for a brain would use partially
>hydrogenated shortening in 2012.
>--Bryan

I bet you don't have a lot of friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lenona > wrote:
> On Jan 23, 4:18 pm, Bryan > wrote:
>

>> Only a moron would use hydrogenated margarines or shortenings in
>> 2012. The correct vegetarian sub for lard is coconut or palm kernel
>> oil.

> I thought the idea was simply that a lot of people from certain
> cultures are simply not USED to the idea of using lard - or maybe the
> taste. (I've never used it, myself.)
>
> If you're not a vegetarian, what's the problem with margarine?
>
> Lenona.

You can use " I can't believe it's not butter"
Natural ingredients are often better than hydrogenated. Better nutrients
too.
If you don't eat fat, your body will manufacture it anyway.

I'm going to try and figure out how my mother made those thick chewy pie
crusts. Was it lard or crisco?? Flaky pie crusts suck.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 23, 4:12*pm, Lenona > wrote:
> Found a recipe in Terry Deary's "Horrible Histories: the Gorgeous
> Georgians." (For those who don't know, the series, which started in
> the 1990s and has maybe six dozen volumes, is aimed at pre-teens and
> is U.K.-centered - but not always. Other books are about the ancient
> Greeks, Romans, Aztecs, Egyptians, etc.)
>
> The recipe dates from the 18th century or so and consists of
> strawberries dipped in a batter and fried. It doesn't say if they're
> deep-fried or not - I'm guessing they're not.
>
> Anyway, it says you can substitute margarine for lard if you prefer.
> The question is, why margarine and not, say, oil? Not that it matters
> much - I just wondered.
>
> Also, what's the benefit of using caster sugar? (This is defined as
> "superfine" - not powdered sugar.)
>
> And finally, do Brits use scales every time they measure flour or
> sugar?
>
> The ingredients a
>
> 450 g strawberries
> 175 g plain flour
> 50 g caster sugar
> 2 tsp. grated nutmeg
> 2 eggs
> 225 ml single cream (this is defined, in the U.S., as being halfway
> between whipping cream and half-and-half)
>
> It says you're supposed to let the batter stand for two hours before
> dipping the strawberries and frying them until golden brown.
>
> Here are the U.S. measurements, as best I can calculate:
>
> 1 lb. strawberries
> 1.25 cups flour
> Just over 3 Tbs. sugar
> 2 tsp. nutmeg
> 2 eggs
> 7.65 fluid oz. cream
>
> Lenona.

Interesting, especially as margarine wasn't available until about 1870.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lenona" > wrote in message

> Found a recipe in Terry Deary's "Horrible Histories: the Gorgeous
> Georgians." (For those who don't know, the series, which started in
> the 1990s and has maybe six dozen volumes, is aimed at pre-teens and
> is U.K.-centered - but not always. Other books are about the ancient
> Greeks, Romans, Aztecs, Egyptians, etc.)
>
> The recipe dates from the 18th century or so and consists of
> strawberries dipped in a batter and fried. It doesn't say if they're
> deep-fried or not - I'm guessing they're not.
>
> Anyway, it says you can substitute margarine for lard if you prefer.
> The question is, why margarine and not, say, oil? Not that it matters
> much - I just wondered.
>
> Also, what's the benefit of using caster sugar? (This is defined as
> "superfine" - not powdered sugar.)
>
> And finally, do Brits use scales every time they measure flour or
> sugar?
>
> The ingredients a
>
> 450 g strawberries
> 175 g plain flour
> 50 g caster sugar
> 2 tsp. grated nutmeg
> 2 eggs
> 225 ml single cream (this is defined, in the U.S., as being halfway
> between whipping cream and half-and-half)
>
> It says you're supposed to let the batter stand for two hours before
> dipping the strawberries and frying them until golden brown.
>
> Here are the U.S. measurements, as best I can calculate:
>
> 1 lb. strawberries
> 1.25 cups flour
> Just over 3 Tbs. sugar
> 2 tsp. nutmeg
> 2 eggs
> 7.65 fluid oz. cream
>
> Lenona.

Lard, I think, infuses too much of its own flavor into something as delicate
and dissimilar as a fruit, like strawberry. It's high in the fats you should
avoid. I'm sure it was used in the 19th century. That's all there was. If
you're going to "deep fry", totally immersing it into oil, the best is
peanut oil. I'd consider using sesame or canola oil, probably the latter.
I'd probably end up using Trader Joes extra virgin olive oil and it's use
the smallest cooking container that would hold the oil and the battered
strawberries.

It sounds like an interesting dish,

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 23, 9:25*pm, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> >But only someone with a turd for a brain would use partially
> >hydrogenated shortening in 2012.
> >--Bryan

> I bet you don't have a lot of friends.

I have as many friends as I want. I do not have any desire to be
friends with idiots.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 24, 1:04*am, "Kent" > wrote:
> "Lenona" > wrote in message

> > Found a recipe in Terry Deary's "Horrible Histories: the Gorgeous
> > Georgians." (For those who don't know, the series, which started in
> > the 1990s and has maybe six dozen volumes, is aimed at pre-teens and
> > is U.K.-centered - but not always. Other books are about the ancient
> > Greeks, Romans, Aztecs, Egyptians, etc.)

> > The recipe dates from the 18th century or so and consists of
> > strawberries dipped in a batter and fried. It doesn't say if they're
> > deep-fried or not - I'm guessing they're not.

> > Anyway, it says you can substitute margarine for lard if you prefer.
> > The question is, why margarine and not, say, oil? Not that it matters
> > much - I just wondered.

> > Also, what's the benefit of using caster sugar? (This is defined as
> > "superfine" - not powdered sugar.)

> > And finally, do Brits use scales every time they measure flour or
> > sugar?

> > The ingredients a

> > 450 g strawberries
> > 175 g plain flour
> > 50 g caster sugar
> > 2 tsp. grated nutmeg
> > 2 eggs
> > 225 ml single cream (this is defined, in the U.S., as being halfway
> > between whipping cream and half-and-half)

> > It says you're supposed to let the batter stand for two hours before
> > dipping the strawberries and frying them until golden brown.

> > Here are the U.S. measurements, as best I can calculate:

> > 1 lb. strawberries
> > 1.25 cups flour
> > Just over 3 Tbs. sugar
> > 2 tsp. nutmeg
> > 2 eggs
> > 7.65 fluid oz. cream

> > Lenona.

> Lard, I think, infuses too much of its own flavor into something as delicate
> and dissimilar as a fruit, like strawberry.

That is true.

> It's high in the fats you should avoid.

Do you even *know* what the fatty acid balance of lard is?
Do you have a clue as to which fatty acids "you should avoid"?
Probably not. You're just blowing out your ass like Mr. Kuthe.

> I'm sure it was used in the 19th century. That's all there was. *If
> you're going to "deep fry", totally immersing it into oil, the best is
> peanut oil. I'd consider using sesame or canola oil, probably the latter.

Many folks think canola tastes awful, and imparts just as much flavor
as lard.

> I'd probably end up using Trader Joes extra virgin olive oil and it's use
> the smallest cooking container that would hold the oil and the battered
> strawberries.

EVOO is far more strongly flavored than lard.

> Kent

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 20:37:50 -0500, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>"Pennyaline" > wrote in message
.. .

>>> I thought the idea was simply that a lot of people from certain
>>> cultures are simply not USED to the idea of using lard - or maybe the
>>> taste. (I've never used it, myself.)
>>>
>>> If you're not a vegetarian, what's the problem with margarine?

>> The recipe you've cited is from the 1990s, when no one had much of a
>> problem using margarine or solid shortening. In America in that era, very
>> few people used lard for frying as it was seen as the ultimate in blecch,
>> second only to butter in evilness among the health conscious. That, and
>> few at that time had ever enjoyed the glory of lard utilized properly.
>>
>> In my own experience, I would not fry anything batter dipped in margarine.
>> Margarine can't take the heat. It might work to fry an egg, but it doesn't
>> have the stuff to set and cook batter and the item inside the batter
>> without burning and breaking down quite quickly. Shortening or vegetable
>> oil would do better. Lard would work well, but why bother to use it to fry
>> up a berry when it is so much better suited to other things (indeed, I
>> don't think that I would batter then fry a strawberry to begin with).
>>

>Hear hear! Kudos! You hit the nail on the head.

Not so. Margerine IS vegetable shortening/vegetable oil, and is
better suited than butter for frying. Margerine is exactly the same
as hydrogenated vegetable shortening but contains artificial butter
color/flavor. The only reason that butter works well for frying eggs
is because eggs are typically fried at rather low temperatures (no
browning). Many restos fry eggs in margerine to save money.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 22:25:59 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>>But only someone with a turd for a brain would use partially
>>hydrogenated shortening in 2012.
>>--Bryan

>I bet you don't have a lot of friends.

Bwrrrryan has asshole buddies... and he eats a whole lot more
hydrogenated vegetable shortening than he realizes, probably more than
most because he doesn't do a whole lot of cooking/baking. Even the
most high end commercial kitchens/eateries use the cheapest shortening
they can find... there's a better chance of having foods prepared with
real butter at the local greasy spoons. Small mom n' pop restos don't
buy enough to take advantage of bulk pricing from the wholesalers,
they buy much of their foods at local stupidmarkets and big box
groceries same as the general public, and they typically buy the
"used" meats and other expired products at deep discount, like butter,
margerine, and other dairy. How do you think restos decide what their
specials will be.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/24/2012 6:43 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> Not so. Margerine IS vegetable shortening/vegetable oil, and is
> better suited than butter for frying. Margerine is exactly the same
> as hydrogenated vegetable shortening but contains artificial butter
> color/flavor. The only reason that butter works well for frying eggs
> is because eggs are typically fried at rather low temperatures (no
> browning). Many restos fry eggs in margerine to save money.

What's "not so"? I understand that margarine is predominantly vegetable
oil, but it's the inclusion of milk solids and other additives that make
it unsuitable for deep or shallow frying. When used for those types of
frying, margarine can't take it any more than butter can. And in my
first post to this thread, I'd already said that margarine works for
frying eggs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pennyaline <keyboard-kook@norsk> wrote:
>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>> Not so. Margerine IS vegetable shortening/vegetable oil, and is
>> better suited than butter for frying. Margerine is exactly the same
>> as hydrogenated vegetable shortening but contains artificial butter
>> color/flavor. The only reason that butter works well for frying eggs
>> is because eggs are typically fried at rather low temperatures (no
>> browning). Many restos fry eggs in margerine to save money.

>What's "not so"?

If you didn't so smarmilly delete what I replied to you'd know.

>I understand that margarine is predominantly vegetable
>oil, but it's the inclusion of milk solids and other additives that make
>it unsuitable for deep or shallow frying.

You understand nothing, zero, nada... there is no dairy in margerine.
You are another one who has NEVER cooked anything... you have no
business at a cooking group, or any institution where honesty
counts... stick to emptying bed pans.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pennyaline" > wrote in message
> On 1/24/2012 6:43 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>> Not so. Margerine IS vegetable shortening/vegetable oil, and is
>> better suited than butter for frying. Margerine is exactly the same
>> as hydrogenated vegetable shortening but contains artificial butter
>> color/flavor. The only reason that butter works well for frying eggs
>> is because eggs are typically fried at rather low temperatures (no
>> browning). Many restos fry eggs in margerine to save money.

> What's "not so"? I understand that margarine is predominantly vegetable
> oil, but it's the inclusion of milk solids and other additives that make
> it unsuitable for deep or shallow frying. When used for those types of
> frying, margarine can't take it any more than butter can. And in my first
> post to this thread, I'd already said that margarine works for frying
> eggs.

A Tablespoon of margarine isn't the same as deep frying. I wouldn't use
either one for deep frying. For eggs, sure. I do prefer butter over
margarine, but I rarely fry eggs.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/24/2012 10:00 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Pennyaline<keyboard-kook@norsk> wrote:
>> Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>>> Not so. Margerine IS vegetable shortening/vegetable oil, and is
>>> better suited than butter for frying. Margerine is exactly the same
>>> as hydrogenated vegetable shortening but contains artificial butter
>>> color/flavor. The only reason that butter works well for frying eggs
>>> is because eggs are typically fried at rather low temperatures (no
>>> browning). Many restos fry eggs in margerine to save money.

>> What's "not so"?

> If you didn't so smarmilly delete what I replied to you'd know.

If you hadn't so smarmily avoided answering the question, we'd be done
with this by now.

I quoted what I was responding to in full. What did Jill's post have to
do with your response to what I'd written?

>> I understand that margarine is predominantly vegetable
>> oil, but it's the inclusion of milk solids and other additives that make
>> it unsuitable for deep or shallow frying.

> You understand nothing, zero, nada... there is no dairy in margerine.
> You are another one who has NEVER cooked anything... you have no
> business at a cooking group, or any institution where honesty
> counts... stick to emptying bed pans.

It's correct that many margarines are made with no diary at all. It's
also correct that many others ARE made with milk/whey solids. The one my
family has used for years is made with whey solids and always has been.
If you peruse ingredients lists of the margarine/spreads in the stores,
it doesn't take long to see which have dairy and which do not.

Perhaps you want to run a quick skills review of your own.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/24/2012 10:11 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> "Pennyaline" > wrote in message
>> On 1/24/2012 6:43 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>>> Not so. Margerine IS vegetable shortening/vegetable oil, and is
>>> better suited than butter for frying. Margerine is exactly the same
>>> as hydrogenated vegetable shortening but contains artificial butter
>>> color/flavor. The only reason that butter works well for frying eggs
>>> is because eggs are typically fried at rather low temperatures (no
>>> browning). Many restos fry eggs in margerine to save money.

>> What's "not so"? I understand that margarine is predominantly
>> vegetable oil, but it's the inclusion of milk solids and other
>> additives that make it unsuitable for deep or shallow frying. When
>> used for those types of frying, margarine can't take it any more than
>> butter can. And in my first post to this thread, I'd already said that
>> margarine works for frying eggs.

> A Tablespoon of margarine isn't the same as deep frying. I wouldn't use
> either one for deep frying. For eggs, sure. I do prefer butter over
> margarine, but I rarely fry eggs.

Okay. Who's responding to what, and why?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 24, 12:23*am, gregz > wrote:
> Lenona > wrote:
> > On Jan 23, 4:18 pm, Bryan > wrote:

> >> Only a moron would use hydrogenated margarines or shortenings in
> >> 2012. *The correct vegetarian sub for lard is coconut or palm kernel
> >> oil.

> > I thought the idea was simply that a lot of people from certain
> > cultures are simply not USED to the idea of using lard - or maybe the
> > taste. (I've never used it, myself.)

> > If you're not a vegetarian, what's the problem with margarine?

> > Lenona.

> You can use " I can't believe it's not butter"
> Natural ingredients are often better than hydrogenated. Better nutrients
> too.
> If you don't eat fat, your body will manufacture it anyway.
>
> I'm going to try and figure out how my mother made those thick chewy pie
> crusts. Was it lard or crisco?? Flaky pie crusts suck.

To make flaky pastry, you try to get the butter to lie in sheets
between layers of flour. That;s why you avoid using your hands to work
the dough, cut the shortening in with forks or a pastry blender, and
work on a cool marble board if you have one. For caky pastry, let the
shortening get very soft so you get a flour-and-shortening mud. That's
how some hamentashen are made. Look at some recipes.

Jerry
--
"I view the progress of science as being the slow erosion of the
tendency to dichotomize." Barbara Smuts, U. Mich.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 24, 12:00*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> Pennyaline <keyboard-kook@norsk> wrote:
> >Brooklyn1 wrote:

> >> Not so. *Margerine IS vegetable shortening/vegetable oil, and is
> >> better suited than butter for frying. *Margerine is exactly the same
> >> as hydrogenated vegetable shortening but contains artificial butter
> >> color/flavor. *The only reason that butter works well for frying eggs
> >> is because eggs are typically fried at rather low temperatures (no
> >> browning). *Many restos fry eggs in margerine to save money.

> >What's "not so"?

> If you didn't so smarmilly delete what I replied to you'd know.
>
> >I understand that margarine is predominantly vegetable
> >oil, but it's the inclusion of milk solids and other additives that make
> >it unsuitable for deep or shallow frying.

> You understand nothing, zero, nada... there is no dairy in margerine.
> You are another one who has NEVER cooked anything... you have no
> business at a cooking group, or any institution where honesty
> counts... stick to emptying bed pans.

Ignorance is curable, but stupidity is not. I would have thought that
you would have learned by now not to shoot your mouth of without
checking first. Most margarines contain whey and sometimes other dairy
derivatives. Fleishman's and a few other brands are dairy-free, making
them suitable butter substitutes for kosher meat meals.

Jerry
--
"I view the progress of science as being the slow erosion of the
tendency to dichotomize." Barbara Smuts, U. Mich.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 23, 7:24*pm, Bryan > wrote:
> On Jan 23, 4:56*pm, BillyZoom > wrote:

> > > I thought the idea was simply that a lot of people from certain
> > > cultures are simply not USED to the idea of using lard - or maybe the
> > > taste. (I've never used it, myself.)

> > > If you're not a vegetarian, what's the problem with margarine?

> > > Lenona.

> > The problem is he's an asshole. Ignore him.

> I hope you have a heart attack and die. *Actually, I hope you've
> already died by the time I'm writing this.
>
> --Bryan- Hide quoted text -

You're the one who binged himself into needing to worry about this,
fatbody. You're one of those problem eaters who has to either be
compulsive about it or be a tub of goo. You don't understand
moderation.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lenona wrote:

> Anyway, it says you can substitute margarine for lard if you prefer.
> The question is, why margarine and not, say, oil?

Different oils have different smoke points so the frying temperature is
different. Different oils have different flavor profiles so they have
different effects on the final product.

In recent decades we have learned that transfats are extremely unheathly
but before that there was a belief that saturated fats were extremely
unhealthy (true for low fatters, false for low carbers or low calorie
folks). When margarine was introduced it was sincerely believed to be
beneficial. The belief was incorrect but there remain plenty of uses
for margarine if you want to ignore the healthy effects.

Around the 1970s I kept reading that mushrooms sauteed in margarine were
better than mushrooms sauteed in butter, not because of the flavor
profile issue but because of the smoke point issue. Margarine can be
used hotter than butter. I tried them side by side and ended up
agreeing, but I am in the minority that prefers the flavor of margarine
to the flavor of butter. Use just barely enough of either and the
flavor effect is minimal and the temperature is the larger effect.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 24, 2:48*pm, BillyZoom > wrote:
> On Jan 23, 7:24*pm, Bryan > wrote:

> > > The problem is he's an asshole. Ignore him.

> > I hope you have a heart attack and die. *Actually, I hope you've
> > already died by the time I'm writing this.

> > --Bryan- Hide quoted text -

> You're the one who binged himself into needing to worry about this,
> fatbody. You're one of those problem eaters who has to either be
> compulsive about it or be a tub of goo. You don't understand
> moderation.

It is true that a lack of moderation caused the problem, but
moderation will not solve it.
I'm disappointed that you're still alive.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 24, 3:14*pm, Bryan > wrote:
> On Jan 24, 2:48*pm, BillyZoom > wrote:

> > > I hope you have a heart attack and die. *Actually, I hope you've
> > > already died by the time I'm writing this.

> > > --Bryan- Hide quoted text -

> > You're the one who binged himself into needing to worry about this,
> > fatbody. You're one of those problem eaters who has to either be
> > compulsive about it or be a tub of goo. You don't understand
> > moderation.

> It is true that a lack of moderation caused the problem, but
> moderation will not solve it.
> I'm disappointed that you're still alive.
>
> --Bryan

That is indeed disappointing.

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bryan" > wrote in message
On Jan 24, 1:04 am, "Kent" > wrote:
> "Lenona" > wrote in message

>> > Found a recipe in Terry Deary's "Horrible Histories: the Gorgeous

> > Georgians." (For those who don't know, the series, which started in
> > the 1990s and has maybe six dozen volumes, is aimed at pre-teens and
> > is U.K.-centered - but not always. Other books are about the ancient
> > Greeks, Romans, Aztecs, Egyptians, etc.)

> > The recipe dates from the 18th century or so and consists of
> > strawberries dipped in a batter and fried. It doesn't say if they're
> > deep-fried or not - I'm guessing they're not.

> > Anyway, it says you can substitute margarine for lard if you prefer.
> > The question is, why margarine and not, say, oil? Not that it matters
> > much - I just wondered.

> > Also, what's the benefit of using caster sugar? (This is defined as
> > "superfine" - not powdered sugar.)

> > And finally, do Brits use scales every time they measure flour or
> > sugar?

> > The ingredients a

> > 450 g strawberries
> > 175 g plain flour
> > 50 g caster sugar
> > 2 tsp. grated nutmeg
> > 2 eggs
> > 225 ml single cream (this is defined, in the U.S., as being halfway
> > between whipping cream and half-and-half)

> > It says you're supposed to let the batter stand for two hours before
> > dipping the strawberries and frying them until golden brown.

> > Here are the U.S. measurements, as best I can calculate:

> > 1 lb. strawberries
> > 1.25 cups flour
> > Just over 3 Tbs. sugar
> > 2 tsp. nutmeg
> > 2 eggs
> > 7.65 fluid oz. cream

> > Lenona.

> Lard, I think, infuses too much of its own flavor into something as
> delicate
> and dissimilar as a fruit, like strawberry.

That is true.

> It's high in the fats you should avoid.

Do you even *know* what the fatty acid balance of lard is?
Do you have a clue as to which fatty acids "you should avoid"?
Probably not. You're just blowing out your ass like Mr. Kuthe.

> I'm sure it was used in the 19th century. That's all there was. If
> you're going to "deep fry", totally immersing it into oil, the best is
> peanut oil. I'd consider using sesame or canola oil, probably the latter.

Many folks think canola tastes awful, and imparts just as much flavor
as lard.

> I'd probably end up using Trader Joes extra virgin olive oil and it's use
> the smallest cooking container that would hold the oil and the battered
> strawberries.

EVOO is far more strongly flavored than lard.

> Kent

--Bryan

You're being a dork*.
I think you're full of BS about canola and EVOO.
Do I know the chemical compounds that make up lard? No
Is it easy to find on the internet? Yes

Lard Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz)
Energy 3,765.6 kJ (900.0 kcal)
Carbohydrates 0 g
Fat 100 g
saturated 39 g
monounsaturated 45 g
polyunsaturated 11 g
Protein 0 g
Cholesterol 95 mg
Zinc 0.1 mg
Selenium 0.2 mg

*dork = whale penis

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 24, 4:14*pm, Bryan > wrote:
> On Jan 24, 2:48*pm, BillyZoom > wrote:

> > > I hope you have a heart attack and die. *Actually, I hope you've
> > > already died by the time I'm writing this.

> > > --Bryan- Hide quoted text -

> > You're the one who binged himself into needing to worry about this,
> > fatbody. You're one of those problem eaters who has to either be
> > compulsive about it or be a tub of goo. You don't understand
> > moderation.

> It is true that a lack of moderation caused the problem, but
> moderation will not solve it.
> I'm disappointed that you're still alive.
>
> --Bryan- Hide quoted text -

My point, fatso, is that some of the rest of us ALWAYS practiced
moderation. We don't need or appreciate your nutrition lessons. YOU
have to be careful of those things because YOU ****ed up. Go inflict
yourself on your family or something. Nobody here wants to hear about
it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 24, 3:41*pm, BillyZoom > wrote:
> On Jan 24, 4:14*pm, Bryan > wrote:

> > > You're the one who binged himself into needing to worry about this,
> > > fatbody. You're one of those problem eaters who has to either be
> > > compulsive about it or be a tub of goo. You don't understand
> > > moderation.

> > It is true that a lack of moderation caused the problem, but
> > moderation will not solve it.
> > I'm disappointed that you're still alive.

> > --Bryan- Hide quoted text -

> My point, fatso, is that some of the rest of us ALWAYS practiced
> moderation. We don't need or appreciate your nutrition lessons. YOU
> have to be careful of those things because YOU ****ed up. Go inflict
> yourself on your family or something. Nobody here wants to hear about
> it.

Since when do YOU worry about what people want to hear about?

I have never seen anything but shit from you on this newsgroup. You
seem a total stream of fetid fecal material here. I'm sore none wants
THAT, save for the scatophiles. Two girls, one cup and BillyZoom
oozing!!

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 24, 4:47*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Jan 24, 3:41*pm, BillyZoom > wrote:

> > > It is true that a lack of moderation caused the problem, but
> > > moderation will not solve it.
> > > I'm disappointed that you're still alive.

> > > --Bryan- Hide quoted text -

> > My point, fatso, is that some of the rest of us ALWAYS practiced
> > moderation. We don't need or appreciate your nutrition lessons. YOU
> > have to be careful of those things because YOU ****ed up. Go inflict
> > yourself on your family or something. Nobody here wants to hear about
> > it.

> Since when do YOU worry about what people want to hear about?
>
> I have never seen anything but shit from you on this newsgroup. You
> seem a total stream of fetid fecal material here. I'm sore none wants
> THAT, save for the scatophiles. Two girls, one cup and BillyZoom
> oozing!!
>
> John Kuthe...- Hide quoted text -

Go away, Kuthe. Adults are talking.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 24, 12:40*am, Helpful person > wrote:

> Interesting, especially as margarine wasn't available until about 1870.

Yes, Terry Deary did mention that they didn't have it in the Georgian
era. He was simply saying that it was OK to use that instead of lard.

There are recipes in the other books as well - including the two books
on ancient Romans.

More info, if you like:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horribl...book_series%29

Lenona.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 24, 4:05*pm, BillyZoom > wrote:
> On Jan 24, 4:47*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:

> > > My point, fatso, is that some of the rest of us ALWAYS practiced
> > > moderation. We don't need or appreciate your nutrition lessons. YOU
> > > have to be careful of those things because YOU ****ed up. Go inflict
> > > yourself on your family or something. Nobody here wants to hear about
> > > it.

> > Since when do YOU worry about what people want to hear about?

> > I have never seen anything but shit from you on this newsgroup. You
> > seem a total stream of fetid fecal material here. I'm sore none wants
> > THAT, save for the scatophiles. Two girls, one cup and BillyZoom
> > oozing!!

> > John Kuthe...- Hide quoted text -

> Go away, Kuthe. Adults are talking.

Clever BillyZoom. Almost as clever as stealing lines from Full Metal
Jacket.

Have you ever had an original thought in those few functional neurons
you call a brain?

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 10:29:34 -0700, Pennyaline
> wrote:

>On 1/24/2012 10:00 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> Pennyaline<keyboard-kook@norsk> wrote:

>>> What's "not so"?

>> If you didn't so smarmilly delete what I replied to you'd know.

>If you hadn't so smarmily avoided answering the question, we'd be done
>with this by now.

I did answer, politely and correctly, it's that paragraph right up
there. I'm surprised you didn't delete that too... you'd see it if
you'd lift your head off that patient's penis you're sucking.

>What did Jill's post have to do with your response to what I'd written?

Don't ask me, I've no idea, I'm not in charge of Jill nor am I ****ing
her, why don't you ask Jill if you want her.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 23, 11:40*pm, Helpful person > wrote:
> On Jan 23, 4:12*pm, Lenona > wrote:
>

> > Found a recipe in Terry Deary's "Horrible Histories: the Gorgeous
> > Georgians." (For those who don't know, the series, which started in
> > the 1990s and has maybe six dozen volumes, is aimed at pre-teens and
> > is U.K.-centered - but not always. Other books are about the ancient
> > Greeks, Romans, Aztecs, Egyptians, etc.)

> > The recipe dates from the 18th century or so and consists of
> > strawberries dipped in a batter and fried. It doesn't say if they're
> > deep-fried or not - I'm guessing they're not.

> > Anyway, it says you can substitute margarine for lard if you prefer.
> > The question is, why margarine and not, say, oil? Not that it matters
> > much - I just wondered.

> > Also, what's the benefit of using caster sugar? (This is defined as
> > "superfine" - not powdered sugar.)

> > And finally, do Brits use scales every time they measure flour or
> > sugar?

> > The ingredients a

> > 450 g strawberries
> > 175 g plain flour
> > 50 g caster sugar
> > 2 tsp. grated nutmeg
> > 2 eggs
> > 225 ml single cream (this is defined, in the U.S., as being halfway
> > between whipping cream and half-and-half)

> > It says you're supposed to let the batter stand for two hours before
> > dipping the strawberries and frying them until golden brown.

> > Here are the U.S. measurements, as best I can calculate:

> > 1 lb. strawberries
> > 1.25 cups flour
> > Just over 3 Tbs. sugar
> > 2 tsp. nutmeg
> > 2 eggs
> > 7.65 fluid oz. cream

> > Lenona.

> Interesting, especially as margarine wasn't available until about 1870.

People call the 1800s "eighteenth century" instead of 19th century
because they don't bother to think. It should be obvious, since the
1900s were called the 20th century, but extrapolating from one to the
other is too complicated or too much trouble for simple minds.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jerky Avins wrote:

>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> Pennyaline <keyboard-kook@norsk> wrote:

>> >What's "not so"?

>> If you didn't so smarmilly delete what I replied to you'd know.
>>
>> >I understand that margarine is predominantly vegetable
>> >oil, but it's the inclusion of milk solids and other additives that make
>> >it unsuitable for deep or shallow frying.

>> You understand nothing, zero, nada... there is no dairy in margerine.
>> You are another one who has NEVER cooked anything... you have no
>> business at a cooking group, or any institution where honesty
>> counts... stick to emptying bed pans.

>Ignorance is curable, but stupidity is not. I would have thought that
>you would have learned by now not to shoot your mouth of without
>checking first. Most margarines contain whey and sometimes other dairy
>derivatives. Fleishman's and a few other brands are dairy-free, making
>them suitable butter substitutes for kosher meat meals.
>
>Jerry

You're a ****ing pinheaded imbecile... I've never seen a margerine
that ain't pareve... you're yet another keyboard kook who has never
cooked anything, get your filthy faggot ass outta here you ****ing
fraud. At least 90% of today's rfc'ers have never cooked anything.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 24, 6:29*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> Jerky Avins wrote:
> >Brooklyn1 wrote:

> >> If you didn't so smarmilly delete what I replied to you'd know.

> >> You understand nothing, zero, nada... there is no dairy in margerine.
> >> You are another one who has NEVER cooked anything... you have no
> >> business at a cooking group, or any institution where honesty
> >> counts... stick to emptying bed pans.

> >Ignorance is curable, but stupidity is not. I would have thought that
> >you would have learned by now not to shoot your mouth of without
> >checking first. Most margarines contain whey and sometimes other dairy
> >derivatives. Fleishman's and a few other brands are dairy-free, making
> >them suitable butter substitutes for kosher meat meals.

> >Jerry

> You're a ****ing pinheaded imbecile... I've never seen a margerine
> that ain't pareve... you're yet another keyboard kook who has never
> cooked anything, get your filthy faggot ass outta here you ****ing
> fraud. *At least 90% of today's rfc'ers have never cooked anything.

Some margarines have dairy solids, and are not pareve. I know that's
stupid, but it's true.
Your obsession with homosexuality has most of us believing that you
are the Larry Craig of r.f.c.

--Bryan