Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Orange-Lemon Olive Oil Cake with Rosemary

I baked a cake yesterday and let the flavors develop overnight. The
recipe called for boiling a whole orange and a whole lemon, but I
roasted them in foil because I wanted a deeper citrus flavor. I also
added a tablespoon of chopped fresh rosemary to the batter.... because
I like rosemary with lemon and orange olive oil cakes.

Oh, man - this is my type of cake: dense and intense. All it needs is
a dollop of whipped cream on the side... and a cup of coffee or tea.
It's going into the freezer and coming out for the playoff game this
weekend.

Orange Lemon Cake
http://www.notonlypizza.com/2010/06/...e-lemon-cake//

Ingredients:

1 medium organic orange
1 organic lemon
6 oz. raw peeled almonds (sf used almond meal from Trader Joe's)
1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1 Tbs. aluminum free baking powder (sf used what was on hand)
4 extra large eggs
½ tsp. sea salt
1 ½ cups raw cane sugar, granulated white sugar is also fine
2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil

powdered sugar for decoration

--

Tell congress not to censor the web. Add your voice here.
https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:

>Orange Lemon Cake
>http://www.notonlypizza.com/2010/06/...e-lemon-cake//
>
>Ingredients:
>1 medium organic orange
>1 organic lemon
>6 oz. raw peeled almonds (sf used almond meal from Trader Joe's)
>1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
>1 Tbs. aluminum free baking powder (sf used what was on hand)
>4 extra large eggs
>½ tsp. sea salt
>1 ½ cups raw cane sugar, granulated white sugar is also fine
>2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
>
>powdered sugar for decoration

WTF is the point in stipulating organic for the citrus but not for all
the other ingredients??? And I bet sf doesn't douche with organic sea
salt. LOL-LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 18, 2:08*pm, sf > wrote:
> Orange Lemon Cakehttp://www.notonlypizza.com/2010/06/14/orange-lemon-cake//
>
> Ingredients:
>
> 1 medium organic orange
> 1 organic lemon

I have a lemon and an orange tree, I have no need to, and do not use
pesticides anywhere. So, are my lemons and oranges organic?
....PickyQuestions
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote in news:nkaeh7l5iefbue0fsgpu9tthi02ntte3hr@
4ax.com:

> I baked a cake yesterday and let the flavors develop overnight. The
> recipe called for boiling a whole orange and a whole lemon, but I
> roasted them in foil because I wanted a deeper citrus flavor. I also
> added a tablespoon of chopped fresh rosemary to the batter.... because
> I like rosemary with lemon and orange olive oil cakes.
>
> Oh, man - this is my type of cake: dense and intense. All it needs is
> a dollop of whipped cream on the side... and a cup of coffee or tea.
> It's going into the freezer and coming out for the playoff game this
> weekend.

Even though I probably can't eat it, that sounds *great*!!

Might have to make it for the SO and others to enjoy on Australia Day
(26th)..... and serve with plenty of whipped cream :-)

> Orange Lemon Cake
> http://www.notonlypizza.com/2010/06/...e-lemon-cake//
>
> Ingredients:
>
> 1 medium organic orange
> 1 organic lemon
> 6 oz. raw peeled almonds (sf used almond meal from Trader Joe's)
> 1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
> 1 Tbs. aluminum free baking powder (sf used what was on hand)
> 4 extra large eggs
> ½ tsp. sea salt
> 1 ½ cups raw cane sugar, granulated white sugar is also fine
> 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
>
> powdered sugar for decoration

(I'll finish it off for you..............)

Preparation:

Wash the lemon and orange well, put them in a pan and cover with water.
Don’t worry if the fruit will float it’s perfectly normal.
Cook them over medium-high heat until the water starts boiling, then
reduce the heat and let the citrus simmer for 30 minutes. Drain and let
them cool.

In the meantime preheat the oven to 325°F. Spread the almonds on a
baking sheet, and bake until they look golden brown and smell toasty,
about 10 to 15 minutes (15? in my oven). They really have to be toasted
otherwise the cake won’t taste right. Set them aside to cool.
When the almonds are completely cool, grind them in a food processor
using the pulse function until they reach a sandy consistency. Set
aside.

Heat up the oven to 350°F, and grease with the olive oil a 9-inch round
springform pan.

When the citrus is cool, cut the orange in half and discard the seeds
then cut the lemon in 2 parts, scoop out and discard its pulp and seeds.
Cut the orange (peel and pulp) and the lemon rind in big chunks, put
them in the food processor and grind them until you almost reach a
coarse paste consistency.

Beat the eggs with salt until foamy and light in color then gradually
add the sugar. Whisk in the flour mixture.

Add the citrus paste, almonds, and olive oil, and beat at low speed
until well combined but don’t overwork the batter.
Pour the cake batter into the springform pan, and bake for 50? to 1 hour
depending on the oven, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes
out clean.

Cool the cake in its pan and then remove the rind. Sprinkle the cake
with powdered sugar before serving.

Notes:
Let sit the cake for few hours before serving. It tastes even better the
next day. To keep it soft wrap it with plastic wrap and keep it at room
temperature.

Peter
Tasmania
Australia
Posted to rec.food.cooking

JeanineAlyse wrote:

> I have a lemon and an orange tree, I have no need to, and do not use
> pesticides anywhere. So, are my lemons and oranges organic?
> ...PickyQuestions

Yes....your lemons and oranges qualify as organic.
You're still going to die someday though.

Gary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 15:42:23 -0800 (PST), JeanineAlyse
> wrote:

> On Jan 18, 2:08*pm, sf > wrote:
> > Orange Lemon Cakehttp://www.notonlypizza.com/2010/06/14/orange-lemon-cake//
> >
> > Ingredients:
> >
> > 1 medium organic orange
> > 1 organic lemon

> I have a lemon and an orange tree, I have no need to, and do not use
> pesticides anywhere. So, are my lemons and oranges organic?
> ...PickyQuestions

As far as I know, yes.

--

Tell congress not to censor the web. Add your voice here.
https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 23:46:48 +0000 (UTC), "I'm back on the laptop"
> wrote:

> sf > wrote in news:nkaeh7l5iefbue0fsgpu9tthi02ntte3hr@
> 4ax.com:
>

> > I baked a cake yesterday and let the flavors develop overnight. The
> > recipe called for boiling a whole orange and a whole lemon, but I
> > roasted them in foil because I wanted a deeper citrus flavor. I also
> > added a tablespoon of chopped fresh rosemary to the batter.... because
> > I like rosemary with lemon and orange olive oil cakes.
> >
> > Oh, man - this is my type of cake: dense and intense. All it needs is
> > a dollop of whipped cream on the side... and a cup of coffee or tea.
> > It's going into the freezer and coming out for the playoff game this
> > weekend.

> Even though I probably can't eat it, that sounds *great*!!
>
> Might have to make it for the SO and others to enjoy on Australia Day
> (26th)..... and serve with plenty of whipped cream :-)

Happy Australia Day and enjoy! I'm using 2T of chopped rosemary next
time, IMO one wasn't enough. Also, I browned the nuts in 5 minute
increments. 5 minutes and stir. 10 minutes was enough.

`````````````````````````````````

--

Tell congress not to censor the web. Add your voice here.
https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote in
:

> On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 23:46:48 +0000 (UTC), "I'm back on the laptop"
> > wrote:
>
>> sf > wrote in news:nkaeh7l5iefbue0fsgpu9tthi02ntte3hr@
>> 4ax.com:
>>

>> > I baked a cake yesterday and let the flavors develop overnight.
>> > The recipe called for boiling a whole orange and a whole lemon, but
>> > I roasted them in foil because I wanted a deeper citrus flavor. I
>> > also added a tablespoon of chopped fresh rosemary to the batter....
>> > because I like rosemary with lemon and orange olive oil cakes.
>> >
>> > Oh, man - this is my type of cake: dense and intense. All it needs
>> > is a dollop of whipped cream on the side... and a cup of coffee or
>> > tea. It's going into the freezer and coming out for the playoff
>> > game this weekend.

>> Even though I probably can't eat it, that sounds *great*!!
>>
>> Might have to make it for the SO and others to enjoy on Australia Day
>> (26th)..... and serve with plenty of whipped cream :-)
>>

> Happy Australia Day and enjoy!

Thanks, will do. I'm holding a BBQ for about 20 people, and we're going
to have a cricket match as well ..... along with plenty of cold
refreshing beverages :-)

> I'm using 2T of chopped rosemary next
> time, IMO one wasn't enough.

OK, will give it a try, might mix in 1 to start with and see what the
smell is like.

> Also, I browned the nuts in 5 minute
> increments. 5 minutes and stir. 10 minutes was enough.

????? I thought you used almond meal? Or was that just this time?

As for browning them in the oven, I'd probably brown them off in a
frypan. I roast all my nuts (ie, pine, almond, hazelnuts etc) on the
stove in a frypan..... a lot easier to see the stage they are at and be
able to whip them off when they are done just right.

> `````````````````````````````````
>> >
>> > Orange Lemon Cake
>> > http://www.notonlypizza.com/2010/06/...e-lemon-cake//
>> >
>> > Ingredients:
>> >
>> > 1 medium organic orange
>> > 1 organic lemon
>> > 6 oz. raw peeled almonds (sf used almond meal from Trader Joe's)
>> > 1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
>> > 1 Tbs. aluminum free baking powder (sf used what was on hand)
>> > 4 extra large eggs
>> > ½ tsp. sea salt
>> > 1 ½ cups raw cane sugar, granulated white sugar is also fine
>> > 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
>> >
>> > powdered sugar for decoration
>> >

>> (I'll finish it off for you..............)
>>
>> Preparation:
>>
>> Wash the lemon and orange well, put them in a pan and cover with
>> water. Don’t worry if the fruit will float it’s perfectly normal.
>> Cook them over medium-high heat until the water starts boiling, then
>> reduce the heat and let the citrus simmer for 30 minutes. Drain and
>> let them cool.
>>
>> In the meantime preheat the oven to 325°F. Spread the almonds on a
>> baking sheet, and bake until they look golden brown and smell toasty,
>> about 10 to 15 minutes (15? in my oven). They really have to be
>> toasted otherwise the cake won’t taste right. Set them aside to cool.
>> When the almonds are completely cool, grind them in a food processor
>> using the pulse function until they reach a sandy consistency. Set
>> aside.
>>
>> Heat up the oven to 350°F, and grease with the olive oil a 9-inch
>> round springform pan.
>>
>> When the citrus is cool, cut the orange in half and discard the seeds
>> then cut the lemon in 2 parts, scoop out and discard its pulp and
>> seeds. Cut the orange (peel and pulp) and the lemon rind in big
>> chunks, put them in the food processor and grind them until you
>> almost reach a coarse paste consistency.
>>
>> Beat the eggs with salt until foamy and light in color then gradually
>> add the sugar. Whisk in the flour mixture.
>>
>> Add the citrus paste, almonds, and olive oil, and beat at low speed
>> until well combined but don’t overwork the batter.
>> Pour the cake batter into the springform pan, and bake for 50? to 1
>> hour depending on the oven, or until a toothpick inserted in the
>> center comes out clean.
>>
>> Cool the cake in its pan and then remove the rind. Sprinkle the cake
>> with powdered sugar before serving.
>>
>> Notes:
>> Let sit the cake for few hours before serving. It tastes even better
>> the next day. To keep it soft wrap it with plastic wrap and keep it
>> at room temperature.

Peter
Tasmania
Australia
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 18, 5:42*pm, JeanineAlyse > wrote:
> On Jan 18, 2:08*pm, sf > wrote:> Orange Lemon Cakehttp://www.notonlypizza.com/2010/06/14/orange-lemon-cake//
>
> > Ingredients:

> > 1 medium organic orange
> > 1 organic lemon

> I have a lemon and an orange tree, I have no need to, and do not use
> pesticides anywhere. *So, are my lemons and oranges organic?
> ...PickyQuestions

'organic' with a lower case 'o'!

;-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 18:14:35 -0600, heyjoe >
wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 15:42:23 -0800 (PST), JeanineAlyse wrote:
>
> > On Jan 18, 2:08*pm, sf > wrote:
> >> Orange Lemon Cakehttp://www.notonlypizza.com/2010/06/14/orange-lemon-cake//
> >>
> >> Ingredients:
> >>
> >> 1 medium organic orange
> >> 1 organic lemon

> > I have a lemon and an orange tree, I have no need to, and do not use
> > pesticides anywhere. So, are my lemons and oranges organic?
> > ...PickyQuestions

> Uh - NO! You haven't registered with the government as an organinc
> grower and you don't have the proper paperwork documenting the "organic"
> methods and procedures used to grow your lemons and oranges.

She's not selling them, she's just eating them.

--

Tell congress not to censor the web. Add your voice here.
https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 01:55:53 +0000 (UTC), "I'm back on the laptop"
> wrote:

> > I'm using 2T of chopped rosemary next
> > time, IMO one wasn't enough.

> OK, will give it a try, might mix in 1 to start with and see what the
> smell is like.

Had it for dessert tonight and my son (who cooks as well as eats) says
1T is fine in his opinion. So I guess the word would be to use 1T as
a starting point and adjust it the next time if you want more rosemary
flavor. I think he liked that amount because he couldn't pick it out
as a defined flavor and was naming spices as what he thought he
tasted.

--

Tell congress not to censor the web. Add your voice here.
https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Clueless AOL newbie Sheldon "Pussy" Katz frothed at the mouth:

>> Orange Lemon Cake
>> http://www.notonlypizza.com/2010/06/...e-lemon-cake//
>>
>> Ingredients:
>> 1 medium organic orange
>> 1 organic lemon

> WTF is the point in stipulating organic for the citrus but not for all
> the other ingredients???

Because all the other ingredients are not commonly sprayed with pesticide.
*You* should feel free to make the cake using Carbaryl-coated fruit; it
could improve your Usenet posts dramatically.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote in news:u13fh7hbijlsodkjn77vs1i27eq0k0qo84@
4ax.com:

> On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 01:55:53 +0000 (UTC), "I'm back on the laptop"
> > wrote:
>
>> > I'm using 2T of chopped rosemary next
>> > time, IMO one wasn't enough.

>> OK, will give it a try, might mix in 1 to start with and see what the
>> smell is like.

> Had it for dessert tonight and my son (who cooks as well as eats) says
> 1T is fine in his opinion. So I guess the word would be to use 1T as
> a starting point and adjust it the next time if you want more rosemary
> flavor. I think he liked that amount because he couldn't pick it out
> as a defined flavor and was naming spices as what he thought he
> tasted.

Yeah, I think I'd rather go for the subtle approach first :-)

--
Peter
Tasmania
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> I baked a cake yesterday and let the flavors develop overnight. The
> recipe called for boiling a whole orange and a whole lemon, but I
> roasted them in foil because I wanted a deeper citrus flavor. I also
> added a tablespoon of chopped fresh rosemary to the batter.... because
> I like rosemary with lemon and orange olive oil cakes.
>
> Oh, man - this is my type of cake: dense and intense. All it needs is
> a dollop of whipped cream on the side... and a cup of coffee or tea.
> It's going into the freezer and coming out for the playoff game this
> weekend.
>

> Orange Lemon Cake
> http://www.notonlypizza.com/2010/06/...e-lemon-cake//
>
> Ingredients:
>
> 1 medium organic orange
> 1 organic lemon
> 6 oz. raw peeled almonds (sf used almond meal from Trader Joe's)
> 1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
> 1 Tbs. aluminum free baking powder (sf used what was on hand)
> 4 extra large eggs
> ½ tsp. sea salt
> 1 ½ cups raw cane sugar, granulated white sugar is also fine
> 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
>
> powdered sugar for decoration

Mmmm. Unfortunately, I didn't get a lemon today. (I usually have
more than one here.) Otherwise... Maybe tomorrow, IF there are
organic ones. You never know.

BTW, I have pretty much switched to that raw sugar for baking. I
like the subtle flavor that it imparts.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 21:49:09 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:

> BTW, I have pretty much switched to that raw sugar for baking. I
> like the subtle flavor that it imparts.

I'd never baked with it before. Don't even know why I had it on hand,
but I did. I *really* like that cake! Flourless brownies are next on
the agenda. Maybe I should use raw sugar for that too.

--

Tell congress not to censor the web. Add your voice here.
https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote in news:6s8sh7h3j15qeru4mt1dh0k060tpcgkkj8@
4ax.com:

> On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 21:49:09 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> BTW, I have pretty much switched to that raw sugar for baking. I
>> like the subtle flavor that it imparts.

> I'd never baked with it before. Don't even know why I had it on hand,
> but I did. I *really* like that cake! Flourless brownies are next on
> the agenda. Maybe I should use raw sugar for that too.

Suprise, suprise, I was cleaning out and organising the pantry (as one does
when it is ****ing down with rain and one is bored!!) and found a 175g bag
of "Raw Cane Sugar" that a friend bought up in the touristy area of Nth Qld
and decided to give to us.

Looks exactly like any other raw sugar you'd buy in a supermarket, just
done up in a little 'touristy' pillow bag and probably cost a small
fortune!!

So I'll use that in the OLOO Cake.

--
Peter
Tasmania
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 21:49:09 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> BTW, I have pretty much switched to that raw sugar for baking. I
>> like the subtle flavor that it imparts.

> I'd never baked with it before. Don't even know why I had it on hand,
> but I did. I *really* like that cake! Flourless brownies are next on
> the agenda. Maybe I should use raw sugar for that too.

I dunno. The flavor is lost in an intense brownie.

Um, did you say flourless???? I am listening....

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I'm back on the laptop wrote:
> sf > wrote in news:6s8sh7h3j15qeru4mt1dh0k060tpcgkkj8@
> 4ax.com:
>
>> On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 21:49:09 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
>>
>>> BTW, I have pretty much switched to that raw sugar for baking. I
>>> like the subtle flavor that it imparts.

>> I'd never baked with it before. Don't even know why I had it on hand,
>> but I did. I *really* like that cake! Flourless brownies are next on
>> the agenda. Maybe I should use raw sugar for that too.
>>

> Suprise, suprise, I was cleaning out and organising the pantry (as one does
> when it is ****ing down with rain and one is bored!!) and found a 175g bag
> of "Raw Cane Sugar" that a friend bought up in the touristy area of Nth Qld
> and decided to give to us.
>
> Looks exactly like any other raw sugar you'd buy in a supermarket, just
> done up in a little 'touristy' pillow bag and probably cost a small
> fortune!!
>
> So I'll use that in the OLOO Cake.

Here, it has become fairly common, so the price isn't astronomical.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > wrote in
:

> I'm back on the laptop wrote:
>> sf > wrote in news:6s8sh7h3j15qeru4mt1dh0k060tpcgkkj8@
>> 4ax.com:

>>> I'd never baked with it before. Don't even know why I had it on
>>> hand, but I did. I *really* like that cake! Flourless brownies are
>>> next on the agenda. Maybe I should use raw sugar for that too.
>>>

>> Suprise, suprise, I was cleaning out and organising the pantry (as
>> one does when it is ****ing down with rain and one is bored!!) and
>> found a 175g bag of "Raw Cane Sugar" that a friend bought up in the
>> touristy area of Nth Qld and decided to give to us.
>>
>> Looks exactly like any other raw sugar you'd buy in a supermarket,
>> just done up in a little 'touristy' pillow bag and probably cost a
>> small fortune!!
>>
>> So I'll use that in the OLOO Cake.
>>

> Here, it has become fairly common, so the price isn't astronomical.

Yeah, samesame here, cheap as chips in the supermarket.... but my friend
was silly enough to get sucked into the tourist trap and buy it at
tourist prices :-)

--
Peter
Tasmania
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 22:40:21 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 21:49:09 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
> >
> >> BTW, I have pretty much switched to that raw sugar for baking. I
> >> like the subtle flavor that it imparts.

> > I'd never baked with it before. Don't even know why I had it on hand,
> > but I did. I *really* like that cake! Flourless brownies are next on
> > the agenda. Maybe I should use raw sugar for that too.
> >

> I dunno. The flavor is lost in an intense brownie.

Okay, I'll take that under advisement. I'm new at baking with
raw/turbinado sugar.

> Um, did you say flourless???? I am listening....

The thread about "bean" brownies is what got me looking. I came
across "flourless brownies" which reminded me of Chocolate Decadence
(aka: flourless chocolate cake) and there are lots of recipes out
there, so if this one doesn't appeal - you can find more.

Flourless Chocolate Cake
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...ate-Cake-14478
Gourmet | November 1997

Makes one 8-inch cake

Can be prepared in 45 minutes or less.

ingredients

4 ounces fine-quality bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened)
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
3/4 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder plus additional for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 375°F and butter an 8-inch round baking pan. Line
bottom with a round of wax paper and butter paper.

Chop chocolate into small pieces. In a double boiler or metal bowl set
over a saucepan of barely simmering water melt chocolate with butter,
stirring, until smooth. Remove top of double boiler or bowl from heat
and whisk sugar into chocolate mixture. Add eggs and whisk well. Sift
1/2 cup cocoa powder over chocolate mixture and whisk until just
combined. Pour batter into pan and bake in middle of oven 25 minutes,
or until top has formed a thin crust. Cool cake in pan on a rack 5
minutes and invert onto a serving plate.

Dust cake with additional cocoa powder and serve with sorbet if
desired. (Cake keeps, after being cooled completely, in an airtight
container, 1 week.)

--

Tell congress not to censor the web. Add your voice here.
https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 23:30:18 -0800, sf > wrote:

> Flourless Chocolate Cake

Oops, sorry - wrong recipe

Flourless Chocolate Brownies
http://www.meals.com/Recipes/Flourle...ecipeid=143650

Makes: 16 brownies

Preparation Time: 20 mins
Cooking Time: 35 mins
Cooling Time: 4 hrs 30 mins refrigerating

Ingredients

2 cups (12-oz. pkg.) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels,
divided
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, cut into pieces
2 tablespoons water
1/4 cup NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Baking Cocoa
4 large eggs
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup pecans, finely ground (optional)
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream

Directions

PREHEAT oven to 300º F. Line 9-inch-square baking pan with foil.
Grease bottom and sides.

HEAT 1 1/2 cups morsels, butter and water in medium, heavy-duty
saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly, until morsels and butter
are melted and mixture is smooth. Stir in cocoa until smooth. Remove
from heat.

BEAT eggs and sugar in medium mixer bowl until thick, about 4 minutes.
Stir in vanilla extract. Fold 1/3 of egg mixture into chocolate
mixture. Fold in remaining egg mixture, one half at a time, until
thoroughly incorporated. Fold in pecans. Pour into prepared pan.

BAKE for 35 to 40 minutes or until risen in center and edges start to
get firm and shiny (center may still move and appear underbaked). Cool
completely in pan on wire rack (center may sink slightly). Cover;
refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.

PLACE cream in small, uncovered, microwave-safe dish. Microwave on
HIGH (100%) power for 25 to 30 seconds. Add remaining 1/2 cup morsels.
Let stand for 2 to 3 minutes; stir until chocolate is melted.

SPREAD ganache over chilled brownie. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Using
two opposite sides of foil, carefully lift the entire brownie out of
the pan and place on cutting board. Carefully peel away foil from
brownie. Cut into bars. Store in tightly covered container in
refrigerator.

--

Tell congress not to censor the web. Add your voice here.
https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>I'd never baked with it before. Don't even
> know why I had it on hand, but I did. I
> *really* like that cake! Flourless
> brownies are next on the agenda.
> Maybe I should use raw sugar for that
> too.

I've never made flourless brownies before, but I'll be curious to see
how they turn out, if you do make them? Have you ever made flourless
peanut butter cookies? They are REALLY good...my hubby loves them over
any others.

I must say the cake you made sounds very "different" and one I would
never have been interested in making, just seeing the recipe. First off
rosemary in a dessert of any kind, sounds very strange to me. I like
rosemary, when it's crushed up and added to a meat dish of some kind, or
perhaps bread, or rolls to be eaten with a meal, but not cake, cookies,
pie, etc. I call that seasoning "pine needles" (LOL) seems like a
strange flavor to put in a cake?! I also have never heard of using
olive oil in a cake. I buy it to fry with, and sometimes for a salad
dressing. Nor have I ever heard of aluminum-free baking powder??? I'm 71
years old and have been baking since the age of 9, but this recipe
contains a lot of "firsts" for me...unusual recipe indeed, and I must
say it's hard for me to imagine that it would be that good, though I do
love anything citrus.

I've also never used raw sugar..ever, but my grandfather swore by it,
and called refined sugar "rat food", as he did bleached flour, but I've
never used the unbleached four for anything.

Yesterday I made some Lemon Cake Squares and they are divine! Is an old
recipe, and hadn't made them in ages, but hubby and I about ate the
whole pan while they were still warm! >)

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 22:40:21 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:

>>> I'd never baked with it before. Don't even know why I had it on hand,
>>> but I did. I *really* like that cake! Flourless brownies are next on
>>> the agenda. Maybe I should use raw sugar for that too.
>>>

>> I dunno. The flavor is lost in an intense brownie.

> Okay, I'll take that under advisement. I'm new at baking with
> raw/turbinado sugar.
>> Um, did you say flourless???? I am listening....

> The thread about "bean" brownies is what got me looking. I came
> across "flourless brownies" which reminded me of Chocolate Decadence
> (aka: flourless chocolate cake) and there are lots of recipes out
> there, so if this one doesn't appeal - you can find more.
>
> Flourless Chocolate Cake
> http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...ate-Cake-14478
> Gourmet | November 1997
>
> Makes one 8-inch cake
>
> Can be prepared in 45 minutes or less.
>
> ingredients
>
> 4 ounces fine-quality bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened)
> 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
> 3/4 cup sugar
> 3 large eggs
> 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder plus additional for sprinkling
>

> Preheat oven to 375°F and butter an 8-inch round baking pan. Line
> bottom with a round of wax paper and butter paper.
>
> Chop chocolate into small pieces. In a double boiler or metal bowl set
> over a saucepan of barely simmering water melt chocolate with butter,
> stirring, until smooth. Remove top of double boiler or bowl from heat
> and whisk sugar into chocolate mixture. Add eggs and whisk well. Sift
> 1/2 cup cocoa powder over chocolate mixture and whisk until just
> combined. Pour batter into pan and bake in middle of oven 25 minutes,
> or until top has formed a thin crust. Cool cake in pan on a rack 5
> minutes and invert onto a serving plate.
>
> Dust cake with additional cocoa powder and serve with sorbet if
> desired. (Cake keeps, after being cooled completely, in an airtight
> container, 1 week.)

Thanks!

Now you're getting into familiar territory, although the cake I
started making in the very early 70s contained 2-3 Tbsps of flour.
Gee, I coulda made that yesterday. I should make one. For one
thing, it freezes really well, and can be sliced in the frozen state.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 23:30:18 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
>> Flourless Chocolate Cake

> Oops, sorry - wrong recipe
>
> Flourless Chocolate Brownies
> http://www.meals.com/Recipes/Flourle...ecipeid=143650
>
> Makes: 16 brownies
>
> Preparation Time: 20 mins
> Cooking Time: 35 mins
> Cooling Time: 4 hrs 30 mins refrigerating
>

> Ingredients
>
> 2 cups (12-oz. pkg.) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels,
> divided
> 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, cut into pieces
> 2 tablespoons water
> 1/4 cup NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Baking Cocoa
> 4 large eggs
> 1/3 cup granulated sugar
> 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
> 1 cup pecans, finely ground (optional)
> 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
>

> Directions
>
> PREHEAT oven to 300º F. Line 9-inch-square baking pan with foil.
> Grease bottom and sides.
>
> HEAT 1 1/2 cups morsels, butter and water in medium, heavy-duty
> saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly, until morsels and butter
> are melted and mixture is smooth. Stir in cocoa until smooth. Remove
> from heat.
>
> BEAT eggs and sugar in medium mixer bowl until thick, about 4 minutes.
> Stir in vanilla extract. Fold 1/3 of egg mixture into chocolate
> mixture. Fold in remaining egg mixture, one half at a time, until
> thoroughly incorporated. Fold in pecans. Pour into prepared pan.
>
> BAKE for 35 to 40 minutes or until risen in center and edges start to
> get firm and shiny (center may still move and appear underbaked). Cool
> completely in pan on wire rack (center may sink slightly). Cover;
> refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
>
> PLACE cream in small, uncovered, microwave-safe dish. Microwave on
> HIGH (100%) power for 25 to 30 seconds. Add remaining 1/2 cup morsels.
> Let stand for 2 to 3 minutes; stir until chocolate is melted.
>
> SPREAD ganache over chilled brownie. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Using
> two opposite sides of foil, carefully lift the entire brownie out of
> the pan and place on cutting board. Carefully peel away foil from
> brownie. Cut into bars. Store in tightly covered container in
> refrigerator.

I was wondering whether that was in intentional segue. :-)

Oh dear, this looks like something I will need to try. Maybe with
hazelnut flour.

Thanks!

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 08:46:20 -0900, (Judy Haffner)
wrote:

> sf wrote:
>
> >I'd never baked with it before. Don't even
> > know why I had it on hand, but I did. I
> > *really* like that cake! Flourless
> > brownies are next on the agenda.
> > Maybe I should use raw sugar for that
> > too.

> I've never made flourless brownies before, but I'll be curious to see
> how they turn out, if you do make them?

I certainly will report, but I expect the recipe I plan on using to
mimic flourless cake.

> Have you ever made flourless
> peanut butter cookies? They are REALLY good...my hubby loves them over
> any others.

Oh, yes! Once I found out about that recipe, I actually started
looking forward to buying peanut butter I don't like in a sandwich
because they're the perfect way to use that stuff up.

> I must say the cake you made sounds very "different" and one I would
> never have been interested in making, just seeing the recipe. First off
> rosemary in a dessert of any kind, sounds very strange to me. I like
> rosemary, when it's crushed up and added to a meat dish of some kind, or
> perhaps bread, or rolls to be eaten with a meal, but not cake, cookies,
> pie, etc. I call that seasoning "pine needles" (LOL) seems like a
> strange flavor to put in a cake?!

Not really, I think it's pretty common in Italy. You'd never know you
were eating pine needles if you chop up fresh rosemary for the cake
and you'll never know how good it is until you try it. You won't even
know it's rosemary. My son was guessing what the flavor was he tasted
and rosemary and wasn't part of the equation. He was pleasantly
surprised when he found out and said he wouldn't have guessed. That's
why I'll stay with 1T after all.

AFAIC rosemary goes very well with EVOO and lemon/orange... just like
the three go together so well with meat. If you opened the link I
provided, you'd see that the original cake doesn't call for any
rosemary - but I've made a couple of rosemary and lemon pound cakes in
the past and liked them, so I added it to this one. I wasn't sorry I
did it either.

> I also have never heard of using olive oil in a cake.

That's Italian too. I'm not Italian, but I like the flavor profile.
In fact, I made biscuits with EVOO instead of butter/shortening last
week and they turned out very well considering I'm not a biscuit
maker.

Oil Biscuits
http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/C...n--n--Biscuits

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup milk
1/3 cup canola oil (I used EVOO)

Directions

1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add
milk and oil. Stir until the dough forms a ball. On a lightly floured
surface, knead 8-10 times or until smooth.

2. Roll or pat dough into a 6-in. square about 1 in. thick. Cut into
six rectangles. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 450°
for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.

> I buy it to fry with, and sometimes for a salad
> dressing. Nor have I ever heard of aluminum-free baking powder??? I'm 71
> years old and have been baking since the age of 9, but this recipe
> contains a lot of "firsts" for me...unusual recipe indeed, and I must
> say it's hard for me to imagine that it would be that good, though I do
> love anything citrus.

Aluminum free is aka "single acting" baking powder. In any case, I
only had double acting so I used that. Here's what David Lebowitz has
to say about it (plus a recipe for baking powder which I think I'll
start using since I have all the ingredients and two containers of
cream of tartar to use up)
http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2008/10...aluminum-free/

> I've also never used raw sugar..ever, but my grandfather swore by it,
> and called refined sugar "rat food",

I'd never baked with raw sugar before that cake and I like it. IMO,
the larger granules make the finished product not as sweet as it would
be using granulated sugar.

> as he did bleached flour, but I've never used the unbleached four for anything.

Flour bleaches naturally over time and I use unbleached flour as much
as possible because there are more nutrients left in it.

> Yesterday I made some Lemon Cake Squares and they are divine! Is an old
> recipe, and hadn't made them in ages, but hubby and I about ate the
> whole pan while they were still warm! >)

No recipe? I'm disappointed.

--

Tell congress not to censor the web. Add your voice here.
https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/24/2012 7:48 PM, sf wrote:

> Aluminum free is aka "single acting" baking powder.

There are now double-acting aluminium-free baking powders.

I've been using it for a while, and find that it performs just as well
as the other sort. The one I use is made by Argo, the cornstarch people.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>Not really, I think it's pretty common in
>Italy. You'd never know you were eating
> pine needles if you chop up fresh
> rosemary for the cake and you'll never
> know how good it is until you try it. You
> won't even know it's rosemary. My son
> was guessing what the flavor was he
> tasted and rosemary and wasn't part of
> the equation. He was pleasantly
> surprised when he found out and said
> he wouldn't have guessed. That's why
> I'll stay with 1T after all.

I guess I'm not that familiar with Italian recipes, especially desserts,
so hadn't heard of using rosemary in desserts, but you might have come
up with a "winner" there, using it in cake.

>AFAIC rosemary goes very well with
> EVOO and lemon/orange... just like the
> three go together so well with meat. If
> you opened the link I provided, you'd
> see that the original cake doesn't call for
> any rosemary - but I've made a couple
> of rosemary and lemon pound cakes in
> the past and liked them, so I added it to
> this one. I wasn't sorry I did it either.

Also have never used EVOO. We always buy canola oil, peanut oil and
olive oil. Today I'm trying a new chicken breast recipe that calls for
them to be fried in Extra Virgin Olive Oil and it also has white wine,
juice and peel of 1 lemon, garlic, capers and parsley in it, so hope
it's good!

Thanks for the recipe for Oil Biscuits, as they sound good. I'll look up
the Lemon Cake Squares recipe and post it next.

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Lemon-Cake Sqs. (Was Orange-Lemon Olive Oil Cake with Rosemary)

Lemon-Cake Squares

6 tbsp. butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 egg
1-1/2 cups flour
1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
grated rind of 1 lemon
1/2 cup milk

Beat eggs in large bowl for electric mixer, beat in butter and sugar.
Add flour, baking powder and salt and mix thoroughly. Add milk and lemon
rind; beat until thoroughly mixed. Pour batter into greased 13 x 9"
baking pan. Bake at 350º for 22 to 25 minutes (my oven bakes a little
hot, so I bake it for the lesser time). In the meantime, stir together
in small bowl, 1/2 cup granulated sugar and juice of 1 lemon. Remove
cake from oven and carefully spoon mixture over top of cake; return to
oven and continue baking for 5 minutes. Cut into small squares while
still warm.

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 24, 7:25*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:

> >AFAIC rosemary goes very well with
> > EVOO and lemon/orange.

> Also have never used EVOO. We always buy canola oil, peanut oil and
> olive oil.
>
> Judy

EVOO means Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 18:46:01 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 23:30:18 -0800, sf > wrote:
> >
> >> Flourless Chocolate Cake

> > Oops, sorry - wrong recipe
> >
> > Flourless Chocolate Brownies
> > http://www.meals.com/Recipes/Flourle...ecipeid=143650
> >
> > Makes: 16 brownies
> >
> > Preparation Time: 20 mins
> > Cooking Time: 35 mins
> > Cooling Time: 4 hrs 30 mins refrigerating
> >

> > Ingredients
> >
> > 2 cups (12-oz. pkg.) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels,
> > divided
> > 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, cut into pieces
> > 2 tablespoons water
> > 1/4 cup NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Baking Cocoa
> > 4 large eggs
> > 1/3 cup granulated sugar
> > 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
> > 1 cup pecans, finely ground (optional)
> > 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
> >

> > Directions
> >
> > PREHEAT oven to 300º F. Line 9-inch-square baking pan with foil.
> > Grease bottom and sides.
> >
> > HEAT 1 1/2 cups morsels, butter and water in medium, heavy-duty
> > saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly, until morsels and butter
> > are melted and mixture is smooth. Stir in cocoa until smooth. Remove
> > from heat.
> >
> > BEAT eggs and sugar in medium mixer bowl until thick, about 4 minutes.
> > Stir in vanilla extract. Fold 1/3 of egg mixture into chocolate
> > mixture. Fold in remaining egg mixture, one half at a time, until
> > thoroughly incorporated. Fold in pecans. Pour into prepared pan.
> >
> > BAKE for 35 to 40 minutes or until risen in center and edges start to
> > get firm and shiny (center may still move and appear underbaked). Cool
> > completely in pan on wire rack (center may sink slightly). Cover;
> > refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
> >
> > PLACE cream in small, uncovered, microwave-safe dish. Microwave on
> > HIGH (100%) power for 25 to 30 seconds. Add remaining 1/2 cup morsels.
> > Let stand for 2 to 3 minutes; stir until chocolate is melted.
> >
> > SPREAD ganache over chilled brownie. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Using
> > two opposite sides of foil, carefully lift the entire brownie out of
> > the pan and place on cutting board. Carefully peel away foil from
> > brownie. Cut into bars. Store in tightly covered container in
> > refrigerator.
> >

> I was wondering whether that was in intentional segue. :-)
>
> Oh dear, this looks like something I will need to try. Maybe with
> hazelnut flour.
>
> Thanks!

NP! But hazelnut flour? No flour of any kind is needed unless you're
replacing the ground pecans with it.

--

Tell congress not to censor the web. Add your voice here.
https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 20:07:18 -0500, S Viemeister
> wrote:

> On 1/24/2012 7:48 PM, sf wrote:
>
> > Aluminum free is aka "single acting" baking powder.

> There are now double-acting aluminium-free baking powders.

I know, but I used what I had on hand and it worked for me.

> I've been using it for a while, and find that it performs just as well
> as the other sort. The one I use is made by Argo, the cornstarch people.

I think I'll use that recipe for home made baking powder since I have
all the ingredients on hand.

--

Tell congress not to censor the web. Add your voice here.
https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>Thanks Judy - copied and saved. I like
> them easy! Add "divide the sugar into
> two 1/2 cups portions" and "juice of one
> lemon" to the recipe?

Actually the 1 cup of sugar goes into the cake and all of the lemon peel
from the 1 lemon. While the cake is baking, squeeze all the juice out of
the lemon and mix with an additional 1/2 cup granulated sugar. Return to
the oven, after spooning the mixture over the cake and bake 5 minutes
more with the glaze on it. It seems to soak up into the cake, and has a
strong citrus flavor.

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 19:22:57 -0800 (PST), ItsJoanNotJoann
> wrote:

> On Jan 24, 7:25*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
> >

> > >AFAIC rosemary goes very well with
> > > EVOO and lemon/orange.

> > Also have never used EVOO. We always buy canola oil, peanut oil and
> > olive oil.
> >
> > Judy
> >

> EVOO means Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

She probably meant regular olive oil. At least that's the way I took
it.

--

Tell congress not to censor the web. Add your voice here.
https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Judy wrote:

> I must say the cake you made sounds very "different" and one I would
> never have been interested in making, just seeing the recipe. First off
> rosemary in a dessert of any kind, sounds very strange to me. I like
> rosemary, when it's crushed up and added to a meat dish of some kind, or
> perhaps bread, or rolls to be eaten with a meal, but not cake, cookies,
> pie, etc. I call that seasoning "pine needles" (LOL) seems like a
> strange flavor to put in a cake?!

Rosemary works quite well in desserts. I've been making a rosemary
shortbread for almost twenty years. For Easter 2010 I made a chestnut
cheesecake with rosemary-infused honey and oranges. Try it!

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 06:30:56 -0800, Bob Terwilliger
> wrote:

> Judy wrote:
>
> > I call that seasoning "pine needles" (LOL) seems like a
> > strange flavor to put in a cake?!

> Rosemary works quite well in desserts. I've been making a rosemary
> shortbread for almost twenty years. For Easter 2010 I made a chestnut
> cheesecake with rosemary-infused honey and oranges. Try it!

The "pine needles" comment made me think that she only has experience
with dried rosemary. I have a rosemary bush outside, so I never even
think about dried. I even have a stash of chopped fresh in the
freezer for those times I'm too lazy to go out and cut fresh.

--

Tell congress not to censor the web. Add your voice here.
https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>The "pine needles" comment made me
> think that she only has experience with
> dried rosemary. I have a rosemary bush
> outside, so I never even think about
> dried. I even have a stash of chopped
> fresh in the freezer for those times I'm
> too lazy to go out and cut fresh.

You're right, sf, I've never used fresh rosemary, and that probably
would be much better. I didn't think of that, as have never had a herb
garden of any kind, and when I looked at the fresh stuff in the stores
here, they really don't look like they are in very good shape, so just
buy the dried, so maybe it would have a better, more robust flavor when
using the fresh. I never thought of that, when you were talking about it
before.

Judy