Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Orange-Lemon Olive Oil Cake with Rosemary

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 11:56:40 -0900, (Judy Haffner)
wrote:

> sf wrote:
>
> >The "pine needles" comment made me
> > think that she only has experience with
> > dried rosemary. I have a rosemary bush
> > outside, so I never even think about
> > dried. I even have a stash of chopped
> > fresh in the freezer for those times I'm
> > too lazy to go out and cut fresh.

> You're right, sf, I've never used fresh rosemary, and that probably
> would be much better. I didn't think of that, as have never had a herb
> garden of any kind, and when I looked at the fresh stuff in the stores
> here, they really don't look like they are in very good shape, so just
> buy the dried, so maybe it would have a better, more robust flavor when
> using the fresh. I never thought of that, when you were talking about it
> before.

I guess I need to insert the word "fresh" in front of rosemary since
we go with what we know. If you ever see fresh rosemary that's in
decent shape, chop it all up, put it in a baggie and freeze. It's the
next best thing to fresh.

If you ever do buy it fresh, root a couple of sprigs. It's easy to
do. When you can have fresh whenever you want... you'll find you use
rosemary more often if you can just snip a few sprigs off your own
plant.

--

Tell congress not to censor the web. Add your voice here.
https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> If you ever do buy it fresh, root a couple of sprigs. It's easy to
> do. When you can have fresh whenever you want... you'll find you use
> rosemary more often if you can just snip a few sprigs off your own
> plant.

Rosemary can be very hard to winter over. It can take a certain amount of
cold and it can take a certain amount of water, but the combo of cold and
wet is deadly. In the house it sometimes gets mites. I have always done
whatever I had to, though.
In Umbria it become alsmost a tree and the only thing that kills it are
plumbers, IMO. It's one of life's great pleasures to grasp a rosemary
branch, slide your hand along it and then smell your palm.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 07:38:24 +0100, "Giusi" >
wrote:

> "sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>
> > If you ever do buy it fresh, root a couple of sprigs. It's easy to
> > do. When you can have fresh whenever you want... you'll find you use
> > rosemary more often if you can just snip a few sprigs off your own
> > plant.

> Rosemary can be very hard to winter over. It can take a certain amount of
> cold and it can take a certain amount of water, but the combo of cold and
> wet is deadly. In the house it sometimes gets mites. I have always done
> whatever I had to, though.
> In Umbria it become alsmost a tree and the only thing that kills it are
> plumbers, IMO. It's one of life's great pleasures to grasp a rosemary
> branch, slide your hand along it and then smell your palm.

Even if the area where she lives can't support a year round rosemary
bush, they grow quickly. She can root a sprig or buy one already
rooted and plant it somewhere... or just buy a bundle of fresh
rosemary from the grocery or vegetable store, chop it up and freeze
what she doesn't use. There's no good reason anymore not to use fresh
rosemary. Lemon, garlic, olive oil and rosemary make a great
lamb/chicken rub too.

--

Tell congress not to censor the web. Add your voice here.
https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/25/2012 11:38 PM, Giusi wrote:

> Rosemary can be very hard to winter over. It can take a certain amount of
> cold and it can take a certain amount of water, but the combo of cold and
> wet is deadly. In the house it sometimes gets mites. I have always done
> whatever I had to, though.
> In Umbria it become alsmost a tree and the only thing that kills it are
> plumbers, IMO. It's one of life's great pleasures to grasp a rosemary
> branch, slide your hand along it and then smell your palm.

That fresh odor on your hand is heavenly with many herbs, but risemary
is my favorite.

I can't keep it alive in Colorado over the winter but daughter in San
Diego area grows it as a large shrub. It is so pretty when it's in
bloom, covered with tiny blue flowers.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:
> "sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>
>> If you ever do buy it fresh, root a couple of sprigs. It's easy to
>> do. When you can have fresh whenever you want... you'll find you use
>> rosemary more often if you can just snip a few sprigs off your own
>> plant.

> Rosemary can be very hard to winter over. It can take a certain amount of
> cold and it can take a certain amount of water, but the combo of cold and
> wet is deadly.

I've not gotten one to live through a Chicago winter yet. Our USDA zone
has changed from 6a to 5b so maybe some future year.

> In the house it sometimes gets mites. I have always done
> whatever I had to, though.

They do fine indoors. Get one cut to look like a tiny Christmas tree
and keep it for the cooking uses.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 10:03:15 -0700, gloria p >
wrote:

> I can't keep it alive in Colorado over the winter but daughter in San
> Diego area grows it as a large shrub. It is so pretty when it's in
> bloom, covered with tiny blue flowers.

You can have the best of both worlds: fresh rosemary without caring
for the bush or purchasing it from a store. Ask DD to pack a few
sprigs in a baggie and send it to you via USPS occasionally!

--

Tell congress not to censor the web. Add your voice here.
https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 18:46:01 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:

>>> Oops, sorry - wrong recipe
>>>
>>> Flourless Chocolate Brownies
>>> http://www.meals.com/Recipes/Flourle...ecipeid=143650
>>>
>>> Makes: 16 brownies
>>>
>>> Preparation Time: 20 mins
>>> Cooking Time: 35 mins
>>> Cooling Time: 4 hrs 30 mins refrigerating
>>>

>>> Ingredients
>>>
>>> 2 cups (12-oz. pkg.) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels,
>>> divided
>>> 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, cut into pieces
>>> 2 tablespoons water
>>> 1/4 cup NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Baking Cocoa
>>> 4 large eggs
>>> 1/3 cup granulated sugar
>>> 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
>>> 1 cup pecans, finely ground (optional)
>>> 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
>>>

>>> Directions
>>>
>>> PREHEAT oven to 300º F. Line 9-inch-square baking pan with foil.
>>> Grease bottom and sides.
>>>
>>> HEAT 1 1/2 cups morsels, butter and water in medium, heavy-duty
>>> saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly, until morsels and butter
>>> are melted and mixture is smooth. Stir in cocoa until smooth. Remove
>>> from heat.
>>>
>>> BEAT eggs and sugar in medium mixer bowl until thick, about 4 minutes.
>>> Stir in vanilla extract. Fold 1/3 of egg mixture into chocolate
>>> mixture. Fold in remaining egg mixture, one half at a time, until
>>> thoroughly incorporated. Fold in pecans. Pour into prepared pan.
>>>
>>> BAKE for 35 to 40 minutes or until risen in center and edges start to
>>> get firm and shiny (center may still move and appear underbaked). Cool
>>> completely in pan on wire rack (center may sink slightly). Cover;
>>> refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
>>>
>>> PLACE cream in small, uncovered, microwave-safe dish. Microwave on
>>> HIGH (100%) power for 25 to 30 seconds. Add remaining 1/2 cup morsels.
>>> Let stand for 2 to 3 minutes; stir until chocolate is melted.
>>>
>>> SPREAD ganache over chilled brownie. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Using
>>> two opposite sides of foil, carefully lift the entire brownie out of
>>> the pan and place on cutting board. Carefully peel away foil from
>>> brownie. Cut into bars. Store in tightly covered container in
>>> refrigerator.
>>>

>> I was wondering whether that was in intentional segue. :-)
>>
>> Oh dear, this looks like something I will need to try. Maybe with
>> hazelnut flour.
>>
>> Thanks!

> NP! But hazelnut flour? No flour of any kind is needed unless you're
> replacing the ground pecans with it.

Yup. That's my thought. Although, I guess it is not a good idea
because it would defeat the "flourless" part.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 23:35:38 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:

> Yup. That's my thought. Although, I guess it is not a good idea
> because it would defeat the "flourless" part.

When they talk about flourless, I think they mean "wheat".
Alternative types of flour is only just starting to go mainstream.

--

Tell congress not to censor the web. Add your voice here.
https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:

>On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 23:35:38 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:

>> Yup. That's my thought. Although, I guess it is not a good idea
>> because it would defeat the "flourless" part.

>When they talk about flourless, I think they mean "wheat".

Flourless means no flour, not no wheat. It means that the wheat
berries are combined with the liquid and other ingredients without
having ground them into flour.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 23:35:38 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> Yup. That's my thought. Although, I guess it is not a good idea
>> because it would defeat the "flourless" part.

> When they talk about flourless, I think they mean "wheat".
> Alternative types of flour is only just starting to go mainstream.

But after thinking about it, that would still probably defeat the
whole purpose of making these.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 22:17:37 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 23:35:38 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
> >
> >> Yup. That's my thought. Although, I guess it is not a good idea
> >> because it would defeat the "flourless" part.

> > When they talk about flourless, I think they mean "wheat".
> > Alternative types of flour is only just starting to go mainstream.
> >

> But after thinking about it, that would still probably defeat the
> whole purpose of making these.

And change the texture.... Here's a David Lebovitz recipe for you.
Chocolate Idiot Cake
http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2007/01/shf-27-chocolat-1/

--

Tell congress not to censor the web. Add your voice here.
https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf replied to Steve:

> (Steve Pope) wrote:
>
>> sf > wrote:

>> >When they talk about flourless, I think they mean "wheat".

>> Flourless means no flour, not no wheat. It means that the wheat
>> berries are combined with the liquid and other ingredients without
>> having ground them into flour.
>>

> Well, there's no flour of any kind - so crisis averted.

I thought Steve's post was a joke, especially in a discussion about cake.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger > wrote:

>> (Steve Pope) wrote:

>>> Flourless means no flour, not no wheat.

>I thought Steve's post was a joke, especially in a discussion about cake.

No, not a joke, but I hadn't read some of the preceding thread.
Flourless bread contains wheat. Flourless brownies, probably not.

Flourless cake, I'm not sure.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 15:27:06 +0000 (UTC),
(Steve Pope) wrote:

> Bob Terwilliger > wrote:

> >I thought Steve's post was a joke, especially in a discussion about cake.

> No, not a joke, but I hadn't read some of the preceding thread.
> Flourless bread contains wheat. Flourless brownies, probably not.
>
> Flourless cake, I'm not sure.

Just google flourless cake.

Flourless Lemon Cake
http://www.buttermilkpartycake.com/2...ble-lemon.html

Flourless Sponge Cake
From Eating Well Magazine April 1998
A perfect ending to a Passover seder.

Flourless Chocolate Cake
http://www.ciaoitalia.com/seasons/3/...chocolate-cake
Mary Ann Esposito

INGREDIENTS

4 eggs, separated
200 grams sugar (7 ounces) or 1 cup
200 grams unsweetened chocolate in fine pieces (7 ounces)
150 grams of butter (5 1/2 ounces unsalted butter)

DIRECTIONS

Grease a 9-inch square baking pan and line it with greased parchment
paper.

(Directions not included because I dust the pan with cocoa powder or
granulated sugar when I prepare it and I don't put my cake into a cold
oven) There are lots of recipes and I just combine them at whim.