FoodBanter.com

-   -   What Cut Fries? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/414863-what-cut-fries.html)

jmcquown[_2_] 16-01-2012 12:33 PM

What Cut Fries?

If you had a potato or two and you had to make fries... what cut? Just
curious :) Here are a few I can think of.

thick cut steak fries
quarter fries
shoestring fries
coin fries
waffle fries

Any others?

Jill

A Moose In Love 16-01-2012 01:13 PM

What Cut Fries?

On Jan 16, 7:33*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> If you had a potato or two and you had to make fries... what cut? *Just
> curious :) *Here are a few I can think of.
>
> thick cut steak fries
> quarter fries
> shoestring fries
> coin fries
> waffle fries
>
> Any others?
>
> Jill

I like fries cut into thick wedges. I just looked at a RR site, and
for steak fries she wants them cut into 'thin' strips.
Although she does them in the oven...
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/r...ipe/index.html
{
Ingredients

5 russet potatoes, cut into thin wedges
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon dried thyme, eyeball it
1 teaspoon dried oregano, eyeball it
1 tablespoon steak seasoning blend, such as Montreal Steak
Seasoning or, salt and pepper
}

notbob 16-01-2012 02:03 PM

What Cut Fries?

On 2012-01-16, jmcquown > wrote:

> shoestring fries

I've been buying shoestring fries cuz you and pan fry them with only a
little oil. I then eat 'em with chopsticks.

nb

--
vi --the root of evil

jmcquown[_2_] 16-01-2012 02:30 PM

What Cut Fries?

"A Moose in Love" > wrote in message
> On Jan 16, 7:33 am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
>> If you had a potato or two and you had to make fries... what cut? Just
>> curious :) Here are a few I can think of.
>>
>> thick cut steak fries
>> quarter fries
>> shoestring fries
>> coin fries
>> waffle fries
>>
>> Any others?
>>
>> Jill

> I like fries cut into thick wedges. I just looked at a RR site, and
> for steak fries she wants them cut into 'thin' strips.
> Although she does them in the oven...
> http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/r...ipe/index.html
> {
> Ingredients
>
> 5 russet potatoes, cut into thin wedges
> 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
> 1 teaspoon dried thyme, eyeball it
> 1 teaspoon dried oregano, eyeball it
> 1 tablespoon steak seasoning blend, such as Montreal Steak
> Seasoning or, salt and pepper

I like quarter fries. Those RR mentioned aren't exactly "thin". Quartered
baking potatoes rubbed with olive oil and sprinkled with dried thyme and
oregano and a little seasoned salt, roasted like baked potatoes, are pretty
terrific. I used to eat at a place that battered and fried them. But
baking is just as good. I also bake skinny fries :)

Jill

jmcquown[_2_] 16-01-2012 02:31 PM

What Cut Fries?

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2012-01-16, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> shoestring fries

> I've been buying shoestring fries cuz you and pan fry them with only a
> little oil. I then eat 'em with chopsticks.
>
> nb

I buy shoestring fries but I bake them.

Jill

notbob 16-01-2012 03:04 PM

What Cut Fries?

On 2012-01-16, jmcquown > wrote:

> I buy shoestring fries but I bake them.

I can see that, but since I've cut back so much on meat, cheese, and butter and
such, I actually need to get some fats into my diet. It be cold here
in dees here moun-taynes! (brrrr...) ;)

nb

--
vi --the root of evil

Kalmia 16-01-2012 03:08 PM

What Cut Fries?

On Jan 16, 7:33*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> If you had a potato or two and you had to make fries... what cut? *Just
> curious :) *Here are a few I can think of.
>
> thick cut steak fries
> quarter fries
> shoestring fries
> coin fries
> waffle fries
>
> Any others?
>
> Jill

Coin - for oven fries. I never deep fry.

Kalmia 16-01-2012 03:09 PM

What Cut Fries?

On Jan 16, 8:13*am, A Moose in Love >
wrote:
> On Jan 16, 7:33*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
> > If you had a potato or two and you had to make fries... what cut? *Just
> > curious :) *Here are a few I can think of.

> > thick cut steak fries
> > quarter fries
> > shoestring fries
> > coin fries
> > waffle fries

> > Any others?

> > Jill

> I like fries cut into thick wedges. *I just looked at a RR site, and
> for steak fries she wants them cut into 'thin' strips.
> Although she does them in the oven...http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/r...ak-fries-recip...
> {
> Ingredients
>
> * * 5 russet potatoes, cut into thin wedges
> * * 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
> * * 1 teaspoon dried thyme, eyeball it
> * * 1 teaspoon dried oregano, eyeball it
> * * 1 tablespoon steak seasoning blend, such as Montreal Steak
> Seasoning or, salt and pepper

> }

I sprinkle with paprika too - helps me see during the turning process.

spamtrap1888 16-01-2012 04:16 PM

What Cut Fries?

On Jan 16, 4:33*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> If you had a potato or two and you had to make fries... what cut? *Just
> curious :) *Here are a few I can think of.
>
> thick cut steak fries
> quarter fries
> shoestring fries
> coin fries
> waffle fries
>
> Any others?

I might just make Saratoga chips. But when I've made fries at home, I
set the slicer to about a quarter inch, then I cut by eye to about a
1/4-3/8.

jmcquown[_2_] 16-01-2012 04:38 PM

What Cut Fries?

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
> On Jan 16, 7:33 am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
>> If you had a potato or two and you had to make fries... what cut? Just
>> curious :) Here are a few I can think of.
>>
>> thick cut steak fries
>> quarter fries
>> shoestring fries
>> coin fries
>> waffle fries
>>
>> Any others?
>>
>> Jill

> Coin - for oven fries. I never deep fry.

I don't deep fry either. At Publix I buy the store brand "restaurant style"
shoestring fries They bake up nice and crispy.

Jill

KenK 16-01-2012 04:48 PM

What Cut Fries?

"jmcquown" > wrote in
:

> "A Moose in Love" > wrote in message
> ..
> .
>> On Jan 16, 7:33 am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
>>> If you had a potato or two and you had to make fries... what cut?
>>> Just curious :) Here are a few I can think of.
>>>
>>> thick cut steak fries
>>> quarter fries
>>> shoestring fries
>>> coin fries
>>> waffle fries
>>>
>>> Any others?
>>>
>>> Jill

>> I like fries cut into thick wedges. I just looked at a RR site, and
>> for steak fries she wants them cut into 'thin' strips.
>> Although she does them in the oven...
>> http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/r...k-fries-recipe
>> /index.html {
>> Ingredients
>>
>> 5 russet potatoes, cut into thin wedges
>> 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
>> 1 teaspoon dried thyme, eyeball it
>> 1 teaspoon dried oregano, eyeball it
>> 1 tablespoon steak seasoning blend, such as Montreal Steak
>> Seasoning or, salt and pepper
>>

> I like quarter fries. Those RR mentioned aren't exactly "thin".
> Quartered baking potatoes rubbed with olive oil and sprinkled with
> dried thyme and oregano and a little seasoned salt, roasted like baked
> potatoes, are pretty terrific. I used to eat at a place that battered
> and fried them. But baking is just as good. I also bake skinny fries
> :)
>
> Jill

How long how hot?

I'd guess 400 about 45 min?

TIA

--
"Experience is something you don't get until
just after you need it." Steven Wright

jmcquown[_2_] 16-01-2012 05:00 PM

What Cut Fries?

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 07:33:00 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> If you had a potato or two and you had to make fries... what cut? Just
>> curious :) Here are a few I can think of.
>>
>> thick cut steak fries
>> quarter fries
>> shoestring fries
>> coin fries
>> waffle fries
>>
>> Any others?

> What are quarter fries - wedges? Those are 8'ths or 6'ths. I have
> never seen a wedge with a right angle.

Quarter fries are quarted baking potatoes. Cut lengthwise and brushed with
olive oil and seasoned, then baked. They're crispy on the ouside and nicely
tender on the inside.

> My potato wedges (with Romano cheese):
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/7275891...7519/lightbox/
>
> -sw

Nice, but the fries should have been hot enough to melt the cheese ;)

Jill

Brooklyn1 16-01-2012 05:17 PM

What Cut Fries?

"jmcquown" wrote:

>If you had a potato or two and you had to make fries... what cut? Just
>curious :) Here are a few I can think of.
>
>thick cut steak fries
>quarter fries
>shoestring fries
>coin fries
>waffle fries
>
>Any others?

Ripple Cut, chunks... of course I'd never bother to french fry two
measly spuds... before heating oil gotta be two pounds minimum.

jmcquown[_2_] 16-01-2012 09:14 PM

What Cut Fries?

"KenK" > wrote in message
> "jmcquown" > wrote in
> :
>

>> "A Moose in Love" > wrote in message
>> ..
>> .

>>> I like fries cut into thick wedges. I just looked at a RR site, and
>>> for steak fries she wants them cut into 'thin' strips.
>>> Although she does them in the oven...
>>> http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/r...k-fries-recipe
>>> /index.html {
>>> Ingredients
>>>
>>> 5 russet potatoes, cut into thin wedges
>>> 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
>>> 1 teaspoon dried thyme, eyeball it
>>> 1 teaspoon dried oregano, eyeball it
>>> 1 tablespoon steak seasoning blend, such as Montreal Steak
>>> Seasoning or, salt and pepper
>>>

>> I like quarter fries. Those RR mentioned aren't exactly "thin".
>> Quartered baking potatoes rubbed with olive oil and sprinkled with
>> dried thyme and oregano and a little seasoned salt, roasted like baked
>> potatoes, are pretty terrific. I used to eat at a place that battered
>> and fried them. But baking is just as good. I also bake skinny fries
>> :)
>>
>> Jill
>>

> How long how hot?
>
> I'd guess 400 about 45 min?
>
> TIA

Roughly, yes. Hot oven, 45 minutes to an hour for quartered baking potato
fries.

Jill

Julie Bove[_2_] 16-01-2012 10:13 PM

What Cut Fries?

Julie Bove[_2_] 16-01-2012 10:14 PM

What Cut Fries?

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> If you had a potato or two and you had to make fries... what cut? Just
> curious :) Here are a few I can think of.
>
> thick cut steak fries
> quarter fries
> shoestring fries
> coin fries
> waffle fries
>
> Any others?

Shoestring.

Brooklyn1 16-01-2012 10:59 PM

What Cut Fries?

"Julie Bove" wrote:
>"jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> If you had a potato or two and you had to make fries... what cut? Just
>> curious :) Here are a few I can think of.
>>
>> thick cut steak fries
>> quarter fries
>> shoestring fries
>> coin fries
>> waffle fries
>>
>> Any others?

>Shoestring.

Shoestring, AKA fast food fries. I detest skinny fries, they're fat
magnets that taste nothing like spuds. Unless you've actually peeled
a spud and fried it yourself you haven't eaten a real fry in 30 years,
they're all *formed* frys. Every frozen fry at the stupidmarket is a
formed fry. In most all cases if the restaurant's fries don't have
skin they're mystery fries.
My fry cutter is older then you:
http://i44.tinypic.com/118zyf4.jpg

jmcquown[_2_] 16-01-2012 11:07 PM

What Cut Fries?

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 12:00:46 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>>
>>> My potato wedges (with Romano cheese):
>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/7275891...7519/lightbox/

>> Nice, but the fries should have been hot enough to melt the cheese ;)

> Show how much you know about Romano cheese.
>
> -sw

Yeah, I get it. It's a hard cheese. Doesn't matter. I generally don't put
cheese on french fries.

Jill

z z 16-01-2012 11:14 PM

What Cut Fries?

they sell crinkle cut extra long sweet potatoe fries at work-delicious.

Gloria P 16-01-2012 11:23 PM

What Cut Fries?

On 1/16/2012 5:33 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> If you had a potato or two and you had to make fries... what cut? Just
> curious :) Here are a few I can think of.
>
> thick cut steak fries
> quarter fries
> shoestring fries
> coin fries
> waffle fries
>
> Any others?
>
> Jill

Curly fries!

gloria p

Brooklyn1 16-01-2012 11:24 PM

What Cut Fries?

On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 18:07:48 -0500, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>"Sqwertz" > wrote in message

>>> Nice, but the fries should have been hot enough to melt the cheese ;)

>> Show how much you know about Romano cheese.
>>
>> -sw

>Yeah, I get it. It's a hard cheese. Doesn't matter. I generally don't put
>cheese on french fries.

The only things I've eaten on fries is salt, ketchup, or vinegar, I
really don't like fries with vinegar... most times I use just salt.
When in Canada I saw people eating fries with what looked like a
topping of vomit... vomit seemed very popular in Canada... after
seeing other of their viands I came to the conclusion that Canucks are
all afflicted with severe TIAD. Canada produces some very good food,
probably the best on the planet, unfortunately with how it's
prepared/served it's not appreciated. They really need to stop trying
so hard to be like Europe... Europe produces the worst food on the
planet.

Dave Smith[_1_] 16-01-2012 11:35 PM

What Cut Fries?

On 16/01/2012 6:07 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> Yeah, I get it. It's a hard cheese. Doesn't matter. I generally don't
> put cheese on french fries.

Wise choice. Despite having access to poutine, I have never dared to eat
it. It is a heart attack on a plate.

Steve Pope 16-01-2012 11:47 PM

What Cut Fries?

Dave Smith > wrote:

>On 16/01/2012 6:07 PM, jmcquown wrote:

>> Yeah, I get it. It's a hard cheese. Doesn't matter. I generally don't
>> put cheese on french fries.

>Wise choice. Despite having access to poutine, I have never dared to eat
>it. It is a heart attack on a plate.

It's okay so long as you eat it instead of, rather than in addition
to, all the other food you'd eat that day.

Actually I love poutine. I make a point of having it several times
each visit to Quebec. A local San Francisco place (Jasper's)
makes a version, but unfortunately their curd cheese does not
"squeak" for some reason. That took some of the fun out of it.

Steve

Jean B.[_1_] 17-01-2012 04:56 AM

What Cut Fries?

jmcquown wrote:
> If you had a potato or two and you had to make fries... what cut? Just
> curious :) Here are a few I can think of.
>
> thick cut steak fries
> quarter fries
> shoestring fries
> coin fries
> waffle fries
>
> Any others?
>
> Jill

You probably aren't wanting Saratoga fries (potato chips). :-)

--
Jean B.

jmcquown[_2_] 17-01-2012 12:46 PM

What Cut Fries?

"gloria p" > wrote in message
> On 1/16/2012 5:33 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>> If you had a potato or two and you had to make fries... what cut? Just
>> curious :) Here are a few I can think of.
>>
>> thick cut steak fries
>> quarter fries
>> shoestring fries
>> coin fries
>> waffle fries
>>
>> Any others?
>>
>> Jill

> Curly fries!
>
> gloria p

I forgot all about curly fries! I haven't seen those in years!

Jill

whirled peas 17-01-2012 09:28 PM

What Cut Fries?

On 01/16/2012 04:33 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> If you had a potato or two and you had to make fries... what cut? Just
> curious :) Here are a few I can think of.
>
> thick cut steak fries
> quarter fries
> shoestring fries
> coin fries
> waffle fries
>
> Any others?
>
> Jill

Something on my bucket list to try some day -- Souffled Potatoes AKA
Puffed Fried Potatoes. Big, starchy russets sliced 1/8" thick the long
way, soaked in ice water, blanched or par-fried in 1 1/2" oil at 300
until they just start to blister, maybe 6 minutes, drained and allowed
to soften. Can be left covered for several hours at this point. Just
before serving, heat the oil to 375 and fry a few at a time until they
puff up like pillows and get crispy, maybe two or three minutes. Some
won't, however. Julia and Jacques did this on their PBS show "Cooking at
Home".

jmcquown[_2_] 17-01-2012 11:11 PM

What Cut Fries?

"Kate Connally" > wrote in message
> On 1/16/2012 7:33 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>> If you had a potato or two and you had to make fries... what cut? Just
>> curious :) Here are a few I can think of.
>>
>> thick cut steak fries
>> quarter fries
>> shoestring fries
>> coin fries
>> waffle fries
>>
>> Any others?
>>
>> Jill

> I'm gonna say steak fries. I don't know what "quarter" fries are?
> Definitely not shoestring. I *hate* all those skinny fries. McD's
> being the worst! Not sure what "coin" fries are. Waffle fries are
> okay.

Quarter fries are quarted (lengthwise) baking potatoes. They're rubbed with
olive oil and sprinkled with herbs and salt & pepper and baked at 450F for
about 45 minutes. Okay, that's how I make them :) In some places in the
southern U.S. they are cut the same way but then battered and deep fried.
Either way they come out crispy outside and nicely fluffy inside.
Obviously baking them is more healthy. But one has to allow for indulgences
once in a while :)

> Now some of you people might be appalled, but I'm not a big fan of
> freshly cut fries that many places do these day. Mainly because they
> are not properly cooked. They have to be fried twice to get nice and
> crisp on the outside and the inside should be sort of soft and fluffy,
> not dense and waxy.

Twice fried are the best.

Jill

I'm back on the laptop 18-01-2012 01:31 PM

What Cut Fries?

"jmcquown" > wrote in news:9nijnrFtilU1
@mid.individual.net:

> If you had a potato or two and you had to make fries... what cut? Just
> curious :) Here are a few I can think of.
>
> thick cut steak fries
> quarter fries
> shoestring fries
> coin fries
> waffle fries
>
> Any others?
>
> Jill

Crinkle.

Peter
Tasmania
Australia

Bob Terwilliger[_1_] 19-01-2012 07:55 AM

What Cut Fries?

Whirled Peas wrote:

> Something on my bucket list to try some day -- Souffled Potatoes AKA
> Puffed Fried Potatoes. Big, starchy russets sliced 1/8" thick the long
> way, soaked in ice water, blanched or par-fried in 1 1/2" oil at 300 until
> they just start to blister, maybe 6 minutes, drained and allowed to
> soften. Can be left covered for several hours at this point. Just before
> serving, heat the oil to 375 and fry a few at a time until they puff up
> like pillows and get crispy, maybe two or three minutes. Some won't,
> however. Julia and Jacques did this on their PBS show "Cooking at Home".

How about this one, from
http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/02/ff_myhrvold/all/1

================================BEGIN QUOTE=================================

Myhrvold cuts his potatoes into batons and rinses them to get rid of surface
starch. Then he vacuum-seals them in a plastic bag, in one even layer, with
water. He heats the bag to 212 degrees for 15 minutes, steaming the batons.
Then he hits the bag with ultrasound to cavitate the water-45 minutes on
each side. He reheats the bag in an oven to 212 degrees for five minutes,
puts the hot fries on a rack in a vacuum chamber, and then blanches them in
338-degree oil for three minutes. When they're cool, Myhrvold deep-fries the
potatoes in oil at 375 degrees until they're crisp, about three more
minutes, and then drains them on paper towels. Total preparation time: two
hours.
The result is amazing. The outside nearly shatters when you bite into it,
yielding to a creamy center that's perfectly smooth. The key is the
cavitation caused by the ultrasonic bath-it creates thousands of tiny
fissures on the potato's surface, all of which become crunchy when it's
fried. When Plato saw the shadow of a french fry on the wall of his cave,
the guy standing behind him was snacking on these

=================================END QUOTE==================================

Bob

Storrmmee 05-02-2012 05:14 AM

What Cut Fries?

crinkle fries, or make potato skins leaving some of the potato in and
bake/stuff Lee

Jerry Avins 06-02-2012 05:51 PM

What Cut Fries?

Home fries. With onion. With small potatoes, I cut wedges with the skin on, and brown both cut sides while the pan is covered. That's something I saw once on America's Home Kitchen.

Jerry
--
You know the outhouse is properly located if it
seems too close in summer and too far in winter.