Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Sopa de Cenoura (Carrot Soup)

Some friends who just came back from mission work in Brazil shared this
with us.

Sopa de Cenoura (Carrot Soup) - a Portuguese Recipe

4 Tbsp olive oil
1 small onion
1/4 cup chopped tomato
1 clove garlic
1 pound carrots
1 medium white potato
1 cup rutabaga, chopped
4 cups water
1 Tbsp salt
1/8 tsp white pepper

Coarsely chop the onion.
The tomato should be peeled, seeded, and chopped.
Peel and chop the carrots.
Peel the potato and cut it into 1 inch cubes.
Put 2 Tbsp olive oil in a 4 quart pot on medium-high heat.
Saute the onion until it is a light golden color.
Stir in the tomato and the garlic clove.
Reduce heat to medium-low.
Cover.
Cook until the tomato is soft and partially dissolved - 12 to 15 minutes.
Add the rest of the vegetables and the water.
Turn up heat and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 30 minutes.
Remove from heat.
Puree the vegetables using a blender or forcing them through a sieve.
Add the remaining oil and seasonings.
Bring the soup to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.

--
Mike
http://www.facebook.com/groups/mikes.place.bar/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sopa de Cenoura (Carrot Soup)

Mike wrote:

> Sopa de Cenoura (Carrot Soup) - a Portuguese Recipe
>
> 4 Tbsp olive oil
> 1 small onion
> 1/4 cup chopped tomato
> 1 clove garlic
> 1 pound carrots
> 1 medium white potato
> 1 cup rutabaga, chopped
> 4 cups water
> 1 Tbsp salt
> 1/8 tsp white pepper

Serves twelve?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Mike wrote:
>
>> Sopa de Cenoura (Carrot Soup) - a Portuguese Recipe
>>
>> 4 Tbsp olive oil
>> 1 small onion
>> 1/4 cup chopped tomato
>> 1 clove garlic
>> 1 pound carrots
>> 1 medium white potato
>> 1 cup rutabaga, chopped
>> 4 cups water
>> 1 Tbsp salt
>> 1/8 tsp white pepper

> Serves twelve?

If you're not very hungry. We had six generous servings. If you serve
everyone about 8 ounces, you could serve 8 with this.

--
Mike
http://www.facebook.com/groups/mikes.place.bar/
http://forums.delphiforums.com/mikes_place1/start
My Amazon.com author page: http://tinyurl.com/695lgym
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 15, 2:32*pm, Mike Muth > wrote:
> Some friends who just came back from mission work in Brazil shared this
> with us.
>
> Sopa de Cenoura (Carrot Soup) - a Portuguese Recipe
>
> 4 Tbsp olive oil
> 1 small onion
> 1/4 cup chopped tomato
> 1 clove garlic
> 1 pound carrots
> 1 medium white potato
> 1 cup rutabaga, chopped

I can't picture rutabaga as a tropical vegetable. Even in California,
they grow more like fat carrots than nice globes from, say, Ontario.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/19/2012 12:40 AM, Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Mike wrote:
>
>> Sopa de Cenoura (Carrot Soup) - a Portuguese Recipe
>>
>> 4 Tbsp olive oil
>> 1 small onion
>> 1/4 cup chopped tomato
>> 1 clove garlic
>> 1 pound carrots
>> 1 medium white potato
>> 1 cup rutabaga, chopped
>> 4 cups water
>> 1 Tbsp salt
>> 1/8 tsp white pepper

> Serves twelve?
>
> Bob

Only if it's served in thimbles. There is only 4 cups of liquid.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

spamtrap1888 > wrote:

<snip>

> I can't picture rutabaga as a tropical vegetable. Even in California,
> they grow more like fat carrots than nice globes from, say, Ontario.

Portugal is far from a tropical country. It gets bloody cold there in the
winter, even though Portugal is one of the warmest countries in Europe.
That's an average, though. Away from the coast, the temps drop off.

Southern Portugal has a subtropical climate. Northern Portugal averages 6°
C less. Some of Portugal is classified as "Cold semi-arid" climate.

As for Brazil, wiki says this:

"According to the Köppen system, Brazil hosts five major climatic subtypes:
equatorial, tropical, semiarid, highland tropical, temperate, and
subtropical. The different climatic conditions produce environments ranging
from equatorial rainforests in the north and semiarid deserts in the
northeast, to temperate coniferous forests in the south and tropical
savannas in central Brazil."

One of our mission stations is in a temperate zone in the interior.

--
Mike
http://www.facebook.com/groups/mikes.place.bar/
http://forums.delphiforums.com/mikes_place1/start
My Amazon.com author page: http://tinyurl.com/695lgym
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria wrote:

> On 1/19/2012 12:40 AM, Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>> Mike wrote:
>>
>>> Sopa de Cenoura (Carrot Soup) - a Portuguese Recipe
>>>
>>> 4 Tbsp olive oil
>>> 1 small onion
>>> 1/4 cup chopped tomato
>>> 1 clove garlic
>>> 1 pound carrots
>>> 1 medium white potato
>>> 1 cup rutabaga, chopped
>>> 4 cups water
>>> 1 Tbsp salt
>>> 1/8 tsp white pepper

>> Serves twelve?
>>

> Only if it's served in thimbles. There is only 4 cups of liquid.

There is only 4 cups of water *added* to an entire pound of carrots,
plus a rutabaga, plus a potato, plus (you get the idea). That's got to
amount to a large volume in sum. Mike said that he ended up with about a
gallon (eight 8-ounce servings) of soup.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

virtualgoth > wrote:

> Gloria wrote:

>>> Serves twelve?
>>>

>> Only if it's served in thimbles. There is only 4 cups of liquid.

> There is only 4 cups of water *added* to an entire pound of carrots,
> plus a rutabaga, plus a potato, plus (you get the idea). That's got to
> amount to a large volume in sum. Mike said that he ended up with about a
> gallon (eight 8-ounce servings) of soup.

Much of that volume is not liquid. Some liquid was from the vegetables
themselves. I'd say that there was a *little* more liquid than when I
started.

8 cups is not a gallon. It's only 2 quarts (1/2 gallon).

--
Mike
http://www.facebook.com/groups/mikes.place.bar/
http://forums.delphiforums.com/mikes_place1/start
My Amazon.com author page: http://tinyurl.com/695lgym
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mike wrote:

>>> Only if it's served in thimbles. There is only 4 cups of liquid.

>> There is only 4 cups of water *added* to an entire pound of carrots,
>> plus a rutabaga, plus a potato, plus (you get the idea). That's got to
>> amount to a large volume in sum. Mike said that he ended up with about a
>> gallon (eight 8-ounce servings) of soup.

> Much of that volume is not liquid. Some liquid was from the vegetables
> themselves. I'd say that there was a *little* more liquid than when I
> started.

But the solids are also part of the soup; the volume of the soup
includes both the solid and the liquid components.

> 8 cups is not a gallon. It's only 2 quarts (1/2 gallon).

D'OH! This is what happens when I post hastily.

Bob