Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Tetra-Pak stock/broth and freezing...

We use those 946 ml tetra-pak broth boxes. Chicken, Beef and Veggie.
There are 4 cups in each box but we find that we use mostly 1 or 2
cups per recipe.

So we freeze the remainder for another time.

However I notice the packages say DO NOT FREEZE. The manufacturer
prefers that leftover broth be refridgerated for up to 14 days then
discarded. Anyone have any ideas why they don't recommended freezing?

Thanks for any insight.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 14:29:13 -0500, Apollyon > wrote:

> We use those 946 ml tetra-pak broth boxes. Chicken, Beef and Veggie.
> There are 4 cups in each box but we find that we use mostly 1 or 2
> cups per recipe.
>
> So we freeze the remainder for another time.
>
> However I notice the packages say DO NOT FREEZE. The manufacturer
> prefers that leftover broth be refridgerated for up to 14 days then
> discarded. Anyone have any ideas why they don't recommended freezing?
>
> Thanks for any insight.

Remember you're thinking of using some and freezing the rest, so maybe
they don't like all that air in the package. You could put it in a
one quart Zip Lock baggie and squeeze out the air before you freeze
it. Don't forget to mark the package with indelible pen first, so
you'll know what's inside.
--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/15/2012 4:49 PM, sf wrote:
> Remember you're thinking of using some and freezing the rest, so maybe
> they don't like all that air in the package. You could put it in a
> one quart Zip Lock baggie and squeeze out the air before you freeze
> it. Don't forget to mark the package with indelible pen first, so
> you'll know what's inside.

I was thinking along the same lines. It may be that the packaging itself
doesn't freeze well (either there is too much air in a partial
container, or the breached seals don't stop air movement in and out of
the packaging anymore, or the packaging is prone to rupture as the
freezing contents expand). Otherwise, there is no reason to not freeze
the stock that I can come up with. Move the left overs into a
freezer-safe, left over-appropriate container, and freeze away!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 17:51:45 -0700
Pennyaline > wrote:

> On 1/15/2012 4:49 PM, sf wrote:
> > Remember you're thinking of using some and freezing the rest, so
> > maybe they don't like all that air in the package. You could put
> > it in a one quart Zip Lock baggie and squeeze out the air before
> > you freeze it. Don't forget to mark the package with indelible pen
> > first, so you'll know what's inside.

> I was thinking along the same lines. It may be that the packaging
> itself doesn't freeze well (either there is too much air in a partial
> container, or the breached seals don't stop air movement in and out
> of the packaging anymore, or the packaging is prone to rupture as the
> freezing contents expand). Otherwise, there is no reason to not
> freeze the stock that I can come up with. Move the left overs into a
> freezer-safe, left over-appropriate container, and freeze away!

I can buy the air movement theory except that the stock manufacutuer
recommends refrigeration of unused portions for up to 14 days, so you
could keep 1/2 cup (1/8 of original volume) and 7 1/2 cups of air in the
package for a couple of weeks in the fridge.

Tetra-pak has 4 layers of packing correct? maybe one of the layers
gets ruined by freezing. Perhaps the tetra-pak packaging is
susceptible to punctures in the freezer?

I'm very tempted to phone the broth manufacturer tomorrow. Afterall
the letters are in bold DO NOT FREEZE.

The reason I'm curious is we use this type of stock alot in our cooking
and our baby is about to start eating solid food so I wanna make sure
freezing of this stuff won't spoil the broth and cause some issues with
the wee'un

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 14:29:13 -0500, Apollyon > wrote:

>We use those 946 ml tetra-pak broth boxes. Chicken, Beef and Veggie.
>There are 4 cups in each box but we find that we use mostly 1 or 2
>cups per recipe.
>
>So we freeze the remainder for another time.
>
>However I notice the packages say DO NOT FREEZE. The manufacturer
>prefers that leftover broth be refridgerated for up to 14 days then
>discarded. Anyone have any ideas why they don't recommended freezing?
>
>Thanks for any insight.

Do they mean "do not freeze" a new full container or does it mean a
partial container. I can buy the do not freeze a full container since
the expansion would probably split the box.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Apollyon" > wrote in message
> We use those 946 ml tetra-pak broth boxes. Chicken, Beef and Veggie.
> There are 4 cups in each box but we find that we use mostly 1 or 2
> cups per recipe.
>
> So we freeze the remainder for another time.
>
> However I notice the packages say DO NOT FREEZE. The manufacturer
> prefers that leftover broth be refridgerated for up to 14 days then
> discarded. Anyone have any ideas why they don't recommended freezing?

Silly question. Of course they don't recommend freezing it. They want you
to run out and buy another box of broth every 14 days.

Jill