Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Why the chain?

It looks like a serving container for jam,
but why the chain for raising the lid?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140682310442
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> It looks like a serving container for jam,
> but why the chain for raising the lid?
>
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/140682310442

Buy it and take it to the Antiques Roadshow. I find it amusing people will
list things like this (for $75, no less!) and they don't even know what it
is. There's a spoon attached, so perhaps it's a pot for jam. Or caviar.
Why the chain? No clue.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> It looks like a serving container for jam,
> but why the chain for raising the lid?
>
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/140682310442

Probably because the lid get hot when it's being used. My guess is
that hot coals get loaded under the plate.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 22:13:44 -0800, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

>It looks like a serving container for jam,
>but why the chain for raising the lid?
>
>http://www.ebay.com/itm/140682310442

Looks like the thing they use for burning incense in church. If that
is the case, the chain is because the container would be hot.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>It looks like a serving container for jam,
>but why the chain for raising the lid?
>
>http://www.ebay.com/itm/140682310442

So you don't burn your fingers? I'd guess that it is a chafing dish
of some sort-- holes in the bottom to let heat pass through, and a
handle to raise the chain to the 'serving' position.

Jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 15/01/12 04:59, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 22:13:44 -0800, Mark >
> wrote:
>
>> It looks like a serving container for jam,
>> but why the chain for raising the lid?
>>
>> http://www.ebay.com/itm/140682310442

> Looks like the thing they use for burning incense in church. If that
> is the case, the chain is because the container would be hot.

Aboslutely correct. It is a censer, for burning frankincense.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 07:12:11 -0800, Feranija
> wrote:

>On 15/01/12 04:59, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 22:13:44 -0800, Mark >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> It looks like a serving container for jam,
>>> but why the chain for raising the lid?
>>>
>>> http://www.ebay.com/itm/140682310442

>> Looks like the thing they use for burning incense in church. If that
>> is the case, the chain is because the container would be hot.

>Aboslutely correct. It is a censer, for burning frankincense.

Is it missing a piece-- or does frankincense come in big chunks that
wouldn't go through the holes in the bottom?

And you burn it with the lid up? it doesn't appear to have holes in
the top for the smell to go through--

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>It looks like a serving container for jam,
>but why the chain for raising the lid?
>
>http://www.ebay.com/itm/140682310442

Could be prevent the lid from staining the table linen.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 07:12:11 -0800, Feranija
> wrote:

>On 15/01/12 04:59, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 22:13:44 -0800, Mark >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> It looks like a serving container for jam,
>>> but why the chain for raising the lid?
>>>
>>> http://www.ebay.com/itm/140682310442

>> Looks like the thing they use for burning incense in church. If that
>> is the case, the chain is because the container would be hot.

>Aboslutely correct. It is a censer, for burning frankincense.

As a side note, I recently read that frankincense is becoming in short
supply. The trees that is comes from are dying off.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 15/01/12 09:15, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 07:12:11 -0800, Feranija wrote:
>
>> On 15/01/12 04:59, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> Looks like the thing they use for burning incense in church. If that
>>> is the case, the chain is because the container would be hot.

>> Aboslutely correct. It is a censer, for burning frankincense.

> So why the serving spoon on the front?

For the same reason as in this one, that's an English censer, to
spoon the frankincense, not to grab the incense by fingers like
uncivilized barbarians on the continent:
http://prayerfoundation.org/dailyoffice/incense.htm

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 15/01/12 07:47, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 07:12:11 -0800, Feranija
> > wrote:
>
>> On 15/01/12 04:59, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> Looks like the thing they use for burning incense in church. If that
>>> is the case, the chain is because the container would be hot.

>> Aboslutely correct. It is a censer, for burning frankincense.

> Is it missing a piece-- or does frankincense come in big chunks that
> wouldn't go through the holes in the bottom?

Frankincense can come in biger or smaller chunks. it goes down in the
lower pot (oven), to be burned on the coal.

> And you burn it with the lid up? it doesn't appear to have holes in
> the top for the smell to go through--

It doesn't need any holes. They are two different styles of censers:
altar censers normally have holes, and the other ones are the
swinging ones.
By each swing, chain(s) raises the lid a bit and release the smoke
acummulated in the spheric lid.
Like in this one http://www.istok.net/censer-16.html it's the same
principle.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 15, 3:53*am, Andy > wrote:
> dsi1 > wrote:
> > Probably because the lid get hot when it's being used. My guess is
> > that hot coals get loaded under the plate.

> The lever on top raises the top. as seen closed then open, on the right
> side so something IS obviously making it too hot to handle as you noted.
>
> Then they introduce that yellow wood tube with a narrow coil neck but the
> it extends out of the picture.
>
> I don't think coals would be something to fire it at a dining table but
> back in the day... I dunno.
>
> I think it's missing an internal part, a bowl or pan to use the spoon to
> serve from.
>
> With the flowers and the honeycomb dots in the squares maybe it's a honey
> warmer?
>
> Because of it's ornate and detailed engraving it was almost certainly for
> a well to do family even if a little Rube Goldberg in function. Certainly
> a beautiful piece!
>
> It looks like it hasn't been very carefully polished.
>
> It could be a sleeper item to bid on, probably worth $100s or $1,000s.
> I'll check back and see what it sold for.
>
> Another intriguing item for sure!
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

Andy, your honey warmer idea is brilliant- never would have gone there!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 15, 1:53*am, Andy > wrote:
> dsi1 > wrote:
> > Probably because the lid get hot when it's being used. My guess is
> > that hot coals get loaded under the plate.

> The lever on top raises the top. as seen closed then open, on the right
> side so something IS obviously making it too hot to handle as you noted.
>
> Then they introduce that yellow wood tube with a narrow coil neck but the
> it extends out of the picture.
>
> I don't think coals would be something to fire it at a dining table but
> back in the day... I dunno.
>
> I think it's missing an internal part, a bowl or pan to use the spoon to
> serve from.
>
> With the flowers and the honeycomb dots in the squares maybe it's a honey
> warmer?
>
> Because of it's ornate and detailed engraving it was almost certainly for
> a well to do family even if a little Rube Goldberg in function. Certainly
> a beautiful piece!
>
> It looks like it hasn't been very carefully polished.
>
> It could be a sleeper item to bid on, probably worth $100s or $1,000s.
> I'll check back and see what it sold for.
>
> Another intriguing item for sure!
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

You're probably right about warming honey. Those rich guys sure knew
how to live in the most contrived way possible.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 22:13:44 -0800, Mark Thorson >
> wrote:
>
> >It looks like a serving container for jam,
> >but why the chain for raising the lid?
> >
> >http://www.ebay.com/itm/140682310442

> Looks like the thing they use for burning incense in church. If that
> is the case, the chain is because the container would be hot.

Thanks for figuring it out. That didn't
occur to me. I had been thinking along
the lines that there might be live animals
in there that had to be kept confined when
not being served so they wouldn't crawl
away, but that seemed so absurd that I
didn't mention it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> It could be a sleeper item to bid on, probably worth $100s or $1,000s.
> I'll check back and see what it sold for.

The seller changed the listing. He's now
calling it a butter dish and raised the
starting bid from $75 to $150. I was going
to tell him what it is, but now feel
disinclined to. I wasn't going to bid,
but the guy seems a bit greedy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
>Andy wrote:
>>
>> It could be a sleeper item to bid on, probably worth $100s or $1,000s.
>> I'll check back and see what it sold for.

>The seller changed the listing. He's now
>calling it a butter dish and raised the
>starting bid from $75 to $150. I was going
>to tell him what it is, but now feel
>disinclined to. I wasn't going to bid,
>but the guy seems a bit greedy.

Oh, don't be like that... tell him it's a nineteenth century bawdy
house ejaculate spitoon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 15, 7:08*pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> Andy wrote:
>
> > It could be a sleeper item to bid on, probably worth $100s or $1,000s.
> > I'll check back and see what it sold for.

> The seller changed the listing. *He's now
> calling it a butter dish and raised the
> starting bid from $75 to $150. *I was going
> to tell him what it is, but now feel
> disinclined to. *I wasn't going to bid,
> but the guy seems a bit greedy.

You think HE'S greedy??!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROCKFORD-SIL...577990 007237

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 15, 11:43*am, Andy > wrote:
> dsi1 > wrote:

> >> The lever on top raises the top. as seen closed then open, on the
> >> right side so something IS obviously making it too hot to handle as
> >> you noted.

> >> Then they introduce that yellow wood tube with a narrow coil neck but
> >> the it extends out of the picture.

> >> I don't think coals would be something to fire it at a dining table
> >> but back in the day... I dunno.

> >> I think it's missing an internal part, a bowl or pan to use the spoon
> >> to serve from.

> >> With the flowers and the honeycomb dots in the squares maybe it's a
> >> honey warmer?

> >> Because of it's ornate and detailed engraving it was almost certainly
> >> for a well to do family even if a little Rube Goldberg in function.
> >> Certainly a beautiful piece!

> >> It looks like it hasn't been very carefully polished.

> >> It could be a sleeper item to bid on, probably worth $100s or
> >> $1,000s. I'll check back and see what it sold for.

> >> Another intriguing item for sure!

> >> Best,

> >> Andy

> > You're probably right about warming honey. Those rich guys sure knew
> > how to live in the most contrived way possible.

> dsi1,
>
> I gave that wood tube (photo 3) some more thought.
>
> I wonder if there was a little hand bellows that forced oxygen into the
> bottom compartment that also forced the incense smoke up the yellow
> (pine?) spiral wood chimney channel into smoke spurts so it came out
> fragrant but cool so as not to scald worshippers?!
>
> Or not!
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

Now it's a butter dish, ice goes underneath. Did the Victorians even
have ice?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 > wrote:

-snip-

>Now it's a butter dish, ice goes underneath. Did the Victorians even
>have ice?

We've been harvesting for centuries. But I'm not buying butter
dish, either.

The chain/lever deal indicates to me that the top got too hot to
touch.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 16, 3:11*am, dsi1 > wrote:
> On Jan 15, 11:43*am, Andy > wrote:
>

> > dsi1 > wrote:

> > > You're probably right about warming honey. Those rich guys sure knew
> > > how to live in the most contrived way possible.

> > dsi1,

> > I gave that wood tube (photo 3) some more thought.

> > I wonder if there was a little hand bellows that forced oxygen into the
> > bottom compartment that also forced the incense smoke up the yellow
> > (pine?) spiral wood chimney channel into smoke spurts so it came out
> > fragrant but cool so as not to scald worshippers?!

> > Or not!

> > Best,

> > Andy

> Now it's a butter dish, ice goes underneath. Did the Victorians even
> have ice?

Yes, but it was a rare commodity. I can't remember how they produced
and transported it but if you Google and Wikipedia around a bit I'll
bet you can find out.

It's a big ornate thing, I'll give 'em that!

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 07:14:25 -0500, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

>dsi1 > wrote:
>
>-snip-
>>
>>Now it's a butter dish, ice goes underneath. Did the Victorians even
>>have ice?

>We've been harvesting for centuries.

That should be- "We've been harvesting *ice*. . . "

This is a wiki-quote so cautions apply-- but
"In 400 BC Iran, Persian engineers had already mastered the technique
of storing ice in the middle of summer in the desert. "
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice#Ice_harvesting

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mark Thorson > wrote:

> It looks like a serving container for jam,
> but why the chain for raising the lid?
>
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/140682310442

Maybe for accessing the butter without putting the lid on the table.
<shrugs>
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller September 5, 2011