Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default LG's "Smart Fridge"

As someone hearabouts would say, "Well, I nevah!" A refrigerator that
suggests recipes based on what's inside it? <staggering to the sofa to
lie down>

http://www.cnbc.com/id/45974891?slide=2

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> As someone hearabouts would say, "Well, I nevah!" A refrigerator that
> suggests recipes based on what's inside it? <staggering to the sofa to
> lie down>
>
> http://www.cnbc.com/id/45974891?slide=2
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

Sounds as tiresome as having kids.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
> As someone hearabouts would say, "Well, I nevah!" A refrigerator that
> suggests recipes based on what's inside it? <staggering to the sofa to
> lie down>
>
> http://www.cnbc.com/id/45974891?slide=2

when they wifi link that to your bathroom scale, they will really have
something!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
> As someone hearabouts would say, "Well, I nevah!" A refrigerator that
> suggests recipes based on what's inside it? <staggering to the sofa to
> lie down>
>
> http://www.cnbc.com/id/45974891?slide=2
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

Oh, that's funny!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Pulliam Turd wrote:

>As someone hearabouts would say, "Well, I nevah!" A refrigerator that
>suggests recipes based on what's inside it? <staggering to the sofa to
>lie down>
>
>http://www.cnbc.com/id/45974891?slide=2

Long overdue... the Kelvinator Keyboard Kook App.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pico Rico wrote:

> "Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
> > As someone hearabouts would say, "Well, I nevah!" A refrigerator that
> > suggests recipes based on what's inside it? <staggering to the sofa to
> > lie down>
> >
> > http://www.cnbc.com/id/45974891?slide=2

> when they wifi link that to your bathroom scale, they will really have
> something!

Add an electronic lock, and you'll have all the pieces.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 15/01/2012 9:46 AM, Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
> As someone hearabouts would say, "Well, I nevah!" A refrigerator that
> suggests recipes based on what's inside it?<staggering to the sofa to
> lie down>
>
> http://www.cnbc.com/id/45974891?slide=2
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
>
> --
>
> To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"

I really don't want to be nagged by a fridge, whatever it might be
suggesting. My wife knows what's in the fridge - after all, she put it
there. She also knows how to make best use of it - because she made the
buying decisions in the first place. No doubt her buying decisions were
based on what she wanted to cook up - and she doesn't need recipes for
that either.

Besides, the fridge is not that smart - it needs to be told what is in
the fridge. Call me when the fridge instantly knows what my wife or I
put in the fridge without any further interaction from us and also knows
how much gets used each time either my wife or I raid the fridge, again
without any further interaction from us. May as well be able to adjust
the temperature of any individual part the fridge to suit any and all
items therein - as well as letting us know when something is too old or
going off. Then, and only then, will I call it smart.

Next they'll have the fridge communicating with the stove and microwave
and getting meals pre-prepared for us. Wait a minute, they have a
version of that already - home delivered take away. I think I'll pass!

--

Krypsis
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Giusi" > wrote in message

> "Terry Pulliam Burd" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> As someone hearabouts would say, "Well, I nevah!" A refrigerator that
>> suggests recipes based on what's inside it? <staggering to the sofa to
>> lie down>
>>
>> http://www.cnbc.com/id/45974891?slide=2
>>
>> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

> Sounds as tiresome as having kids.

lol
--
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 15, 12:05*am, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> Pico Rico wrote:
>
> > "Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
> .. .
> > > As someone hearabouts would say, "Well, I nevah!" *A refrigerator that
> > > suggests recipes based on what's inside it? <staggering to the sofa to
> > > lie down>

> > >http://www.cnbc.com/id/45974891?slide=2

> > when they wifi link that to your bathroom scale, they will really have
> > something!

> Add an electronic lock, and you'll have all the pieces.

They need to put the scale directly in front of the fridge, so your
weight can be read while you are standing in front of the fridge
thinking of pigging out again, and your smart fridge can then analyze
your current weight *and* the contents of the fridge, thus suggesting
what you *should* eat! Nanny fridge!! ;-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 06:39:30 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> wrote:

>On Jan 15, 12:05*am, Mark Thorson > wrote:
>> Pico Rico wrote:
>>
>> > "Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
>> .. .

>> > when they wifi link that to your bathroom scale, they will really have
>> > something!

>> Add an electronic lock, and you'll have all the pieces.

>They need to put the scale directly in front of the fridge, so your
>weight can be read while you are standing in front of the fridge
>thinking of pigging out again, and your smart fridge can then analyze
>your current weight *and* the contents of the fridge, thus suggesting
>what you *should* eat! Nanny fridge!! ;-)

Simply tape a mirror to your fridge door.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 15, 12:05*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 06:39:30 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
>

> > wrote:

> >> .. .

> >> Add an electronic lock, and you'll have all the pieces.

> >They need to put the scale directly in front of the fridge, so your
> >weight can be read while you are standing in front of the fridge
> >thinking of pigging out again, and your smart fridge can then analyze
> >your current weight *and* the contents of the fridge, *thus suggesting
> >what you *should* eat! Nanny fridge!! ;-)

> Simply tape a mirror to your fridge door.

Very 19th Century solution, Sheldon!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:

> On Jan 15, 12:05 pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> > Simply tape a mirror to your fridge door.

> Very 19th Century solution, Sheldon!

Mirrows don't lie. I'm taking all of mine out to the dumpster in a few
minutes!

;()
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 14, 12:46*pm, Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:
> As someone hearabouts would say, "Well, I nevah!" *A refrigerator that
> suggests recipes based on what's inside it? <staggering to the sofa to
> lie down>
>
> http://www.cnbc.com/id/45974891?slide=2
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
>
> --
>
> To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"

I'd like them to stick webcams inside so I can see what's in there
through the Internet. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:
>John Kuthe wrote:
>> Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> > Simply tape a mirror to your fridge door.

>> Very 19th Century solution, Sheldon!

>Mirrows don't lie. I'm taking all of mine out to the dumpster in a few
>minutes!
>
>;()

I have a full length mirror mounted on the inside of my bathroom door,
amazing how that prevents opening the fridge door. I don't believe in
nor do I subscribe to the fercocktah fad diets... eat everything in
moderation and don't be a couch potato. Lately I've become a big fan
of Mueseli, helps curb the appetite from craving junk foods and a
small amount (1/2 cup) is very filling. This is a good buy:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i01_details
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> John Kuthe wrote:
> >
> > On Jan 15, 12:05 pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> > > Simply tape a mirror to your fridge door.

> > Very 19th Century solution, Sheldon!

> Mirrows don't lie. I'm taking all of mine out to the dumpster in a few
> minutes!

The mirror for the fridge should be an
electronic camera and display, with software
that morphs you to add 20 pounds.

Of course, you wouldn't sell many of those.
You'd sell a lot more of the dresser mirror
that takes off 20 pounds and 10 years and
increases women's busy size. Gotta be careful
to get the software right so it doesn't do
the same thing to men!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
> As someone hearabouts would say, "Well, I nevah!" A refrigerator that
> suggests recipes based on what's inside it? <staggering to the sofa to
> lie down>
>
> http://www.cnbc.com/id/45974891?slide=2
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
>
> --

I REALLY don't like "smart" devices. I can only think of the
smart windshield wipers on some of my cars. They would be totally
wrong, if not beserk. I keep imagining such malfunctions in other
contexts.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

gloria p wrote:
> On 1/14/2012 3:46 PM, Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
>> As someone hearabouts would say, "Well, I nevah!" A refrigerator that
>> suggests recipes based on what's inside it?<staggering to the sofa to
>> lie down>
>>
>> http://www.cnbc.com/id/45974891?slide=2
>>

> Does that mean you have to enter the data every time you put something
> in the fridge or take something out?
>
> Does that make my three bookcases full of cookbooks obsolete? Ohno!!!!!
>
> gloria p

Never!

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/15/2012 10:29 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 10:58:35 -0800 (PST), >
> wrote:
>
>> On Jan 14, 12:46 pm, Terry Pulliam > wrote:
>>> As someone hearabouts would say, "Well, I nevah!" A refrigerator that
>>> suggests recipes based on what's inside it?<staggering to the sofa to
>>> lie down>
>>>
>>> http://www.cnbc.com/id/45974891?slide=2
>>>
>>> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"

>> I'd like them to stick webcams inside so I can see what's in there
>> through the Internet. :-)

> I like that recipe suggestion thing, but it probably needs to read bar
> codes. Yours isn't a bad idea either - if Alton Brown can have a
> camera inside his refrigerator, we can too!

I used to see web cams in refrigerators over a decade ago. Mostly it was
done by kooky Scandinavian people. :-)

What I'd also like is a WiFi connected refrigerator that allows
monitoring the internal temperatures and which traps error codes on the
subsystems. It sounds like a wacky idea but I think it would greatly
simplify diagnosing problems without adding much to the cost of a
computerized refrigerator.

As it goes, it seems that the major appliance business has been pretty
much surrendered to the Koreans. How the heck did this ever happen?
Expect the same with their cars. OTOH, my wife bought a big jar of
Korean style kim chee which I had with some stew. Gosh, that was good.
On the whole, it's pretty much a wash with this Korean thing. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gloria p" > wrote in message
> On 1/14/2012 3:46 PM, Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
>> As someone hearabouts would say, "Well, I nevah!" A refrigerator that
>> suggests recipes based on what's inside it?<staggering to the sofa to
>> lie down>
>>
>> http://www.cnbc.com/id/45974891?slide=2
>>

> Does that mean you have to enter the data every time you put something in
> the fridge or take something out?
>
> Does that make my three bookcases full of cookbooks obsolete? Ohno!!!!!
>
> gloria p

I don't have three bookcases but I have at least four shelves! Who wants a
refigerator where you have to constantly update the contents list?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

> The repair part for my nine year old Whirpool was on the truck and the
> guy had it running in less than an hour. That would not have happened
> with a 15 thousand dollar fridge.

Good deal but your last sentence is very disturbing.
A $15,000 fridge? Do they even make such a heinous thing?
WTH? "A fool and his money soon part?"

Gary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/21/2012 10:42 AM, Gary wrote:
> Lou Decruss wrote:
>>
>> The repair part for my nine year old Whirpool was on the truck and the
>> guy had it running in less than an hour. That would not have happened
>> with a 15 thousand dollar fridge.

> Good deal but your last sentence is very disturbing.
> A $15,000 fridge? Do they even make such a heinous thing?
> WTH? "A fool and his money soon part?"
>
> Gary

$15,000 is an exaggeration. I have seen $6,000 kim chee refrigerators
but my guess is that the sweet spot for an internet-ready refrigerator
would be $1700 to $2200.

Lately, I've been taking to eating raisin bran cereal. I poured myself a
custard cup full and when I went get the milk, I was surprised to see it
had only a thin film of milk on the bottom. Luckily, it takes very
little milk to fill a custard cup full of raisin bran. Still, this is a
shame because I just went to the market yesterday. If I had a camera in
the refrigerator, I could have checked that in the store. That's the
breaks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 10:19:34 -0500 in rec.food.cooking, Ed Pawlowski
> wrote,
>Who repairs these fancy computerized refrigerators? You can no longer
>rely on just a refrigeration guy or an electronics tech to do the job.
>People trained in both fields can be difficult to find but is becoming
>necessary.

For the prices mentioned in this thread they could send out the
refrigeration guy plus the electronics tech together.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 15:42:00 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:
>>
>> The repair part for my nine year old Whirpool was on the truck and the
>> guy had it running in less than an hour. That would not have happened
>> with a 15 thousand dollar fridge.

>Good deal but your last sentence is very disturbing.
>A $15,000 fridge? Do they even make such a heinous thing?
>WTH? "A fool and his money soon part?"

There's nothing wrong with having nice stuff if you can afford it.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

> repaired. Without telling him that I asked what was the worst brand
> to buy and he instantly said LG. The electronics fail and even in a
> little city like Chicago there's not much parts inventory. So even if
> you still have a warrantee you might still have to wait for a part
> from China.

LG is Korean company.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 13:40:10 -0800, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:
>>
>> repaired. Without telling him that I asked what was the worst brand
>> to buy and he instantly said LG. The electronics fail and even in a
>> little city like Chicago there's not much parts inventory. So even if
>> you still have a warrantee you might still have to wait for a part
>> from China.

>LG is Korean company.

Is shipping from Korea faster?

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/22/2012 11:40 AM, Mark Thorson wrote:
> Lou Decruss wrote:
>>
>> repaired. Without telling him that I asked what was the worst brand
>> to buy and he instantly said LG. The electronics fail and even in a
>> little city like Chicago there's not much parts inventory. So even if
>> you still have a warrantee you might still have to wait for a part
>> from China.

> LG is Korean company.

Scary, ain't it? I drive a Hyundai, my appliances are all Samsung. Our
cell phones are Samsung and HTC. Heck, even my mother-in-law is Korean.
I didn't plan it out that way, it just happened...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 15, 1:27*pm, Gary > wrote:
> John Kuthe wrote:
>
> > On Jan 15, 12:05 pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> > > Simply tape a mirror to your fridge door.

> > Very 19th Century solution, Sheldon!

> Mirrows don't lie. I'm taking all of mine out to the dumpster in a few
> minutes!
>
> ;()

Gee, for a sec I thought you typed 'minnows'.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 22, 11:50*am, dsi1 > wrote:
> On 1/22/2012 11:40 AM, Mark Thorson wrote:
>
> > Lou Decruss wrote:

> >> repaired. *Without telling him that I asked what was the worst brand
> >> to buy and he instantly said LG. *The electronics fail and even in a
> >> little city like Chicago there's not much parts inventory. *So even if
> >> you still have a warrantee you might still have to wait for a part
> >> from China.

> > LG is Korean company.

> Scary, ain't it? I drive a Hyundai, my appliances are all Samsung. Our
> cell phones are Samsung and HTC. Heck, even my mother-in-law is Korean.
> I didn't plan it out that way, it just happened...

Sorry, HTC is a Taiwanese company. I must be eating too much kim chee.

Gong Hee Fat Choy!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 11:36:31 -1000, dsi1 > wrote:

>You're just way too negative. As far as I know, appliance parts are
>quite reasonable in price. The reality is that there's not that many
>proprietary parts. Parts have applications in a wide range of models.
>This probably accounts for the prices being reasonable in price.
>
>As far as you whining about new technology, that ain't gonna change the
>progression of things. It never does.

I embrace new technology when it makes sense. As mentioned, I have an
ice cube and water dispenser on my fridge. That, however, is as much
technology as a refrigerator really needs. It is supposed to keep
things cold and make them accessible.

Do you really need Wi-Fi capability?
http://www.samsung.com/us/topic/apps-on-your-fridge

My house has plenty of TV's, computers, one Smart phone, and a couple
of radios. I don't need my refrigerator giving me weather updates. I
wonder though, is the accuracy of the weather report covered under
warranty?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/22/2012 5:04 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 11:36:31 -1000, > wrote:
>

>> You're just way too negative. As far as I know, appliance parts are
>> quite reasonable in price. The reality is that there's not that many
>> proprietary parts. Parts have applications in a wide range of models.
>> This probably accounts for the prices being reasonable in price.
>>
>> As far as you whining about new technology, that ain't gonna change the
>> progression of things. It never does.

> I embrace new technology when it makes sense. As mentioned, I have an
> ice cube and water dispenser on my fridge. That, however, is as much
> technology as a refrigerator really needs. It is supposed to keep
> things cold and make them accessible.

I don't know if the new refrigerators make much sense or not. I suppose
that only thing that matters is if it sells. I like the idea of remote
monitoring of the systems and remote diagnostics.

> Do you really need Wi-Fi capability?
> http://www.samsung.com/us/topic/apps-on-your-fridge
>
> My house has plenty of TV's, computers, one Smart phone, and a couple
> of radios. I don't need my refrigerator giving me weather updates. I
> wonder though, is the accuracy of the weather report covered under
> warranty?

I was working on my Korean Kar's brakes yesterday and was delighted to
see that the brake caliper had the word "mando" cast on it. Mandoos are
Korean potstickers.

As is our custom, I bought my friend who was assisting dinner. He's
Chinese and it was Chinese new year's eve so we went to find him a plate
of monk's food AKA jai, which is a traditional new years dish. It's a
pretty funky vegetarian stew. I had the standard Chinese dinner plate.
We also had good luck gau and I tipped the restaurant extra for good
luck. I ain't taking no chances this year...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> Scary, ain't it? I drive a Hyundai, my appliances are all Samsung. Our
> cell phones are Samsung and HTC. Heck, even my mother-in-law is Korean.
> I didn't plan it out that way, it just happened...

My Ronco rotissiere was made in Korea and
still works great despite years of hard use.
It was built like appliances used to be.
I'm very pleased with it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/23/2012 2:25 PM, Mark Thorson wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> Scary, ain't it? I drive a Hyundai, my appliances are all Samsung. Our
>> cell phones are Samsung and HTC. Heck, even my mother-in-law is Korean.
>> I didn't plan it out that way, it just happened...

> My Ronco rotissiere was made in Korea and
> still works great despite years of hard use.
> It was built like appliances used to be.
> I'm very pleased with it.

The Koreans are something else. They're gonna give everybody a run for
their money. Companies like Toyota and Sony and Apple. The South Koreans
are the most digitally connected culture in the world.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 22:04:26 -0500 in rec.food.cooking, Ed Pawlowski
> wrote,
>I embrace new technology when it makes sense. As mentioned, I have an
>ice cube and water dispenser on my fridge. That, however, is as much
>technology as a refrigerator really needs. It is supposed to keep
>things cold and make them accessible.

I added a digital thermometer with a display outside the fridge and an
alarm that beeps if the temperature gets too warm. IMHO that is
technology that a refrigerator really needs these days. The thermometer
doesn't need net connectivity in my case, but I can imagine how that
might help somebody else.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 14, 5:46*pm, Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:
> As someone hearabouts would say, "Well, I nevah!" *A refrigerator that
> suggests recipes based on what's inside it? <staggering to the sofa to
> lie down>
>
> http://www.cnbc.com/id/45974891?slide=2

Ridic. Does it tell you when to expect to need the bathroom too after
eating the meal it plans? Where is our freedom of choice going?