FoodBanter.com

-   -   Stevia based sweeteners (Truvia, etc.) (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/414806-re-stevia-based-sweeteners.html)

John Kuthe[_3_] 14-01-2012 03:29 AM

On Jan 13, 8:26*pm, Bryan > wrote:

> Perhaps you've never been very fat. *Congratulations, but anyone who
> drinks cheap vodka is a druggie.
>
> --Bryan

And HOW much was that vodka you bought from S&S with a coupon and got
HOW many bottles for free?

John Kuthe...

Bryan[_6_] 14-01-2012 05:58 PM

On Jan 13, 8:29*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Jan 13, 8:26*pm, Bryan > wrote:
>

> > Perhaps you've never been very fat. *Congratulations, but anyone who
> > drinks cheap vodka is a druggie.

> > --Bryan

> And HOW much was that vodka you bought from S&S with a coupon and got
> HOW many bottles for free?

It wasn't cheap vodka. It just had a remarkably good rebate.
Boru won the gold at the San Francisco World Spirits Competition in
1977, and scored a 92 from Wine Enthusiast (Absolut only got a 90).
http://www.barnonedrinks.com/press/2...s-1st-in-.html

Sheldon drinks Crystal Palace.

> John Kuthe...

--Bryan

John Kuthe[_3_] 14-01-2012 06:23 PM

On Jan 14, 10:58*am, Bryan > wrote:
> On Jan 13, 8:29*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
>
> > On Jan 13, 8:26*pm, Bryan > wrote:

> > > Perhaps you've never been very fat. *Congratulations, but anyone who
> > > drinks cheap vodka is a druggie.

> > > --Bryan

> > And HOW much was that vodka you bought from S&S with a coupon and got
> > HOW many bottles for free?

> It wasn't cheap vodka. *It just had a remarkably good rebate.
> Boru won the gold at the San Francisco World Spirits Competition in
> 1977, and scored a 92 from Wine Enthusiast (Absolut only got a 90).http://www.barnonedrinks.com/press/2...s-1st-in-.html
>
> Sheldon drinks Crystal Palace.

You said cheap, meaning low price. Cheap people strive to pay the
lowest price possible.

And a good Wine Enthusiast in 1977? What have they done lately? That
was 35 years ago.

Sounds like low to marginal quality to me! Not that it takes that much
to get a "high quality" vodka. Everclear diluted to 80 proof would
probably suit any vodka enthusiast perfectly well. A "good" vodka is
just ethanol and water! No color or flavor.

IMHO a quality liquor has an interesting, delicious and complex flavor
as well as the ability to get me really drunk really fast. I said
years and years ago about all those stupid jocks slamming all those
beers that if you wanna get really drunk really fast just hang a bag
of USP ethanol and run a spike into vein!

;-)

John Kuthe...

Gary 14-01-2012 07:17 PM

Bryan wrote:

> On Jan 13, 8:29 pm, John Kuthe wrote:
> > And HOW much was that vodka you bought from S&S with a coupon and got
> > HOW many bottles for free?

> It wasn't cheap vodka.

Cheap vodka will get you to that special place as well a good vodka. That's
assuming you can taste a difference. It all tastes like crap to me.

I worked with a fellow once that had good and cheap vodka. The first drink
was using the good stuff...from there he switched to the cheap stuff.

IMO, if it burns, you shouldn't be drinking it.

Gary

Terry Pulliam Burd[_5_] 14-01-2012 11:01 PM

Stevia based sweeteners (Truvia, etc.)

On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 13:17:29 -0500, Gary > arranged
random neurons and said:

>Bryan wrote:
>>
>> On Jan 13, 8:29 pm, John Kuthe wrote:
>> > And HOW much was that vodka you bought from S&S with a coupon and got
>> > HOW many bottles for free?

>> It wasn't cheap vodka.

>Cheap vodka will get you to that special place as well a good vodka. That's
>assuming you can taste a difference. It all tastes like crap to me.

I like a good vodka, but cannot stand gin. The smell of juniper
berries is just off-putting. As to vodka, although I claim to like a
good martini, my request is always for no vermouth and no garnish,
just straight up vodka, like Grey Goose or Ketel One. Maybe Three
Olives...

>I worked with a fellow once that had good and cheap vodka. The first drink
>was using the good stuff...from there he switched to the cheap stuff.

I'd say by the third drink, you might as well be drinking cheap stuff,
and that goes for about any hard liquor, IMHO, although I wouldn't do
so in public (have the third drink OR drink the cheap stuff). Popov,
Gordon's comes to mind...

>IMO, if it burns, you shouldn't be drinking it.

Or has been run through a 1968 Chrysler's radiator :)

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"

Doug Freyburger 16-01-2012 02:56 AM

Gary wrote:

> Cheap vodka will get you to that special place as well a good vodka. That's
> assuming you can taste a difference. It all tastes like crap to me.

In college we did a blind tasting of vodka shots. No one could tell any
of the top shelf brands apart. No one could tell the discount brands
apart. Only half could tell the top shelf brands from the bottom shelf
brands. Fewer can tell the difference than think they can.

> I worked with a fellow once that had good and cheap vodka. The first drink
> was using the good stuff...from there he switched to the cheap stuff.

Makes sense. Or if you drink very little vodka just get one bottle of
any top shelf brand you can find on sale and use that.

Steve Pope 16-01-2012 03:19 AM

Doug Freyburger > wrote:

>Gary wrote:

>> Cheap vodka will get you to that special place as well a good vodka. That's
>> assuming you can taste a difference. It all tastes like crap to me.

>In college we did a blind tasting of vodka shots. No one could tell any
>of the top shelf brands apart. No one could tell the discount brands
>apart. Only half could tell the top shelf brands from the bottom shelf
>brands. Fewer can tell the difference than think they can.
>
>> I worked with a fellow once that had good and cheap vodka. The first drink
>> was using the good stuff...from there he switched to the cheap stuff.

>Makes sense. Or if you drink very little vodka just get one bottle of
>any top shelf brand you can find on sale and use that.

One possible difference is that some vodkas are cleaner than others.
I once heard an assessment that Ketel One is the cleanest of the
major brands. I personally could agree with this. A couple that I
suspect of being less clean are Tito's and Belvedere. But my
assessments are less than scientific.

As far as taste goes, I do not think there is too much difference
between Ketel One, Stoli, and Grey Goose; whereas Effen is
possibly superior to any of these.

Steve

Bryan[_6_] 16-01-2012 04:16 AM

On Jan 14, 12:17*pm, Gary > wrote:
> Bryan wrote:
>
> > On Jan 13, 8:29 pm, John Kuthe wrote:
> > > And HOW much was that vodka you bought from S&S with a coupon and got
> > > HOW many bottles for free?

> > It wasn't cheap vodka.

> Cheap vodka will get you to that special place as well a good vodka. *That's
> assuming you can taste a difference. *It all tastes like crap to me.
>
> I worked with a fellow once that had good and cheap vodka. The first drink
> was using the good stuff...from there he switched to the cheap stuff.
>
> IMO, if it burns, you shouldn't be drinking it.

I haven't put 80 proof straight into my body in well over 10 years,
and probably never will again. The only alcoholic beverages that I
enjoy the taste of are a few types of high quality beers, and a few
sweet liqueurs like Chambord. Vodka is tolerable when mixed with
water, freshly squeezed lemon or lime, and liquid sucralose.
Milwaukee's Best Light is tolerable when really cold. They are
ethanol delivery vehicles, nothing more. A few drinks in the evening,
and I sleep nicely. If the alcohol buzz came in pill form, I'd be
fine with that.

> Gary

--Bryan

John Kuthe[_3_] 16-01-2012 04:33 AM

On Jan 15, 9:16*pm, Bryan > wrote:
> On Jan 14, 12:17*pm, Gary > wrote:
>
> > Bryan wrote:

> > > It wasn't cheap vodka.

> > Cheap vodka will get you to that special place as well a good vodka. *That's
> > assuming you can taste a difference. *It all tastes like crap to me.

> > I worked with a fellow once that had good and cheap vodka. The first drink
> > was using the good stuff...from there he switched to the cheap stuff.

> > IMO, if it burns, you shouldn't be drinking it.

> I haven't put 80 proof straight into my body in well over 10 years,
> and probably never will again. *The only alcoholic beverages that I
> enjoy the taste of are a few types of high quality beers, and a few
> sweet liqueurs like Chambord. *Vodka is tolerable when mixed with
> water, freshly squeezed lemon or lime, and liquid sucralose.
> Milwaukee's Best Light is tolerable when really cold. *They are
> ethanol delivery vehicles, nothing more. *A few drinks in the evening,
> and I sleep nicely. *If the alcohol buzz came in pill form, I'd be
> fine with that.

Alcohol actually messes with your normal sleep patterns. Yes it's CNS
depressant, but facts are facts.

And I had a Maker's Mark on the rocks a while back (no water, until
the ice melted) and yes it was like WOAH! at first sip, but I like
Maker's! And it was quite nice! Got a bit of a buzz from it too. I
normally don't drink alone (explains why there's a $30 bottle of
whiskey sitting on my desk unopened-Christmas gift!), but I did that
evening and it was pretty cool.

John Kuthe...

Doug Freyburger 16-01-2012 06:20 PM

Steve Pope wrote:
> Doug Freyburger > wrote:
>
>>In college we did a blind tasting of vodka shots. No one could tell any
>>of the top shelf brands apart. No one could tell the discount brands
>>apart. Only half could tell the top shelf brands from the bottom shelf
>>brands. Fewer can tell the difference than think they can.

> As far as taste goes, I do not think there is too much difference
> between Ketel One, Stoli, and Grey Goose; whereas Effen is
> possibly superior to any of these.

Have you ever tried a blind tasting of shots in clean glasses with the
bottles stored over night in the freezer? If you can tell the
difference among those brands in that situation then your tastes are
more refined than mine. We used Finlandia, Aboslut and Stoli from the
Soviet Union back in 1977 or so. I could just barely tell those top
shelf brands from the bottom shelf brands. No way I can tell with any
mixer stronger than a twist of lemon rind.

Steve Pope 16-01-2012 07:25 PM

Doug Freyburger > wrote:
>Steve Pope wrote:
>> Doug Freyburger > wrote:
>>
>>>In college we did a blind tasting of vodka shots. No one could tell any
>>>of the top shelf brands apart. No one could tell the discount brands
>>>apart. Only half could tell the top shelf brands from the bottom shelf
>>>brands. Fewer can tell the difference than think they can.

>> As far as taste goes, I do not think there is too much difference
>> between Ketel One, Stoli, and Grey Goose; whereas Effen is
>> possibly superior to any of these.

>Have you ever tried a blind tasting of shots

No

>in clean glasses with the
>bottles stored over night in the freezer?

Why would that be a necessary part of a blind tasting?

>If you can tell the
>difference among those brands in that situation then your tastes are
>more refined than mine.

I cannot say for sure I could tell them apart in a blind taste test.

>We used Finlandia, Aboslut and Stoli from the
>Soviet Union back in 1977 or so. I could just barely tell those top
>shelf brands from the bottom shelf brands. No way I can tell with any
>mixer stronger than a twist of lemon rind.

Those are all sub-top-shelf brands today. I'm not even sure Ketel One
counts as top-shelf at this point. (Whatever "top-shelf" means,
I'm not certain.)

Steve

Doug Freyburger 16-01-2012 09:09 PM

Steve Pope wrote:
> Doug Freyburger > wrote:
>>Steve Pope wrote:

>>> As far as taste goes, I do not think there is too much difference
>>> between Ketel One, Stoli, and Grey Goose; whereas Effen is
>>> possibly superior to any of these.

>>Have you ever tried a blind tasting of shots

> No
>
>>in clean glasses with the
>>bottles stored over night in the freezer?

> Why would that be a necessary part of a blind tasting?

It's supposed to be the way vodka tastes best. Near the freezing point
for water. Brings out the trace minerals but also accents the fusil
oils or something. After having tried shots at room temperature, shots
from a refridgerated bottle and shots from a bottle kept in the frezer I
agreed that it's best that way.

>>If you can tell the
>>difference among those brands in that situation then your tastes are
>>more refined than mine.

> I cannot say for sure I could tell them apart in a blind taste test.

Then I am certain I would not be able to tell the brands apart when done
in a blind tasting. I've mostly switched to a beer or mead or two a
week these days and my consumption of distilled stuff is very small
except in my Christmas egg nog.

>>We used Finlandia, Aboslut and Stoli from the
>>Soviet Union back in 1977 or so. I could just barely tell those top
>>shelf brands from the bottom shelf brands. No way I can tell with any
>>mixer stronger than a twist of lemon rind.

> Those are all sub-top-shelf brands today. I'm not even sure Ketel One
> counts as top-shelf at this point. (Whatever "top-shelf" means,
> I'm not certain.)

I know of someone who keeps Smirnoff in the freezer in a Grey Goose
bottle. He claims none of his guests have ever been able to tell the
difference. I'd rather go with some good brand in its original bottle
but if I want to show off I'll bring out my own home brewed ale or mead.