Old 12-01-2012, 02:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What exactly is Goulash?

Recently, there was a bit of an argument over whether a certain dish
was in reality a Goulash.
Goulash is a Hungarian dish. There is a dish which is very different,
which is referred to as American Goulash. These recipes are similar
to the recipe that JH put up yesterday.
http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-...oulash,FF.html
example:
{
AMERICAN GOULASH
2 lbs lean ground beef
1 medium onion
1 medium green pepper
1 32 oz can tomato juice
2 cups elbow macaroni
1 16 oz can diced tomatoes
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese

Brown ground beef until done. Meanwhile, dice onion and green pepper.
Add onions, green pepper, tomatoes, tomato juice, and macaroni. Salt
and pepper to taste.

Cook on medium low heat for 45 minutes. Serve with a sprinkling of
Parmesan cheese.
}

Old 12-01-2012, 02:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"A Moose in Love" ha scritto nel messaggio
Recently, there was a bit of an argument over whether a certain dish
was in reality a Goulash.
Goulash is a Hungarian dish. There is a dish which is very different,
which is referred to as American Goulash. These recipes are similar
to the recipe that JH put up yesterday.
http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-...oulash,FF.html
example:

Cheddar from my mudder.

Old 12-01-2012, 02:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/12/2012 9:20 AM, A Moose in Love wrote:
[...]

I never heard of this (American) goulash until this newsgroup
and I have no idea why it's called that. I just know enough to
understand someone might well not be talking about Hungarian
goulash.

Who knows how things like this come about. I hear some people
call green peppers "mangoes" ... go figure.

nancy
Old 12-01-2012, 04:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Nancy Young [email protected] wrote:

On 1/12/2012 9:20 AM, A Moose in Love wrote:
Recently, there was a bit of an argument over whether a certain dish
was in reality a Goulash.

I never heard of this (American) goulash until this newsgroup
and I have no idea why it's called that. I just know enough to
understand someone might well not be talking about Hungarian
goulash.

Who knows how things like this come about. I hear some people
call green peppers "mangoes" ... go figure.

As someone else mentioned, there is another meaning of the word
"goulash". It means an assortment of things. If you have a drawer in
your desk where you throw all your odds and ends, that's a "goulash".

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Old 12-01-2012, 04:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 06:20:52 -0800 (PST), A Moose in Love
wrote:

[...]

Thanks, that looks easy enough. One pot meal? That's not the way I
cook, but maybe I'll try it sometime.

--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Recently, there was a bit of an argument over whether a certain dish
was in reality a Goulash.
Goulash is a Hungarian dish.

Goulash is a *******ization of the Hungarian word (gulyás) for stew...
there is no exact recipe, the only manditory ingredient being some
form of paprika.

goulash [GOO-lahsh]
Known as gulyás in its native Hungary, goulash is a stew made with
beef or other meat and vegetables and flavored with Hungarian PAPRIKA.
It's sometimes garnished with dollops of sour cream and often served
with buttered noodles.

© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

The dictionary definition is more expansive:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/goulash

Old 12-01-2012, 05:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 09:59:03 -0500, Nancy Young [email protected]
wrote:

[...]

Language is dynamic... some call breasts melons (more specifially
cantaloupes)... go figure.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
A Moose in Love wrote:
[...]

It isn't, that's the recipe for American Chop Suey.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

A Moose in Love wrote:

Recently, there was a bit of an argument over whether a certain dish
was in reality a Goulash.
Goulash is a Hungarian dish. There is a dish which is very different,
which is referred to as American Goulash. These recipes are similar
to the recipe that JH put up yesterday.
http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-...oulash,FF.html
example:
{
AMERICAN GOULASH

snip
I'd never heard of "American Goulash" before, nor had I seen Goulash made
with ground beef. I haven't had what is called "Hungarian Goulash" either,
despite having some Hungarian friends.

The Goulasch to which I am accustomed is the German recipe, not as spicy as
the Hungarian (from what I hear), but still pretty tasty. And, no cheese.

I notice that at least some Americans like to put corn (maize for non
Americans) in their Goulasch. My German friends and relatives won't.
There is an attitude in many places that maize is for animals, not people.
That is slowly changing in Germany as corn on the cob has made an
appearance in stores. Still, corn is far from being the staple it is in
the US.

--
Mike
http://www.facebook.com/groups/mikes.place.bar/
Old 12-01-2012, 06:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"A Moose in Love" wrote in message
[...]

In New England we call American goulash "American Chop Suey".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_chop_suey

Try some smoked paprika.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Old 12-01-2012, 07:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

A Moose in Love wrote:
[...]

and if you bake it, it's a casserole

Old 12-01-2012, 08:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"tert in seattle" wrote in message

A Moose in Love wrote:
[...]

And if you live in Minnesota, it's hotdish.
Felice

Old 12-01-2012, 08:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

My next door neighbor is from Hungary. I've always wanted to ask her
about some of the stews and things from Hungary, but she's a vegetarian.
If I see her again, I'll try to come up with the courage to ask about
Goulash in Hungary.

-J

Old 13-01-2012, 10:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 12, 6:20*am, A Moose in Love
wrote:
[...]

No such recipe appears in my James Beard American Cookery, nor in my
old Better Homes and Gardens cookbook, nor in our 50s vintage Mirro-
Matic cookbook (which does feature a recipe for American Chop Suey)
nor in the Joy of Cooking. All the recipes for goulash therein feature
chunks of beef (sometimes veal or pork) and onions, although the
pressure cooker recipe contemplates stopping the cooking partway
through to put a rack full of vegetables on top. So where did this
notion of "American goulash" come from?

Alone among my vintage cookbooks, along with a recipe for Hungarian
goulash, my original Betty Crocker contains a recipe for "savory
noodle goulash" featuring hamburger meat and noodles, with cheese on
top. The submitter is quoted as saying it allows her to put dinner on
the table within 30 minutes. So that could be the origin: something
you whip together from ingredients you have on hand, to feed the
hungry masses in a hurry.

Goulash Roy[_4_] General Cooking 26 15-05-2016 02:26 PM
Emily's Goulash Emily[_2_] Diabetic 1 30-07-2007 07:10 AM
Barbeque Goulash *~Chef Tamara~* Recipes (moderated) 0 11-06-2007 02:27 PM
Hungarian Goulash chefrwmillr Recipes (moderated) 0 08-04-2007 04:08 AM
Goulash Sharon[_3_] Recipes (moderated) 0 12-03-2007 11:04 AM