Member

Default Organic Food

I could not find a thread discussion it yet, so I though I would just go ahead and start one.

I have recently thought about switching to organic foods for my house and read quite a few interesting articles like for example this one:

7 Major Reasons Why Organic Food is Better

I want to know your thoughts on this? Has anyone here switched completely? Any thoughts on taste, health or any other things you might have experienced?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 12, 6:28*am, tom89 > wrote:
> I could not find a thread discussion it yet, so I though I would just go
> ahead and start one.
>
> I have recently thought about switching to organic foods for my house
> and read quite a few interesting articles like for example this one:
>
> '7 Major Reasons Why Organic Food is Better'
> (http://naturalbias.com/7-major-reasons-to-go-organic/)
>
> I want to know your thoughts on this? Has anyone here switched
> completely? Any thoughts on taste, health or any other things you might
> have experienced?

> tom89

Organic food is better. If it's organic. I don't bother with it. I
don't know if organic food is truly organic.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

tom89 wrote:

> I want to know your thoughts on this? Has anyone here switched
> completely? Any thoughts on taste, health or any other things you might
> have experienced?

Organic food is not nutritionally superior
to conventional food.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...h-of072909.php
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Moose in Love View Post
On Jan 12, 6:28*am, tom89 wrote:[color=blue][i]

Organic food is better. If it's organic. I don't bother with it. I
don't know if organic food is truly organic.
Yeah, I have read a couple of texts on that now too. If you really want 100% security it seems like you actually have to drive out to the farm and get your stuff firsthand, doesn'T seem very practical though.
Looking at the sales of organic food (found those numbers he http://www.statista.com/statistics/1...us-since-2000/ ) there certainly has to be an increasin number of people getting them.

Looking forward to some more opinions.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"tom89" > wrote in message
...[color=blue][i]

> A Moose in Love;1703284 Wrote:
>> On Jan 12, 6:28*am, tom89
>> wrote:
>>
>> Organic food is better. If it's organic. I don't bother with it. I
>> don't know if organic food is truly organic.

> Yeah, I have read a couple of texts on that now too. If you really want
> 100% security it seems like you actually have to drive out to the farm
> and get your stuff firsthand,

how does that tell you if the food is organic? You think reading a farmer's
sign is better than reading a sign in a store?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> tom89 wrote:
>>
>> I want to know your thoughts on this? Has anyone here switched
>> completely? Any thoughts on taste, health or any other things you might
>> have experienced?

> Organic food is not nutritionally superior
> to conventional food.
>
> http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...h-of072909.php

yes, this is quite true, but you pay more, so the farmer and the middle men
make a better profit, so they can buy better food for themselves.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 04:34:32 -0800, "Pico Rico"
> wrote:
[color=blue][i]

>"tom89" > wrote in message
>>
>> A Moose in Love;1703284 Wrote:
>>> On Jan 12, 6:28*am, tom89
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Organic food is better. If it's organic. I don't bother with it. I
>>> don't know if organic food is truly organic.

>> Yeah, I have read a couple of texts on that now too. If you really want
>> 100% security it seems like you actually have to drive out to the farm
>> and get your stuff firsthand,

>how does that tell you if the food is organic? You think reading a farmer's
>sign is better than reading a sign in a store?

There is no such thing as organic food, least not on this planet,
least not so long as there's weather and gravity exists.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Marty replied to Pico:

>> how does that tell you if the food is organic? You think reading a
>> farmer's sign is better than reading a sign in a store?

> True. The value of driving out to the farm is freshness. In that respect
> you have a better expectation of getting full nutritional value.

If you drive to a farm which is certified organic, then you can buy produce
with the reasonable expectation that it is organic. Here in California, the
certification is public and easily verified. It's also not easy to get
certified.

Bob

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Terwilliger[_1_] View Post
Marty replied to Pico:

how does that tell you if the food is organic? You think reading a
farmer's sign is better than reading a sign in a store?

True. The value of driving out to the farm is freshness. In that respect
you have a better expectation of getting full nutritional value.

If you drive to a farm which is certified organic, then you can buy produce
with the reasonable expectation that it is organic. Here in California, the
certification is public and easily verified. It's also not easy to get
certified.

Bob
That was my point. And also I was not completely serious with that of course.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 12, 6:28*am, tom89 > wrote:
> I could not find a thread discussion it yet, so I though I would just go
> ahead and start one.
>
> I have recently thought about switching to organic foods for my house
> and read quite a few interesting articles like for example this one:
>
> '7 Major Reasons Why Organic Food is Better'
> (http://naturalbias.com/7-major-reasons-to-go-organic/)
>
> I want to know your thoughts on this? Has anyone here switched
> completely? Any thoughts on taste, health or any other things you might
> have experienced?

> tom89

I can't say I taste a difference, but I try to support the industry by
buying organic for about half my veggies and fruits. I also try to
support my local farmers' markets.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
tom89 > wrote:
[color=blue][i]
> A Moose in Love;1703284 Wrote:
> > On Jan 12, 6:28*am, tom89
> > wrote:
> >
> > Organic food is better. If it's organic. I don't bother with it. I
> > don't know if organic food is truly organic.

> Yeah, I have read a couple of texts on that now too. If you really want
> 100% security it seems like you actually have to drive out to the farm
> and get your stuff firsthand, doesn'T seem very practical though.

So you drive out to the farm stand, and the guy says he didn't spray for
bugs 4 months ago, and didn't put on any chemical fertilizer 5 months
ago, before he planted. Even if you walk out in his fields, there is no
way to tell what he did back then, the evidence is long gone. Then the
big produce truck drives up and unloads 100 boxes of different produce.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 16:15:35 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:
[color=blue][i]
>In article >,
> tom89 > wrote:
>
>> A Moose in Love;1703284 Wrote:
>> > On Jan 12, 6:28*am, tom89
>> > wrote:
>> >
>> > Organic food is better. If it's organic. I don't bother with it. I
>> > don't know if organic food is truly organic.

>> Yeah, I have read a couple of texts on that now too. If you really want
>> 100% security it seems like you actually have to drive out to the farm
>> and get your stuff firsthand, doesn'T seem very practical though.

>So you drive out to the farm stand, and the guy says he didn't spray for
>bugs 4 months ago, and didn't put on any chemical fertilizer 5 months
>ago, before he planted. Even if you walk out in his fields, there is no
>way to tell what he did back then, the evidence is long gone. Then the
>big produce truck drives up and unloads 100 boxes of different produce.

It's not even possible to grow organic on your own land, not on planet
Earth, not so long as there's precipitation, wind, and gravity. It's
actually pretty easy to tell which produce is more organic (can never
be 100%), if you're paying a premium for organic produce and there are
no *live* worms/insects munching away then it's NOT even close to
organic and you are ripping yourself off. I grow a large home
vegetable garden and use absolutely no chemicals, not even chemical
fertizers. Most of what I harvest contains living critters. I use
many of the natural insect repellents like growing marigolds amonst
the crops but none of those techniques work. If what you pay organic
prices for contains no living creepy-crawly critters you are an
IMBECILE.

Beijing Organic Shopping Guide - Organic food stores in Beijing MeiGuoXing General Cooking 2 20-10-2008 04:36 PM
Organic food. Z General Cooking 1 23-07-2007 02:17 PM
Organic Food Z General Cooking 7 18-07-2007 12:58 AM
Sure that Organic Food is Really Organic? Monkkey's Unkle Vegan 2 18-05-2006 02:06 AM
Organic food...who to believe!? johny b General Cooking 49 10-03-2005 04:06 AM