Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Polenta

http://www.italiannotebook.com/food-wine/polenta/

I saw this fun note on the subject in a newslwttwr I get. I thought you
might like it too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 11, 9:47*am, "Giusi" > wrote:
> http://www.italiannotebook.com/food-wine/polenta/
>
> I saw this fun note on the subject in a newslwttwr I get. *I thought you
> might like it too.

Did giusi really send this? This reads like robospam. I would click on
a cached version, but "italiannotebook.com" apparently does not allow
caching.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 11, 9:47*am, "Giusi" > wrote:
> http://www.italiannotebook.com/food-wine/polenta/
>
> I saw this fun note on the subject in a newslwttwr I get. *I thought you
> might like it too.

Thanks- I love polenta. When we were in Italy this last summer, we
were served "Polenta di Patate"- delicious!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 18:47:40 +0100, "Giusi" >
wrote:

> http://www.italiannotebook.com/food-wine/polenta/
>
> I saw this fun note on the subject in a newslwttwr I get. I thought you
> might like it too.

I do, I do! I also like those wooden "plates". Are they common in
Italy?
--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 11, 10:40*am, sf > wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 18:47:40 +0100, "Giusi" >
> wrote:
>
> >http://www.italiannotebook.com/food-wine/polenta/

> > I saw this fun note on the subject in a newslwttwr I get. *I thought you
> > might like it too.

> I do, I do! *I also like those wooden "plates". *Are they common in
> Italy?
> --
>
> Ham and eggs.
> A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.

Polenta is usually served on a wood board, and then cut with a string.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"spamtrap1888" > ha scritto nel messaggio
"Giusi" > wrote:
> http://www.italiannotebook.com/food-wine/polenta/
>
> I saw this fun note on the subject in a newslwttwr I get. I thought you
> might like it too.

Did giusi really send this? This reads like robospam. I would click on
a cached version, but "italiannotebook.com" apparently does not allow
caching.

Robome. It is not spam. It's anewsletter sent to Italy lovers everyday.
Don't dare? Don't go.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
"Giusi" >
> wrote:
>
>> http://www.italiannotebook.com/food-wine/polenta/
>>
>> I saw this fun note on the subject in a newslwttwr I get. I thought you
>> might like it too.
>>

> I do, I do! I also like those wooden "plates". Are they common in
> Italy?

Not here, maybe up north. I have as long olivewood bowl that looks like a
shy dugout canoe that I use just for polenta.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 19:59:33 +0100, "Giusi" >
wrote:

> "sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> "Giusi" >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> http://www.italiannotebook.com/food-wine/polenta/
> >>
> >> I saw this fun note on the subject in a newslwttwr I get. I thought you
> >> might like it too.
> >>

> > I do, I do! I also like those wooden "plates". Are they common in
> > Italy?

> Not here, maybe up north. I have as long olivewood bowl that looks like a
> shy dugout canoe that I use just for polenta.

Hmmm. Maybe I should ask someone I know up in Oregon if she knows a
wood worker who could duplicate those plates.
--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 11, 10:58*am, "Giusi" > wrote:
> "spamtrap1888" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>
> *"Giusi" > wrote:
> >http://www.italiannotebook.com/food-wine/polenta/

> > I saw this fun note on the subject in a newslwttwr I get. I thought you
> > might like it too.

> Did giusi really send this? This reads like robospam. I would click on
> a cached version, but "italiannotebook.com" apparently does not allow
> caching.
>
> Robome. *It is not spam. *It's anewsletter sent to Italy lovers everyday.
> Don't dare? Don't go.

Thanks. The wording didn't sound like you -- the "I thought you"
sounded just too generic. Almost as bad as blog comments like: "I
found this post to be fascinating"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 10:45:43 -0800 (PST), merryb >
wrote:

> On Jan 11, 10:40*am, sf > wrote:
> > On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 18:47:40 +0100, "Giusi" >
> > wrote:
> >
> > >http://www.italiannotebook.com/food-wine/polenta/

> > > I saw this fun note on the subject in a newslwttwr I get. *I thought you
> > > might like it too.

> > I do, I do! *I also like those wooden "plates". *Are they common in
> > Italy?
> > --
> >
> > Ham and eggs.
> > A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.

> Polenta is usually served on a wood board, and then cut with a string.

I've never seen that done, ever. Don't know very many Italians, but
the few I know haven't talked about doing that either. Guess I don't
know the right people.
--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 11, 3:24*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 10:45:43 -0800 (PST), merryb >
> wrote:
>

> > On Jan 11, 10:40 am, sf > wrote:

> > > I do, I do! I also like those wooden "plates". Are they common in
> > > Italy?
> > > --

> > > Ham and eggs.
> > > A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.

> > Polenta is usually served on a wood board, and then cut with a string.

> I've never seen that done, ever. *Don't know very many Italians, but
> the few I know haven't talked about doing that either. *Guess I don't
> know the right people. *
> --
>
> Ham and eggs.
> A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.

That seems to be the way it's done in the north, but that's the only
place I ate it when we were there, so can't say for all regions.
Traditionally, it's cooked in a copper pot and stirred with a wooden
paddle. When I was a kid, my grandma would host a big polenta dinner-
the men were in charge of stirring the pot while the women did all the
other stuff. I actually inherited that pot and it's hanging up in my
kitchen
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 15:35:29 -0800 (PST), merryb >
wrote:

> On Jan 11, 3:24*pm, sf > wrote:

> > *Guess I don't know the right people. *
> > --

> That seems to be the way it's done in the north, but that's the only
> place I ate it when we were there, so can't say for all regions.

Oh okay., thanks. The people I know are from the south and Sicily

--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"merryb" > ha scritto nel messaggio

Polenta is usually served on a wood board, and then cut with a string.

I serve it creamier so you spoon it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"spamtrap1888" > ha scritto nel messaggio
Thanks. The wording didn't sound like you -- the "I thought you"
sounded just too generic. Almost as bad as blog comments like: "I
found this post to be fascinating"

No one's typos are just like mine, unless they too are typing on a miniature
Italian keyboard.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"merryb" > ha scritto nel messaggio . When I was a kid, my
grandma would host a big polenta dinner-
the men were in charge of stirring the pot while the women did all the
other stuff. I actually inherited that pot and it's hanging up in my
kitchen

Then get it out, scrub it with lemon and salt and make polenta! I have two,
the one that looks like a copper pail with a wooden handle and another that
looks like a huge copper basin. But you can make small amounts, too, or you
can make it in any heavy pan, although a flame tamer is a great help for
making cleanup less agony.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > ha

, merryb >
> wrote:

>> That seems to be the way it's done in the north, but that's the only
>> place I ate it when we were there, so can't say for all regions.

> Oh okay., thanks. The people I know are from the south and Sicily

Where it isn't part of the culture, but like any people, nowadays they do
eat it. Polenta can be firm enough to cut or creamy, and creamy is my
style. If you make extra you can pour it out on a board or a stone slab and
let it firm up to store for another day. That is cut to store. Pieces do
tend to stick together though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>> Polenta is usually served on a wood board, and then cut with a
>> string.

> I've never seen that done, ever. Don't know very many Italians, but
> the few I know haven't talked about doing that either. Guess I don't
> know the right people.

It's a question of time: the one described by merryb is the old fashion,
used in almost all of Italy untile some decades ago. My granny served
polenta like that, too. My mother not, she uses normal dishes as almost
everybody does nowadays. Some restaurant serves polenta the old fashion,
though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:

>> Polenta is usually served on a wood board, and then cut with a string.

> I serve it creamier so you spoon it.

Me too. I had string-cut polenta only once in my life, during a holiday in
the Alps, 30 years ago

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 08:31:04 +0100, "Giusi" >
wrote:

> "sf" > ha
>
> , merryb >
> > wrote:

> >> That seems to be the way it's done in the north, but that's the only
> >> place I ate it when we were there, so can't say for all regions.

> > Oh okay., thanks. The people I know are from the south and Sicily

> Where it isn't part of the culture, but like any people, nowadays they do
> eat it. Polenta can be firm enough to cut or creamy, and creamy is my
> style. If you make extra you can pour it out on a board or a stone slab and
> let it firm up to store for another day. That is cut to store. Pieces do
> tend to stick together though.

I've made polenta just to firm up and fry. It's the eating off the
board part that was new to me. I'd heard of it, but I thought it was
a long gone tradition.

Do you really constantly stir the polenta for 45 minutes?
--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 10:24:22 +0100, "ViLco" > wrote:

> sf wrote:
>
> >> Polenta is usually served on a wood board, and then cut with a
> >> string.

> > I've never seen that done, ever. Don't know very many Italians, but
> > the few I know haven't talked about doing that either. Guess I don't
> > know the right people.

> It's a question of time: the one described by merryb is the old fashion,
> used in almost all of Italy untile some decades ago. My granny served
> polenta like that, too. My mother not, she uses normal dishes as almost
> everybody does nowadays. Some restaurant serves polenta the old fashion,
> though.

Aha, thanks! I had a feeling it was a tradition that had fallen by
the wayside because I had one friend (the Sicilian one) whose family
made polenta and "gravy" (which was a new concept to me at the time)
never talked about eating communally from a wooden board.
--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
"Giusi" >
> wrote:

Polenta can be firm enough to cut or creamy, and creamy is my >> style.
If you make extra you can pour it out on a board or a stone slab and
>> let it firm up to store for another day. That is cut to store.
>>

> Do you really constantly stir the polenta for 45 minutes?

No, but very frequently. A flametamer makes the difference. I discovered
it would stick (but not burn) no matter which way I went,so I don't.

If you can use whole grain corn it is low glycemic and a really healthy
meal. Braised "stuff" in tomatoey braises is marvelous.
I rarely fry it because it atomatically is more fatty, but I occasionally
broil it for a quail disI serve. Last time, though,I served it creamy with
the quail and two sauces and it was a bigger hit than ever.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 11, 11:28*pm, "Giusi" > wrote:
> "merryb" > ha scritto nel messaggio . When I was a kid, my
> grandma would host a big polenta dinner-
> the men were in charge of stirring the pot while the women did all the
> other stuff. I actually inherited that pot and it's hanging up in my
> kitchen
>
> Then get it out, scrub it with lemon and salt and make polenta! *I have two,
> the one that looks like a copper pail with a wooden handle and another that
> looks like a huge copper basin. *But you can make small amounts, too, or you
> can make it in any heavy pan, although a flame tamer is a great help for
> making cleanup less agony.

Oh yes, I frequently use it, but mostly when I want to make it for
more than the 3 of us. Then I cheat & do it in the oven!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 12, 6:57*am, "Giusi" > wrote:
> "sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> *"Giusi" >
>
> > wrote:

> * Polenta can be firm enough to cut or creamy, and creamy is my >> style.
> If you make extra you can pour it out on a board or a stone slab and
>
> >> let it firm up to store for another day. *That is cut to store.

> > Do you really constantly stir the polenta for 45 minutes?

> No, but very frequently. *A flametamer makes the difference. *I discovered
> it would stick (but not burn) no matter which way I went,so I don't.
>
> If you can use whole grain corn it is low glycemic and a really healthy
> meal. *Braised "stuff" in tomatoey braises is marvelous.
> I rarely fry it because it atomatically is more fatty, but I occasionally
> broil it for a quail disI serve. *Last time, though,I served it creamy with
> the quail and two sauces and it was a bigger hit than ever.

My Grandma served polenta with fried chicken flavored with rosemary &
sage, and made a cream gravy with the drippings. Good stuff!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 07:55:00 -0800 (PST), merryb >
wrote:

> On Jan 11, 11:28*pm, "Giusi" > wrote:
> > "merryb" > ha scritto nel messaggio . When I was a kid, my
> > grandma would host a big polenta dinner-
> > the men were in charge of stirring the pot while the women did all the
> > other stuff. I actually inherited that pot and it's hanging up in my
> > kitchen
> >
> > Then get it out, scrub it with lemon and salt and make polenta! *I have two,
> > the one that looks like a copper pail with a wooden handle and another that
> > looks like a huge copper basin. *But you can make small amounts, too, or you
> > can make it in any heavy pan, although a flame tamer is a great help for
> > making cleanup less agony.

> Oh yes, I frequently use it, but mostly when I want to make it for
> more than the 3 of us. Then I cheat & do it in the oven!

Please tell me more about this oven cheat! Do you make creamy polenta
that way?
--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 12, 8:14*am, sf > wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 07:55:00 -0800 (PST), merryb >
> wrote:
>
> > On Jan 11, 11:28*pm, "Giusi" > wrote:
> > > "merryb" > ha scritto nel messaggio . When I was a kid, my
> > > grandma would host a big polenta dinner-
> > > the men were in charge of stirring the pot while the women did all the
> > > other stuff. I actually inherited that pot and it's hanging up in my
> > > kitchen

> > > Then get it out, scrub it with lemon and salt and make polenta! *I have two,
> > > the one that looks like a copper pail with a wooden handle and another that
> > > looks like a huge copper basin. *But you can make small amounts, too, or you
> > > can make it in any heavy pan, although a flame tamer is a great help for
> > > making cleanup less agony.

> > Oh yes, I frequently use it, but mostly when I want to make it for
> > more than the 3 of us. Then I cheat & do it in the oven!

> Please tell me more about this oven cheat! *Do you make creamy polenta
> that way?
> --
>
> Ham and eggs.
> A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.

Gladly! This came from the bag of Golden Pheasant brand polenta, which
I know you can find there;
Enrico's Easy Polenta
1 cup polenta
3 & 1/4 cups lukewarm water
1 tsp salt
1 Tbls butter
Preheat oven to 350. Place ingredients in a buttered 8" square pan.
Stir with fork until blended. Bake uncovered for 50 minutes. Run fork
through it and bake 10 more minutes. Serve as desired.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:
> On Jan 12, 8:14 am, sf > wrote:
>> On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 07:55:00 -0800 (PST), merryb >
>> wrote:

>>> Oh yes, I frequently use it, but mostly when I want to make it for
>>> more than the 3 of us. Then I cheat & do it in the oven!

>> Please tell me more about this oven cheat! Do you make creamy polenta
>> that way?
>> --
>>
>> Ham and eggs.
>> A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.

> Gladly! This came from the bag of Golden Pheasant brand polenta, which
> I know you can find there;
> Enrico's Easy Polenta
> 1 cup polenta
> 3 & 1/4 cups lukewarm water
> 1 tsp salt
> 1 Tbls butter
> Preheat oven to 350. Place ingredients in a buttered 8" square pan.
> Stir with fork until blended. Bake uncovered for 50 minutes. Run fork
> through it and bake 10 more minutes. Serve as desired.

Oh! Thanks from me, too. This will be very useful.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 08:32:44 -0800 (PST), merryb >
wrote:

> Gladly! This came from the bag of Golden Pheasant brand polenta, which
> I know you can find there;
> Enrico's Easy Polenta
> 1 cup polenta
> 3 & 1/4 cups lukewarm water
> 1 tsp salt
> 1 Tbls butter
> Preheat oven to 350. Place ingredients in a buttered 8" square pan.
> Stir with fork until blended. Bake uncovered for 50 minutes. Run fork
> through it and bake 10 more minutes. Serve as desired.

Thanks, I think I'll try that. I didn't find Golden Pheasant the last
time I went on a quest for whole grain polenta - I have a call in to
the Polenta Company (aka: EJ Fleming & Associates) now and am waiting
for a call back to see where it's stocked. The brand I found
previously at a nearby health food store is probably put out by the
same producer anyway.
--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 11:57:11 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:

> >> Please tell me more about this oven cheat! Do you make creamy polenta
> >> that way?
> >> --

> > Gladly! This came from the bag of Golden Pheasant brand polenta, which
> > I know you can find there;
> > Enrico's Easy Polenta
> > 1 cup polenta
> > 3 & 1/4 cups lukewarm water
> > 1 tsp salt
> > 1 Tbls butter
> > Preheat oven to 350. Place ingredients in a buttered 8" square pan.
> > Stir with fork until blended. Bake uncovered for 50 minutes. Run fork
> > through it and bake 10 more minutes. Serve as desired.

> Oh! Thanks from me, too. This will be very useful.

I know! Never thought about baking before she mentioned it.
FYI: This recipe is a little fussier, but it looks good too.

Polenta With Parmesan and Tomato Sauce
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/10/he...ml?ref=polenta

1 cup polenta
1 quart water
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon butter

1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan (optional), plus additional for
sprinkling

1 1/2 cups Fresh Tomato Sauce or Simple Marinara Sauce

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Combine the polenta, water and salt in a 2-quart baking dish. Stir
together, and place in the oven. Bake 50 minutes. Remove from the
oven, stir in the butter and return to the oven for 10 more minutes.
Remove from the oven and stir again. Return to the oven for 10
minutes. Remove from the oven, and stir in the Parmesan, if using.
Spoon onto plates, make a depression in the middle and spoon 1/4
heaped cup of simple tomato sauce into the depression. Sprinkle with
Parmesan and serve.

Note: You can also cook the polenta in the microwave.

--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 12, 9:10*am, sf > wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 08:32:44 -0800 (PST), merryb >
> wrote:
>

> > Gladly! This came from the bag of Golden Pheasant brand polenta, which
> > I know you can find there;
> > Enrico's Easy Polenta
> > 1 cup polenta
> > 3 & *1/4 cups lukewarm water
> > 1 tsp salt
> > 1 Tbls butter
> > Preheat oven to 350. Place ingredients in a buttered 8" square pan.
> > Stir with fork until blended. Bake uncovered for 50 minutes. Run fork
> > through it and bake 10 more minutes. Serve as desired.

> Thanks, I think I'll try that. *I didn't find Golden Pheasant the last
> time I went on a quest for whole grain polenta - I have a call in to
> the Polenta Company (aka: EJ Fleming & Associates) now and am waiting
> for a call back to see where it's stocked. *The brand I found
> previously at a nearby health food store is probably put out by the
> same producer anyway.
> --
>
> Ham and eggs.
> A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.

Have you tried Safeway? I'm sure with the Italian population there you
should be able to find it. Also, Bob's Red Mill also makes it- I've
used that and it works fine.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 12, 9:23*am, sf > wrote:

> > > Gladly! This came from the bag of Golden Pheasant brand polenta, which
> > > I know you can find there;
> > > Enrico's Easy Polenta
> > > 1 cup polenta
> > > 3 & *1/4 cups lukewarm water
> > > 1 tsp salt
> > > 1 Tbls butter
> > > Preheat oven to 350. Place ingredients in a buttered 8" square pan.
> > > Stir with fork until blended. Bake uncovered for 50 minutes. Run fork
> > > through it and bake 10 more minutes. Serve as desired.

> > Oh! *Thanks from me, too. *This will be very useful.

> I know! *Never thought about baking before she mentioned it.
> FYI: This recipe is a little fussier, but it looks good too.
>
> Polenta With Parmesan and Tomato Saucehttp://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/10/health/nutrition/10recipehealth.htm...
>
> 1 cup polenta
> 1 quart water
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 1 tablespoon butter
>
> 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan (optional), plus additional for
> sprinkling
>
> 1 1/2 cups Fresh Tomato Sauce or Simple Marinara Sauce
>
> Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
>
> Combine the polenta, water and salt in a 2-quart baking dish. Stir
> together, and place in the oven. Bake 50 minutes. Remove from the
> oven, stir in the butter and return to the oven for 10 more minutes.
> Remove from the oven and stir again. Return to the oven for 10
> minutes. Remove from the oven, and stir in the Parmesan, if using.
> Spoon onto plates, make a depression in the middle and spoon 1/4
> heaped cup of simple tomato sauce into the depression. Sprinkle with
> Parmesan and serve.
>
> Note: You can also cook the polenta in the microwave.
>
> --
>
> Ham and eggs.
> A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.

I have made it in the microwave also, but the oven method works
better. I think you only nuke it for 15 minutes, which doesn't cook it
enough, IMO.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 12, 1:24*am, "ViLco" > wrote:
> sf wrote:
> >> Polenta is usually served on a wood board, and then cut with a
> >> string.

> > I've never seen that done, ever. *Don't know very many Italians, but
> > the few I know haven't talked about doing that either. *Guess I don't
> > know the right people. *

> It's a question of time: the one described by merryb is the old fashion,
> used in almost all of Italy untile some decades ago. My granny served
> polenta like that, too. My mother not, she uses normal dishes as almost
> everybody does nowadays. Some restaurant serves polenta the old fashion,
> though.

Very interesting- thank you!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 12, 1:25*am, "ViLco" > wrote:
> Giusi wrote:
> >> Polenta is usually served on a wood board, and then cut with a string.

> > I serve it creamier so you spoon it.

> Me too. I had string-cut polenta only once in my life, during a holiday in
> the Alps, 30 years ago

Yes, that's where we were- Valle di Chiesa.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11 Gen, 18:47, "Giusi" > wrote:
> http://www.italiannotebook.com/food-wine/polenta/
>
> I saw this fun note on the subject in a newslwttwr I get. *I thought you
> might like it too.

Ohhhhh! very nice! I must say that fine-grain polenta doesn't find,
often, the glory they give on the site because a large amount of
persons like the big-grain (I don't know how you call it). Seeing the
pics, I like very much the individual wood plates. I had those dish
( 10 years ago), but haven't been non-treated, and haven't been always
used, they were attacked by wood worms(((( Theirs end: painted and
under pot-flowers))
Another thing they don't say in the site is that; mostly in nothern
countries, they use to cut polenta with a string. But these are
nothing
Cheers
Pandora
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11 Gen, 19:11, spamtrap1888 > wrote:
> On Jan 11, 9:47*am, "Giusi" > wrote:
>
> >http://www.italiannotebook.com/food-wine/polenta/

> > I saw this fun note on the subject in a newslwttwr I get. *I thought you
> > might like it too.

> Did giusi really send this? This reads like robospam. I would click on
> a cached version, but "italiannotebook.com" apparently does not allow
> caching.

If you have some problems with italians, tell me I will help you to
detoxicate!
cheers
Pandora
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11 Gen, 19:59, "Giusi" > wrote:
> "sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> *"Giusi" >
>
> > wrote:

> >>http://www.italiannotebook.com/food-wine/polenta/

> >> I saw this fun note on the subject in a newslwttwr I get. *I thought you
> >> might like it too.

> > I do, I do! *I also like those wooden "plates". *Are they common in
> > Italy?

> Not here, maybe up north. *I have as long olivewood bowl that looks like a
> shy dugout canoe that I use just for polenta.

I have buyed them Near Rome. At castelli Romani we use much, but also
in Abruzzo!
Cheers
Pandora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11 Gen, 22:47, spamtrap1888 > wrote:
> On Jan 11, 10:58*am, "Giusi" > wrote:
>
> > "spamtrap1888" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> > *"Giusi" > wrote:
> > >http://www.italiannotebook.com/food-wine/polenta/

> > > I saw this fun note on the subject in a newslwttwr I get. I thought you
> > > might like it too.

> > Did giusi really send this? This reads like robospam. I would click on
> > a cached version, but "italiannotebook.com" apparently does not allow
> > caching.

> > Robome. *It is not spam. *It's anewsletter sent to Italy lovers everyday.
> > Don't dare? Don't go.

> Thanks. The wording didn't sound like you -- the "I thought you"
> sounded just too generic. Almost as bad as blog comments like: "I
> found this post to be fascinating"

Spam or not spam is a beautiful site and thread. So keep silent please!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12 Gen, 00:24, sf > wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 10:45:43 -0800 (PST), merryb >
> wrote:
>

> > On Jan 11, 10:40*am, sf > wrote:

> > > I do, I do! *I also like those wooden "plates". *Are they common in
> > > Italy?
> > > --

> > > Ham and eggs.
> > > A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.

> > Polenta is usually served on a wood board, and then cut with a string.

> I've never seen that done, ever. *Don't know very many Italians, but
> the few I know haven't talked about doing that either. *Guess I don't
> know the right people. *
> --
>
> Ham and eggs.
> A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.

You are wrong, sf. I bet me and Vilco spoken of this way to serve
polenta
Cheers
Pandora
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12 Gen, 01:43, sf > wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 15:35:29 -0800 (PST), merryb >
> wrote:
>
> > On Jan 11, 3:24*pm, sf > wrote:
> > > *Guess I don't know the right people. *
> > > --

> > That seems to be the way it's done in the north, but that's the only
> > place I ate it when we were there, so can't say for all regions.

> Oh okay., thanks. *The people I know are from the south and Sicily
>
> --
>
> Ham and eggs.
> A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.

Also from Rome))
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12 Gen, 08:31, "Giusi" > wrote:
> "sf" > ha
>
> , merryb >
>
> > wrote:
> >> That seems to be the way it's done in the north, but that's the only
> >> place I ate it when we were there, so can't say for all regions.

> > Oh okay., thanks. *The people I know are from the south and Sicily

> Where it isn't part of the culture, but like any people, nowadays they do
> eat it. *Polenta can be firm enough to cut or creamy, and creamy is my
> style. *If you make extra you can pour it out on a board or a stone slab and
> let it firm up to store for another day. *That is cut to store. *Pieces do
> tend to stick together though.

I like polenta in thousend of way, just because it is *polenta*....and
I Am a roman girl
Cheers
Pandora
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 09:46:42 -0800 (PST), merryb >
wrote:

> On Jan 12, 9:10*am, sf > wrote:
> > On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 08:32:44 -0800 (PST), merryb >
> > wrote:
> >

> > > Gladly! This came from the bag of Golden Pheasant brand polenta, which
> > > I know you can find there;
> > > Enrico's Easy Polenta
> > > 1 cup polenta
> > > 3 & *1/4 cups lukewarm water
> > > 1 tsp salt
> > > 1 Tbls butter
> > > Preheat oven to 350. Place ingredients in a buttered 8" square pan.
> > > Stir with fork until blended. Bake uncovered for 50 minutes. Run fork
> > > through it and bake 10 more minutes. Serve as desired.

> > Thanks, I think I'll try that. *I didn't find Golden Pheasant the last
> > time I went on a quest for whole grain polenta - I have a call in to
> > the Polenta Company (aka: EJ Fleming & Associates) now and am waiting
> > for a call back to see where it's stocked. *The brand I found
> > previously at a nearby health food store is probably put out by the
> > same producer anyway.
> > --

> Have you tried Safeway? I'm sure with the Italian population there you
> should be able to find it. Also, Bob's Red Mill also makes it- I've
> used that and it works fine.

Finding polenta in general isn't the issue. I didn't know there was
such a thing as "whole grain polenta" until the discussion here a
couple of weeks ago. Now I know.

Polenta? Janet Wilder[_1_] Diabetic 3 02-03-2011 06:57 AM
Req: Lidia's Recipe for Polenta Pasticcio / Polenta Pasticciata w/ Mushroom Ragu ryan General Cooking 4 08-04-2007 12:14 AM
Mw Polenta Pandora General Cooking 35 07-11-2005 04:55 PM
Crostini Di Polenta Alla Pizzaiola (Polenta And Tomato Sauc Duckie ® Recipes 0 07-07-2005 06:10 PM