Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Any chemists here?

I want to try the recipe for chocolate wafers. It calls for 3 T of whole
milk. What I have here is some whipping cream which is 30% milk fat.
There's also some 2% to put on my Rice Krispies. Anyone have the skills to
tell me what combination would be good? I could just go next door and
borrow some milk. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 2, 5:41*pm, "Polly Esther" > wrote:
> I want to try the recipe for chocolate wafers. *It calls for 3 T of whole
> milk. *What I have here is some whipping cream which is 30% milk fat.
> There's also some 2% to put on my Rice Krispies. *Anyone have the skills to
> tell me what combination would be good? *I could just go next door and
> borrow some milk. *Polly

You don't need a chemist. Just guesstimate. I'd say 2 T 2% milk ad 1T
30% cream.

It'll be yummy!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Polly Esther" > wrote:

> I want to try the recipe for chocolate wafers. It calls for 3 T of whole
> milk. What I have here is some whipping cream which is 30% milk fat.
> There's also some 2% to put on my Rice Krispies. Anyone have the skills to
> tell me what combination would be good? I could just go next door and
> borrow some milk. Polly

Whole milk is ~3.25% butterfat. You'd get close using 1/2 tsp. 30% cream
and 8.5 tsp (2 Tbsp + 2 tsp + 1/2 tsp) 2% milk.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 2, 5:49*pm, Michael Siemon > wrote:
> In article >,
> *"Polly Esther" > wrote:
>
> > I want to try the recipe for chocolate wafers. *It calls for 3 T of whole
> > milk. *What I have here is some whipping cream which is 30% milk fat.
> > There's also some 2% to put on my Rice Krispies. *Anyone have the skills to
> > tell me what combination would be good? *I could just go next door and
> > borrow some milk. *Polly

> Whole milk is ~3.25% butterfat. You'd get close using 1/2 tsp. 30% cream
> and 8.5 tsp (2 Tbsp + 2 tsp + 1/2 tsp) 2% milk.

Yes, but think of how much yummier the chocolate waters will be with
more milkfat!!

I'd still do the 2T of 2% and 1T of 30%.

It's not like it's NOT gonna work.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael Siemon" <> wrote in message
> In article <>,
> "Polly Esther" <> wrote:
>
>> I want to try the recipe for chocolate wafers. It calls for 3 T of whole
>> milk. What I have here is some whipping cream which is 30% milk fat.
>> There's also some 2% to put on my Rice Krispies. Anyone have the skills
>> tell me what combination would be good? I could just go next door and
>> borrow some milk. Polly

> Whole milk is ~3.25% butterfat. You'd get close using 1/2 tsp. 30% cream
> and 8.5 tsp (2 Tbsp + 2 tsp + 1/2 tsp) 2% milk.

Got it. Thank you. Thank you very much. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Polly Esther" > wrote in message
>I want to try the recipe for chocolate wafers. It calls for 3 T of whole
>milk. What I have here is some whipping cream which is 30% milk fat.
>There's also some 2% to put on my Rice Krispies. Anyone have the skills to
>tell me what combination would be good? I could just go next door and
>borrow some milk. Polly

You're making chocolate not a fancy molecule. Just use the whipping cream.
Or use the skim milk. It does not matter. The cream would make a nicer
texture.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Polly Esther" > wrote in message

> "Michael Siemon" <> wrote in message
> > In article <>,
>> "Polly Esther" <> wrote:
>>
>>> I want to try the recipe for chocolate wafers. It calls for 3 T of
>>> whole
>>> milk. What I have here is some whipping cream which is 30% milk fat.
>>> There's also some 2% to put on my Rice Krispies. Anyone have the skills
>>> tell me what combination would be good? I could just go next door and
>>> borrow some milk. Polly

>> Whole milk is ~3.25% butterfat. You'd get close using 1/2 tsp. 30% cream
>> and 8.5 tsp (2 Tbsp + 2 tsp + 1/2 tsp) 2% milk.

> Got it. Thank you. Thank you very much. Polly

You are aware that chemists go by weight, not volume? You'll need a scale,
one that has a resolution to the 10,000th of a gram. I'd alo recommend a
mass spectrometer so you can accurately ascertain the fat content of the
finsihed product.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Polly Esther" > wrote:

> I want to try the recipe for chocolate wafers. It calls for 3 T of whole
> milk. What I have here is some whipping cream which is 30% milk fat.
> There's also some 2% to put on my Rice Krispies. Anyone have the skills to
> tell me what combination would be good? I could just go next door and
> borrow some milk. Polly

You're thinking too much, Polly. Use 3 tablespoons of either one and
enjoy.
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller September 5, 2011
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 21:37:05 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> "Polly Esther" > wrote:
>
>> I want to try the recipe for chocolate wafers. It calls for 3 T of whole
>> milk. What I have here is some whipping cream which is 30% milk fat.
>> There's also some 2% to put on my Rice Krispies. Anyone have the skills to
>> tell me what combination would be good? I could just go next door and
>> borrow some milk. Polly

>You're thinking too much, Polly. Use 3 tablespoons of either one and
>enjoy.

I'm with Barb. If I was feeling real ambitious I'd make a batch
with each and see if anyone could tell the difference. Then I'd
post a followup in this thread.<g>

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 3, 6:43*am, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 21:37:05 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
>
> > wrote:
> >In article >,
> > "Polly Esther" > wrote:

> >> I want to try the recipe for chocolate wafers. *It calls for 3 T of whole
> >> milk. *What I have here is some whipping cream which is 30% milk fat..
> >> There's also some 2% to put on my Rice Krispies. *Anyone have the skills to
> >> tell me what combination would be good? *I could just go next door and
> >> borrow some milk. *Polly

> >You're thinking too much, Polly. *Use 3 tablespoons of either one and
> >enjoy.

> I'm with Barb. * *If I was feeling real ambitious I'd make a batch
> with each and see if anyone could tell the difference. * * Then I'd
> post a followup in this thread.<g>
>
> Jim

Sometimes if you use only cream, there may not be enough moisture to
get the dough to work the way it should though. May need a sprinkle of
water too, if using only cream. I know I do when making a pie crust
dough.

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 2 Jan 2012 15:54:28 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> wrote:

> On Jan 2, 5:49*pm, Michael Siemon > wrote:
> > In article >,
> > *"Polly Esther" > wrote:
> >
> > > I want to try the recipe for chocolate wafers. *It calls for 3 T of whole
> > > milk. *What I have here is some whipping cream which is 30% milk fat.
> > > There's also some 2% to put on my Rice Krispies. *Anyone have the skills to
> > > tell me what combination would be good? *I could just go next door and
> > > borrow some milk. *Polly

> > Whole milk is ~3.25% butterfat. You'd get close using 1/2 tsp. 30% cream
> > and 8.5 tsp (2 Tbsp + 2 tsp + 1/2 tsp) 2% milk.

> Yes, but think of how much yummier the chocolate waters will be with
> more milkfat!!
>
> I'd still do the 2T of 2% and 1T of 30%.
>
> It's not like it's NOT gonna work.

If you'd watched America's Test Kitchen this weekend, you'd have seen
that they decided milk fat decreases the chocolate factor. They would
tell Polly to use water as the liquid, coffee to enhance the chocolate
flavor and to use vegetable oil, not butter, as the fat.
--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Jim Elbrecht > wrote:

> On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 21:37:05 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > "Polly Esther" > wrote:
> >
> >> I want to try the recipe for chocolate wafers. It calls for 3 T of whole
> >> milk. What I have here is some whipping cream which is 30% milk fat.
> >> There's also some 2% to put on my Rice Krispies. Anyone have the skills
> >> tell me what combination would be good?

> >You're thinking too much, Polly. Use 3 tablespoons of either one and
> >enjoy.

> I'm with Barb. If I was feeling real ambitious I'd make a batch
> with each and see if anyone could tell the difference. Then I'd
> post a followup in this thread.<g>

I'd think about doing what you suggest, Jim. But then I wouldn't. I'm
too lazy. I'd briefly look at the recipe. If it makes one cookie, then
I might worry about it. But for a whole batch, especially depending on
the other ingredients, it couldn't possibly make a difference. I'm
guessing that the amount of liquid is more important than the fat.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 2, 9:41*pm, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> "Polly Esther" > wrote in message

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I thank you all so much for your input. That was fun. . . and very
helpful. Heavy cream is rarely here in our refrigerator but I'd bought some
anticipating it as needed in a praline recipe I might have been forced to
try. We had successful pralines to ship off to Kuwait and didn't need to
move on to the next recipe. You all are really something. Thank you.
Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 15:49:11 -0800, Michael Siemon > wrote:

>In article >,
> "Polly Esther" > wrote:
>
>> I want to try the recipe for chocolate wafers. It calls for 3 T of whole
>> milk. What I have here is some whipping cream which is 30% milk fat.
>> There's also some 2% to put on my Rice Krispies. Anyone have the skills to
>> tell me what combination would be good? I could just go next door and
>> borrow some milk. Polly

>Whole milk is ~3.25% butterfat. You'd get close using 1/2 tsp. 30% cream
>and 8.5 tsp (2 Tbsp + 2 tsp + 1/2 tsp) 2% milk.

....and, to give credit where due, that's an application of algebra, not
chemistry.

-- Larry (defensive math major ...)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 02/01/2012 6:41 PM, Polly Esther wrote:
> I want to try the recipe for chocolate wafers. It calls for 3 T of whole
> milk. What I have here is some whipping cream which is 30% milk fat.
> There's also some 2% to put on my Rice Krispies. Anyone have the skills
> to tell me what combination would be good? I could just go next door and
> borrow some milk. Polly

Two percent would be closer. It is 3 tablespoons. How much difference
could it make?