Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Time for defrosting

My fridge is just about empty so time for an easy scrubbing for that
beast. The top freezer doesn't have much in it, so easy to scrub that
out quickly. That one is self-defrosting.

My downstairs freezer isn't a no-frost one, and it's been cold enough
outside to think about putting most in a couple of coolers outside to
get it done.

What's your best method for defrosting a freezer? I usually use pots of
boiling water, but this freezer is downstairs, the kitchen is upstairs.
First time for this since getting the freezer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> My fridge is just about empty so time for an easy scrubbing for that
> beast. The top freezer doesn't have much in it, so easy to scrub that out
> quickly. That one is self-defrosting.
>
> My downstairs freezer isn't a no-frost one, and it's been cold enough
> outside to think about putting most in a couple of coolers outside to get
> it done.
>
> What's your best method for defrosting a freezer? I usually use pots of
> boiling water, but this freezer is downstairs, the kitchen is upstairs.
> First time for this since getting the freezer.

just turn a fan on it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 21:12:12 -0500, Cheryl >
wrote:

>What's your best method for defrosting a freezer? I usually use pots of
>boiling water, but this freezer is downstairs, the kitchen is upstairs.
> First time for this since getting the freezer.

My favorite method is to have my wife do it. My second favorite is to
use anything warm. Boiling water is good, but hot water from the sink
helps too, if one is nearby.

Do you have a hair dryer? That can add some heat to the box and get
things started.

Just be sure never to get anxious and start poking away with sharp
objects. Many a freezer has been ruined that way.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 21:12:12 -0500, Cheryl >
> wrote:
>

>>What's your best method for defrosting a freezer? I usually use pots of
>>boiling water, but this freezer is downstairs, the kitchen is upstairs.
>> First time for this since getting the freezer.

> My favorite method is to have my wife do it. My second favorite is to
> use anything warm. Boiling water is good, but hot water from the sink
> helps too, if one is nearby.
>
> Do you have a hair dryer? That can add some heat to the box and get
> things started.
>
> Just be sure never to get anxious and start poking away with sharp
> objects. Many a freezer has been ruined that way.

But FIRST ! put a pan beneath the freezer and lay the little hose drainer
thing in it; then open the stopper/whatever ( if any) that lets water run
into it. You want the deepest pan you have that will slide under the freezer
and you want to check on it frequently. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> My fridge is just about empty so time for an easy scrubbing for that
> beast. The top freezer doesn't have much in it, so easy to scrub that out
> quickly. That one is self-defrosting.
>
> My downstairs freezer isn't a no-frost one, and it's been cold enough
> outside to think about putting most in a couple of coolers outside to get
> it done.
>
> What's your best method for defrosting a freezer? I usually use pots of
> boiling water, but this freezer is downstairs, the kitchen is upstairs.
> First time for this since getting the freezer.

I was going to defrost mine but then it occurred to me that since it is in
the garage, it would need some kind of help to get warm enough to defrost!
Duh. I have some spray bottles of stuff that I bought that are supposed to
hasten the defrosting. Don't know if that actually works or not. My
freezer came with a little ice scraper. I just used it on the obvious ice
that was up near the top. That will have to do for now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/29/2011 7:12 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> My fridge is just about empty so time for an easy scrubbing for that
> beast. The top freezer doesn't have much in it, so easy to scrub that
> out quickly. That one is self-defrosting.
>
> My downstairs freezer isn't a no-frost one, and it's been cold enough
> outside to think about putting most in a couple of coolers outside to
> get it done.
>
> What's your best method for defrosting a freezer? I usually use pots of
> boiling water, but this freezer is downstairs, the kitchen is upstairs.
> First time for this since getting the freezer.

Our freezer is in the garage and I use the boiling water in a kettle
method. Could you put boiling water in a crock pot turned on high?

Husband once showed me how to defrost our former freezer with a hair
dryer. It worked well except he melted one of the door shelves enough
so it sagged a few inches. I went back to boiling water.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 22:12:05 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>My favorite method is to have my wife do it. My second favorite is to
>use anything warm. Boiling water is good, but hot water from the sink
>helps too, if one is nearby.

First method should be to buy a self-defrosting freezer. 8

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gloria.p" > wrote in message
> On 12/29/2011 7:12 PM, Cheryl wrote:
>> My fridge is just about empty so time for an easy scrubbing for that
>> beast. The top freezer doesn't have much in it, so easy to scrub that
>> out quickly. That one is self-defrosting.
>>
>> My downstairs freezer isn't a no-frost one, and it's been cold enough
>> outside to think about putting most in a couple of coolers outside to
>> get it done.
>>
>> What's your best method for defrosting a freezer? I usually use pots of
>> boiling water, but this freezer is downstairs, the kitchen is upstairs.
>> First time for this since getting the freezer.

> Our freezer is in the garage and I use the boiling water in a kettle
> method. Could you put boiling water in a crock pot turned on high?
>
> Husband once showed me how to defrost our former freezer with a hair
> dryer. It worked well except he melted one of the door shelves enough
> so it sagged a few inches. I went back to boiling water.
>
> gloria p

what the heck are you folks doing? Just turn a fan on and let the room air
circulate into the freezer. It will defrost likity split, and big chunks of
ice will fall off.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pico Rico wrote:

> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
> >
> > What's your best method for defrosting a freezer? I usually use pots of
> > boiling water, but this freezer is downstairs, the kitchen is upstairs.
> > First time for this since getting the freezer.

> just turn a fan on it.

Agreed. I have a big box fan, which I hang in front
of the freezer using a broomstick through the handle.
The rest of the broom lies flat on the top of the fridge
with a weight on it to counterbalance the fan.

The blast of room temperature air rapidly melts the ice.
(Rapid compared to any other method I've used, that is.)

I tape a wide sheet of plastic film to the walls of the
fridge to act as a funnel for the water dripping down.
The funnel directs it all into a bucket.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 21:12:12 -0500, Cheryl >
> wrote:
>

>>What's your best method for defrosting a freezer? I usually use pots of
>>boiling water, but this freezer is downstairs, the kitchen is upstairs.
>> First time for this since getting the freezer.

> My favorite method is to have my wife do it. My second favorite is to
> use anything warm. Boiling water is good, but hot water from the sink
> helps too, if one is nearby.
>
> Do you have a hair dryer? That can add some heat to the box and get
> things started.
>
> Just be sure never to get anxious and start poking away with sharp
> objects. Many a freezer has been ruined that way.

I use a wooden spatula.
--
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Cheryl > wrote:

> What's your best method for defrosting a freezer? I usually use pots of
> boiling water, but this freezer is downstairs, the kitchen is upstairs.
> First time for this since getting the freezer.

Washer and dryer are in the basement and the tubs are arms length from
the freezer. Hot water, swapped out frequently, is my first choice. A
hair dryer is helpful, too. My basement is cool and I just put the
goods in boxes while I'm defrosting -- cover them with a rug or
something to add a bit of insulation for keeping things cold.
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller September 5, 2011
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gloria.p" wrote:
>Cheryl wrote:
>>
>> My fridge is just about empty so time for an easy scrubbing for that
>> beast. The top freezer doesn't have much in it, so easy to scrub that
>> out quickly. That one is self-defrosting.
>>
>> My downstairs freezer isn't a no-frost one, and it's been cold enough
>> outside to think about putting most in a couple of coolers outside to
>> get it done.
>>
>> What's your best method for defrosting a freezer? I usually use pots of
>> boiling water, but this freezer is downstairs, the kitchen is upstairs.
>> First time for this since getting the freezer.

With your freezer emptied simply unplug it and leave the door open...
there is really no reason to speed up the defrosting process, not
unless your life is so barren that you have nothing more interesting
to occupy yourself. If you really, really gotta watch ice melt fix
yerself a gin n' tonic.

>Our freezer is in the garage

A garage is never a good choice for a refrigerator/freezer...
household units are designed to operate within normal living
temperatures.... any extremes will damage/shorten its life.
http://www.geappliances.com/search/f...e/10000320.htm

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 29, 10:37*pm, wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 22:12:05 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
> >My favorite method is to have my wife do it. *My second favorite is to
> >use anything warm. *Boiling water is good, but hot water from the sink
> >helps too, if one is nearby.

> First method should be to buy a self-defrosting freezer. 8
>
> -- Larry

^5!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 29, 10:46*pm, "Pico Rico" > wrote:

> what the heck are you folks doing? *Just turn a fan on and let the room air
> circulate into the freezer. *It will defrost likity split, and big chunks of
> ice will fall off.

I gotta agree; this is the best method if you don't have a frost-free
freezer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 21:12:12 -0500, Cheryl wrote:
>
>> What's your best method for defrosting a freezer?

> In 1989 and before, I would unplug and let it sit until ice starts
> falling out of it.

.... and now?

--
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 08:16:20 -0800 (PST), ItsJoanNotJoann
> wrote:

>On Dec 29, 10:46*pm, "Pico Rico" > wrote:
>>
>> what the heck are you folks doing? *Just turn a fan on and let the room air
>> circulate into the freezer. *It will defrost likity split, and big chunks of
>> ice will fall off.
>>

>I gotta agree; this is the best method if you don't have a frost-free
>freezer.

Actually a fan will likely slow thawing... a fan will increase
evaporation therefore *lowering* the temperature. Were I in a hurry
I'd place a large pot of boiled water into the freezer and close the
door... repeat as needed.

People who think their old fashioned defrost units cost less to
operate are fooling themselves, the smallest ice build up decreases
efficiency and as the ice is allowed to become thicker and thicker the
unit becomes more and more inefficient. I've owned the kind of
refrigerator freezer that needed defrosting and I can attest to the
fact that they do not save power, and due to the ice build up they
don't hold foods very well, and most folks don't defrost them until
the ice builds to an intolerable level. There's no savings, none.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 30, 12:38*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 08:16:20 -0800 (PST), ItsJoanNotJoann
>
> > wrote:
>
> >On Dec 29, 10:46*pm, "Pico Rico" > wrote:

> >> what the heck are you folks doing? *Just turn a fan on and let the room air
> >> circulate into the freezer. *It will defrost likity split, and big chunks of
> >> ice will fall off.

> >I gotta agree; this is the best method if you don't have a frost-free
> >freezer.

> Actually a fan will likely slow thawing... a fan will increase
> evaporation therefore *lowering* the temperature. *Were I in a hurry
> I'd place a large pot of boiled water into the freezer and close the
> door... repeat as needed.

I'm not going to agree on this but I'll admit it's been at least a
hundred years since I've had to do that unpleasant job.

> People who think their old fashioned defrost units cost less to
> operate are fooling themselves, the smallest ice build up decreases
> efficiency and as the ice is allowed to become thicker and thicker the
> unit becomes more and more inefficient. *I've owned the kind of
> refrigerator freezer that needed defrosting and I can attest to the
> fact that they do not save power, and due to the ice build up they
> don't hold foods very well, and most folks don't defrost them until
> the ice builds to an intolerable level. *There's no savings, none.

This I will agree with you 100%!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 13:00:50 -0800 (PST), ItsJoanNotJoann
> wrote:

>On Dec 30, 12:38*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 08:16:20 -0800 (PST), ItsJoanNotJoann
>>
>> > wrote:

>> >I gotta agree; this is the best method if you don't have a frost-free
>> >freezer.

>> Actually a fan will likely slow thawing... a fan will increase
>> evaporation therefore *lowering* the temperature. *Were I in a hurry
>> I'd place a large pot of boiled water into the freezer and close the
>> door... repeat as needed.
>>

>I'm not going to agree on this but I'll admit it's been at least a
>hundred years since I've had to do that unpleasant job.
>>

>> People who think their old fashioned defrost units cost less to
>> operate are fooling themselves, the smallest ice build up decreases
>> efficiency and as the ice is allowed to become thicker and thicker the
>> unit becomes more and more inefficient. *I've owned the kind of
>> refrigerator freezer that needed defrosting and I can attest to the
>> fact that they do not save power, and due to the ice build up they
>> don't hold foods very well, and most folks don't defrost them until
>> the ice builds to an intolerable level. *There's no savings, none.

>This I will agree with you 100%!

The real reason that people buy those old style manual defrost units
is because the initial outlay to buy them is substantially less than
frost free, yet they rationalize (falsely) how they save energy. I
have two refrigerator freezers with top freezers, between both
freezers I have more than enough storage space (9 cu ft of freezer)
plus I have tons of fridge space... I find the extra fridge space far
more valuable than just freezer space in a huge stand alone freezer...
and what if that monster dies in summer. I don't see the point in
stocking up on frozen foods anyway when you can let the stupidmarket
freezers hold your food until you need it and save your money in an
interest bearing account rather than give it to the storekeeper for
something you won't make use of for months and it may even spoil... in
the US meat and frozen foods are on sale every day. I think people
who are obssessed to the point of needing a ton of frozen foods to
feel secure do so because of fear, they grew up very impoverished and
went to bed hungry... there's no other logical explanation.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 13:00:50 -0800 (PST), ItsJoanNotJoann
> wrote:

> > Actually a fan will likely slow thawing... a fan will increase
> > evaporation therefore *lowering* the temperature. *Were I in a hurry
> > I'd place a large pot of boiled water into the freezer and close the
> > door... repeat as needed.
> >

> I'm not going to agree on this but I'll admit it's been at least a
> hundred years since I've had to do that unpleasant job.

I hated it too. When I had a stand alone upright freezer, I'd unload
it into Igloos and leave the door open to defrost it. It was in the
basement, but it defrosted enough in a few hours that I could easily
pull off any remaining ice and wash/wipe it down.
--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Time for de CAKE! Then time for defrosting.

(sorry, I waited as long as I could)

-Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 29, 9:12*pm, Cheryl > wrote:
> My fridge is just about empty so time for an easy scrubbing for that
> beast. *The top freezer doesn't have much in it, so easy to scrub that
> out quickly. That one is self-defrosting.
>
> My downstairs freezer isn't a no-frost one, and it's been cold enough
> outside to think about putting most in a couple of coolers outside to
> get it done.
>
> What's your best method for defrosting a freezer? *I usually use pots of
> boiling water, but this freezer is downstairs, the kitchen is upstairs.
> * First time for this since getting the freezer.

I can recall having to defrost - ugh.

I used to put three large, dry skillets on the stove to get good and
hot, then I'd 'brand' the ice with the hot pan, rotating and sopping
up as the water formed. Used to melt really fast. This is quicker
than the hair dryer or hot water method.

Thank heaven for frost free.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
>> My fridge is just about empty so time for an easy scrubbing for that
>> beast. The top freezer doesn't have much in it, so easy to scrub that out
>> quickly. That one is self-defrosting.
>>
>> My downstairs freezer isn't a no-frost one, and it's been cold enough
>> outside to think about putting most in a couple of coolers outside to get
>> it done.
>>
>> What's your best method for defrosting a freezer? I usually use pots of
>> boiling water, but this freezer is downstairs, the kitchen is upstairs.
>> First time for this since getting the freezer.

> I was going to defrost mine but then it occurred to me that since it is in
> the garage, it would need some kind of help to get warm enough to defrost!
> Duh. I have some spray bottles of stuff that I bought that are supposed to
> hasten the defrosting. Don't know if that actually works or not. My
> freezer came with a little ice scraper. I just used it on the obvious ice
> that was up near the top. That will have to do for now.

Could the spray bottles contain RV antifreeze? Propylene glycol ?

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/29/2011 10:18 PM, Polly Esther wrote:

> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 21:12:12 -0500, Cheryl >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> What's your best method for defrosting a freezer? I usually use pots of
>>> boiling water, but this freezer is downstairs, the kitchen is upstairs.
>>> First time for this since getting the freezer.

>> My favorite method is to have my wife do it. My second favorite is to
>> use anything warm. Boiling water is good, but hot water from the sink
>> helps too, if one is nearby.
>>
>> Do you have a hair dryer? That can add some heat to the box and get
>> things started.
>>
>> Just be sure never to get anxious and start poking away with sharp
>> objects. Many a freezer has been ruined that way.

Thanks. It's been a while since I've had to defrost a freezer. I
remember the basics.

> But FIRST ! put a pan beneath the freezer and lay the little hose
> drainer thing in it; then open the stopper/whatever ( if any) that lets
> water run into it. You want the deepest pan you have that will slide
> under the freezer and you want to check on it frequently. Polly

I will have to use towels.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/29/2011 10:50 PM, gloria.p wrote:
> On 12/29/2011 7:12 PM, Cheryl wrote:
>> My fridge is just about empty so time for an easy scrubbing for that
>> beast. The top freezer doesn't have much in it, so easy to scrub that
>> out quickly. That one is self-defrosting.
>>
>> My downstairs freezer isn't a no-frost one, and it's been cold enough
>> outside to think about putting most in a couple of coolers outside to
>> get it done.
>>
>> What's your best method for defrosting a freezer? I usually use pots of
>> boiling water, but this freezer is downstairs, the kitchen is upstairs.
>> First time for this since getting the freezer.

> Our freezer is in the garage and I use the boiling water in a kettle
> method. Could you put boiling water in a crock pot turned on high?
>
> Husband once showed me how to defrost our former freezer with a hair
> dryer. It worked well except he melted one of the door shelves enough
> so it sagged a few inches. I went back to boiling water.

I'm a little hesitant to put anything in that's electric, but I can
remember my dad using his shop vac on reverse to do their big freezer.
I might try the fan method along with pots of hot water. I'm doing it
tomorrow, so I can just let it go all day. Thanks for the ideas. I
think if some of the ice is very dense, I'll try the hair dryer along
with it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/29/2011 11:46 PM, Pico Rico wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> On 12/29/2011 7:12 PM, Cheryl wrote:
>>> My fridge is just about empty so time for an easy scrubbing for that
>>> beast. The top freezer doesn't have much in it, so easy to scrub that
>>> out quickly. That one is self-defrosting.
>>>
>>> My downstairs freezer isn't a no-frost one, and it's been cold enough
>>> outside to think about putting most in a couple of coolers outside to
>>> get it done.
>>>
>>> What's your best method for defrosting a freezer? I usually use pots of
>>> boiling water, but this freezer is downstairs, the kitchen is upstairs.
>>> First time for this since getting the freezer.

>> Our freezer is in the garage and I use the boiling water in a kettle
>> method. Could you put boiling water in a crock pot turned on high?
>>
>> Husband once showed me how to defrost our former freezer with a hair
>> dryer. It worked well except he melted one of the door shelves enough
>> so it sagged a few inches. I went back to boiling water.
>>
>> gloria p

> what the heck are you folks doing? Just turn a fan on and let the room air
> circulate into the freezer. It will defrost likity split, and big chunks of
> ice will fall off.

Room temp is about 50F where the freezer is downstairs during the winter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/30/2011 10:53 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>> What's your best method for defrosting a freezer? I usually use pots of
>> boiling water, but this freezer is downstairs, the kitchen is upstairs.
>> First time for this since getting the freezer.

> Washer and dryer are in the basement and the tubs are arms length from
> the freezer. Hot water, swapped out frequently, is my first choice. A
> hair dryer is helpful, too. My basement is cool and I just put the
> goods in boxes while I'm defrosting -- cover them with a rug or
> something to add a bit of insulation for keeping things cold.

I think this is how I'm going to do it. Thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/30/2011 12:34 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 21:12:12 -0500, Cheryl wrote:
>>
>>> What's your best method for defrosting a freezer?

>> In 1989 and before, I would unplug and let it sit until ice starts
>> falling out of it.

> ... and now?

Heh. I think he's saying he doesn't have to defrost a freezer anymore.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/30/2011 7:15 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> On Dec 29, 9:12 pm, > wrote:
>> My fridge is just about empty so time for an easy scrubbing for that
>> beast. The top freezer doesn't have much in it, so easy to scrub that
>> out quickly. That one is self-defrosting.
>>
>> My downstairs freezer isn't a no-frost one, and it's been cold enough
>> outside to think about putting most in a couple of coolers outside to
>> get it done.
>>
>> What's your best method for defrosting a freezer? I usually use pots of
>> boiling water, but this freezer is downstairs, the kitchen is upstairs.
>> First time for this since getting the freezer.

> I can recall having to defrost - ugh.
>
> I used to put three large, dry skillets on the stove to get good and
> hot, then I'd 'brand' the ice with the hot pan, rotating and sopping
> up as the water formed. Used to melt really fast. This is quicker
> than the hair dryer or hot water method.
>
> Thank heaven for frost free.

Sounds like an interesting idea. As clumsy as I've been lately (broken
ribs) I'd probably burn myself. Actually, even my
refrigerator/freezer unit is my first ever frost-free, and even sadder,
my new oven is my first ever self-cleaning. lol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 30, 5:56*pm, zxcvbob > wrote:

> Time for de CAKE! *Then time for defrosting.
>
> (sorry, I waited as long as I could)
>
> -Bob

Grooooan. Go join Andy in the corner.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/30/2011 9:06 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> "gloria.p" wrote:

>> Our freezer is in the garage

> A garage is never a good choice for a refrigerator/freezer...
> household units are designed to operate within normal living
> temperatures.... any extremes will damage/shorten its life.
> http://www.geappliances.com/search/f...e/10000320.htm

You have said that before. We have had a garage freezer for 45+ years
in New England and Colorado. The first one lasted from 1970-2008.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ItsJoanNotJoann" > wrote in message
On Dec 30, 12:38 pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 08:16:20 -0800 (PST), ItsJoanNotJoann
>
> > wrote:
>
> >On Dec 29, 10:46 pm, "Pico Rico" > wrote:

> >> what the heck are you folks doing? Just turn a fan on and let the room
> >> air
> >> circulate into the freezer. It will defrost likity split, and big
> >> chunks of
> >> ice will fall off.

> >I gotta agree; this is the best method if you don't have a frost-free
> >freezer.

> Actually a fan will likely slow thawing... a fan will increase
> evaporation therefore *lowering* the temperature.

ridiculous!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 30, 1:38*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 08:16:20 -0800 (PST), ItsJoanNotJoann
>
> > wrote:
> >On Dec 29, 10:46*pm, "Pico Rico" > wrote:

> >> what the heck are you folks doing? *Just turn a fan on and let the room air
> >> circulate into the freezer. *It will defrost likity split, and big chunks of
> >> ice will fall off.

> >I gotta agree; this is the best method if you don't have a frost-free
> >freezer.

> Actually a fan will likely slow thawing... a fan will increase
> evaporation therefore *lowering* the temperature. *Were I in a hurry
> I'd place a large pot of boiled water into the freezer and close the
> door... repeat as needed.

I defrost our circa 1960 upright freezer once a year. The fastest way
to defrost it is with a fan blowing on it. The fan keeps the air
circulating so that the cold air around the ice is constantly being
replaced by warmer air from the room. Evaporation does play a part,
but it has nothing to do with cooling. In fact, it speeds up the
process. If you just let a freezer defrost on its own, when the ice
begins to melt the cold water will sit on top of the ice and slow down
the melting process. If this water is quickly evaporated or blown
away by a fan it exposes more fresh ice so it can be melted all the
more faster.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> On 12/29/2011 11:46 PM, Pico Rico wrote:
>> > wrote in message

>>> Our freezer is in the garage and I use the boiling water in a kettle
>>> method. Could you put boiling water in a crock pot turned on high?
>>>
>>> Husband once showed me how to defrost our former freezer with a hair
>>> dryer. It worked well except he melted one of the door shelves enough
>>> so it sagged a few inches. I went back to boiling water.
>>>
>>> gloria p

>> what the heck are you folks doing? Just turn a fan on and let the room
>> air
>> circulate into the freezer. It will defrost likity split, and big chunks
>> of
>> ice will fall off.
>>

> Room temp is about 50F where the freezer is downstairs during the winter.

NEWS FLASH: 50 degrees WILL melt ice!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gloria.p" > wrote in message
> On 12/30/2011 9:06 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> "gloria.p" wrote:

>>> Our freezer is in the garage

>> A garage is never a good choice for a refrigerator/freezer...
>> household units are designed to operate within normal living
>> temperatures.... any extremes will damage/shorten its life.
>> http://www.geappliances.com/search/f...e/10000320.htm
>>

> You have said that before. We have had a garage freezer for 45+ years in
> New England and Colorado. The first one lasted from 1970-2008.

But of course. The link does NOT say anything about a shortened life.

I also think it is funny that is says at 32 degrees, the refrigerator will
loose its ability to cool.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 13:00:50 -0800 (PST), ItsJoanNotJoann
> > wrote:
>
>>On Dec 30, 12:38 pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>>>
>>> On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 08:16:20 -0800 (PST), ItsJoanNotJoann

>>> Actually a fan will likely slow thawing... a fan will increase
>>> evaporation therefore *lowering* the temperature. Were I in a hurry
>>> I'd place a large pot of boiled water into the freezer and close the
>>> door... repeat as needed.
>>>

>>I'm not going to agree on this but I'll admit it's been at least a
>>hundred years since I've had to do that unpleasant job.
>>>

>>> People who think their old fashioned defrost units cost less to
>>> operate are fooling themselves, the smallest ice build up decreases
>>> efficiency and as the ice is allowed to become thicker and thicker the
>>> unit becomes more and more inefficient. I've owned the kind of
>>> refrigerator freezer that needed defrosting and I can attest to the
>>> fact that they do not save power, and due to the ice build up they
>>> don't hold foods very well, and most folks don't defrost them until
>>> the ice builds to an intolerable level. There's no savings, none.

>>This I will agree with you 100%!

> The real reason that people buy those old style manual defrost units
> is because the initial outlay to buy them is substantially less than
> frost free, yet they rationalize (falsely) how they save energy. I
> have two refrigerator freezers with top freezers, between both
> freezers I have more than enough storage space (9 cu ft of freezer)
> plus I have tons of fridge space... I find the extra fridge space far
> more valuable than just freezer space in a huge stand alone freezer...
> and what if that monster dies in summer. I don't see the point in
> stocking up on frozen foods anyway when you can let the stupidmarket
> freezers hold your food until you need it and save your money in an
> interest bearing account rather than give it to the storekeeper for
> something you won't make use of for months and it may even spoil... in
> the US meat and frozen foods are on sale every day. I think people
> who are obssessed to the point of needing a ton of frozen foods to
> feel secure do so because of fear, they grew up very impoverished and
> went to bed hungry... there's no other logical explanation.

I have a side by side refrigerator. It isn't really enough room. When it
is just the two of us, it is fine. But when my husband is home, it is not.
We have a little fridge. The freezer in that is pretty useless except to
store blue ice in and we do at times need a lot of that. This time of year
we keep drinks that don't require refrigeration in the garage. It might not
be a safe temp. for things that require refrigeration but it keeps drinks
cold enough to be suitably drinkable. This time of year we use the little
fridge for excess room.

Part of our problem now is all the insulin I use. That alone takes up most
of one drawer in the big fridge. The only other things that ever go in the
drawer are excess butter, margarine and flat packs of meat like lunch meat
and bacon. Really nothing else would fit. I can't put the insulin in the
little fridge because from time to time it will freeze inside. The little
fridge does require defrosting. At the time we bought it there were no
little ones that didn't require that. But because the freezer is only used
for blue ice, I don't care if is icy. It's only a problem if the ice
reaches the fridge.

I would have loved a second large fridge/freezer but the only place we could
put one is in the back house. Not only is that not convenient but not
recommended because we do not normally put heat on back there. There is
heat in the building and my husband will use it on occasion if he is in
there. But most of the time during the winter it gets very cold in there.
It is not recommended to put a fridge in a very cold room because that could
cause the fridge to run too cold.

In the garage is a chest freezer. An upright would have been preferable but
it wouldn't fit in there. Again, we could have put an upright in the back
house but again it wouldn't be convenient. The only small chest freezers we
could find were not self defrosting. I don't know why.

We didn't buy these because they were cheaper than the self defrosting. We
bought them because they were the sizes that would fit in our house.

My parents have an upright fridge with little crappy upper freezer in their
laundry room in the basement. They bought is solely for drinks. When the
whole family goes over there they need a wide variety of drinks. Each of us
has our preferred drink. And they buy us each what it is that we like.
Highly inconvenient to have to keep going down there for drinks though. I
always sneak an extra one or two of mine into the fridge upstairs even
though my mom has told me that is forbidden.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 13:00:50 -0800 (PST), ItsJoanNotJoann
> > wrote:
>
>> > Actually a fan will likely slow thawing... a fan will increase
>> > evaporation therefore *lowering* the temperature. Were I in a hurry
>> > I'd place a large pot of boiled water into the freezer and close the
>> > door... repeat as needed.
>> >

>> I'm not going to agree on this but I'll admit it's been at least a
>> hundred years since I've had to do that unpleasant job.

> I hated it too. When I had a stand alone upright freezer, I'd unload
> it into Igloos and leave the door open to defrost it. It was in the
> basement, but it defrosted enough in a few hours that I could easily
> pull off any remaining ice and wash/wipe it down.

I had an upright fridge/freezer that required defrosting and it wasn't such
a big deal for me. In those days I didn't keep much food at all in the
fridge and rarely anything in the freezer. I could make do with a cheap
Styrofoam cooler and some blue ice. Took about 2 or 3 hours at the most and
I did it twice a year.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pico Rico" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> "gloria.p" > wrote in message
>> On 12/30/2011 9:06 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>> "gloria.p" wrote:

>>> A garage is never a good choice for a refrigerator/freezer...
>>> household units are designed to operate within normal living
>>> temperatures.... any extremes will damage/shorten its life.
>>> http://www.geappliances.com/search/f...e/10000320.htm
>>>

>> You have said that before. We have had a garage freezer for 45+ years in
>> New England and Colorado. The first one lasted from 1970-2008.
>>

> But of course. The link does NOT say anything about a shortened life.
>
> I also think it is funny that is says at 32 degrees, the refrigerator will
> loose its ability to cool.

I know my refrigerator doesn't work unless it is in 13°C or up, but I do
have a freezer in the garage. The harage is stone, thick walled and small.
It also holds the boiler for the central heating and the water softener in
it. The three appliances generate enough heat to make a warmish night place
for cats. I left them a roll of landscaping felt for a couch and they are
pleased. So are all the appliances.

Posted to rec.food.cooking