Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Lemon Pudding Cake recipe I promised someone a few days ago

Here is the recipe I promised, sorry - I don't remember who it was so
I'm posting it for everyone to see. I have several recipes in my file
and I usually make the one with Meyer lemons and buttermilk, but DIL's
was so good - I wanted to post the recipe she used and it calls for
regular milk. Meyers grow in everyone's back yards here, so they're
easy to find. Your pudding cake will be a little tarter if you use
regular grocery store lemons, but it will still be delicious.

Meyer Lemon Pudding Cakes
http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/reci...ng-cake-recipe

Ingredients

1/3 cup(s) sugar
1/4 cup(s) sugar, plus additional for ramekins
1/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
2 Meyer or regular lemons (up to 3)
3 large eggs, separated
2 tablespoon(s) butter or margarine, melted and cooled
1 cup(s) whole milk
1 pint(s) raspberries, for garnish
Fresh mint sprigs, for garnish

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease eight 4- to 5-ounce
ramekins; sprinkle with sugar to coat bottoms and sides. Shake out any
excess.

On sheet of waxed paper, with fork, combine flour, 1/3 cup sugar,
and salt. From lemons, grate 1 1/2 tablespoons peel and squeeze 1/2
cup juice. In large bowl, with wire whisk, beat egg yolks and lemon
peel and juice. Whisk in butter and milk. Gradually whisk in flour
mixture.

In another large bowl, with mixer on medium speed, beat egg whites
until foamy. Gradually beat in remaining 1/4 cup sugar until soft
peaks form when beaters are lifted, about 2 to 3 minutes.

Add one-third beaten whites to yolk mixture and, with rubber
spatula, stir gently until incorporated. Gently fold in remaining
whites until just incorporated. With ladle, divide batter evenly among
prepared ramekins.

Arrange ramekins 1 inch apart in large (17-inch by 13-inch)
roasting pan. Fill pan with enough hot water to come halfway up sides
of ramekins. Carefully transfer pan to oven and bake 30 to 35 minutes
or until cakes are golden brown and tops rise 1/2 inch above rims.

Cool cakes in pan on wire rack 5 minutes. With sturdy metal
spatula, carefully remove ramekins from pan with water and transfer to
wire rack to cool 15 minutes longer.

Run thin knife around edge of 1 ramekin. Place small serving plate
on top of ramekin and invert plate and ramekin together; remove
ramekin. Repeat with remaining ramekins. Garnish each cake with a
couple of raspberries and a mint sprig; serve warm.

Read mo Meyer Lemon Pudding Cakes Recipe - Good Housekeeping

--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote in
:

> Meyer Lemon Pudding Cakes
> http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/reci...pudding-cake-r
> ecipe

Could almost be called a lemon souffle !!

And I was just wondering about this next part.... what's the significance
of mixing the flour on waxed paper?

Me... I'd just chuck it in a bowl/container and mix it with a fork....
probably less messy too :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Skydiving: Where immortality is touched through danger,
where life meets death on equal plane;
where man is more than man, and existence both supreme and valueless at the
same instant.

--- Charles A. Lindbergh ---
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 21:58:35 +0000 (UTC), "I'm Back!!"
> wrote:

> sf > wrote in
> :
>

> > Meyer Lemon Pudding Cakes
> > http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/reci...pudding-cake-r
> > ecipe

> Could almost be called a lemon souffle !!

It separates into lemon pudding on the bottom and a very, very thin
cake-like layer on top.

> And I was just wondering about this next part.... what's the significance
> of mixing the flour on waxed paper?
>
> Me... I'd just chuck it in a bowl/container and mix it with a fork....
> probably less messy too :-)
>

> > On sheet of waxed paper, with fork, combine flour, 1/3 cup sugar,
> > and salt. From lemons, grate 1 1/2 tablespoons peel and squeeze 1/2
> > cup juice. In large bowl, with wire whisk, beat egg yolks and lemon
> > peel and juice. Whisk in butter and milk. Gradually whisk in flour
> > mixture.

I think the waxed paper is supposed to make it easier to "dump" the
dry mixture into the mixing bowl, but I don't bother.
--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote in
:

> On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 21:58:35 +0000 (UTC), "I'm Back!!"
> > wrote:
>
>> sf > wrote in
>> :
>>

>> > Meyer Lemon Pudding Cakes
>> > http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/reci...on-pudding-cak
>> > e-r ecipe

>> Could almost be called a lemon souffle !!

> It separates into lemon pudding on the bottom and a very, very thin
> cake-like layer on top.

Hmmmmmm, sounds like something the SO (being the lemon freak she is) would
enjoy.

Thanks for the recipe.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

Skydiving: Where immortality is touched through danger,
where life meets death on equal plane;
where man is more than man, and existence both supreme and valueless at the
same instant.

--- Charles A. Lindbergh ---
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 00:07:37 +0000 (UTC), "I'm Back!!"
> wrote:

> sf > wrote in
> :
>
> > On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 21:58:35 +0000 (UTC), "I'm Back!!"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> sf > wrote in
> >> :

> >> Could almost be called a lemon souffle !!

> > It separates into lemon pudding on the bottom and a very, very thin
> > cake-like layer on top.

> Hmmmmmm, sounds like something the SO (being the lemon freak she is) would
> enjoy.
>
> Thanks for the recipe.

YW, I'm sure she'll like it. If she likes cake, especially pound
cakes... look up one that uses extra virgin olive oil, rosemary and
lemon. Here's an example (all it needs is lemon):
http://ceramiccanvas.com/2010/05/ros...live-oil-cake/