FoodBanter.com

-   -   Vegan sweetened condensed milk substitute (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/414142-vegan-sweetened-condensed-milk.html)

Jim Elbrecht 21-12-2011 04:01 PM

Vegan sweetened condensed milk substitute

One of my daughter's favorite 'cookies' are the apricot, coconut,
walnut balls that are just mixed with sweetened condensed milk.

So I went looking for some substitutes. Many of them were real
time consuming or complicated so I used what I learned and came up
with this. I don't know how this will cook up, but raw it was
actually an improvement in these no-bake cookies.

1 can Coconut Cream
1/2 cup Agave nectar syrup

simmer to 242F on a candy thermometer.
xxxxx

It is the perfect 'sweet goo' to tie 4 cups each of shredded coconut &
chopped apricots, and 2 cups of chopped walnuts together.

I used 14oz of the goo. it made a bit more than that, but I used a
1/2 cup or so to make some vegan caramel last night. [that worked
well, too. I just cooked it some more in a saute pan until it looked
right.]

Jim

Serene Vannoy 22-12-2011 06:51 PM

On 12/21/2011 08:01 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> One of my daughter's favorite 'cookies' are the apricot, coconut,
> walnut balls that are just mixed with sweetened condensed milk.
>
> So I went looking for some substitutes. Many of them were real
> time consuming or complicated so I used what I learned and came up
> with this. I don't know how this will cook up, but raw it was
> actually an improvement in these no-bake cookies.
>
> 1 can Coconut Cream
> 1/2 cup Agave nectar syrup
>
> simmer to 242F on a candy thermometer.

Awesome! Thanks for posting this.

Serene

--
http://www.momfoodproject.com

Brooklyn1 22-12-2011 08:14 PM

Vegan sweetened condensed milk substitute

On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 10:51:13 -0800, Serene Vannoy
> wrote:

>On 12/21/2011 08:01 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
>> One of my daughter's favorite 'cookies' are the apricot, coconut,
>> walnut balls that are just mixed with sweetened condensed milk.
>>
>> So I went looking for some substitutes. Many of them were real
>> time consuming or complicated so I used what I learned and came up
>> with this. I don't know how this will cook up, but raw it was
>> actually an improvement in these no-bake cookies.
>>
>> 1 can Coconut Cream
>> 1/2 cup Agave nectar syrup
>>
>> simmer to 242F on a candy thermometer.

>Awesome! Thanks for posting this.

Can't be too awesome without adding to eggnog with a pint of rum. LOL