Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default A decent manual can opener?

My ancient electric Betty Crocker has lost part of the cutting
mechanism and it's headed for the trash. I've had it with noisy,
clunky, electric stuff. Is there a decent manual out there? I like
fit-in-the-drawer SMAAAAL, as it won't win countertop space. I prob.
open only one or two cans a week.

(Thank you cat food mfrs. for the pull tab lids.)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 08:37:51 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> wrote:

> My ancient electric Betty Crocker has lost part of the cutting
> mechanism and it's headed for the trash. I've had it with noisy,
> clunky, electric stuff. Is there a decent manual out there? I like
> fit-in-the-drawer SMAAAAL, as it won't win countertop space. I prob.
> open only one or two cans a week.
>
> (Thank you cat food mfrs. for the pull tab lids.)

I have a couple of manual can openers that I've used for years &
years, not even sure if they're sold anymore. One is by Swing-A-Way
and the other by Good Cook. Swing-A-Way is the lighter of the two. I
have a junior sized Swing-A-Way model in a picnic basket somewhere, so
if you're looking for something smaller, it was available back when I
was in the acquisition phase.
--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message

> My ancient electric Betty Crocker has lost part of the cutting
> mechanism and it's headed for the trash. I've had it with noisy,
> clunky, electric stuff. Is there a decent manual out there? I
> like
> fit-in-the-drawer SMAAAAL, as it won't win countertop space. I
> prob.
> open only one or two cans a week.

After tossing any number of unsatisfactory manuals, I happened upon
the Oxo Good Grips, and I love it.

http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips...4314078&sr=8-3

or, of course, http://tinyurl.com/6t6g2yc

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 19, 11:37*am, Kalmia > wrote:
> Myancient electric Betty Crocker has lost part of the cuttingmechanismand it's headed for the trash. *I've had it with noisy,clunky, electric stuff. *Is thereadecent manual out there? * I likefit-in-the-drawer SMAAAAL,as it won't win countertop space. *I prob.open only one or two cansaweek..
>
> (Thank you cat food mfrs. for the pull tab lids.)

I found an excellent manual can opener at IKEA in Edmonton. I
purchased it in 2003, and it is still going strong. It hasn't opened
many cans though. Maybe about 50? If that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 08:37:51 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> wrote:

>My ancient electric Betty Crocker has lost part of the cutting
>mechanism and it's headed for the trash. I've had it with noisy,
>clunky, electric stuff. Is there a decent manual out there? I like
>fit-in-the-drawer SMAAAAL, as it won't win countertop space. I prob.
>open only one or two cans a week.
>
>(Thank you cat food mfrs. for the pull tab lids.)

Swing-A-Way. Under 10 bucks and they last forever.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:
> My ancient electric Betty Crocker has lost part of the cutting
> mechanism and it's headed for the trash. I've had it with noisy,
> clunky, electric stuff. Is there a decent manual out there? I like
> fit-in-the-drawer SMAAAAL, as it won't win countertop space. I prob.
> open only one or two cans a week.
>
> (Thank you cat food mfrs. for the pull tab lids.)

Swing-Away. Get the full-sized one, not the Jr.

Some of the knockoffs are just as good or even better, but some of them
are crap. So buy the original. Clean and oil it a couple of times per
year and it'll last forever.

-Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/19/2011 10:06 AM, Felice wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
>> My ancient electric Betty Crocker has lost part of the cutting
>> mechanism and it's headed for the trash. I've had it with noisy,
>> clunky, electric stuff. Is there a decent manual out there? I
>> like
>> fit-in-the-drawer SMAAAAL, as it won't win countertop space. I
>> prob.
>> open only one or two cans a week.

> After tossing any number of unsatisfactory manuals, I happened upon
> the Oxo Good Grips, and I love it.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips...4314078&sr=8-3
>
> or, of course, http://tinyurl.com/6t6g2yc

I was about to post about the glory of the OXO Good Grips manual can
opener myself, but Felice beat me to it. All I have to add is: Seconded!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 19, 11:37*am, Kalmia > wrote:
> My ancient electric Betty Crocker has lost part of the cutting
> mechanism and it's headed for the trash. *I've had it with noisy,
> clunky, electric stuff. *Is there a decent manual out there? * I like
> fit-in-the-drawer SMAAAAL, as it won't win countertop space. *I prob.
> open only one or two cans a week.
>
> (Thank you cat food mfrs. for the pull tab lids.)

I have neither an electric, nor a wall-mounted can opener like a Swing-
A-Way. I think the one in my drawer came from the housewares aisle of
a supermarket. I have one of these http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___23107
in my camping box.

So-called "smooth edge" side cutters remove the rim with the lid so
the lid has no sharp edge to slice a finger with. Instead, the top of
the can is sharp. That's hardly an improvement. It does help, though,
if you want to slide the contents out whole, like solid tuna (or cat
food).

Jerry
--
"I view the progress of science as being the slow erosion of the
tendency to dichotomize." Barbara Smuts, U. Mich.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-12-19, Pennyaline > wrote:
> On 12/19/2011 10:06 AM, Felice wrote:
>>> open only one or two cans a week.

>> After tossing any number of unsatisfactory manuals, I happened upon
>> the Oxo Good Grips, and I love it.
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips...4314078&sr=8-3
>>
>> or, of course, http://tinyurl.com/6t6g2yc

> I was about to post about the glory of the OXO Good Grips manual can
> opener myself, but Felice beat me to it. All I have to add is: Seconded!

Hopefully, it'll last longer than an Oxo vegetable peeler, which mine
is now duller than an Obama speech.

nb

--
eschew obfuscation
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/19/2011 1:12 PM, Jerry Avins wrote:
> On Dec 19, 11:37 am, > wrote:
>> My ancient electric Betty Crocker has lost part of the cutting
>> mechanism and it's headed for the trash. I've had it with noisy,
>> clunky, electric stuff. Is there a decent manual out there? I like
>> fit-in-the-drawer SMAAAAL, as it won't win countertop space. I prob.
>> open only one or two cans a week.
>>
>> (Thank you cat food mfrs. for the pull tab lids.)

> I have neither an electric, nor a wall-mounted can opener like a Swing-
> A-Way. I think the one in my drawer came from the housewares aisle of
> a supermarket. I have one of these http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___23107
> in my camping box.
>
> So-called "smooth edge" side cutters remove the rim with the lid so
> the lid has no sharp edge to slice a finger with. Instead, the top of
> the can is sharp. That's hardly an improvement. It does help, though,
> if you want to slide the contents out whole, like solid tuna (or cat
> food).
>
> Jerry
> --
> "I view the progress of science as being the slow erosion of the
> tendency to dichotomize." Barbara Smuts, U. Mich.

Some side openers slice the can and leave a sharp edge, other like the
OXO, force the lid of the can off and don't leave a sharp edge.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 19, 1:12*pm, Jerry Avins > wrote:
> On Dec 19, 11:37*am, Kalmia > wrote:
>
> > My ancient electric Betty Crocker has lost part of the cutting
> > mechanism and it's headed for the trash. *I've had it with noisy,
> > clunky, electric stuff. *Is there a decent manual out there? * I like
> > fit-in-the-drawer SMAAAAL, as it won't win countertop space. *I prob.
> > open only one or two cans a week.

> > (Thank you cat food mfrs. for the pull tab lids.)

> I have neither an electric, nor a wall-mounted can opener like a Swing-
> A-Way. I think the one in my drawer came from the housewares aisle of
> a supermarket. I have one of thesehttp://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___23107
> in my camping box.
>
> So-called "smooth edge" side cutters remove the rim with the lid so
> the lid has no sharp edge to slice a finger with. Instead, the top of
> the can is sharp. That's hardly an improvement. It does help, though,
> if you want to slide the contents out whole, like solid tuna (or cat
> food).

Oh, gee - I had one of those once. Ya had to be Man Mountain Dean to
turn the thing. Ha.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia > wrote:

> Is there a decent manual out there? I like
> fit-in-the-drawer SMAAAAL, as it won't win countertop space.

Posted befo

I use a Rösle tin opener which leaves no sharp edges either of the lid
or the tin. One of their models features built-in pliers.

This is the model I use:
<http://www.roesle.de/epages/Roesle.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Roesle/Products/xcs_3549/SubProducts/12751>

This one has built-in pliers:
<http://www.roesle.de/epages/Roesle.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Roesle/Products/xcs_3782/SubProducts/12757>

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 19, 12:44*pm, zxcvbob > wrote:
> Kalmia wrote:
> > My ancient electric Betty Crocker has lost part of the cutting
> > mechanism and it's headed for the trash. *I've had it with noisy,
> > clunky, electric stuff. *Is there a decent manual out there? * I like
> > fit-in-the-drawer SMAAAAL, as it won't win countertop space. *I prob.
> > open only one or two cans a week.

> > (Thank you cat food mfrs. for the pull tab lids.)

> Swing-Away. *Get the full-sized one, not the Jr.
>
> Some of the knockoffs are just as good or even better, but some of them
> are crap. *So buy the original. *Clean and oil it a couple of times per
> year and it'll last forever.
>
> -Bob

Yeah, but don't these have to be wall mounted? I want to stow it in a
drawer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 19, 3:58*pm, (Victor Sack) wrote:
> Kalmia > wrote:
> > Is there a decent manual out there? * I like
> > fit-in-the-drawer SMAAAAL, as it won't win countertop space.

> Posted befo
>
> I use a Rösle tin opener which leaves no sharp edges either of the lid
> or the tin. *One of their models features built-in pliers.
>
> This is the model I use:
> <http://www.roesle.de/epages/Roesle.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Roesle....>
>
> This one has built-in pliers:
> <http://www.roesle.de/epages/Roesle.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Roesle....>
>
> Victor

Yikes - 37 dollars? 45 for the one with pliers. I guess German
engineering costs. I'll think about it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/19/2011 5:32 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> On Dec 19, 3:58 pm, (Victor Sack) wrote:
>> > wrote:
>>> Is there a decent manual out there? I like
>>> fit-in-the-drawer SMAAAAL, as it won't win countertop space.

>> Posted befo
>>
>> I use a Rösle tin opener which leaves no sharp edges either of the lid
>> or the tin. One of their models features built-in pliers.
>>
>> This is the model I use:
>> <http://www.roesle.de/epages/Roesle.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Roesle...>
>>
>> This one has built-in pliers:
>> <http://www.roesle.de/epages/Roesle.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Roesle...>
>>
>> Victor

> Yikes - 37 dollars? 45 for the one with pliers. I guess German
> engineering costs. I'll think about it.

The OXO is about half the price, has built-in pliers and needs them!

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/19/2011 6:37 AM, Kalmia wrote:
> My ancient electric Betty Crocker has lost part of the cutting
> mechanism and it's headed for the trash. I've had it with noisy,
> clunky, electric stuff. Is there a decent manual out there? I like
> fit-in-the-drawer SMAAAAL, as it won't win countertop space. I prob.
> open only one or two cans a week.
>
> (Thank you cat food mfrs. for the pull tab lids.)

Go to a store that sells a wide variety of openers and get the heaviest,
most solidly built one you can find. Don't spend over $12 for this. A
good one will work like a dream, a cheap, flimsy, one will make your
life harder for years.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message

>>> After tossing any number of unsatisfactory manuals, I happened upon
>>> the Oxo Good Grips, and I love it.
>>>
>>> http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips...4314078&sr=8-3
>>>
>>> or, of course, http://tinyurl.com/6t6g2yc

>> I was about to post about the glory of the OXO Good Grips manual can
>> opener myself, but Felice beat me to it. All I have to add is: Seconded!

> Hopefully, it'll last longer than an Oxo vegetable peeler, which mine
> is now duller than an Obama speech.

is there any good way to sharpen it up? The peeler that is. The speech is
hopeless.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 14:30:28 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> wrote:

> On Dec 19, 12:44*pm, zxcvbob > wrote:
> > Kalmia wrote:
> > > My ancient electric Betty Crocker has lost part of the cutting
> > > mechanism and it's headed for the trash. *I've had it with noisy,
> > > clunky, electric stuff. *Is there a decent manual out there? * I like
> > > fit-in-the-drawer SMAAAAL, as it won't win countertop space. *I prob.
> > > open only one or two cans a week.

> > > (Thank you cat food mfrs. for the pull tab lids.)

> > Swing-Away. *Get the full-sized one, not the Jr.
> >
> > Some of the knockoffs are just as good or even better, but some of them
> > are crap. *So buy the original. *Clean and oil it a couple of times per
> > year and it'll last forever.
> >
> > -Bob

> Yeah, but don't these have to be wall mounted? I want to stow it in a
> drawer.

Swing-A-Way has hand models. I haven't seen one to mount on the wall
in decades. Just go to the grocery store and buy whatever they have
on the rack.
--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 14:32:57 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> wrote:

> Yikes - 37 dollars? 45 for the one with pliers. I guess German
> engineering costs. I'll think about it.

I'm headed to the grocery store right now, I'll try to remember to
check and see what brand they have and the cost. It shouldn't be more
than $10, most likely a lot less.
--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:
> On Dec 19, 12:44 pm, zxcvbob > wrote:
>> Kalmia wrote:
>>> My ancient electric Betty Crocker has lost part of the cutting
>>> mechanism and it's headed for the trash. I've had it with noisy,
>>> clunky, electric stuff. Is there a decent manual out there? I like
>>> fit-in-the-drawer SMAAAAL, as it won't win countertop space. I prob.
>>> open only one or two cans a week.
>>> (Thank you cat food mfrs. for the pull tab lids.)

>> Swing-Away. Get the full-sized one, not the Jr.
>>
>> Some of the knockoffs are just as good or even better, but some of them
>> are crap. So buy the original. Clean and oil it a couple of times per
>> year and it'll last forever.
>>
>> -Bob

> Yeah, but don't these have to be wall mounted? I want to stow it in a
> drawer.

No, they are handheld. (BTW, I found one of the Swing-Away copies
that's a good one. I got it at either Target or Walmart and the brand
says "Good Cook")

-Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pennyaline" > wrote in message
> On 12/19/2011 10:06 AM, Felice wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>
>>> My ancient electric Betty Crocker has lost part of the cutting
>>> mechanism and it's headed for the trash. I've had it with noisy,
>>> clunky, electric stuff. Is there a decent manual out there? I
>>> like
>>> fit-in-the-drawer SMAAAAL, as it won't win countertop space. I
>>> prob.
>>> open only one or two cans a week.

>> After tossing any number of unsatisfactory manuals, I happened upon
>> the Oxo Good Grips, and I love it.
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips...4314078&sr=8-3
>>
>> or, of course, http://tinyurl.com/6t6g2yc

> I was about to post about the glory of the OXO Good Grips manual can
> opener myself, but Felice beat me to it. All I have to add is: Seconded!

I third it. The OXO is great.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Dec 19, 8:37*am, Kalmia > wrote:
> My ancient electric Betty Crocker has lost part of the cutting
> mechanism and it's headed for the trash. *I've had it with noisy,
> clunky, electric stuff. *Is there a decent manual out there? * I like
> fit-in-the-drawer SMAAAAL, as it won't win countertop space. *I prob.
> open only one or two cans a week.
>
> (Thank you cat food mfrs. for the pull tab lids.)

Consumer Planet agrees with me. The timeless swing away works best
http://blog.consumerpla.net/2010/06/...rs-review.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Dec 19, 4:21*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
> On Dec 19, 8:37*am, Kalmia > wrote:
>
> > My ancient electric Betty Crocker has lost part of the cutting
> > mechanism and it's headed for the trash. *I've had it with noisy,
> > clunky, electric stuff. *Is there a decent manual out there? * I like
> > fit-in-the-drawer SMAAAAL, as it won't win countertop space. *I prob.
> > open only one or two cans a week.

> > (Thank you cat food mfrs. for the pull tab lids.)

> Consumer Planet agrees with me. * The timeless swing away works besthttp://blog.consumerpla.net/2010/06/best-manual-can-openers-review.html

Oops...didn't look at the order, the swing away was one of the best
but the oxo steel can opener ranked number one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
> My ancient electric Betty Crocker has lost part of the cutting
> mechanism and it's headed for the trash. I've had it with noisy,
> clunky, electric stuff. Is there a decent manual out there? I like
> fit-in-the-drawer SMAAAAL, as it won't win countertop space. I prob.
> open only one or two cans a week.
>
> (Thank you cat food mfrs. for the pull tab lids.)

OXO

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...K4R7M3V2KM0M4W

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I third the recommendation for Oxo.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 14:30:28 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> wrote:

>> Swing-Away. *Get the full-sized one, not the Jr.
>>
>> -Bob

>Yeah, but don't these have to be wall mounted? I want to stow it in a
>drawer.

No, they make a regular hand model too. It is my first choice. Works,
every time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
> My ancient electric Betty Crocker has lost part of the cutting
> mechanism and it's headed for the trash. I've had it with noisy,
> clunky, electric stuff. Is there a decent manual out there? I like
> fit-in-the-drawer SMAAAAL, as it won't win countertop space. I prob.
> open only one or two cans a week.
>
> (Thank you cat food mfrs. for the pull tab lids.)

Swingaway.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 15:27:35 -0800, sf > wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 14:32:57 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> > wrote:
>
> > Yikes - 37 dollars? 45 for the one with pliers. I guess German
> > engineering costs. I'll think about it.

> I'm headed to the grocery store right now, I'll try to remember to
> check and see what brand they have and the cost. It shouldn't be more
> than $10, most likely a lot less.

My brain is stuck on why you'd need pliers to use a can opener. It
does not compute in my reality of using a manual can opener for every
can opening purpose in the past 40 years... well actually "forever",
because my mother had a wall mounted manual can opener (yes, it was a
Swing-A-Way).

Okay... sorry to report that there were four models at the grocery
store that ranged from $10.79 (that price is stuck in my brain because
"79" is so unusual these days) to almost $17. Unfortunately, I left
my phone at home or I would have taken a picture of them for you to
prove how expensive they are now.. and they were all Good Cooks or GC
or something else that when you thought about it meant "good cook".

Makes me glad bought mine when I did... I think what I have were in
the $3-5 range back then. Dang. I *am* a dinosaur.
--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 15:25:37 -0800, "Pico Rico"
> wrote:

> The speech is hopeless.

His speeches are fun to follow if you're into predicting intonations.
I could turn it into a drinking game if I was in college. Play the
game until you get bored (or too drunk), then switch the channel and
watch the synopsis/highlights later on CNN or MSNBC.

--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I bought a manual about ten years ago that was a side cutting instead
of top cutting can opener, why they still make top cutting can openers
I don't know because the side cutting ones are so much better. It
lasted me until about a year ago when it finally tore up and I bought
a side cutting electric can opener.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 10:12:05 -0800 (PST) in rec.food.cooking, Jerry
Avins > wrote,
>So-called "smooth edge" side cutters remove the rim with the lid so
>the lid has no sharp edge to slice a finger with. Instead, the top of
>the can is sharp. That's hardly an improvement.

Mystery solved! Thanks a bunch! People always say "no sharp edge to
slice a finger" and I could never get an explanation of how that could
possibly be. I'm gonna throw the lid with its sharp edge away, and I
may be going to keep the can in the refrigerator for a while until it's
empty. So I really don't want a sharp edge on the top of the can.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kent" >
> I third it. The OXO is great.

And I fourth. Not only is it gentle for old hands but quite happy in the
dishwasher. AB says the nastiest thing in your kitchen is the can opener.
That's surely true for one that stays hanging on the wall or attached to
some electric powered motor. I notice some here say they hardly ever open
cans. Is that a superior virtue that we should all bow to? Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 23:26:57 -0600, "Polly Esther"
> wrote:

> I notice some here say they hardly ever open
> cans. Is that a superior virtue that we should all bow to? Polly

Dang, I don't know! Maybe I should look in to that.
--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Default "Pop-top cans/tins" was: A decent manual can opener?

On 12/20/2011 1:00 AM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 23:26:57 -0600, "Polly Esther"
> > wrote:
>
>> I notice some here say they hardly ever open
>> cans. Is that a superior virtue that we should all bow to? Polly

> Dang, I don't know! Maybe I should look in to that.

A lot of cans/tins now no longer require a can opener, which is really
nice. They're the 'pop-top' sort of tins with that little 'lever' that
pulls the tops off. Much more sanitary!

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael OConnor" > wrote in message
>I bought a manual about ten years ago that was a side cutting instead
> of top cutting can opener, why they still make top cutting can openers
> I don't know because the side cutting ones are so much better. It
> lasted me until about a year ago when it finally tore up and I bought
> a side cutting electric can opener.

I hated the side cutter. Put glue in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Kalmia > wrote:

> My ancient electric Betty Crocker has lost part of the cutting
> mechanism and it's headed for the trash. I've had it with noisy,
> clunky, electric stuff. Is there a decent manual out there? I like
> fit-in-the-drawer SMAAAAL, as it won't win countertop space. I prob.
> open only one or two cans a week.
>
> (Thank you cat food mfrs. for the pull tab lids.)

Start haunting thrift stores for an American made Swing-A-Way.
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller September 5, 2011
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> Kalmia wrote:
> > My ancient electric Betty Crocker has lost part of the cutting
> > mechanism and it's headed for the trash. I've had it with noisy,
> > clunky, electric stuff. Is there a decent manual out there? I like
> > fit-in-the-drawer SMAAAAL, as it won't win countertop space. I prob.
> > open only one or two cans a week.
> >
> > (Thank you cat food mfrs. for the pull tab lids.)

> Swing-Away. Get the full-sized one, not the Jr.
>
> Some of the knockoffs are just as good or even better, but some of them
> are crap. So buy the original. Clean and oil it a couple of times per
> year and it'll last forever.
>
> -Bob

Amen, Brudder.
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller September 5, 2011
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Kalmia > wrote:

> On Dec 19, 12:44*pm, zxcvbob > wrote:
> > Kalmia wrote:
> > > My ancient electric Betty Crocker has lost part of the cutting
> > > mechanism and it's headed for the trash. *I've had it with noisy,
> > > clunky, electric stuff. *Is there a decent manual out there? * I like
> > > fit-in-the-drawer SMAAAAL, as it won't win countertop space. *I prob.
> > > open only one or two cans a week.

> > > (Thank you cat food mfrs. for the pull tab lids.)

> > Swing-Away. *Get the full-sized one, not the Jr.
> >
> > Some of the knockoffs are just as good or even better, but some of them
> > are crap. *So buy the original. *Clean and oil it a couple of times per
> > year and it'll last forever.
> >
> > -Bob

> Yeah, but don't these have to be wall mounted? I want to stow it in a
> drawer.

They do not. About 6-7" x 2-1/2" x 1" high at the turning handle. Mine
lives in the silverware drawer. I'm with zxcvbob.
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller September 5, 2011
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article
> >,
> Kalmia > wrote:
>
>> My ancient electric Betty Crocker has lost part of the cutting
>> mechanism and it's headed for the trash. I've had it with noisy,
>> clunky, electric stuff. Is there a decent manual out there? I like
>> fit-in-the-drawer SMAAAAL, as it won't win countertop space. I prob.
>> open only one or two cans a week.
>>
>> (Thank you cat food mfrs. for the pull tab lids.)

> Start haunting thrift stores for an American made Swing-A-Way.

Not quite that easy, Barb. They are now bringing the Chinese made
parts into the US and assembling them here so the package can
be labelled Made In USA. If you get a chance compare the so-called
American units with the Chinese; they are identical. Poor fit, sloppy
gear meshing. If you have an old model, compare and cry. But even
the new ones should last a dozen years or so...

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 08:10:30 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article
>,
> Kalmia > wrote:

>> > Swing-Away. *Get the full-sized one, not the Jr.
>> >
>> > Some of the knockoffs are just as good or even better, but some of them
>> > are crap. *So buy the original. *Clean and oil it a couple of times per
>> > year and it'll last forever.
>> >
>> > -Bob

>> Yeah, but don't these have to be wall mounted? I want to stow it in a
>> drawer.

>They do not. About 6-7" x 2-1/2" x 1" high at the turning handle. Mine
>lives in the silverware drawer. I'm with zxcvbob.

The Swing-A-Way I grew up with slipped on and off a wall bracket, do
they still?

Who Makes the Best Manual Can Opener? Wayne Boatwright[_4_] Cooking Equipment 26 08-09-2009 04:13 PM
My new can opener came!My new can opener came! hahabogus General Cooking 33 12-01-2008 12:49 AM
Can opener Me General Cooking 9 08-12-2006 12:40 AM
TN: Decent Burg, not-so-decent Riesling Dale Williams Wine 0 25-05-2004 03:19 PM